Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baleful Strix

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Baleful Strix

I must admit, I'm pretty intrigued by that card. Stoneforge Mystic + Vial semi-break it for obvious reasons.
    Strix is comparable to Snapcaster Mage on several levels: replaces itself, can serve as creature removal, with the exception that it can take down 3+ toughness creatures AND replace itself. Its -1 power is balanced out by the ability to conveniently fly over your opponents' forces, which is especially nice for Stoneforge shells - in fact Snappy would probably be even more broken as a 1/1 flyer.
    I'm not implying that Strix will be format warping, but I'm sure it will see play in UWB shells. Below is a list off the top of my head for reference.

UWB Trix

4 Vial

4 Strix
    4 SFM
    4 Sprite
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Snapcaster
    3 Vendilion Clique

1 sofi
    1 Jitte

4 STP
    4 FOW
    4 Brainstorm

4 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Marsh Flats
    4 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    3 Wasteland

SB:
    2 Disenchant
    2 Extirpate
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Creature hate (Ghastly Demise / Perish / etc..)
    2 Jace, the Mindsculptor
    3 Spell Pierce
    1 flex slot

Cards that didn't make it into the MD, but are feasible nevertheless: Daze, Vindicate, Bitterblossom, Serra Avenger, Grunt, Cavern of Souls, Mother of Runes, Chrome Mox (tempting with 19 creatures basically replacing themselves)
    -------------------------

What are your thoughts on that Owl?
    ..Discuss!
    Last edited by klaus; 05-24-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Re: Baleful Strix

I don't really understand why SFM breaks this card, are you just implying that equipping a flying deathtouch creature is useful?

I feel like "replaces itself" is what it takes to make this card not horrible, as opposed to "good enough to see play in Legacy." Tidehollow Strix already exists and is just bad; trading a point of power for a cantrip does not seem like enough of an upgrade to me. Why play a mediocre removal spell stapled onto a mediocre cantrip plus a mediocre body when you could run good cards? Like, say, Lingering Souls?

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

In UWB Stoneforge shells, there are much better options (Lingering Souls, Bitterblossom, hell I'd even want Squadron Hawk over this Strix guy) to run that serve the same purpose; card advantage/parity flyer that can carry equipment like a champ.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

meh you no liky me ideaz

But seriously: Tidehollow Strix and Baleful Strix are miles apart. It's like comparing Silvergil Adept to a 2/1 Ogre - and Strix doesn't even require creatures in your hand.
    Hawks require a huge setup, Lingering Souls are extremely mana hungry and none of the aforementioned can take out Goyfs, Knights, and friends out
    I'm sure time will tell.

@Kich867:
    Yes, I'm implying that because SFM transforms Strix from a defense guy into an evasive threat.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

I think it could see play. Creating card advantage and pitching to FoW seems solid.

it also discards to Thirst for Knowledge, so there you go

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Aluren.dec anyone for this bird or is Coiling Oracle good enough?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by klaus View Post
    meh you no liky me ideaz

But seriously: Tidehollow Strix and Baleful Strix are miles apart.
    Hawks require a huge setup, Lingering Souls are extremely mana hungry and none of the aforementioned can take out Goyfs, Knights, and friends out
    I'm sure time will tell.
    I'd rather take out Goyfs, Knights, and friends with extra StP effects. Strix isn't really a removal spell; if it were, its text would be:

Destroy a creature that's attacking you and which can be blocked by a flying blue/black creature. An opponent may counter this ability by casting Swords to Plowshares, Punishing Fire, Path to Exile, Lightning Bolt, or Forked Bolt; or by activating a Grim Lavamancer, Qasali Pridemage, or removing a charge counter from Umezawa's Jitte.

Seems not so hot to me.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    I think it could see play. Creating card advantage and pitching to FoW seems solid.

it also discards to Thirst for Knowledge, so there you go
    It's Tezz-colored too

Edit:
    @ AggroZombies:
    Snapcaster requires STP in the yard and is a 3CMC spell. I'm pretty sure you're underestimating Strix.

If they waste removal on strix you should be happy because you just 0 for 1'ed them due to the cantrip ability.

It is interesting in tezz builds to be sure though. I guess time will tell with this card whether it will see play.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    If they waste removal on strix you should be happy because you just 0 for 1'ed them due to the cantrip ability.

It is interesting in tezz builds to be sure though. I guess time will tell with this card whether it will see play.
    I can see it being decent in a Tezzeret deck as well, but it doesn't excite me anywhere else. The card is pretty mediocre IMO.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by klaus View Post
    meh you no liky me ideaz

But seriously: Tidehollow Strix and Baleful Strix are miles apart. It's like comparing Silvergil Adept to a 2/1 Ogre - and Strix doesn't even require creatures in your hand.
    I'm sure time will tell.

@Kich867:
    Yes, I'm implying that because SFM transforms Strix from a defense guy into an evasive threat.
    RE: Hawk, what "huge setup" are you referring to? Resolving it? Once resolves, you go fill your hand with 3 more Hawks. From there, your options can be mundane and unexciting (cast the 3 Hawks) to AWESOME (Brainstorm/fetchland) shenanigans. Mind you, I'm not advocating any UWB Stoneforge shell running Hawk, but his practical applications seems better than what you're arguing Strix for.

This triggers the sword of the meek you discarded to thirst. Soooo much value
    DraftMagic.com - The best draft caps by the worst drafters on the net.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last Day

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I like this in Aluren and Tezzeret Stompy builds. Not sure it sees play anywhere else, but it's borderline if it does.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

This card seems way better than Wall of Blossoms in non Recruiter Aluren. Blocks and kills everything, but most important, blocks Delver. Also, higher blue count for Fow. And lastly, you can effectively go off with this+ Harpy (for obvious reasons you can't with Wall of Blossoms, unless you have a Man o War out). Aluren has become a little more consistent
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

When this was first spoiled the first things I thought of were:

Academy Ruins
    Trade with your opponent's creatures, then return it EoT to trade with another.. and without losing your draw because you put Strix on top. Also, Academy Ruins is good outside of this synergy so its not a dead card when you don't have Strix.

Esperzoa
    Use it as a draw engine when you don't have a creature to trade with. I'd say its one of the better Esperzoa bounce options atm.

On closer examination though.. this card is still a bit too weak for legacy. Its unlikely your opponent will waste a removal spell on it and when they don't its congruent to a Terminate with a cantrip (which I would play).. but I'd say it falls into the Vexing Devil category of giving your opponents too much choice over the cards you play. When you really need Strix to be a removal spell its probably just going to be a creature and die to a removal spell.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

If it had flash and hexproof I would be excited... and I have a Tezzaffintiy build. I think its an ok card for a few reasons previously mentioned but by no means is it the next delver. I liked the comparison with vexing devil, cause more oft than not its going to eat a bolt before you get a chance to block goyf, goose,delver etc. But imo vexing devil is better.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

"In the test bunker".
    So far Strixdoes just what I expect from it and I enjoy playing with it.
    The build above could probably trade the Bobs for 2-3 Flickerwisps and 1-2 Grunts for a little more oomph [has plenty of C/A already].

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    RE: Hawk, what "huge setup" are you referring to? Resolving it? Once resolves, you go fill your hand with 3 more Hawks. From there, your options can be mundane and unexciting (cast the 3 Hawks) to AWESOME (Brainstorm/fetchland) shenanigans. Mind you, I'm not advocating any UWB Stoneforge shell running Hawk, but his practical applications seems better than what you're arguing Strix for.
    Hawks as shown by Hawk Cartel require 4 Ponders to find Brainstorms and Jaces for additional BS effects, this is card offers a completely different approach, namely AggroControl.

I'm curious to hear someone who has actually tested Strix in Blade shells.

Site Contributor

Nov 2009

It has all the conditions to be run in affinity.
    -Artifact creature in Tezzeret colors
    -Cantrips without drawback
    -flying and deathtouch
    -Aggressive casting cost

What silvergill adept is for merfolk, this is for affinity. Although it has one less power, there's no drawback for cantripping and it contains flying and deathtouch. As someone who played merfolk, I can honestly say the value of replacing itself and providing a synergistic body shouldn't be frowned upon.

Decks like affinity need as much can tripping as possible because their card draws have a greater chance of drawlng dead. I doubt i'd ever feel unhappy to draw it. It'll probably replace vault skirge or something. It may also contribute to the return of a slower, lord heavy, affinity build.

Now onto really scary thought:
    Consider the miminum amount of blue cards to run Force of Will. Now take a look at this list:
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Master of Etherium
    4 Thoughtcast
    3 Tezzeret
    4 Force of Will

I don't think I need to mention that an affinity build that can consistently pull off Force of Will adds considerable resilience to sideboard hate.

Looks good in my Affinity deck. Adds removal for big stuff, counts towards Metalcraft/Plating and is flier to carry my equipament.

Costing double colored mana is kinda of a pain, but oh well.

Thread Information