Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baleful Strix

Re: Baleful Strix

Take Bant, drop KoTR, Ooze and Hierarch. Add in Thoughtseize, Baleful Strix and Dark Confidant, and get a flying guys+equipment plan together rather than big ground creatures. Or maybe just take Deadguy and add some blue for Baleful Strix. I'm sure he can fit in a deck. Really though, he compares better to Spellstutter Sprite than Vexing Devil, its deathtouch & cantrip vs. conditional counter & flash. I think the former is far stronger, but both still suffer from a measly 1 power. If you can mitigate the pathetic power, you've got a pretty powerful card on your hands.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpoe View Post
    Take Bant, drop KoTR, Ooze and Hierarch. Add in Thoughtseize, Baleful Strix and Dark Confidant, and get a flying guys+equipment plan together rather than big ground creatures. Or maybe just take Deadguy and add some blue for Baleful Strix. I'm sure he can fit in a deck. Really though, he compares better to Spellstutter Sprite than Vexing Devil, its deathtouch & cantrip vs. conditional counter & flash. I think the former is far stronger, but both still suffer from a measly 1 power. If you can mitigate the pathetic power, you've got a pretty powerful card on your hands.
    SFM fixes that issue neatly.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Looks strong with

Add Cavern of Souls and this might be the broken tribal for legacy
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I am with Klaus on this.

The combination of flying and deathtouch means that as control your opponent MUST spend a card on it before they can damage you with the attack phase. Also, +1 since it replaced itself. If that same flying creature can then deliver damage with equipment, pitch to FoW, recur with Academy Ruins, and be protected with Mother of Runes (all because of its many attributes) you have a very useful item. Not dynamite, but from a design standpoint it fills many roles in a deck. That is an attractive quality in a card that only costs 2 mana.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Seems like it would be a pretty sweet card in limited. Too bad you can't draft Planechase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

I have to agree with luckme10. Vial Affinity is the only deck that can fully utilize all of it's potential. Besides SFM, two-drops have felt underwhelming to me in that deck, and I don't even like SFM.
    My MTG Blog
    "The game is not worth the candle."

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Anyone who saw value in Vampire Nighthawk should see the value in this guy. Evasive - holds equipment well. Deathtouch - trading pawns for rooks is usually a good play. Cantrip - that's the nuts. Any creature related strategy is getting into overextension or burning a removal spell on Baleful Strix, or just being retarded and swinging into it for great justice. Can't hurt to Vial it in before blockers either. Seems real good.

I dunno if Affinity is the deck to play it in, and I only say that because the 2-drop slot is so fucking awkward in that deck. I don't even own Ravagers anymore, most of their best tricks were with Disciple of the Vault and putting damage on the stack; DotV is a bad win con and damage on the stack got m10'd, and the deck is just able to play too many cheap evasive guys to give a shit about Ravager anyway. Get a d00d in play, equip Cranial, FASE. However, I suppose it's the best looking candidate for 2-drop in a long time, and that's even considering its shitty casting cost of UB (shitty in Affinity anyway).

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Between this and the new Ninja I wonder if something could be done to drag Fairy-Ninja's up from being a Tier 2 deck?
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

He might see play in Affinity, but if he does, it will be a replacement for Thoughtcast. It's a little harder to cast, but guarantees you a flying body. Both are +1 CA. Less randomness than involved with Thoughtcast.

Just looking at the card, it's obvious this was designed primarily for EDH players who want something that can be played in the early game to ward off threats, yet doesn't feel like a "wasted" card and isn't a godawful topdeck. Mission accomplished, great design by Wizards-cru.

Not sure of the Legacy playability though. It seems to be full of value, but totally blank against a lot of decks, namely those that don't win via the combat step. That's a big strike against it. My uneducated guess is that it will either see niche play, or be relegated to the same spot Coiling Oracle is, namely "good, but not good enough".

Should've been named Beautiful Strix, IMO.

CA is beautiful. always.

Looks good with Cabal Therapy, Aluren, Jitte and Sword of X and X, Vial, TFK, Sword of the Meek, Tezzeret.

Even on it's own, against creature decks it's 2 for 1. They plow it ? You cantripped and you got their plow. They don't plow it ? It creates a board-stall if they don't have Mother of Runes.

The only problem is that the cost is UB, which forces to play.. well, UB..

It's still not close to Scavenging Ooze, Dark Confidant and the like..

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Granted its at 3cc and its in odd colors but you can bounce it with Esperzoa every turn to Cascade. Probably not playable.

The ninja seems pretty cool at Ninjitsu for 1U but I doubt it will see play. Its hard to say what you might want to copy to a good effect. Really fat creatures will likely leave you dead in the water before you can take advantage of this guy.. or it since they are legendary, this will just function as a kill spell at 1U to trade with a legend. Also.. its not like copying a Delver or a Goblin Guide is any good when you are paying 1U for it. I think it might have been playable if it were Ninjitsu for U.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

So far I have not been involved with the Planechase stuff so I have no idea how the planar die works. One of the cards reads:

"Fractured Powerstone 2
    Artifact
    {T}: Add 1 to your mana pool.
    {T}: Roll the planar die. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery."

Are these cards Legacy legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    So far I have not been involved with the Planechase stuff so I have no idea how the planar die works. One of the cards reads:

"Fractured Powerstone 2
    Artifact
    {T}: Add 1 to your mana pool.
    {T}: Roll the planar die. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery."

Are these cards Legacy legal?
    Yes, it's the same deal as the Commander cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    The ninja seems pretty cool at Ninjitsu for 1U but I doubt it will see play. Its hard to say what you might want to copy to a good effect. Really fat creatures will likely leave you dead in the water before you can take advantage of this guy.. or it since they are legendary, this will just function as a kill spell at 1U to trade with a legend. Also.. its not like copying a Delver or a Goblin Guide is any good when you are paying 1U for it. I think it might have been playable if it were Ninjitsu for U.
    I find myself thinking in terms of CiP abilities like Ravenous Rats, Snapcaster Mage, Stoneforge Mystic Coiling Oracle, Tidehollow Sculler, or Imperial Recruiter.

I wonder if it does OK when it copies pumpers like Muscle Sliver, Lord of Atlantis, or Master of Etherium.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    The ninja seems pretty cool at Ninjitsu for 1U but I doubt it will see play.
    Just wait until the print Mutant Turtle creatures for the obvious combo.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Yes, it's the same deal as the Commander cards.
    That's odd. What if someone rolls the planar die against me?

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    That's odd. What if someone rolls the planar die against me?
    The same thing as when they tap their Command Tower.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

hey, is anyone still testing this?

I remember testing vs Klaus on MWS, he was playing one of the first drafts of the deck, and played nicely ( he won 2-0, I was playing some sort of UBGw control deck if I recall correctly).

I've been satisfied by this build.
    By satisfied I mean that out of 100+ mws matches, I had roughly 20 matches versus decent players playing tier decks. And the deck proven to be good versus Maverick, Thresh and Reanimator, and can stand more than a chance vs Goblin (very draw- depending matchup).

I'll try to play this brew as soon as possible in a real event. Unfortunately real life is kind of hindering my ability to play paper magic lately. Give it a spin! It's fun,and full of Weathered Wayfarers shenanigans enabling perpetual Wasteland locks (with Jotun) and mini Ancestrals with Brainstorm.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
    1 Mutavault
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Island
    1 Scrubland
    3 Wasteland
    1 Plains
    3 Tundra

//Creatures
    2 Mirran Crusader
    3 Baleful Strix
    2 Jotun Grunt
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Weathered Wayfarer
    4 Spellstutter Sprite
    1 Ninja of the Deep Hours
    1 Snapcaster Mage

//Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Ęther Vial
    4 Force of Will

//Sideboard
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Purify the Grave
    3 Meddling Mage
    2 Disenchant
    2 Perish
    2 Engineered Plague

Display deck statistics
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Thread Information