Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the most Ridiculous play your opponent has made?

Man of the Bounce
    Apr 2011
    City of Angels

What is the most Ridiculous play your opponent has made?

Or what is the craziest shit you've ever seen while playing the game of Magic?

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Re: What is the most Ridiculous play your opponent has made?

Paying 2 life to Mental Misstep my Raven's Crime.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Site Contributor
    Sep 2011
    Middle of Somewhere, Nowhere.

Game 2 versus Zoo, I had an opponent keep a 3-Confidant no black source hand.

That, and missing the storm by ONE.
    "The last top 8 slot went to the winner of that Death and Taxes mirror, or as I like to call it, the White Supremacy Mirror.
    "Swiggety Swagtusk, Here comes the Thragtusk!"

In response to "What's the best replacement for Force of Will?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn
    Modern

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

Playing Vintage. Semifinals of a tournament. It's Game 1. I'm on the play.

Me: Scalding Tarn into Volcanic Island. Mox Jet. Bob.
    Him: Force
    Me: Force back removing Snapcaster. Bob resolves.
    Me: Surgical Extraction his Force of Will.
    Him: Reveals hand of Tinker, Lotus, Sapphire, Top, Tarn.
    Me: Sigh.

Photo credit: Lotushead

turn one on the play.
    Me: Snow-Covered Swamp, dark rit, dark rit, hymn to tourach.
    Them: force pitching force.
    Me: thoughtseize take daze. They have tundra tarn strand jitte. Play bob. Pass.

God i love stupid people on mws.

Englishman in New York
    Dec 2008
    Western Austria

Spell Snare countering a Daze ^^

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Dazed a spell to mindgame a crucial spell I needed and my opponent did not pay the mana. Also one time I echoing truthed a Dreadnought when both of us had one in play and in response he scooped. Good times.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Oct 2009
    Hamburg, Germany

Me: game winning spell

Him: Daze bouncing untapped Island without tapping for mana...

Me: Daze...GG

Or even better:

Me playing TES vs Dredge

I have a a hand full of gas with something like this: Ritual/Rite/LED/LED/Petal/rdm spell and only need one tutor/AdN to win but im literally dead as his grave contains: 2x Cabal Therapy, 2x Ancient Grudge and he has mana open to use the Grudges and two creatures to flash back the Therapies...He passes the turn without using the Therapies, i hit the tutor, i lay down the LED's and the Petal one by one and he does...nothing...
    currently playing:

Maverick, Dredge, TES..: still lot of work to do...

- anonyme Weltstars -

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

This is a long one.

I'm playing ANT and I'm paired against Counterthopters, on game 3. He opens Top, Balance, then ETutors for Canonist. Things are getting really grim. I draw Empty the Warrens, and play it for 1 storm to not let him attack. He blindflips on CB: Engineered Explosives. Yeah, that one too. People behind us laugh, and I'm mentally ready to concede the game.
    He untaps confidently, laughs a bit, and ATTACKS STRAIGHT me. I declare blockers with the 2 tokens. He realizes the punt immediately but it's too late.
    Canonist dies; he goes second mainphase, plays EE for zero, and then HE POPS IT.
    "There are no tokens on the field anymore".
    "Oh god true true"- undoes EE. I allow it.

The match goes on, and we get into a situation where he has 5 untapped lands, 3 cards in hand, and still CBTop, while I have seven cards in hand. He taps 4 and plays Elspeth; I decide this is the time to go for it. I have something like Infernal Tutor, Cabal Ritual, Dark Ritual x2, Duress, Extirpate, LED. I draw ritual. Untap, draw, Duress him, he blindflips Thopter Foundry, lets it resolve, reveals Spell Pierce, Brainstorm, Stp. I take Spell Pierce. Play ritual, he Brainstorms in response tapping out, I ritual x2 in response. First ritual resolves--> he left the Foundry on top. Play Extirpate on Spell Pierce to shuffle his deck (and nuke eventual Force pitch). I feel I'm going to win this one. Storm is enough; his only chance is to flip a cmc 2.

I cut the deck, and Cabal Ritual. He blindflips.

SWORD-OF-THE-FUCKING-MEEK.

Crowd behind me (mostly friends) goes wild. He laughs embarassed and says "what a luck". I swear loudly and a judge passing nearby reproaches me.
    In the end I drew that match, but meh, it felt pretty bad to tie a won game for a luckstroke after he punted several times (even in the combo turn making questionable choices with his hand).

--------------------------
    Also, one I actually did against Bant: Doomsday into Meditate, petal, duress, ritual, Tendrils. A fuckton of mana already in pool, him with 2 cards, probably blanks. Play Meditate, duress reveals nothing, petal;

Me: "Tendrils you for 24".
    Him: "Ehm, there's Gaddock Teeg on the table."
    Me: 1 minutes in astonishment with my friends sitting around me and LMAOing.

Worst overconfidence-burnout ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Jul 2009
    NRW, GER

Team America vs RandomStuff:
    I have three lands, he has two cards in hand. I cast Hymn to tourach, he responds with Daze by returning an island to his hand. I pay...

Doomsday vs. HiveMind:
    he does his shit, resolves HiveMind and casts Pact of the Titan and Pact of Negation while I have three lands and an LED in play. Upkeep my Pact copies trigger, in response I cast Dark Ritual so I can pay both of my Pacts. He FoWs my Dark Ritual...

Doomsday vs. ScepterChant (is it The Mighty Quinn?!):
    A 1st turn Gitaxian Probe shows me that he has a Scepter and an Abeyance in hand. Due to his Abeyance I can not combo out. On turn 4 he has his Scpeter and imprints Abeyance and locks me out for several turn. In my final turn I need to combo off due to lethal on the board. So I look disapponted and tell him "Alright, it´s my upkeep. Wanna do something?". He activates Scepter, I respond with Silence. GG

Ugb Thresh vs. some sort of Maverick:
    I get beaten by Thrun which I can not handle by any means. He wants to double the clock and casts Thrun.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Well, this was not an opponent play but is really fun indeed. Once I was playing Dreadstill with Countertop in a friendly match vs a friend of mine. I blindflipped cc1, cc2, cc4 (!!!Jace on Jace) and cc5 (!!! Obviously Force on Force) in like 6 turns, consecutively. I countered basically everything without Top, seeming that I almost stacked my deck... I was playing against Landeed if I recall correctly. Unreal...
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

At Ovinogeddon 6 in Milan, earlier this year:

Me:
    Underground Sea, Swamp, Island - I'm @ 2 life

My opponent:
    Savannah, Taiga, Fetchland - He's @ 4 life

Both players with 1 card in hand, he plays Price of Progress to draw the game. I respond by casting Daze, returning my Underground Sea. He looks at me, smiling like a total douchebag, cracks his Fetchland for Savannah, says "pay! ".

Made my day!
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Picieli89
    Worst overconfidence-burnout ever.
    This is why Storm players aren't allowed to have emotions.
    One time, my opponent fizzled but Tendrils'd me for 18 on turn 1 anyway.
    I was playing a The Gate variant, and figured I could make up the lost ground pretty quickly. I played Tortured Existence and passed.
    The next turn he played Rite of Flame and Grapeshot.
    All of my hate.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

The Vintage side event at GP LA circa 2003, 2004. I'm playing WG Dragon, the most ridiculous deck in existence ever. I've got the slick tech no one else is running that makes this thing unstoppable, namely Bazaar of Baghdad and Tarnished Citadel. First round I get paired against a guy that I drove up with. It's a bad matchup; he's playing Parfait. Sucks, but there you have it.

I open up a turn 1 kill hand with Entomb/Animate/Whispers of the Muse and the Ritual. This is the best thing I can hope for, since it will let me win before he can get his enchantment removal online.

I lose the die roll and my opponent goes Black Lotus, sac for white. Use 1 to Argivian Find the Lotus. Play Lotus, sac for white. Play Sol Ring, tap for 2 colorless. Land Tax, Scroll Rack, Balance to 0 lands and 1 card in hand, burn 1.

I should've just scooped there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

Island, go.
    PTT (Formerly of MTT) - We make Champion

Site Contributor
    Dec 2007

When I play control and my opponent's life is 20 he has a sylvan library in play and he never pays life for drawing cards.

Another "good play" that I once saw : a standstill from uw control in turn 2 against merfolks and merfolks had resolved a aether vial in his turn 1.

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

With BUG versus NO Bant in G2 (he sided out NO).

He has jace active for many many rounds finding a lot of threats and removal for my creatures. My liliana and a ton of removal & snapcaster fight his creatures until he realizes that he has only 1 noble hierarch left in his deck.

He starts +2 the jace and got him to 9 counters before I ultimate with Liliana and gave him the choice to keep the jace or his 12 lands + jitte. He somehow felt he has a bigger chance with noble hierarch beeing the only wincondition left in his ~20 card library and let the jace die. I had only 3 creatures left in the deck, so my odds to kill his jace in time were very low.
    Currently playing: Elves

Nov 2009

I'm the person in a game that the opponent says "pay xxx to cast ____." I say okay, and about 30 seconds later, am like "oh wait, what just happened?, ah I probably wanted to do something about that"
    Anyone who eats hot dogs with their mouth is doing it wrong, as far as I’m concerned.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Kitchen Table game some years back, I was the "competitive" player and people generally didn't like my tournament decks so I'd build random off the wall jank and try to win with terrible cards just to make my friends happy.

Right until the game where i was playing mono black (no good discard, just shit like distress, mind rot... my creatures were flesh reavers and rotting giants, etc.. lots of removal though)..

My opponent, friend of mine I've known for years playing a mono-white deck with lots of pro black creatures and removal, figures he has this in the bag, so he's talking so much shit you'd think that's all he ate for a week.

We shuffle up, he cuts my deck like 15 ways to Sunday, I win the die roll and open the following grip:

Swamp, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Phage the Untouchable, Lightning Greaves.

I don't think my friend ever got over his rage from that play.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

At GP:Providence. This wasn't me, but saw it.

Player 1: Burn
    Player 2: Landstill, at low life, Standstill in play.

Player 1: Pyrostatic Pillar
    Player 2: Counterspell
    Player 1: Standstill trigger. Draw 3 cards.

This was awhile ago, but happened to me.

Player 1: Aggro Loam (me)
    Player 2: Counter Burn

Player 2: Browbeat
    Player 1: Target?
    Player 2: You, duh.
    Player 1: I choose to not take damage.
    Player 2: ... picks up Browbeat and reads it. Damnit.
    Player 1: Draw 3 cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

Thread Information