Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 169

Thread: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

  1. #21
    Greatness awaits!
    Lemnear's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2010
    Location

    Berlin, Germany
    Posts

    7,023

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    In a deck with Merieke, Tradewind Rider and Fauna Shaman it's plain stupid to not run some untap-effects like Quirion Ranger or Seedborn Muse.

    All those lists are ergo half-assed attempts between Maverick and a Fauna-Shaman-toolbox which is not only slow as hell but also plain worse than Fauna Shaman + Quirion Ranger + Vengevine.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

    Join us at Facebook!

    Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

    Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

  2. #22
    Site Contributor

    Join Date

    Aug 2012
    Posts

    343

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    In a deck with Merieke, Tradewind Rider and Fauna Shaman it's plain stupid to not run some untap-effects like Quirion Ranger or Seedborn Muse.

    All those lists are ergo half-assed attempts between Maverick and a Fauna-Shaman-toolbox which is not only slow as hell but also plain worse than Fauna Shaman + Quirion Ranger + Vengevine.
    I don't understand. Both lists buloid linked run Quirion Ranger + Scryb Ranger. They also run Murkfiend Liege instead of the Seedborn Muse you suggested.

  3. #23
    Greatness awaits!
    Lemnear's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2010
    Location

    Berlin, Germany
    Posts

    7,023

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    Indeed missed the Liege. Ignore my post
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

    Join us at Facebook!

    Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

    Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

  4. #24
    Site Contributor

    Join Date

    Aug 2012
    Posts

    343

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Indeed missed the Liege. Ignore my post
    Prophet of Kruphix is also worth considering in place of Murkfiend Liege and Seedborn Muse.

  5. #25

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    yes a revival of ATS and yes Lemnear is right in saying that it's a variation of Maverick

    what do you guys think?

    quite a rogue deck honestly, but it's these decks that [sometimes] catches people unprepared and don't know what to board it against it.

  6. #26
    Site Contributor
    apple713's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2012
    Location

    Manhattan, NY
    Posts

    2,088

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    I feel like if any deck is to be competitive it needs game against combo in the main deck. Thalia is a good option and same with canonist. blue gives access to spell pierces. Something is needed tho to be competitive.

    If this isn't to be competitive, the list looks good, like an old survival toolbox.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

    Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

    Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

    why cards are so expensive...hoarders

  7. #27
    Just call me Dick.
    Richard Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2011
    Location

    Your mom's house.
    Posts

    2,133

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    Grabbed one of the lists buloid posted for Cockatrice and it's hilariously fun to play. It's also surprisingly good vs. other midrange decks. Where I really found it struggling was keeping creatures on the board through the early turns, either against tons of removal in RUG/UWR or active Jitte from Esper. I've been testing Plaxmanta, and so far it seems pretty good. Sylvan Safekeeper is another option for this effect, but I don't think we run the land count to support it. Right now it's living in the Trygon Predator spot, but that might not be correct.

    I dropped the maindeck Teeg for Thalia, as it really feels like he holds us back more than the opponent by cutting off Zenith and Force. It may be correct to have neither in the main and just board into hatebears for combo.

    I also swapped Murkfiend for Prophet of Kruphix, because giving all our guys flash is awesome and really helps speed things up in the late game. I just wish there was a more cost-effective version of this effect, it always seems that by the time I can cast a 5-drop, I've got control of the board anyway.

    I also just realized how cute Skaab Ruinator is with Shaman...
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

    "Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

  8. #28

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    I have to say, this deck is an absolute blast to play. Right now I'm trying to figure out which deck is more powerful, this or most. Pod is obviously insane, and once it's down can take over the game, but the fact that most runs forces and brainstorms is pretty attractive to me. Does anybody have any insight into the strengths and weaknesses of each deck? I'll try to find out for myself as I playtest them both more.

  9. #29

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    Quote Originally Posted by Countertoplol View Post
    I have to say, this deck is an absolute blast to play. Right now I'm trying to figure out which deck is more powerful, this or most. Pod is obviously insane, and once it's down can take over the game, but the fact that most runs forces and brainstorms is pretty attractive to me. Does anybody have any insight into the strengths and weaknesses of each deck? I'll try to find out for myself as I playtest them both more.
    I find that either deck durdles for the first few turns trying to do three things:

    a.) keep dorks alive
    b.) pray that you get a landplay per turn
    c.) pray you fish out a shaman or a zenith.

    and in the last two points, emphasis on praying HARD.

    I just find the games playing out for too long and this deck dies to combo. in a playtest last night, i lost to Tin-Fins (even with a Peacekeeper ready for the next turn) as the infinite recursion of Korlis + Griselbrand + entomb Emrakul for the re=shuffle just worked on the opponent's turn 1.

    in another game, a resolved Peacekeeper kept a Merfolk deck at bay. I Spell Pierce'd a Jace, but took me 4-5 turns to lock the game with Gaddock and Spellskite. I was intending to tutor up Tradewind Rider the next turn but the Merfolk player conceded. The 1W tax on Peacekeeper honestly kept me from going nuts, but it saved my ass. A vapor snag or another jace would've been gg for me as I had no other outs than the long SPell Pierce i had in hand.

    I find that the deck doesn't have enough early game threats or blockades (like a Baleful Strix or Goyf or a Smiter) to just hold aggro decks off, but i think 3-4 turns is all it needs to start it's setup to fully go off 1-2 turns later.

    what have you guys experienced from playtesting?

  10. #30

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    Quote Originally Posted by buloid View Post
    I find that either deck durdles for the first few turns trying to do three things:

    a.) keep dorks alive
    b.) pray that you get a landplay per turn
    c.) pray you fish out a shaman or a zenith.

    and in the last two points, emphasis on praying HARD.

    I just find the games playing out for too long and this deck dies to combo. in a playtest last night, i lost to Tin-Fins (even with a Peacekeeper ready for the next turn) as the infinite recursion of Korlis + Griselbrand + entomb Emrakul for the re=shuffle just worked on the opponent's turn 1.

    in another game, a resolved Peacekeeper kept a Merfolk deck at bay. I Spell Pierce'd a Jace, but took me 4-5 turns to lock the game with Gaddock and Spellskite. I was intending to tutor up Tradewind Rider the next turn but the Merfolk player conceded. The 1W tax on Peacekeeper honestly kept me from going nuts, but it saved my ass. A vapor snag or another jace would've been gg for me as I had no other outs than the long SPell Pierce i had in hand.

    I find that the deck doesn't have enough early game threats or blockades (like a Baleful Strix or Goyf or a Smiter) to just hold aggro decks off, but i think 3-4 turns is all it needs to start it's setup to fully go off 1-2 turns later.

    what have you guys experienced from playtesting?
    What you said is absolutely true. Both trade pod and most are ridiculous once the engine gets going, but it's so hard to get there. I've been playing both lists a lot, and in my opinion they just seem to take way too long to get going, which is kinda a death sentence in the current legacy environment.

    Based on the games I've played, the shaman version feels a bit stronger, having access to force of will and brainstorm in addition to the creature toolbox have been stronger than pod in a lot of games. All in all, I feel like both versions of the deck are a bit underpowered, which makes me sad because I love the idea of a strong creature toolbox deck.

    I wish survival would get unbanned.

  11. #31
    Member
    DireLemming's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2008
    Location

    Slovenia
    Posts

    141

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    Nic Pod [http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=60221] is a deck in similar vein (albeit not as cool) that addresses a lot of shortcomings of Trade Pod.

  12. #32
    Thinking about Magic...
    kingtk3's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2011
    Location

    Italy
    Posts

    590

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I also swapped Murkfiend for Prophet of Kruphix, because giving all our guys flash is awesome and really helps speed things up in the late game. I just wish there was a more cost-effective version of this effect, it always seems that by the time I can cast a 5-drop, I've got control of the board anyway...
    How the testing of Prophet of Kruphix is going on? Did he won you games whereas Murkfiend would not? On paper I like the prophet too but I'm a bit concerned because he's in bolt range; Murkfiend, on the other hand, it's out of bolt and helps your other creature stay out of punishing fire range.

    What do you think is more relevant, the bigger body and the "protection" to the other creatures or the ability to untap all creatures and lands and flash?
    Ignorance is strength

  13. #33

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    Quote Originally Posted by DireLemming View Post
    Nic Pod [http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=60221] is a deck in similar vein (albeit not as cool) that addresses a lot of shortcomings of Trade Pod.
    seems to be a broken link. would you mind posting the URL again?

    thanks!

  14. #34
    Site Contributor

    Join Date

    Aug 2012
    Posts

    343

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    Quote Originally Posted by buloid View Post
    seems to be a broken link. would you mind posting the URL again?

    thanks!
    Just remove the trailing "]": http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=60221


    BTW here is an article he posted on SCG: http://www.starcitygames.com/article...At-SCGMKE.html

  15. #35
    Just call me Dick.
    Richard Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2011
    Location

    Your mom's house.
    Posts

    2,133

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    How the testing of Prophet of Kruphix is going on? Did he won you games whereas Murkfiend would not? On paper I like the prophet too but I'm a bit concerned because he's in bolt range; Murkfiend, on the other hand, it's out of bolt and helps your other creature stay out of punishing fire range.

    What do you think is more relevant, the bigger body and the "protection" to the other creatures or the ability to untap all creatures and lands and flash?
    By the time you drop either one of these guys, you should have a good board position that includes Moms already, so I don't think bolt is much of a concern. The pumps provided by Murkfiend make him a better finisher, but Prophet gives you so much more value by untapping all your creatures and lands. I think there's still room for debate, but on paper I'm definitely leaning towards Prophet. The bigger question to me is whether we need that kind of effect, or if we'd be better served by some kind of finisher in that spot, or if we need to have a 5-drop at all. I always find myself having to spend a turn fetching up extra Hierarchs/Birds to even get to 5 mana...at that point I'm not sure I wouldn't just rather have a Thrun or True-Name to beat down while I tie up the board.

    Also a way to win through our own Peacekeeper would be nice. That card is a boss in certain matchups.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

    "Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

  16. #36

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    It's like I died and went to 1998. Or was it '99? If you're looking for a good 5 drop, Thragtusk does some work.
    Put some Recurring nightmares somewhere and it would be quite a spicy meatball.

  17. #37
    Just call me Dick.
    Richard Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2011
    Location

    Your mom's house.
    Posts

    2,133

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    Played this weekend to a 1-3 finish. Lost to Dark Maverick, Team America/BUG Delver, and Junk. Won against bye. This deck is hilariously fun, but Jesus it's horrible right now. Everyone has Golgari Charm and Zealous Persecution in the board, and we just don't have anything that deals with that except Murkfiend, which comes down too late. Maybe more counters or something.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

    "Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

  18. #38

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    it pains me to hear that our pet deck got that result.

    maybe now's just not its time given the attention TNN and elves have gotten recently. it'll have it's time im sure, just not at the moment.

    i'm just going to keep playing this deck on Cockatrice or IRL if i manage to get some pikulas (no alara ones for me) and the blue duals.

  19. #39
    Just call me Dick.
    Richard Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2011
    Location

    Your mom's house.
    Posts

    2,133

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    I mean there's also the fact that I'm generally bad at Magic and I have no effing clue how to play this deck yet, but with half the manabase being 0/1s, an early Jitte/Charm/Persecution is a huge setback. I will say that I won one game because I basically flooded on lands and had an early hardcast Prophet. Untapping all my lands and giving guys flash was actually huge, but that was also a deck without Bolts, so make of it what you will.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

    "Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

  20. #40

    Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

    Hello everybody!
    I'm one of italian most players that use the deck since SotF, following the evolution of this concept in many different version (with pod, with brainstorm and fow, ecc). I've collected some tops in 50-60 players tournament in Italy, but too many tops lost for bad luck (yeah, i know that everyone says that, but in my case it's true ^^).
    Most is the most (lol) complicated and Skill-intensive deck that you ever experienced, and after 3 years and half still there are ways to improve my skill with the deck: but after the first (hard) steps you could find a incredibly flexible deck that has only few (but important) weak points:
    -Punishing Fire, the most serious
    -Terminus, less worrisome
    -Fast combo like TES/Belcher/Only Spells
    -Old Card like Humility, Cursed Totem ecc

    It has no impossible MU other than Aggro Loam (not so played, anyway) but, on the other hand, you have no auto-win MU (most positive are Tribals (Elves, Merfolks, Elves), Bug -very positive- and slow combo like S&T). This is the list from my last recorded top:
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...0&iddeck=85893

    Hope to have planted a little seed of this gorgeous and unique deck and sorry for my baaaaad english

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)