Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

Re: Trade Pod (Tradewind Rider Birthing Pod)

Your english is fine man.

WHat i like about the deck is that it's easy to build other than the duals.

The starts are very slow, but the deck goes nuts after some turns.

Need your view though: Given that TNN decks, Bant Maverick, Jund and combo seem to be the top-tiered decks for now, how well do you think the deck will perform?

7 fetches. 4 shuffle effect perms. X gsz's/chords. I think the density of dudes could be reduced and 2 sylvan libraries could be added since it's ... you know insane. In addition you have Finks / Feeder which can absorb some life loss. It's also hard not to include the 5 drop angel that gives infinite life with feeder. Finishing through attrition is ok or you could go with a hard to kill evading tutor target like Sigarda.

I think this deck should run veteran explorer + cabal therapy. It's a very powerful ramp and disruption engine, and it helps against combo as well.

Archangel of thune seems nice since this deck also runs spike feeder. In addition, the angel works really well with glen endra.

Quote Originally Posted by pfiremc13 View Post
    I think this deck should run veteran explorer + cabal therapy. It's a very powerful ramp and disruption engine, and it helps against combo as well.

Archangel of thune seems nice since this deck also runs spike feeder. In addition, the angel works really well with glen endra.
    Explorer+Cabal could be good -i've tested them a bit- but add more black is unsafe, otherwise Dark Confidant could be wonderful.
    With the metagame shift to Nemesis (Patriot, Bant, Team America) and the decrease of Jund (in Italy, of course, but latest SCG tops too) this deck is... perfect.
    Decks like Bant and Team America are exactly what we want to find, combo is always a good MU execpt for Belcher/All Lands, Miracle is few played and the only bad thing is the sideboard against TNN (Golgari Charm, Zealous, Infest ecc) works well against us too (but it's only post side, yes).
    With all these things in mind, i'm now playing this list ^^

4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Savannah
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Bayou
    2 Forest
    1 Windswept Heath

4 Green Sun's Zenith

4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Fauna Shaman
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Tradewind Rider
    1 Merieke Ri Berit
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Meddling Mage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Peacekeeper
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Spellskite
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Glen Elendra Archmage
    1 Sublime Archangel
    1 Quirion Ranger
    1 Wilt-Leaf Liege

2 Sylvan Library

2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

SB: 3 Zur's Weirding
    SB: 1 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 4 Swan Song
    SB: 2 Spellskite
    SB: 1 Scavenging Ooze
    SB: 2 Peacekeeper
    SB: 1 Wilt-Leaf Liege
    SB: 1 Sword of Fire and Ice

SFM+equip is an idea, i'll test in these days: they're Meta-Slots, let's put it this way...

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Memories of the Time, I have a few questions about your list and would like to read more about your thoughts and experiences with the deck...

Btw, it seems to me like the MOST deck could have its own thread.

With the anticipated TNN-hate of the current meta, how come you're playing full sets of Birds of Paradise, Noble Hierarch and Mother of Runes? Did you decide to keep them and play 1+1 Wilt-Leaf Liege for protection, excluding Murkfiend Liege from the deck in the process? I was assuming it to be important to reduce the amount of X/1's to make the deck less vulnerable in that aspect. And Murkfiend Liege seemed like a very synergistic card with the rest of the deck.

What are the main reasons for putting a second Vendilion Clique in the maindeck? Stoneforge Mystic? And on this topic, I was expecting a second card for destroying artifacts in the sideboard, how come there isn't? Revoker, Tradewind, Clique, Spellskite are enough together with the single Pridemage?

What's the main reason for using 3 Peacekeepers? Improving the matchup against Elves?

Why Zur's Weirding over additional counterspells? Any comment on the anti-synergy with Gaddock Teeg? Just play whatever you happen to have access to first?

I'm curious about using 1-2 Stasis in this deck, any comments on it? Have seen it in some lists. It seems like it could potentially lock down a lot of opposing decks, and have great synergy with the deck. Especially if you add Murkfiend Liege and a second Quirion Ranger. Similarly I've been considering a Winter Orb. Perhaps accompanied by an Enlightened Tutor.

Oh boss, i like talking about this deck so... good =D

@-1-1 effects: they aren't so ubearable, i mean, we have managed Terminus untill few months ago, this new cards leave us Fauna Shaman, Rider, Meddling ecc ecc... Murkfiend liege is a card that i've tested for years, but really don't like it after SOTF ban. Too expensive for its impact in the game. The trick is the same, don't over-extend, go slowly keeping mana open for Swan Song+daze-pierce effect... Or hurry and play a fucking Glen Elendra, unbelievable card.

Vendillion Clique is anothr amazing card, very strong in so many situations: SFM, Combo, Miracle... And don't forget it's one of our best options in attack!
    Never felt the nedd of another Qasali-Effects, really: Equip isn't a great problem (except for Jitte, of course), and so on... If you want, an idea is:
    -2 SFM -2 equip +3 decay/Unexpectedly Absence.

Peacekeeper are insane in this meta if you can protect it with Mothers: gg against elves, S&T, TNN decks.

Zur's Weirding is another unknow card that wins the game alone against Combo and Miracle (Goodbye Entreat/Terminus, what a pity). Now, with the demise of Miracle (In Italy there're still many) we can think another card decreasing the number of slots... not sure, it's very wonderful. Yes, no anti-synergy with gaddock: we need one of these to win these MU

Wit SOTF there were Dimir Infiltrator+Stasis, now i'm resigned... with Decay, plus...
    Static Orb is an idea, with Liege that works only with it.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Thanks for your answers, Memories of the Time! By all means keep writing when you have something!

Would suggest you have a look at Derevi, Empyrial Tactician which fits very well in the deck. You pay 3 for it and untap one when it resolves making the net cost 2, and if you can attack with a single creature during the same turn you played it then it ends up with a net cost at 1. It's a flier so it's pretty easy to sneak it through, and then it untaps so you can block with it. If you have an active Tradewind Rider you can still attack with all your fliers and then use them for bouncing. And with one Liege around he becomes a 4/5 flier. You can use your Fauna Shaman extra times, or a Cradle/Rofellos for massive mana. And he gets better with a Stasis or Winter Orb around. Occassionally you may want to tap down opposing Islands to prevent the opponent from countering an important spell. Don't know what else you may want to tap post combat.

I thought I'd write my first tournament report. I really like reading others' reports so I think I owe it to the Source. :) Bear with me if it's not perfect, not concise enough, or if I have confused what happened in the games; also I'm not able to summarize all the deck comments I would like to. I'm interested in some discussion, should there be any. I haven't made up my mind on exactly what to play yet, spent some time contemplating deck building choices this afternoon and finally I literally had to throw the deck together to run to the subway and barely making it in time for the tournament.

I hope it's ok to post it here. I've seen it in other decks' threads and I don't really want to start a separate tournament thread for this, seems better here in the developmental decks section and with the interwoven discussion of card choices. You can correct me if I'm wrong in doing it.

On to the report. I played in a 13-14 people local Legacy tournament today, playing MOST for the first time and ending up 1-2-1. It was a nice deck to play. It showed some strengths and potential, unfortunately I had a lot of mulligans and think I had some pretty bad starts in the two games I lost. Still I played one more land (a Tropical Island) than Memories of the Time.

Below is the decklist that I ran.

Main deck:

Lands: 17

4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Savannah
    2 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Bayou
    1 Windswept Heath

Sorceries: 4

4 Green Sun's Zenith

Creatures: 34

4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Fauna Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 Quirion Ranger
    2 Tradewind Rider
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Meddling Mage
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Merieke Ri Berit
    1 Peacekeeper
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Glen Elendra Archmage
    1 Mystic Snake
    1 Derevi, Empyrial Tactician
    1 Murkfiend Liege

Enchantments: 1

1 Stasis

Instants: 4

3 Brainstorm
    1 Spell Pierce

Sideboard:

Enchantments: 2

2 Zur's Weirding

Instants: 7

2 Swan Song
    1 Force of Will
    1 Envelop
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Zealous Persecution

Sorceries: 1

1 Armageddon

Creatures: 5

1 Rhox War Monk
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Harmonic Sliver
    1 Meddling Mage
    1 Phyrexian Revoker

Comments on the deck:
    - I'd like to have a few more counterspells in the main. Maybe one Force of Will and one more Spell Pierce. Or a Negate. I like a low amount and variation to not become predictable but still be able to stop a game-breaker every now and then.
    - Stasis is such a game-defining card, easy to cast and in great synergy with the deck. It's very tempting to play it as a one-off. I won't necessarily mind if it's eventually caught by a Decay; Spellkite could protect it though (I don't have one yet). If it doesn't win you the game, which it's capable of, it should still be a pretty good play around turn 2-3 when the opponent is tapped out and you'll have plenty of time to go about your business of building up a board state before they can play an answer or you just release it. Playing it lategame with an active Tradewind should also be nice.
    - I was thinking of playing one or two Glittering Wishes in the main. The comments won't fit here, see below!
    - Derevi was commented on above.
    - A Spellskite should probably be added to the maindeck. Will get one.
    - I think the Quirion Ranger is very good at utilizing resources, it can get you two extra mana each turn and protects you from Wastelands. So I wanted a second one (or third next to Scryb Ranger). With the second one in the deck it should be easier to both get Tradewind Rider into play and use it repeatedly in the first turn. Which seems powerful. And then I added the Stasis because it's easier to get infinite Stasis with a third Ranger in the deck. Or so I reason. And Force of Will becomes better with the Stasis. And Brainstorms become better with the extra land bouncing. And then there's Derevi who becomes slightly better with Stasis and Tradewind Rider. And Murkfiend Liege. I guess that's the motivation of why I put the deck together like this.

Glittering Wish:
    I'm considering a Glittering Wish or two in the main to access the sideboard cards in game 1 and to get more virtual copies of the answers:
    - Abrupt Decay for Grim Lavamancer / Umezawa's Jitte
    - Orzhov Pontiff / Zelous Persecution for True-Name Nemesis / Tribal
    - Meddling Mage vs combo or control
    - Rhox Warmonk vs burn or aggro
    - Harmonic Sliver vs Omnishow.
    - Wilt-Leaf Liege if there is a Liliana in play seems ok, don't own it yet though.
    - Should have some answer to put into hand if playing against Sneak and Show, but I don't know what would fit.
    Living wish overlaps well but can't get Abrupt Decay, which was the reason I started thinking of a wishboard.

Comments on the sideboard:
    - I lack your Spellkites, one Zur's Weirding and two Swan Songs. Would primarily like to add a Swan Song or two.
    - I want to add more Swan Songs, but
    - I missed 2 Peacekeepers in the sideboard and would have liked to play one or two Wilt-Leaf Lieges. I don't own them yet.
    - Since Ooze can be fetched by 8 cards in the main deck I decided to try some other cards in the sideboard. Am a bit light on graveyeard hate though, adding Rest in Peace with an Enlightened Tutor would be an attractive complement.
    - The Zealous Persecution may be excessive. A second Pontiff may be better. But I was thinking of playing it a turn earlier once/if Glittering Wish is in the maindeck.

First match: UR with Guide, Snapcaster and Lavamancer
    Results: 1-1
    Round 1: A first turn Goblin Guide keeps attacking for several turns and I manage to turn the game around at about 3-4 lives. Think I win with an 8/8 Scavenging Ooze.
    Round 2: 2 Grim Lavamancers early on kill almost everything. But his graveyeard empties, he's struggling to put cantrips into it and I get a Rhox Warmonk, with Murkfiend Liege in play it's a 5/6 lifelinker that trades with Snapcaster Mage and a Lavamancer and a bolt. Then I think I draw lands for 3-4 turns and eventually die while trying to get enough mana to survive through Ooze while he's attacking with two flipped Delvers and one unflipped, the second Lavamancer and probably a Snapcaster.
    Round 3: We have about 3-4 minutes to play it out and don't finish.
    Conclusions: Gaea's Cradle would have been good for utilizing the Ooze fully. Rhox Warmonk was very good.
    SB: +1 Orzhov Pontiff, +1 Zealous Persecution, +1 Rhox Warmonk, +1 Phyrexian Revoker, +1 Abrupt Decay(?); -1 Spell Pierce, -1 Gaddock Teeg, -1 Mystic Snake(?), -1 Stasis(?), possibly one more card boarded out for a Decay

Second match vs Omnishow: 1-0
    Round 1: Both of us have a slow start. I expect to die quickly but eventually get a Tradewind Rider into play, I think I GSZ'ed for a Ranger and then bounce all his lands during the next 2-3 turns. Think I drew a lot of Mother of Runes.
    Round 2: [edited] He plays an early Cursed Totem and I get my second GSZ through for Harmonic Sliver to get rid of it. Stasis enters the battlefield just after that when he's mostly tapped out and with a Swan Song for backup. I slowly build up mana for a Fauna Shaman for a Tradewind Rider and time is called about that time I think.
    SB: all the counterspells, Zur's Weirding, Meddling Mage, Armageddon, Harmonic Sliver; out with all Mother of Runes, Scavenging Ooze, Peacekeeper, Merieke Ri Berit, Murkfiend Liege, Qasali Pridemage (probably a mistake)

Third match vs Team America: 0-2
    Round 1: Think I started with two mulligans after hitting no lands. He starts with Deathrite Shaman and then a Hymn to Tourach (taking Glen Elendra and Brainstorm). Then he plays a Liliana of the Veil I believe. Meanwhile I have been playing my lone forest, I think, and 2 BoP's and 2 Fauna Shaman that were immediately killed by 3 Abrupt Decay and 1 Daze, and a Gaddock Teeg which was FoW'ed (pitching a FoW). Game over.
    Round 2: I play a Meddling Mage, with no other creature in play, and have a choice between naming Liliana of the Veil or Abrupt Decay. I decide that trading 1 for 1 with a potential Decay is better than losing the mage to a potential Liliana (and there was a chump blocker around already). He quickly gets a decay and then plays a Liliana a turn or two later. Not sure if I managed to put much else into play. Think I lose to a Tombstalker when I have a Mother of Runes in play but no flier.
    SB: +1 Abrupt Decay, +1 Rhox Warmonk, +1 Meddling Mage, +1 Phyrexian Revoker; -1 Spell Pierce, -1 Stasis (not fun vs Liliana), and only one more card but not sure which one, I couldn't find much to remove and had to rush the decision (think it was Gaddock Teeg)

Fourth match vs Dredge (without LED's): 0-2
    Round 1: We both mulligan to 5. Via some blue card draw and discard (careful study?) and then Breakthrough he quickly fills his graveyard. I play Meddling Mage for Dead Returns. Think a Scavenging Ooze turns up in the last minute and was doing its best to balance the situation, with 4-5 lands available to remove all his Ichorids, Dread Returns (since I had to chumpblock with Meddling Mage to kill his Bridges) buying time for me to get Fauna Shaman, get it active and getting Peacekeeper. Which I unfortunately didn't.
    Round 2: I had a starting hand with Dryad Arbor and a Deathrite Shaman which I was hoping would be enough to slow him down. Think I also had 1-2 GSZ, 2 Fauna Shaman, 1 Noble Hierarch. I open with the Dryad. He draws his eigth card and discards it. A Troll I believe. My turn I play the Deathrite. His turn he dredges the Troll, then plays Breakthrough I believe and dredges 20-30 something cards. My turn I play a Noble Hierarch(?), pass the turn and die pretty quickly.
    SB: -3/4 Mother of Runes
    +1 Meddling Mage, +1 Zealous Persecution, +1 Rhox Warmonk, +1 Harmonic Sliver, -1 Spell Pierce, -1 Mystic Snake(?), -1 Glen Elendra Archmage(?)
    Comments: I really missed the Peacekeepers in this game. If I'd had some mana I could have used Fauna Shaman to get the one I actually had but I couldn't collect enough mana sources. Similarly to the game against the UR deck a Gaea's Cradle (or Rofellos) would have made Ooze very effective.
    Last edited by pettdan; 01-30-2014 at 02:08 PM.

I'm currently 2 Glen Elendra Archmage away from completing this deck. I'm just wondering, though, if there's any way it can beat a turn 1 Grim Lavamancer? That looks pretty much unbeatable unless some number of Decay is maindecked.
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by .Ix View Post
    I'm currently 2 Glen Elendra Archmage away from completing this deck. I'm just wondering, though, if there's any way it can beat a turn 1 Grim Lavamancer? That looks pretty much unbeatable unless some number of Decay is maindecked.
    Yes, he's a pain in the as*, t1 Grim is very bad: luckily he's not so used and never in more then 3 copies (usual, 1-2x maindeck). Against it we could have trinket-needle, revoker, geist, or Izzet Staticaster.
    Btw, i have forgotten to reply but i'm obv still playing this deck ^^ now i've a version with CappaBalance, 4 Meddling, 2 Yisan (i'll play him only in this version that could protect our creatures at the peak): really love CB here, yes.
    Anyway, if you want to look at the most solid (and less techy) version, i suggest this one by my friend Daniele Terra (who has invented the horrible Burning Reanimator T_T).
    http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=13787&iddeck=101330

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Memories of Memories View Post
    Yes, he's a pain in the as*, t1 Grim is very bad: luckily he's not so used and never in more then 3 copies (usual, 1-2x maindeck). Against it we could have trinket-needle, revoker, geist, or Izzet Staticaster.
    Btw, i have forgotten to reply but i'm obv still playing this deck ^^ now i've a version with CappaBalance, 4 Meddling, 2 Yisan (i'll play him only in this version that could protect our creatures at the peak): really love CB here, yes.
    Anyway, if you want to look at the most solid (and less techy) version, i suggest this one by my friend Daniele Terra (who has invented the horrible Burning Reanimator T_T).
    In my current build I have the following cards vs Grim Lavamancer:
    - Glittering Wish (for Izzet Staticaster or Orzhov Pontiff)
    - Sword of Fire and Ice
    - Phyrexian Revoker
    - Scavenging Ooze (give him a +1/+1 counter then clear the opponent's graveyard)
    - Umezawa's Jitte

Memories, always checking out your posts in the Tipo1 forum.
    - How is Yisan working for you? Any specific interactions you want to use him for? How high do you go in CMC in your deck, and which creatures seem most relevant? I'm currently stopping at CMC 3 in my build.
    - How is CounterTop working? Tops seem hard to fit in the deck, are you playing 1 Trinket Mage + 1 top? Running into problems with the low casting cost of most cards in the deck?

Here are some comments on my attempts with the deck. I've won about 2 out of 7-8(?) smaller local tournaments, so it's at least competitive to some extent.
    - Equipment:
    I tried playing 3 swords and jitte. I don't use Mystic since it seems too slow, I prefer playing a sword/jitte on turn two and attacking with it on turn three (ok, it's a best-case-scenario but Mystic does slow things down). And I don't usually find myself in situations where I wish I'd had Mystic in my deck for using Fauna Shaman to tutor for an equipment. With all the Swords you don't really need expensive creatures; the swords allow for quick offense (attack with equipped creature turn three), beefing up your creatures making you less vulnerable to sweepers and of course the effects are all very good in controlling the board and even relevant vs combo decks. Overall it seems a bit hard to justify using e.g. Sublime Archangel and/or Rafiq.

- Mirran Crusader:
    Mirran Crusader has been my main offensive weapon for a while, great with exalted and/or swords/jitte and coming down as early as turn two. Also helps vs BUG-versions.

- Glittering Wish:
    Currently I'm playing 2 Glittering Wish for Izzet Staticaster vs creature based decks, Rhox War Monk vs Burn/RUG/Zoo, Slaughter Games vs Miracles/Combo, Aura Shards vs Stoneforge decks/MUD/Enchantress/whatever, Orzhov Pontiff vs True-Name Nemesis, Merieke vs Show and Tell (or if I have an active Mother to rule the battlefield), Meddling Mage vs Combo/Punishing Fire/whatever. I think 2 is enough, it's better later in the game than turn 1-2.

- Tidehollow Sculler:
    I've started using Tidehollow Sculler instead of Vendillion Clique, moving from blue towards black. It costs one mana less (relevant since you want to play your Meddling Mage ASAP), has 2 toughness and you can play multiples. Note that if the opponent destroys Sculler with the CIP-effect on the stack, then they are giving you a 2 for 1 card advantage - so he's good at sniping removal from the opponent's hand which is relevant in case you didn't get an active Mom turn one. I'm also looking to use Sculler with Welder to prevent the opponent from drawing any cards in the lategame, and potentially stopping any miracle-effect.

- Goblin Welder:
    I'm about to try 1 Goblin Welder + 2-3 Tidehollow Sculler + 2-3 Glittering Wish (for Sphinx of the Steel Wind if Fauna Shaman and Welder are active). Also I'm considering Stoneforge Mystic/Sword of the Meek/SB:Thopter Foundry. It's nice how you can protect the Welder and get back the Thopter Foundry when the opponent manages to destroy it. Welder can also be used to get back Jitte or Revoker when they are important, or against opposing artifacts. Other nice interactions would be Batterskull (double tapping Welder to get the token back; also functioning as a creature which can't be removed by Deathrite Shaman), Baleful Strix for drawing extra cards between Sculler recursions or the slightly expensive Wurmcoil Engine for producing tokens.

- Meddling Mage:
    I've increased my Meddling Mages to 3 in the main and 1 in the sideboard, great card in preventing Abrupt Decay/Swords/Bolt/Punishing Fire or any key combo cards or sweepers (primarily massacre/pyroclasm vs combo-decks once Gaddock is online)

- Qasali Pridemage:
    I'm using 3 Qasali Pridemage in the main since artifacts seem to be extremely popular. Also 1 Aura Shards to wish for, good with 40-ish creatures and Rangers + Dryad Arbor.

- Red:
    As you may have noticed I've added Izzet Staticaster and Slaughter Games to the sideboard, and am about to add Welder to the main. I swapped my third Tropical for a first Taiga.

You are tech man, like you
    Goblin Welder is one of my loves, so go on and tell me what results you will find =D also, glittering wish is a good tutor for this deck, agree.
    Slaughter Games is damn cool but RB in his casting cost is very bad, i think that Stain the mind worths a test (i'm playing 2 in my sideboard, now)
    Sublime Archangel is a gg-card, no way: i think that she or Rafiq worths one slot to have one turn clock (often).
    Mirran is so an aggro card that i can't put it in, but without doubt he's powerfull with Equip, mothers and exalted =D but Don't think that Geist could be better?

-Yisan is slow, sure. But he can handle the game alone, letting us to keep risources in hand and restart very well after mass removal. BTW, if he could reach 2 counters game is probably ours =D In any case i wouldn't use it without cb

-Cb is... a big effort for a big effect. My boss Der Wolf (the creator of the deck) plays 4 brainstorm 3 cb 1 trinket 1 top, i play only 3 top 3 cb (4° in sideboard): haven't tested his version, anyway. I think that cb is a meta-call that you have to think in your field: lot of fair decks (patriot, UW, storm)? It's the choice for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Memories of Memories View Post
    Out of those it looks like Needle is the best answer to Grim. Revoker doesn't seem too good since the decks with Grim will just bolt the Revoker. Could you post your list with 4 Counterbalance? It seems that's the kind of deck I'd want to run. The more ways to lock up the game, the more comfortable I am. I also don't understand rafiq/sublime/geist. I don't think I want to draw them early, and it looks like they do the same thing (end the game) so why have 3?

pettdan:
    Holy crap that welder/sculler interaction sounds really nice!

You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

My current list:
    4 Birds of Paradise
    3 Noble Hierarch
    1 Quirion Ranger
    1 Scryb Ranger
    4 Fauna Shaman
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Peacekeeper
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Tradewind Rider
    1 Glen Elendra Archmage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Dryad Arbor
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Windswept Heath
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Forest
    2 Savannah
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Bayou
    1 Sublime Archangel
    1 Vendilion Clique
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Counterbalance
    1 Edric, Spymaster of Trest (spicy with CB)
    2 Yisan, the Wanderer Bard (as above)
    3 Meddling Mage
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

SB: 1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
    SB: 1 Orzhov Pontiff
    SB: 4 Force of Will
    SB: 1 Geist of Saint Traft
    SB: 2 Return to the Ranks
    SB: 1 Meddling Mage
    SB: 1 Counterbalance
    SB: 2 Stain the Mind
    SB: 1 Voice of Resurgence (very spicy)

Yes, Needle (and rip) are the best answer to Grim, no doubt. But i repeat, how many grim lavamancer do you see at your tournament?

Well, my meta can be pretty heavy on the budget decks, so preparing for Burn and Lavamancer decks isn't a bad idea here. Thanks for the list! I like it! I think I'll test that list very soon :)

Quote Originally Posted by .Ix View Post
    Well, my meta can be pretty heavy on the budget decks, so preparing for Burn and Lavamancer decks isn't a bad idea here. Thanks for the list! I like it! I think I'll test that list very soon :)
    In a cb version you can't lose against Burn: in a low-budget-decks. metagame i would play Cappa Balance for sure.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Here are a few notes on my latest experiments.

I've gone back to using Tradewind Rider, Glen Elendra, Archmage and also started using the Sublime Archangel, seeing that you're still using them, Memories. They are very good.

I tried playing 3 Counterbalance with 1 Sensei's Divining Top, 1 Trinket Mage and 2 Brainstorms. I never got it to work during the 4 rounds at a local tournament. However it's a nice angle of defense against certain decks like Pox, Burn, Elves etc... Will probably try it again later, maybe sideboarding.

I've tried maindecking 2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and 1 Glowrider with Thorn of Amethysts in the sideboard. Will continue testing this, seemed ok in the one tournament I tried it. Because of this I reduced the amount of non-creatue spells (equipments, wishes).

Vengeful Pharoah seems pretty good together with Fauna Shaman, ensuring you get a topdecked creature every turn and killing an attacking creature for free every turn. The problem is that you need Fauna Shaman to discard him, I would like to find one more discarding creature before trying him. Or I'll put him in the sideboard just to try him out.

Mikaeus, the Lunarch seems like a great card for this deck. It's a preemptive answer to Golgari Charm, Marsh Casualties, Zealous Persecution, Pyrokinesis etc. Play him as early as turn two, preferably with protection from Mother, then every other turn all your creatures get a +1/+1 counter. With a Ranger in play your creatures get up to 1,5 counters every turn. That's a pretty potent threat too considering your high amount of creatures. If you play him later in the game he can come into play with several counters of course. Notice also that he has a great synergy with Glen Elendra, Archmage, resetting the -1/-1 counters and giving you unlimited counterspells. I'm looking forward to trying Mikaeus. I'll start with 4 mothers, 1 Sylvan Safekeeper and possibly 1 Spellskite. At first I was looking at the Ajani-planeswalkers for +1/+1-counters, but Mikaeus is a creature and thus tutorable (Fauna Shaman) and protectable (Mother of Runes).

Another potent answer for sweepers is Muddle the Mixture. I'm considering trying 3-4 of them too, sometime. It can also tutor for Thopter Foundry, Sword of the Meek, Counterbalance, Abrupt Decay, Glittering Wish, Living Wish, Stony Silence, Null Rod, Zealous Persecution, Absolute Law... It offers a lot of flexibility in protecting against sweepers AND collecting combo pieces or sideboard 1-of-silver-bullets. AND offers some combo protection.

In a near future I would like to try 2-3 Spellstutter Sprite. They would then be accompanied by 2 Vendilion Clique and 1-2 Scryb Sprites. Should be nice to have access to counterspells through Fauna Shaman. And it should have good synergy with Thalia, Glowrider and Tradewind Rider...

Vengeful Pharaoh has two big weakness: the main one is to require Fauna Shaman (being uncastable for the cc), the second one is DeathRite Shaman. These are the two reasons because of i've left Squee and Anger, that are more powerfull thant Pharaoh IMHO.
    Love Mikaeus, only tested him with Ranger of Eos: very good against -1-1 effect, but i fear that 1x is a bit too slow... maybe he could deserve two slots, his effect is very synergic with our decks.
    @Why glowrider over 3° Thalia? anyway, i've tested Thalia in the Most version with vial, drs and no other dorks, 19 lands with 3 wasteland and she's very good, but too many bad topdecks =/
    @Sprite: nice card (In the Modern version of this deck vendillion-scryb-sprite is solid), especially with equips. I don't think Sprite can resolve any of the decks' problem but let's give her a chance ^^

Anyway, i'll leave here my current list: next month in Italy there will be two big events and probably i'll play this version.
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Meddling Mage
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Scryb Ranger
    3 Fauna Shaman
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Tradewind Rider
    1 Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    1 Dryad Arbor
    3 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    2 Tropical Island
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Peacekeeper
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Forest
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 AEther Vial
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    2 Noble Hierarch
    1 Merieke Ri Berit
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Sublime Archangel
    4 Brainstorm

SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 4 Swan Song
    SB: 1 Orzhov Pontiff
    SB: 2 Stain the Mind
    SB: 3 Rest in Peace
    SB: 2 Bubble Matrix

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Memories of the Time View Post
    @Why glowrider over 3° Thalia? anyway, i've tested Thalia in the Most version with vial, drs and no other dorks, 19 lands with 3 wasteland and she's very good, but too many bad topdecks =/
    I realize this may be hard to make work, but I'm giving it a try. If I manage to stick and protect a Thalia I can get Glowrider and together they are a beautiful couple. I have a second Glowrider in the board. My dream is to play Thalia turn two, then keep playing and tutoring for Glowriders for the next two turns or so. I'm hoping it could be made into some relatively frequent soft lock. Playing the Thalias + Glowrider and forcing them to have an answer if they want to keep playing non-creature spells. Playing Thalia turn two means the opponent can't Decay (or Golgari Charm) it on their turn two. Unless they get Deathrite, of course. And whatever else they do will be slow. And if I follow up with Glowrider next turn their chances of being able to answer will decrease. Also you will usually have three mana by turn two so you can play both Thalia and Glowrider on turn two - important vs combo decks. And there are practically no non-creature spells in my deck. I'm trying 2 Thalias & 1 Glowrider in the main deck and 1 Glowrider & 2 Thorn of Amethysts in the sideboard. Or 3 Thalias & 2 Glowriders in the main + 1-2 in the board.

Regarding Wasteland + Thalia.... Actually I've considered Weathered Wayfarer for comboing with my new favorite card for this deck: Mangara of Corondor. So Weathered Wayfarer + Karakas + Mangara was the idea. Of course with Rangers you always have less lands than your opponent. Play Thalias and Glowriders to slow down the opponent. Then play Mangara to kill whatever creatures they managed to play. Each Ranger in play allows Mangara to remove one more creature. Karakas isn't really necessary to make Mangara a great card in this deck, I'm usually playing 3 Rangers and having tutorable double-vindicates is good enough by itself. But a Waterfront Bouncer, Tradewind Rider or Karakas will let you redo the beautiful act next turn again. This strategy would fit well with getting Wastelands from Weathered Wayfarer to increase the pressure from Thalia + Glowriders. And come to think of it Mangara can even be used to remove several lands. This is starting to look like a decklist.

Regarding your latest decklist, two things come to mind. I'm not sure how valuable these comments are, since playing is the better judge of what works, but with all the possibilities in this deck it's hard to test everything. So with that in mind...
    If you have an Aether Vial in play, which card in the deck fits the best with it? I think Fauna Shaman is a strong competitor for that role. Being able to put any card from your deck into play at instant speed could be very good (if you have creatures for it). Meddling mage (or Gaddock I guess) to stop miracles, for example. (Actually Clique can do that too, without the Vial.) And a surprise Safekeeper can be good in many situations. But you don't seem to have much other Vial-tricks, Vial is just an effective mana resource. Underestimating it a bit probably. Anyway, because of good synergy with Vial I'd like to see a fourth Fauna Shaman.
    And the second thought is that with an active Vial and Fauna Shaman it should be good to have a Spirit of the Labyrinth in the deck. For Brainstorms, Griselbrand, Jace, Ancestral Visions etc. But of course, you're playing Brainstorms and Sylvan yourself.. Still, just play your brainstorm in response, then get Spirit and put into play. Your opponent just 3 for 1/0-ed himself. Good trick.
    Anyway, cool to see a Vial build, I'd love to see more sneaky Vial tricks though.

And here are a few bonus thoughts.
    Phyrexian Revoker could be vialed in response to Liliana. It's hard to find a good answer to Liliana but this may be close to one.
    Glittering/Living Wish benefits from Aether Vial. If you have an active Vial you can get a creature with any color combination. Like the Izzet Staticaster which I can't help liking a lot. Or Magus of the Moon. I'm looking for a place for Grenzo, maybe Vial is the answer - you'll be casting cards from your hand with Vial and your lands can keep pumping dudes into play with Grenzo's ability (and lands into graveyard - good synergy with Deathrite by the way, also for casting Grenzo).
    Dryad Arbor may work as a two of when playing Vial. Since you can throw it into play off a Vial on turn 1 for ultimate mana acceleration. Along with the claassical GSZ for Dryad on turn 1. And later in the game you can return an extra Dryad to your hand with a Ranger to tutor any creature. It helps making any late game top decked fetch lands into Fauna Shaman fodder. Not sure if it's good enough, but it's an interesting option. The second Dryad Arbor never looked better in a deck, to me. Better synergies than the Cradle, being a forest above all (and unwasteable with ranger in play) but Cradle is powerful for sure.

Good luck with the tournaments!

I've understood the thinking about Glowrider/Thalia, but at this point i think a configuration with 17-18 lands (15+2/3 wasteland) and Kotr or Wayfarer seems reasonable. Anyway, probably this way leads to a worse Maverick, dunno (for example is sad to have a tutor for land and only wasteland as utility, while there are cradle, yavimaya hollow, volrath's stronghold ecc). I think that it's an utopia have Thalia+glowrider after, and if i could tutor a card i don't want Glowrider.

@Mangara: ok, mangara is cool but... we have Merieke. Same cc, legendary, 1/1 and.... Merieke wins alone if you can activate her. Mangara doesn't. Again, i think that these tricks are good for a deck like D&T where you can have redundancy, not here where you have to tutor a lot of 1x...

I think that one card that fits perfectly with vial and the deck itself is Derevi: i'm pretty sure i don't want to search for too complicated tricks that, without vial, suck. If there are more like Derevi i'm glad to test =D
    @Spirit: could be very nice if i'd leave Brainstorm. Sad to see 3/1, another card that dies by Golgari...
    @Revoker: always considered, didn't find the place in this list untill now.
    @I've tried Glittering with 3 SFM + foundry ecc... sadly, the sideboard sucks and loses too many slots. I think that Eladamri's Call could be the perfect card for a Vial list...
    @2° Dryad: Daniele Terra, who's keeping on take 9° for rating/top 8 with this deck, plays the second dryad. I'm really thinking about it, but the main point is that his version runs 4 NH instead of 4 Drs

Bonus: Marble Titan =D

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Something that allows you to Alpha-Stirke such as Murkfiend Liege... I can't really think of anything else.
    Wilt-Leaf Liege or Tolsimir Wolfblood?

Thread Information