Thread: [Article] Eternal Europe: Judgment Day Puzzling

[Article] Eternal Europe: Judgment Day Puzzling

Guess what deck this one is about.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l..._Puzzling.html

Also contains gameplay situations.

Have fun!

edit: fixed the link
    Last edited by Mon,Goblin Chief; 06-01-2012 at 10:41 AM.
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Irken invader

Dec 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: [Article] Eternal Europe: Judgment Day Puzzling

The link don't work
    I´m a Derek, and Derek's don't run...

λόγος + τέλος
    Feb 2011
    New York

Here's the correct link: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l..._Puzzling.html

Just a heads up, got it from the storm boards, and no its not about TES.
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    If you have 3 mana and 2 draws and can't win through bullshit permanents, you are mentally deficient and probably want to examine a game with less thought. I recommend Lawn Darts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chikenbok View Post
    Here's the correct link: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l..._Puzzling.html

Just a heads up, got it from the storm boards, and no its not about TES.
    Argh, miscopied again. Fixed it.
    Also, Lauren fixed the puzzles post-haste. Nice to work with good people.
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Awesome article. I really appreciated the scenarios section as it both demonstrated the complexity of the deck, but also illustrated its power. Still the best weekly Legacy article out there.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Good job, it's nice to read something interesting for once.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4182 View Post
    Still the best weekly Legacy article out there.
    Awesome as always. Wish I could play DD
    Matt Bevenour in real life

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Doomsday isn't a good choice at the moment with SneakShow having it's hightime!
    Still great article, as always.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Nov 2010
    Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp802 View Post
    Doomsday isn't a good choice at the moment with SneakShow having it's hightime!
    Still great article, as always.

Greetings
    Can you explain why you feel that way?

May 2011
    Noricum

Because SneakAttack plays a large amount of counters, which enables Doomsday to go off too early. And for the Mid-Game - SneakAttack can either send a hastened Emrakul to clear your whole board OR they just put Griselbrand into play, draw 7/14 and counter everything to do. Doomsday is too slow to owerwhelm SneakAttack by pure speed and too weak for the midgame compared to SneakAttack! Plus Doomsday cannot handle a T1 dropped fattie.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Nov 2010
    Japan

To be honest, I disagree with you to some extent. Doomsday can deal with a turn one fatty if that fatty isn't a turn one Yawgmoth's Bargain. As Doomsday, you can go off on turn one or two (Doomsday is not too slow to do this with some consistency and no one's beating the "Turn 1 Show and Tell with castable counters too" hand), or you can drop Karakas, or in post sideboard games (Maybe even the maindeck in a meta where Sneak Show is popular or if the UW Miracle Counterbalance decks become popular), your own Emrakul to drop down for the Show and Tell. Basically, I guess I'm saying that one half of the win condition in the deck is mediocre against Doomsday (conceding that the other half is actually cuckoo-bonkers). The aforementioned Karakas and sideboard Shelldock Isle plan make Show and Tell for Emrakul slightly bad, and Sneak Attacking Emrakul out when he doesn't deal lethal damage is a crapshoot because Doomsday is a Storm deck (so it can still kill you off of one permanent in play), and the deck has little issue with going to 4-5 life because it doesn't rely on having a high life total like the Ad Nauseam decks do. Not only this, but my experience has been that these Sneak Show decks play so many counters that are card disadvantage that multiple Chants can disrupt and overwhelm them.

Basically, I think that Griselbrand is the only thing that makes the match bad (and damn, does he mess up the game when he lands), but you sort of need to have that card in play to make the game unfair, so I don't think the matchup is so bad that I personally would choose not to run Doomsday in a field of Sneak Show decks.

Jan 2011
    Austria

Because SneakAttack plays a large amount of counters, which enables Doomsday to go off too early.

Greetings
    This sentence makes totally no sense

. And for the Mid-Game - SneakAttack can either send a hastened Emrakul to clear your whole board OR they just put Griselbrand into play, draw 7/14 and counter everything to do.
    Greetings
    Not Emrakul is the problem. The DD player can also win from cards in his hand. Namida made this pretty clear.

Doomsday is too slow to owerwhelm SneakAttack by pure speed and too weak for the midgame compared to SneakAttack! Plus Doomsday cannot handle a T1 dropped fattie.
    Greetings
    This part alone shows that you have simply not much clue about the whole deck and its development.

The list in the article was developed for a MAV, Stoneblade, RUG Metagame.

When Sneakshow becomes a real pain the deck will just simply develop in another direction. (Like playin a second Karakas in the board, change the protection package to discard and so on...)

So long...
    Last edited by Climax; 06-01-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: even more things to write

May 2011
    Noricum

Youre right, this sentence doesn't mean anything...whatever...

Yes I do not now much about Doomsday, as I do not care about decks like it, at least not about their development.

Yes, I might have overrated the Emrakul-part,
    BUT
    Griselbrand is, Sneaked or Showed the real nuts. You cannot deny this.

Greetings

Nov 2010
    Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Climax View Post
    The list in the article was developed for a MAV, Stoneblade, RUG Metagame.
    I'm not sure this is the case. Is the RUG matchup not as abysmal as I think it is?

Griselbrand is, Sneaked or Showed the real nuts. You cannot deny this.
    That sentence is entirely true. You're certainly in your right to not care about Doomsday--I just wanted to know if there was something about the matchup I was missing other than that Griselbrand is a Grade-A Asshole.

Jan 2011
    Austria

Quote Originally Posted by Namida View Post
    I'm not sure this is the case. Is the RUG matchup not as abysmal as I think it is?

That sentence is entirely true. You're certainly in your right to not care about Doomsday--I just wanted to know if there was something about the matchup I was missing other than that Griselbrand is a Grade-A Asshole.
    The mu is not that abysmal. DD wins against ppl sucking at playing RUG and vice versa.
    But with 3 Basics, and the Silence/Chant Suite the deck is pretty well equipped vs. RUG.

Most time the RUG player has protection and no preassure or the other way arround.

BTW. Thanks for the article Carsten. Was a nice read. Even if i don't like more spotlights on the deck I'll play in Gent ^^
    Its true that Griselbrand is good. But this has nothing to do with Doomsday and I think it also does not belong in here.

what about - http://networkedblogs.com/yik1h - is it worth the read(buy)?

Jul 2004
    Corning, NY

Considering Stephens ability to see a ridiculous amount of lines of play, a very sharp analytic mind, and honest adept experience in playing complex combos, that is probably worth it yes.

Aug 2010
    Seattle, WA

In regards to DD(SM) I will probably buy it since, I did not care much for TM (too much has to go right) so did not purchase.

But DD, real deal, real talk, most powerful engine ever. sure, yes, gimme. will be buying soon.

also carsten, solid article as always.

no talk of the old "german" lists? for shame. are those just completely out dated?

also DD's ability to change construction due to metagame is probably the best in legacy without a doubt. i love the evolution(s) of this deck.

also BW may be the best tutor in legacy.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    what about - http://networkedblogs.com/yik1h - is it worth the read(buy)?
    It seems I just can't have access to buy it.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Strangely my "Lejay" usual account couldn't get access to it but I managed to buy it by creating another one.
    I wouldn't advise someone buying it except for laboratory maniac fundamentalists who may enjoy someone saying he broke the format with it.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Thread Information