View Poll Results: Is Show and Tell banworthy?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ban Show and Tell!

25 22.94%
  • No, ban Griselbrand instead!

9 8.26%
  • No, SneakAttack is a unfair deck among other unfair decks in Legacy.

75 68.81%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Show and Tell ban - including a poll

Re: Show and Tell ban - including a poll

Is sneakattack doing better then Maverick or RUG? Probably not. So why should something in the deck be banned, and the dominating decks left alone?

Sneak attack got a new toy, everyone is exited to try it out and the rest is crying because they don't adapt and play answears to it.

In a month or two, there might be a few sneak attack around, but most players have dropped it and played something else, meanwhile maverick and rug will continue to dominate.

Site Contributor

Nov 2009

Isn't this the same guy that started the Temporal Mastery preban poll?

You only get one of these a year buddy, and you've already used it up. Ban this thread.

Mar 2007
    RI

I voted no change. I think Sneak & Show is strong, but able to be kept in check if archetypes adapt.

I'm sure Show and Tell and Griselbrand are both being watched. I'm sure the powers that be would prefer to ban Show and Tell as it's an older card that has the potential to interact with any OP'd (non-Planeswalker) permanent Wizards may want to print in the future, see Flash and Survival of the Fittest. But as others have pointed out having an unrestricted Bargain in Legacy is definitively going to maintain builders interests, Griselbrand is showing up in many achetypes already - Dredge, Reanimator, the R/B Welder/Reanimator hybrid, which wasn't the case for Vengevine or Protean Hulk prior to their respective 'enablers' were banned.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

You may be misunderstanding me. I made this poll as a "dont-ban-this-card-poll" Not the other way. I wouldn't ever want this card to get banned.
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp802 View Post
    You may be misunderstanding me. I made this poll as a "dont-ban-this-card-poll" Not the other way. I wouldn't ever want this card to get banned.
    No one is seriously talking about banning Show and Tell yet. It's just the same handful of complainers who cry every time they can't beat the flavor of the month. By making this poll you are lending more credibility to their slanted view of Legacy. Obviously most logical people would rather wait and see what happens over the next month or two before forming an opinion.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Don't get your pants wet, just because people are crying (for now...).

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

I hope Griselbrand (or at least show and tell because I know wizards tend to not acknowledge making mistakes) will be banned soon and that they won't wait too long for it. The problem with it is that except if you play humility or your own griselbrand there is no real answer. Either you deal with the 7/7 lifelink flying body and your opponent will just win by drawing billions of cards, or you have something to prevent the ability and the 7/7 body will win the game on itself.

Sneak show being at the same time the best current deck and the dumbest deck ever in legacy also doesn't help arguing against the ban.

People in the SCG opens have been quite slow (as often) to start playing it, but sneak show has been performing very well in Europe the last weeks despite people generally trying to hate the best deck rather than play it. As we've seen with survival, maverick and rug, american people prefer to play the best deck rather than adapt to it. So I predict tons of sneak show decks in future SCG opens, and no real answer to it. And tuning a new deck to completely beat sneak show is probably a recipe for loosing against about everything else.

EDIT : I'm not a whiner. Last time I talked about a ban here, it was for flash.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Quote Originally Posted by I am the brainwasher View Post
    And thank god this majority plays "real" decks most of the time.
    It is no secret that this is one of the most hated decks for a (good) reason.
    I'll be honest, from the bottom of my heart, I fucking hate Show and Tell and all that other non-interactive riff-raff with it.

I can't help myself but this is exactly what appears everytime someone casts a S&T in front of me

One of the most explicit descriptions of the deck is propably this:
    "I don’t like this deck. When I beat it, I feel like my opponent didn’t do anything, and when I lose to it I feel cheated. "
    That picture is pretty accurate, and the same reason I would love to see show and tell banned. An overpowered deck with very little play to it? Whooooooooooooooooooo.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Please stop confusing Show and Tell (a card) with Sneak Show (a deck - one of several with Show and Tell).

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by H3llsp4wn View Post
    Please stop confusing Show and Tell (a card) with Sneak Show (a deck - one of several with Show and Tell).
    It can be argued that Show & Tell -> Dream Halls/Hive Mind is even more difficult to answer than Show & Tell -> Griselbrand. However, that comes at the expense of consistency when you need to find your kill spells. Regardless, Show & Tell is a powerful effect.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    It's just the same handful of complainers who cry every time they can't beat the flavor of the month.
    Since you started to generalize here, I'd kinda like to point out that at least my post did not include any statement about how I see the card in terms of how "banworthy" it is.
    I do agree upon the fact that the numbers and results of decks which abuse S&T are quite relative, but this doesn't prevent me from disliking the card and the stupidity that comes with it.
    On the other hand, I do see a trend that the existence of the card sculpts a meta-game that doesn't seem healthy allover. While saying that, I am indeed very well aware that different factors are creating that trend.
    This is no whining or a complain about how badly this must be fixed, but I can see the card leaving Legacy for reasons that are pretty easy to justify outside of results in pure numbers and those doesn't seem too illogical.
    Although I am not explicitly advertising a ban of it (right now), I won't cry a single tear about it if it happens.
    In response...Hypothek!

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    It can be argued that Show & Tell -> Dream Halls/Hive Mind is even more difficult to answer than Show & Tell -> Griselbrand. However, that comes at the expense of consistency when you need to find your kill spells. Regardless, Show & Tell is a powerful effect.
    Of course Dream Halls/Hive Mind should instantly win you the game and is therefor more difficult to answer. If it weren't, no one would even play these decks and just go for Sneak Show. The downside, however, is the need of the combo parts and this is what makes the Sneak Show deck so good compared to it's siblings. Consistency, as you said. So I don't see the point to even bring this up. :/

I could care less if the card gets banned, but it will at some point. It doesn't surprise me though that the deck's primary facilitators are both from Urza's Saga.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I could care less if the card gets banned, but it will at some point. It doesn't surprise me though that the deck's primary facilitators are both from Urza's Saga.
    Time to start working on Fluctuator then, I guess?
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Time to start working on Fluctuator then, I guess?
    Challenge accepted.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    Challenge accepted.
    Does this mean that Chains of Mephistopheles is worth playing (finally)?

EDIT: wow I actually spelled it right on my first try. *thumbs up*
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I understand the card is fair in a competitive metagame, and that solid deckbuilding as well as a good reading of the field will help a player overcome Show and Tell based decks*. For big-time spikes, there is no reason to ban this card, and a lot of people enjoy playing decks that revolve around the card. But I would love to see it banned because LaPille V2.1 couldn't beat it with Great Sable Stag.

I hate these kind of decks. Combo decks that drop the stupid fatties Wizards keeps printing in every set, have Force of Will backup (because the best card at cheating big things into play is not Green, Red, or even Black...it's fucking Blue), and are often difficult to meaningfully interact with. And worst of all, they don't even take the skill or have the flash that Storm does. If I get blown out by SI, at least I get a cool show, not fucking being annihilated by the fucking flying spaghetti monster because I don't have counters/O-Ring in hand/my own stupid fatty.

I'd love to see Wizards not print stupid fat that makes cheating into play so good. Bargain on a stick? Are you kidding? Not happening though, as that's how they get their skrilla. Speaking of goings on in Never-Fucking-Happening-Land, I'd also love to see S&T banned and color-shifted to a red card like so:

Me Play Dude NOW!

2RR-Sorcery (or even 1RR might work)

Each player chooses a permanent from their hand and puts it into play.

Fits a lot better in the color pie, gives red some much needed love, and allows those who like Sneak Show type decks to still play them, though Blue and all of its goodies (Force, BStorm) aren't as easily fit in.

*As an aside, I really don't even like the "Dude, metagame broheim", response when dealing with Legacy. I'd love to, it's just that not everyone can slap down the 1K+ that it might take to switch to whatever is effective in a changed meta. It's not about pet decks as much as it is about prices being totally off the wall and not conducive to easily shifting with the meta.

Aug 2011
    Italy

I voted for "No ban" from a purely meta-balance point of view but I also agree with a lot of the points Jamaican Zombie Legend makes.

unban mystical tutor.

there you go, food for trolls.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by csy View Post
    unban Vampiric tutor.

there you go, food for trolls.
    Fixed that for you. You don't know anything about the art that is trolling
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Thread Information