Thread: Echoing Truth v. Dredge

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Echoing Truth v. Dredge

General question:

Is it worth bringing in reactive creature removal vs. Dredge (i.e. Echoing Truth or Wrath of God), outside of Swords to Plowshares?

On the positive side, you can bounce a lot of Zombies (or Goblins if you face Empty the Warrens).

On the negative side, if you have to cast Echoing Truth or Wrath of God, you are already losing and they have most likely Cabal Therapied you a few times (removing your Echoing Truth or creating new Zombie tokens off the Bridge from Below trigger, which is below your Echoing Truth on the stack).

Discussion?

Resident Proctologist
    Oct 2008
    Muncie, Indiana

Re: Echoing Truth v. Dredge

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    General question:

Is it worth bringing in reactive creature removal vs. Dredge (i.e. Echoing Truth or Wrath of God), outside of Swords to Plowshares?

On the positive side, you can bounce a lot of Zombies (or Goblins if you face Empty the Warrens).

On the negative side, if you have to cast Echoing Truth or Wrath of God, you are already losing and they have most likely Cabal Therapied you a few times (removing your Echoing Truth or creating new Zombie tokens off the Bridge from Below trigger, which is below your Echoing Truth on the stack).

Discussion?
    Yes, I believe so. Even bouncing multiple narcomoebas is worthwhile.
    Also, if they flashback cabal therapy, the tokens go into play first before the naming of the card. You will remove all the tokens with ET.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

It's only a short-term solution to a bigger threat..but I think it's decent at that. Bouncing Narcomoeba(s) will often buy a turn. Bouncing several tokens for sure does. Depending on what deck you're playing, that might be all you need to stabilize.

Since Dredge plays a very special kind of Magic, almost every deck will have cards maindeck that are worse than Dredge in that Matchup. The only time I wouldn't bring in Truth would be me playing a faster or equally fast combo deck than Dredge.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    It's only a short-term solution to a bigger threat..but I think it's decent at that. Bouncing Narcomoeba(s) will often buy a turn. Bouncing several tokens for sure does. Depending on what deck you're playing, that might be all you need to stabilize.

Since Dredge plays a very special kind of Magic, almost every deck will have cards maindeck that are worse than Dredge in that Matchup. The only time I wouldn't bring in Truth would be me playing a faster or equally fast combo deck than Dredge.
    - What decks do you think are faster than Dredge?

Belcher, Spanish Inquisition

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Almost any combo deck is faster than Dredge. Even Burn can definitely race Dredge. Dredge is so slow that DeckCheck.net used to list it as an aggro deck instead of combo.
    The land of waiting where the dead sit in their thoughts' shadow, by no moon lit.

depends what are you playing and what are you expecting, I have Chain of Vapored Ichorid few time ftw. bouncing 2 moebas after draw is devastating, zombies are obvious target, but you won't likely have it in hand by that time

Quote Originally Posted by Awaclus View Post
    Almost any combo deck is faster than Dredge. Even Burn can definitely race Dredge. Dredge is so slow that DeckCheck.net used to list it as an aggro deck instead of combo.
    well last time I played against dredge we had 9 turns in the match overall, I won 2-1 and he was the one with 1st turn kill (while I had FTK in hand too, sad) ... I won't list LED dredge under aggro anymore

Any Storm deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    I won't list LED dredge under aggro anymore
    Well, Dredge and LED Dredge aren't the same thing.
    The land of waiting where the dead sit in their thoughts' shadow, by no moon lit.

I was referring to LED Dredge. I'm assuming that is the performing version?

I was referring to LED Dredge. I'm assuming that is the performing version?
    Yes, LED Dredge sees more play than regular Dredge at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Awaclus View Post
    Yes, LED Dredge sees more play than regular Dredge at the moment.
    which is stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    which is stupid
    I like what you've added to the discussion here. Super valuable to the process.

Echoing truth is a card I recently removed from my board(s) in SnT and BUG control. I did run it as a 2 spot for a while in both, but I don't feel that I really need it anymore. Id rather have soft counters to just stop the cabals/returns/leds thats just personal preference and its worked out for me thus far.

Thread Information