Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mono G Ramp

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Mono G Ramp

Was messing around with Gaea's Touch and wanted to make a deck around it. This is what I came up with:

Original Deck Idea:

4x Dungrove Elder
    4x Scute Mob
    4x Veteran Explorer
    4x Vinelasher Kudzu
    3x Dauntless Dourbark
    2x Oracle of Mul Daya
    1x Primeval Titan
    1x Wood Elves

4x Exploration
    4x Gaea's Touch
    4x Green Sun's Zenith

25x Forest

Basically the plan is to play a lot of forests and then beat face. The list can be pretty brutal versus a deck with small weenies like Threshold, but notably lacks any way of interacting with your opponent outside of attacking. It's a fun list to play with though, so it may be worth a look.

---------------------------------------------------------

Most Current Deck:

Mainboard:
    4x Dungrove Elder
    4x Sakura-Tribe Elder
    4x Scute Mob
    4x Veteran Explorer
    3x Sylvan Safekeeper
    3x Vinelasher Kudzu
    2x Champion of Lambholt
    1x Scryb Ranger
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Oracle of Mul Daya

4x Green Sun's Zenith
    3x Beast Within
    3x Umezawa's Jitte

13x Forest
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Misty Rainforest
    2x Dryad Arbor

Sideboard:
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    4x Thorn of Amethyst
    4x Storm Front
    3x Relic of Progenitus

I have found that Dungrove Elder is amazing in Legacy, being both bigger than almost anything your opponent will have and almost impossible to remove from the board without heavy investment from your opponent. The Scute Mobs do a great job at being an annoying threat and the Vinelasher Kudzus manage to be scary enough most of the time also. I am very surprised at the speed and power this deck has. It beats out many popular creature strategies out there with ease most of the time, but has difficulty with combo, especially Sneak Show. Thus, Ensnaring Bridge was thought up as a viable way to keep Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and Griselbrand from ruining your day. The deck has also recently gained a Mother of Runes-esque ability in Sylvan Safekeeper, a better ramp card in Sakura-Tribe Elder, and a way to deliver the final punch in Champion of Lambholt. These cards have all been really good so far and I have to thank Freggle for the suggestions. Scryb Ranger, another solid suggestion by Freggle, has also been added to the decklist. It makes for a very good Green Sun's Zenith target as it preforms the task that Wood Elves was for in the original deck, growing Vinelasher Kudzu, as well as providing the deck with another source of combat tricks, which green can have trouble finding at times.

It is very interesting to see the deck develop as it moves from a gimmicky deck idea to an actual decent Legacy deck and I would like to thank everyone for all of their suggestions and comments. I really appreciate the interest this deck has received and look forward to its development in the future.
    Last edited by Zupponn; 06-19-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2011

Re: Mono G Ramp

If you need some creature killing and disruption you can always add some bayou and fetches as there is no need to keep the deck mono colored. In my opinion this decks may be good against creature decks but really stands no chance against combo and maybe control. True, your critters hit hard but if you have absolutely no way to interact with the opponent or at least hold him back and disrupt him you are gonna lose. Also, apart from primeval, you don't have evasion or trample and your opponents can just block you. What are you gonna do against a resolved bitterblossom? I've never played a deck like this so i can't be 100% sure but this is the feeling I have. I do like your deck idea though.

P.s My 100 post!!! LETS CELEBRATE!!

I built a similar deck - what you have won't work unless you stall or block your opponents' strategies. [card]Cursed Totem[/card] will wreck many creature based decks. I also ramped with [card]Magus of the Vineyard[/card]. You can run more Primevals, and some other larger beats. There's a lot of wiggle room. [card]Beast Within[/card] will give you some elimination.

find some room for rancor.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorMask View Post
    If you need some creature killing and disruption you can always add some bayou and fetches as there is no need to keep the deck mono colored. In my opinion this decks may be good against creature decks but really stands no chance against combo and maybe control. True, your critters hit hard but if you have absolutely no way to interact with the opponent or at least hold him back and disrupt him you are gonna lose. Also, apart from primeval, you don't have evasion or trample and your opponents can just block you. What are you gonna do against a resolved bitterblossom? I've never played a deck like this so i can't be 100% sure but this is the feeling I have. I do like your deck idea though.
    Thanks. I'm glad you like the list. Dauntless Dourbark also has trample sometimes when the conditions are met to try and break through, but other than those 4 cards, there really is nothing. I guess the plan is to just keep swinging until they run out of blockers. I'll have to look into giving the deck some more ways to deal damage more efficiently.

Beast Within is an idea for removal, and in this deck a mere 3/3 is almost always just a chump blocker. Thrun, the Last Troll could be a way to break through counterspells and removal while Trinisphere and/or Thorn of Amethyst would be good vs things like dredge or storm. I have a feeling that there are a lot of green and artifact cards in the higher mana cost ranges that have been fairly unexplored in legacy and maybe a few of those could be hidden gems for this deck. Thresher Beast anyone?

Horn of Greed seems bonkers in this deck. Also Elvish Pioneer could be a way to ramp from the 1 drop slot.

I built a ramp/landfall version of this deck a while back;

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Land-Assault&

I've been working on it here and there with newer cards like GSZ and Primeval Titan, but I'm fairly certain the ramp engine simply takes up too many slots to allow for serious disruption against the majority of the meta. :/

All the other engines I've tried were either too slow, weak or inconsistent. I DO think there's a tier 2 deck buried in there somewhere, GSZ + Dungrove Elder + Phyrexian Metamorph has got to be a serious headache for control. Lotus Cobra's might be good, I need to get around to testing... GSZ also saves slots by doubling as ramp with Primeval Titan and Wood Elves.

Elves has numberious competitive ramp options, it would be nice if Wizards threw Treefolk, Shaman or whatever a bone or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    You have 7 win conditions... 7. I can probably beat you to death with the token you're giving me from Beast Within before you stick a win-con.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by 264505 View Post
    Horn of Greed seems bonkers in this deck. Also Elvish Pioneer could be a way to ramp from the 1 drop slot.
    Oooo... Horn of Greed does seem pretty sweet. Elvish Pioneer might be better than Exploration at the 1-drop slot. Only testing will tell.

New Frontiers is also something I need to playtest too. Could give the deck some more late game consistency and power if needed.

@Bruticus: I think that cards like Lotus Cobra and Magus of the Vineyard don't fit too well into the deck because they are not increasing your land count, which is what this deck is all about. Lotus Cobra does have a nice landfall ability, but unless you're land-screwed (which means you're more dead than usual with this deck) I'm not sure how much that extra mana can really help you.

EDIT: Also, Umezawa's Jitte could be a good addition. It fits in almost any deck.

I was referring to the problems I've found with this archetype in general, not to your deck specifically, there are other ramp engines like Arbor Elf + Utopia Sprawl + Scryb Ranger.

Dryad Arbor should be your 61st card. It's basically a free slot. Maindecking a playset of Phyrexian Metamorph can turn Thorn of Amethyst into major disruption provided you stick a thorn first. Collective Voyage is probably a better call than New Frontiers.

As far as my build's concerned, chaining Harrows and Collective Voyage off Vineyards/Cobras into Green Sun Zenithed Titans and Dungroves sounds good in theory but I'm not sure how practical it is.
    You have 7 win conditions... 7. I can probably beat you to death with the token you're giving me from Beast Within before you stick a win-con.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

After a little more testing, I have been able to come up with this list:

4x Dungrove Elder
    4x Veteran Explorer
    4x Elvish Pioneer
    4x Vinelasher Kudzu
    4x Scute Mob
    1x Oracle of Mul Daya
    1x Primeval Titan
    1x Wood Elves

4x Green Sun's Zenith
    3x Umezawa's Jitte
    3x Gaea's Touch
    2x Collective Voyage

23x Forest
    2x Dryad Arbor

The Dryad Arbor suggestion was a really good one and increases the power of the deck by a lot. Umezawa's Jitte turned out to be a fantastic card in the deck, as there is generally enough mana to both attack with it and then give it to another creature to block with without losing any tempo. Elvish Pioneer is preforming much better than Exploration did, especially with the Jitttes. Collective Voyage is never bad, but I rarely have situations where I want to see it. There are a few less threats in this version of the deck, but with a Jitte everything becomes a threat, so it sort of balances itself out. Gaea's Touch might be the worst card in the deck now, but I'm hesitant to take it out because of how explosive it can be at times. If you see any changes that I missed or have any other suggestions, feel free to let me know.

EDIT: Almost forgot that Horn of Greed turned out to be less awesome for me than for my opponents. Sure, you get lots of stuff, but they usually do also with all those fetchlands running about.
    Last edited by Zupponn; 06-04-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

I love toying with decks like this. Although I haven't tested your list specifically I can see it going into top deck mode pretty quickly. ...and your richness of draw is lacking.

ex. top decking a Gaea's Touch mid-game.

I'd look at cards that can give you cards advantage or Virtual Card Advantage.

Heartwood Storyteller looks kinda sick in here I'd see if that works out for you.

Also Thelonite Druid looks like a solid finisher in here.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Freggle View Post
    I love toying with decks like this. Although I haven't tested your list specifically I can see it going into top deck mode pretty quickly. ...and your richness of draw is lacking.
    Yeah, but it's an aggressive deck and with all the lands being pulled out, the topdecking should be more efficient than something like Dragon Stompy.
    ex. top decking a Gaea's Touch mid-game.
    That's the biggest problem that I've been having with the card.
    I'd look at cards that can give you cards advantage or Virtual Card Advantage.
    Creeping Renaissance?
    Heartwood Storyteller looks kinda sick in here I'd see if that works out for you.
    It sure does. I'll try it out.
    Also Thelonite Druid looks like a solid finisher in here.
    Possibly. I'll try it out, but just looking at it doesn't get me too excited.

EDIT: Eternal Witness is another card that I'm gonna look at trying out. It's a good GSZ target. I've been playing this deck on MTGO now and am really surprised by the speed and power that it has.

Here's the sideboard I threw together quickly:

4x Thorn of Amethyst
    3x Storm Front
    3x Relic of Progenitus
    3x Beast Within
    2x Choke

Also, I updated the OP with the latest list.
    Last edited by Zupponn; 06-04-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Pack hunt has obvious synergy with Zenith, it can grab explorers if you need more land or Dungrove Elders if you're flooded with them. Will be dead sometimes. Worth testing in 1 or 2 slots.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Wasn't there a card from MM that turns all your Forests into 2/2s until end of turn? Could be a reasonable Alpha strike sorta thing. Seems better than the Druid (still costs the same, can be used the turn it's drawn, isn't subject to removal).

No ways to force an Explorer sac is kinda meh. There's gotta be something that would work with the deck, even if it's dumb like splashing for Cabal Therapy.

Why not more Titans? Seems like an auto-include, along with a few 1-off good lands.

Jun 2009
    Quad Cities, IA

I tried something similar to this a few months ago. I'm trying to find my list on MWS now. I remember one card I was very impressed with was Birthing Pod. You can really abuse it with cheap utility creatures and it works perfectly with the ramp strategy. Here are some of the better creatures I found while I was brewing.

1 drops
    Veteran Explorer
    Noble Hierarch

2 drops
    Scavenging Ooze
    Vexing Shusher
    Viridian Zealot
    Wall of Blossoms
    Wall of Roots

3 drops
    Eternal Witness
    Dungrove Elder
    Kitchen Finks

4 drops
    Thrun, the Last Troll
    Wickerbough Elder

5 drops
    Genesis

6 drop
    Primeval Titan

7 drop
    Hornet Queen

These were the cards I was trying when I finally stopped. And the Hornet Queen may not be necessary, but I never lost when it resolved, seriously.
    Last edited by igri_is_a_bk; 06-09-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

How about Howl of the Night Pack? I know it costs 7 but shouldn't be a problem running one to drop a ton of tokens on the table. That should finish the game. Living Lands also has some promise as a finisher.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

Oct 2005
    Belchertown, MA

What about Rude Awakening? I feel that it's better than living lands or nature's resurgence...

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by evanmartyr View Post
    Wasn't there a card from MM that turns all your Forests into 2/2s until end of turn? Could be a reasonable Alpha strike sorta thing. Seems better than the Druid (still costs the same, can be used the turn it's drawn, isn't subject to removal).
    Natural Affinity?

No ways to force an Explorer sac is kinda meh. There's gotta be something that would work with the deck, even if it's dumb like splashing for Cabal Therapy.
    Attacking and blocking with it has been decent enough for me so far. I saw Birthing Pod was mentioned. That could be an idea. I originally wanted to keep the deck mono green, but since Sneak Show is almost unwinnable, I was contemplating either a black or blue splash for some kind of disruption. Red could be a possibility too now that I think about it.

Why not more Titans? Seems like an auto-include, along with a few 1-off good lands.
    You never EVER want to see more than one Primeval Titan in a game, and even when you do see him, he is not even close to being your best creature. Also, 4 Green Sun's Zeniths is like having 5 titans anyways just in case you do want to see him.

@igri_is_a_bk: Hornet Queen looks sweet. I might have to try that out myself.

EDIT: Genesis Wave might be something to try out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    ....Almost forgot that Horn of Greed turned out to be less awesome for me than for my opponents. Sure, you get lots of stuff, but they usually do also with all those fetchlands running about.
    Cracking a fetch doesnt let them draw of greed.
    "Whenever you play a land" is different from "Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control".

Exploration works with Horn of greed.
    Manabond doesnt.

Thread Information