Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: M13 Spoiler Discussion

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Re: M13 Spoiler Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    - does Maverick really need +1/+1 Counters for 3 mana?
    - isn't playing a threat instead of Ajani just better?
    Yes and No, in that order. Maverick very often just swings with one guy while the others do stuff. Ajani facilitates this.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Don't phyresis me, bro!
    Sep 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI

Ajani is a great closer, or parity breaker. But he's absolutely 100% useless in an unfavorable board state. To me, that means I don't think he'll make the cut when I'm looking at the those last few cards that need a space.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

It really depends on what you mean with an uneven boardstate. If you mean uneven as i have 0 creatures and my opponent have a swarm of creatures, not even allmighty jace or Elspeth would be handling that...

If you however mean opponent has larger a creatures or just 1 or 2 more guys then ajani will do much against that game state. Enlarging creature, puting pressure on my opponent for ultimate or multiple turns of flying / doublestrike forcing opponent to attack into the ajani. With it able to get of a couple of good blocks and / or attacks. Ajani does have quite large loyalty and will be able to take some beating of smaller creatuer. If not having creatures when playing ajani then the ajani is probly in the wrong deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizso View Post
    It really depends on what you mean with an uneven boardstate. If you mean uneven as i have 0 creatures and my opponent have a swarm of creatures, not even allmighty jace or Elspeth would be handling that...

If you however mean opponent has larger a creatures or just 1 or 2 more guys then ajani will do much against that game state. Enlarging creature, puting pressure on my opponent for ultimate or multiple turns of flying / doublestrike forcing opponent to attack into the ajani. With it able to get of a couple of good blocks and / or attacks. Ajani does have quite large loyalty and will be able to take some beating of smaller creatuer. If not having creatures when playing ajani then the ajani is probly in the wrong deck.
    Though, the pressure for ultimate is also easily removed if he attacks you.
    The land of waiting where the dead sit in their thoughts' shadow, by no moon lit.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

When it comes to planeswalkers its never as easy as just attacking them, especially not when it comes to walkers with as much loyality as elspeth and costs 3 mana.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

If you have no creatures and your opponent has 1 creature in play, jace or elspeth would most certainly save you. That's why planewalkers that can defend themselves have traditionally been playable while ones that don't defend themselves sit in trade binders.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Decks with ajani is gonna have more creatures and is in that way in less need of protection.

i just thought that this was worth pointing out:

Captains Call
    3W
    Sorcery
    Put three 1/1 White soldier tokens into play.

Talrand's Invokation
    2UU
    Sorcery
    Put two 2/2 blue drake creature tokens with flying into play.

So, blue not only generates more power for the same CMC but gets flying too? This is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius View Post

Captains Call
    3W
    Sorcery

Talrand's Invokation
    2UU
    Sorcery

So, blue not only generates more power for the same CMC but gets flying too? This is silly.
    Captain's Call is obviously better since it's a common. *snicker*
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius View Post

Captains Call
    3W
    Sorcery

Talrand's Invokation
    2UU
    Sorcery

Agreed its a bit ridiculous. I think they are trying to make blue more aggressive but thats completely wrong. Blue has always been the least aggressive color.

Of all the things they've printed, Delver was the stupidest thing they've done in a while. 3/2 for one mana is already retarded.. and then they give it flying. What did green get? Scythe Tiger? Yeah I think I'll take the guy with evasion so my opponent doesn't 2 for 1 me when they block it.

Black hasn't gotten any love for a while.. unless you want to count Treacherous Pit-Dwellers, but frankly, Tombstalker is much better in its place. I REALLY want to see an undercosted black creature with some kind of draw back. Discard seriously needs to make a come back right now.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    I think WotC should make more instant speed discard.
    Wouldn't hold my breath. In the past, they've run out this strawman argument about how instant speed discard is inherently OP, since if your opponent is almost out of cards in hand, you can use Funeral Charm or Esper Charm or whatever during their draw step, and it allegedly frustrates new consumers if they can't mindlessly cast creatures and turn them sideways. And the power level on those two spells is just obviously out of control...

Bless your heart, we must consider Blue/White Tempo's strategy and win percentages in an entirely different deck thread. -4eak

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDemonKn1ght View Post
    Wouldn't hold my breath. In the past, they've run out this strawman argument about how instant speed discard is inherently OP, since if your opponent is almost out of cards in hand, you can use Funeral Charm or Esper Charm or whatever during their draw step, and it allegedly frustrates new consumers if they can't mindlessly cast creatures and turn them sideways. And the power level on those two spells is just obviously out of control...

Considering how even Stone Rain is considered OP for T2 nowadays, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I would totally dig a black, undercosted beater with discard synergy, though.

Imagine something fat for , Vexing Devil-style, except they would have to eat a Hymn to Tourach instead of damage to the face.

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

So you want an almost strictly worse Hymn of Tourach?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post
    So you want an almost strictly worse Hymn of Tourach?
    It depends on how threating the creature would be. If it had a very strong board presence, it would be Hymn 5-8 with the added bonus getting a strong creature once they're down to <2 cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It depends on how threating the creature would be. If it had a very strong board presence, it would be Hymn 5-8 with the added bonus getting a strong creature once they're down to <2 cards.
    Maybe something like this?

Vexing Demon - BB
    Demon

Deathtouch
    When Vexing Demon enters the battlefield, your opponent may discard any number of cards at random, for each card discarded this way put two -1/-1 counters on Vexing Demon.
    5/4

If they hymn to tourach themselves you appropriately Hymn them, if they go for 1, you still get a 3/2 deathtouch for 2 and net a card, maybe even card advantage if they bolt it, if they let it go you get a huge ass beater.

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    Maybe something like this?

Vexing Demon - BB
    Demon

Deathtouch
    When Vexing Demon enters the battlefield, your opponent may discard any number of cards at random, for each card discarded this way put two -1/-1 counters on Vexing Demon.
    5/4

If they hymn to tourach themselves you appropriately Hymn them, if they go for 1, you still get a 3/2 deathtouch for 2 and net a card, maybe even card advantage if they bolt it, if they let it go you get a huge ass beater.
    That card is ridiculous.

So if they have no cards in hand I have a BB 5/4 creature? Also discarding a card at random? WTH?

Maybe you could create a strictly superior Flesh Reaver in BB, something along the lines of;

Flesh Golemn -BB
    Creature - Horror

Whenever Flesh Golemn receives damage, Flesh Golemn deals an equal amount of damage to you.

5/5

That way you have a low cost, high power creature that can give you control of the board position at the cost of life vs card advantage when your opponent has to 2 for 1 you with a Grizzly Bear and Lightning Bolt for 5 life. It trades unfavorably with Tarmogoyf and has some disynergy with Dark Confident as well, which keeps the threat within reason and encourages differentiation in deck building.

Edit:

Another idea

Drifting Soul -1B
    Creature - Spirit

Protection from White
    Whenever Drifting Soul receives damage, place an equal number of -1/1 counters on Drifting Soul instead.

4/4

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Kich867 View Post
    Vexing Demon - BB
    Demon

Deathtouch
    5/4
    5 power at 2 mana without a serious drawback is overpowered.

I would rather have some resilience over that:

Vexing Demon -
    Creature - Demon
    Protection from white, deathtouch
    When Vexing Demon enters the battlefield, any opponent may discard two cards at random. If a player does, sacrifice Vexing Demon.
    3/4

Vexing Demon
    Creature - Demon (R)
    Protection from Black, Deathtouch
    When Vexing Demon enters the battlefield, any opponent may discard two cards at random. If a player does, sacrifice Vexing Demon.
    4/4

Thread Information