Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

Re: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

I actually think it could see play, yes, it's not as good as Windborn, but it's a Soldier. Our deck does have a lot of tax effects which could complement the mini Ghostly Prison effect quite nicely. Though I don't think it will be making the cut.

Hey folks,

D&T player here. I'm looking to stream a bit of Soldier Stompy sometime in about the next two weeks. I've looked at a couple of lists here, read the recent articles that popped up, and watched the league on CFB a week or two ago. Here's what I came up with, and I'd love some feedback if it looks like I've got too much or not enough of an effect. I'm not 100% sold on Aerial Responder, but I see the niche that it fills. The Aegis of the Gods in the sideboard could probably be something else as well, but I figured diversification of hate might be good.

-Phil Gallagher

Lands (19)
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    6 Plains
    2 Karakas

Creatures (29)
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Enlistment Officer
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    3 Daru Warchief
    4 Palace Jailer
    3 Aerial Responder
    2 Fairgrounds Warden

Spells (12)
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Suppression Field

Sideboard (15)
    2 Warping Wail
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Aegis of the Gods
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Holy Light
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Armegeddon

Try the version with 4 Winter Orb MD instead of Supp Field.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Hey folks,

I 5-0'd with the decklist I posted above. Here's the video. The gameplay was super-interesting and unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    Hey folks,

I 5-0'd with the decklist I posted above. Here's the video. The gameplay was super-interesting and unique.
    That list looks great, very similar to mine, I'm guessing you got some ideas from my list. :) don't listen to MGB, Suppression Field is OP and much better than Orb, especially on time 2-3. You've got the right idea. Maybe I should be run the fourth Palace Jailers, but I have liked having two Trinis in the MD.

There wasn't a ton of data out there as a starting point. I looked at your list, Mengucci's league from CFB, and a recent article on Hipsters of the Coast. I think most of my changes and choices were pretty good. I really liked the additional removal I played in the form of Fairgrounds Wardens, and Aerial Responder, despite being slightly hard on the mana, was really important. Sideboard still might need some work though. I sort of wanted a disenchant effect of some nature, and it's possible that I should just play a playset of Leyline of the Void over my current hate setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    Hey folks,

So, like I said in the DnT thread, the first stream looked like a blast.

The second stream seemed... more mixed.

I was curious about the logic of a decision you consistently made. Several times, you had the option of turn 1 TGT, Chalice, or Suppression Field. In those cases, you always went for one of the first two. Against some combo decks, or against an unknown deck, that makes a lot of sense. But against something that can't really run away with a turn-1 play AND run fetch-heavy manabases (say, Delver variants), I still saw you opting for this play when the Field had a shot of just shutting off any fetches entirely and thus winning by default. Why do you prioritize your disruption that way?

Jun 2016
    Amsterdam

Hey Phil,

It’s nice to see someone giving attention to this deck and your 5-0 video was a lot of fun to watch! I’m a long-time Soldier player, loving the tribe and I think the deck as a whole is severely underrated in Legacy. I tried several versions over the last couple of years in local tournament settings, including the Human version with 4 Thalia’s Lieutenant and Parallax Wave, but I think the last version I used (before my 9 months visit to Nic Fit) is by far the strongest and most fun at the same time:

4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Preeminent Captain
    3 Metallic Mimic
    3 High Sentinels of Arashin
    3 Protector of the Crown
    3 Palace Jailer
    3 Ballyrush Banneret
    1 Aerial Responder
    1 Odric, Lunarch Marshal
    1 Soltari Champion

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Suppression Field
    4 Chrome Mox

6 Plains
    1 Karakas
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors

SB
    4 Rest in Piece
    3 Holy Light
    1 Disenchant
    2 Damping Matrix
    2 Blessed Alliance
    2 Armageddon
    1 Cast Out

Yess, Metallic Mimic and High Sentinels of Arashin. I dismissed Daru Warchief and Enlistment Officers some time ago after a lot of testing and these are the rightful replacements. Allow me to explain :)

Metallic Mimic vs Daru Warchief

While the toughness boost of the Warchief is the real kickoff, it doesn’t really matter if it gets removed during combat via a timely Fatal Push, Plow or whatever. I lost my team too many time because of that. The boost Mimic gives has more staying power, the +1+1 counters will not be removed. Also, multiple Mimics is bananas for this deck (I won with 5/4 first striking Thalia’s a lot) and the 1st Mimic will boosts the second one you play. Its true you have to play the Mimic before the better 2 and 3 drop Soldiers in order to make it work but the reward is well worth the wait most of the time. If not, it has some late game potential as well if they stick, although not as much as the Warchief. On the other hand, the biggest plus to play with 3 Mimics are the mulligan decisions. When I look at your video, you got a bit lucky with your Chrome Mox openers. In my experience, without opening with a Chrome Mox or a Sol land to get out a quick Suppression Field, Thalia or CotV, winning gets a LOT harder. Metallic Mimic makes it so that I kept a lot more opening hands because it can be castable turn 1 off a Sol land, following with a good 3 drop next turn that gets bigger. Although it can’t be pitched to Chrome Mox, which sometimes hurts, it makes my curve lower and my Soldiers more dangerous permanently… which gets me to High Sentinels of Arashin.

High Sentinels of Arashin vs Enlistment Officer

I have mixed feelings about Enlistments Oficer and after a long time playing with it I decided to cut it. The effect is simply too random, you need to run at least 30 Soldiers in order to hit 2+ Soldiers on average and this simply can’t be done after sideboarding. Also, sometimes when I needed lands or a Chalice, they milled the cards, and the other way around.. With 3+ Palace Jailers I felt save without them (and I will run 4 Jailers next time for sure). Enter High Sentinels of Arashin. They replaced the Officers and for good reason in this list and I won’t look back. A 3/4 flier is “ok” in Legacy, but when it comes into play as a 4/5 with haste via Preeminent Captain with a Metallic Mimic in play, it gets pretty bonkers. Besides, it kills Delvers and lives on itself. Add the fact that with a fast Mimic, all other creatures you cast next enter play with counters and the Sentinels gets real. When games did go deep, I’ve beat people with a 12/13 flying bird. Yess, sometimes its self-pumping ability counteracted with Suppression Field, but still it did excellent work for me even without the pump.

Protector of the Crown vs Captain of the Watch

Preeminent Captain could easily be the best card of the deck, but it looses a lot of power without a good six drop. For me, the Protector was chosen over Captain of the Watch for a couple of reasons. The spreaded bodies provided by CotW are pretty good (and also very combolicious with Mimic) but I found myself loosing too much against the unblockable menace that is True Name Nemesis and burn. Besides, the double W costing CotW, without Preeminent Captain, could be hard to get out in a world with Wastelands. Protector of the Crown takes damage from Nemesis as a king, soaks up late game Bolts, cost only one W (so can be played off 1 Plains and 2 Sol lands) and it get you (back) THE MONARCH. Without the Enlistments Officers in the deck it was an easy replacement. Also, it sucks up late-game damage from your own Ancient Tombs (although I had to be carefull sometimes - 2 damage gets it to 3 toughness and it could die from a Bolt), it protects the monarch by itself for at least 1 turn, it it absolutely fantastic with a Mimic in play (3/6 is waay better than 2/5) and it was a blast to sneak in via P. Captain, knowing I won’t take any damage next turn with a tapped and attacking Protector in play. Card is good on multiple levels. The only downside: it won’t protect you against an active Deathrite Shaman.

Ballyrush Banneret

My number 1 bane of the deck always was Wasteland. Stopped counting the number of times I lost to that card. Mulliganning to hands not weak to Wasteland was even harder. That’s why I never stopped using Ballyrush Banneret. The card saved me a share bit of games when I was low on lands but could keep playing Soldiers due to the early discount. Note that in a 3 land scenario after Wasteland (with no Sol lands), Daru Warchief would be uncastable. Banneret could make me play only 18 lands instead of 19. It makes High Sentinels a better Serendib Efreet for 3 mana in this deck. And it lets me run the six-drops a lot smoother. But I must admit the Banneret is definitely the weakest card in my list by itself. Mimic can get it to 3/2 sometimes but that’s it, no first strike.. Maybe I will replace it with the Fairgrounds Warden (a card that I loved to add when it first came out!) and trim a Protector.

Changes

I will definitely up the Aerial Responder count after seeing your videos. More flying is something I can get behind even with the WW casting cost. It will alos makes my 1 Odric better. And lifelink is perfect after Tomb damage.

I’m not sure about the Soltari Champion in my list. It’s a decent planeswalker killer and good with Mimic (again) but that’s about it. Also it has no synergy with Odric, which is sometimes already a win-more card. I consider it my flex spot.

I will add some number of Sorcerous Spyglass SB. I played it in other Stompy shells already and I really liked it.

I can recommend using Damping Matrix against Deathrite Shaman decks and Death&Taxes, the card is very good and I don’t think I will cut it for Spyglass. It’s also an artifact/equipment answer you're looking for. Bonus points: most opponents will read it after you play it in paper.

Warping Wail is a card I never thought about using, but I think I will run it in my future build. Seems neat & very legit.

What are your thoughts about Blessed Alliance? It is very good against Eldrazi, Griselbrands and Marit Lage and works well with Chalice on 1.

I am thinking about adding 1 or 2 Lotus Petals to the deck. When a first turn Chalice, Suppression Field or Thalia Heretic Cathar sticks, it is usually game. Or at least very very annoying for the opponent. It will also makes a turn 1 Rest in Peace from the sideboard a better possibility against reanimator (on this subject, I would not recommend to run 4 Leyline of the Void, you need as much late game cards you can get, no stinkers you can’t play). With a few Petals it will also be easier to cast Armageddon after boarding with Thalia 1 in play.
    Do you think the deck should up the first turn-2-drop (& first turn 3-drop) chances by adding Petals? Let me know what you think!

Cheers from The Netherlands,
    Bart

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Hey Phil,

It’s nice to see someone giving attention to this deck and your 5-0 video was a lot of fun to watch! I’m a long-time Soldier player, loving the tribe and I think the deck as a whole is severely underrated in Legacy. I tried several versions over the last couple of years in local tournament settings, including the Human version with 4 Thalia’s Lieutenant and Parallax Wave, but I think the last version I used (before my 9 months visit to Nic Fit) is by far the strongest and most fun at the same time:

4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Preeminent Captain
    3 Metallic Mimic
    3 High Sentinels of Arashin
    3 Protector of the Crown
    3 Palace Jailer
    3 Ballyrush Banneret
    1 Aerial Responder
    1 Odric, Lunarch Marshal
    1 Soltari Champion

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Suppression Field
    4 Chrome Mox

6 Plains
    1 Karakas
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors

SB
    4 Rest in Piece
    3 Holy Light
    1 Disenchant
    2 Damping Matrix
    2 Blessed Alliance
    2 Armageddon
    1 Cast Out

Yess, Metallic Mimic and High Sentinels of Arashin. I dismissed Daru Warchief and Enlistment Officers some time ago after a lot of testing and these are the rightful replacements. Allow me to explain :)

Metallic Mimic vs Daru Warchief

While the toughness boost of the Warchief is the real kickoff, it doesn’t really matter if it gets removed during combat via a timely Fatal Push, Plow or whatever. I lost my team too many time because of that. The boost Mimic gives has more staying power, the +1+1 counters will not be removed. Also, multiple Mimics is bananas for this deck (I won with 5/4 first striking Thalia’s a lot) and the 1st Mimic will boosts the second one you play. Its true you have to play the Mimic before the better 2 and 3 drop Soldiers in order to make it work but the reward is well worth the wait most of the time. If not, it has some late game potential as well if they stick, although not as much as the Warchief. On the other hand, the biggest plus to play with 3 Mimics are the mulligan decisions. When I look at your video, you got a bit lucky with your Chrome Mox openers. In my experience, without opening with a Chrome Mox or a Sol land to get out a quick Suppression Field, Thalia or CotV, winning gets a LOT harder. Metallic Mimic makes it so that I kept a lot more opening hands because it can be castable turn 1 off a Sol land, following with a good 3 drop next turn that gets bigger. Although it can’t be pitched to Chrome Mox, which sometimes hurts, it makes my curve lower and my Soldiers more dangerous permanently… which gets me to High Sentinels of Arashin.

High Sentinels of Arashin vs Enlistment Officer

I have mixed feelings about Enlistments Oficer and after a long time playing with it I decided to cut it. The effect is simply too random, you need to run at least 30 Soldiers in order to hit 2+ Soldiers on average and this simply can’t be done after sideboarding. Also, sometimes when I needed lands or a Chalice, they milled the cards, and the other way around.. With 3+ Palace Jailers I felt save without them (and I will run 4 Jailers next time for sure). Enter High Sentinels of Arashin. They replaced the Officers and for good reason in this list and I won’t look back. A 3/4 flier is “ok” in Legacy, but when it comes into play as a 4/5 with haste via Preeminent Captain with a Metallic Mimic in play, it gets pretty bonkers. Besides, it kills Delvers and lives on itself. Add the fact that with a fast Mimic, all other creatures you cast next enter play with counters and the Sentinels gets real. When games did go deep, I’ve beat people with a 12/13 flying bird. Yess, sometimes its self-pumping ability counteracted with Suppression Field, but still it did excellent work for me even without the pump.

Protector of the Crown vs Captain of the Watch

Preeminent Captain could easily be the best card of the deck, but it looses a lot of power without a good six drop. For me, the Protector was chosen over Captain of the Watch for a couple of reasons. The spreaded bodies provided by CotW are pretty good (and also very combolicious with Mimic) but I found myself loosing too much against the unblockable menace that is True Name Nemesis and burn. Besides, the double W costing CotW, without Preeminent Captain, could be hard to get out in a world with Wastelands. Protector of the Crown takes damage from Nemesis as a king, soaks up late game Bolts, cost only one W (so can be played off 1 Plains and 2 Sol lands) and it get you (back) THE MONARCH. Without the Enlistments Officers in the deck it was an easy replacement. Also, it sucks up late-game damage from your own Ancient Tombs (although I had to be carefull sometimes - 2 damage gets it to 3 toughness and it could die from a Bolt), it protects the monarch by itself for at least 1 turn, it it absolutely fantastic with a Mimic in play (3/6 is waay better than 2/5) and it was a blast to sneak in via P. Captain, knowing I won’t take any damage next turn with a tapped and attacking Protector in play. Card is good on multiple levels. The only downside: it won’t protect you against an active Deathrite Shaman.

Ballyrush Banneret

My number 1 bane of the deck always was Wasteland. Stopped counting the number of times I lost to that card. Mulliganning to hands not weak to Wasteland was even harder. That’s why I never stopped using Ballyrush Banneret. The card saved me a share bit of games when I was low on lands but could keep playing Soldiers due to the early discount. Note that in a 3 land scenario after Wasteland (with no Sol lands), Daru Warchief would be uncastable. Banneret could make me play only 18 lands instead of 19. It makes High Sentinels a better Serendib Efreet for 3 mana in this deck. And it lets me run the six-drops a lot smoother. But I must admit the Banneret is definitely the weakest card in my list by itself. Mimic can get it to 3/2 sometimes but that’s it, no first strike.. Maybe I will replace it with the Fairgrounds Warden (a card that I loved to add when it first came out!) and trim a Protector.

Changes

I will definitely up the Aerial Responder count after seeing your videos. More flying is something I can get behind even with the WW casting cost. It will alos makes my 1 Odric better. And lifelink is perfect after Tomb damage.

I’m not sure about the Soltari Champion in my list. It’s a decent planeswalker killer and good with Mimic (again) but that’s about it. Also it has no synergy with Odric, which is sometimes already a win-more card. I consider it my flex spot.

I will add some number of Sorcerous Spyglass SB. I played it in other Stompy shells already and I really liked it.

I can recommend using Damping Matrix against Deathrite Shaman decks and Death&Taxes, the card is very good and I don’t think I will cut it for Spyglass. It’s also an artifact/equipment answer you're looking for. Bonus points: most opponents will read it after you play it in paper.

Warping Wail is a card I never thought about using, but I think I will run it in my future build. Seems neat & very legit.

What are your thoughts about Blessed Alliance? It is very good against Eldrazi, Griselbrands and Marit Lage and works well with Chalice on 1.

I am thinking about adding 1 or 2 Lotus Petals to the deck. When a first turn Chalice, Suppression Field or Thalia Heretic Cathar sticks, it is usually game. Or at least very very annoying for the opponent. It will also makes a turn 1 Rest in Peace from the sideboard a better possibility against reanimator (on this subject, I would not recommend to run 4 Leyline of the Void, you need as much late game cards you can get, no stinkers you can’t play). With a few Petals it will also be easier to cast Armageddon after boarding with Thalia 1 in play.
    Do you think the deck should up the first turn-2-drop (& first turn 3-drop) chances by adding Petals? Let me know what you think!

Cheers from The Netherlands,
    Bart
    Thought some of your card choices were very interesting and unique so I gave it a whirl on MTGO. I already owned a pretty stock list but I've been on a bad run in leagues. My first attempt at a league I went 0-3,0-6 and dropped. I took a lot of notes and I mulliganed 7 out of 8 games and lost to land screw or land flood most of the games. Only one or two were even competitive.

So, I take this into a league last night.... Same thing. 0-5, 0-10... Not even a single game win. Some really bad shuffler problems again. I mulled every game but one and even that keep was questionable and out of frustration. I've been playing only legacy in constructed for nearly a decade and I've never had issues like this for this many games (Also just hit bad luck, like my delver opponent having no fetches against my t1 suppression field both games).

This run seems a bit rediculous.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Once you go Legacy...

Jun 2016
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by Manroe View Post
    Thought some of your card choices were very interesting and unique so I gave it a whirl on MTGO. I already owned a pretty stock list but I've been on a bad run in leagues. My first attempt at a league I went 0-3,0-6 and dropped. I took a lot of notes and I mulliganed 7 out of 8 games and lost to land screw or land flood most of the games. Only one or two were even competitive.

So, I take this into a league last night.... Same thing. 0-5, 0-10... Not even a single game win. Some really bad shuffler problems again. I mulled every game but one and even that keep was questionable and out of frustration. I've been playing only legacy in constructed for nearly a decade and I've never had issues like this for this many games (Also just hit bad luck, like my delver opponent having no fetches against my t1 suppression field both games).

This run seems a bit rediculous.
    Well lucky me I didn't force you to play the deck.

Like stated I was about to change some of the cards as the decklist was more than 9 months old, so I took my adjusted decklist to our local Wednesday evening tourney and went 2-2 with it :) It's not optimal, but it's a good start and I think my plays could be improved. This was the list I ran yesterday:

3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Palace Jailer
    4 High Sentinels of Arashin
    3 Metallic Mimic
    3 Aerial Responder
    2 Protector of the Crown
    1 Odric, Lunarch Marshal
    1 Fairgrounds Warden

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Suppression Field
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    4 Chrome Mox

6 Plains
    1 Karakas
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors

SB
    3 Rest in Piece
    3 Holy Light
    1 Disenchant
    1 Damping Matrix
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Trinisphere
    2 Armageddon
    1 Selfless Squire

This is what happened:

Round 1 - BUG Leovold 3 colors - 0-2

Game 1 I land an early Suppression Field but he opponent has 2 clean Duals instead of fetches. He casts a quick Leovold that I can Jail, but a Strix gets me off the monarch. I eat a Hymn and fail to find another white source for my Aerial Responder to save me in time. Hymn to Tourach is such a bitch of a card for Stompy decks.

Sideboard

Game 2 His Deathrite is blanked by my early Rest in Peace but again I get Hymned (2 of my Soldiers are hit) and again I fail to draw another land and white source for my Responder, the only card left in hand. A 2/1 and 3/2 Mimic gets some beats in and eventually I draw Plains but it's too late, I play Responder and High Sentinels but he has a Jace for it and Liliana of the Last Hope to kill my Mimics and its lights out with his Strixes.

I've played against this midrange deck before with Soldiers and it's not an easy matchup. They have Hymn to Tourach, bigger creatures (Goyf), True Name AND Wastelands. I can't blame the deck and I feel in this match my luck just wasn't there.

Round 2 - Pox 2-0

Game 1 I manage to get out an early Chalice on 1 and 2 Suppressions Fields, blanking a lot of his cards. Phyrexian Totem does nothing and after a 3rd Suppression Field and a lot of Soldiers my beats are too many for him.

Game 2 He is able to Ritual out a Lilian of the Veil, making us discard a lot but I manage to sneak through Thalia 1 and 2 Spyglasses on Liliana and on Totem. Nights of Souls Betrayal is slowing me down but not enough.

Round 3 - Dredge 2-1

Game 1 I'm on the play, keep a hand with just a Plains and a City with a Chalice, knowing he is on dredge but whith my lack of experience against the deck I play Chalice on 1.. he plays 2 Lions Eye Diamonds next turn, discarding into 3 red mana, then does nothing with it. I'm confused but scared anyway as I know the speed of this deck can quickly kill me. I draw no lands (again) and his second LED is cracked and after a few turns I'm facing down a lot of zombies with just my big Thalia on the field..

Game 2 I have the nuts, turn 1 I play Chalice on 1 and a second Chalice on 0 and second turn I play Thalia 1. He discards Imp in cleanup but after dredging he scoops.

Game 3 I open with 2 white sources, no Mox but with 2 Rest in Peace... decide to keep while on the draw. He Cabal Therapies... himself! and second turn he does this again, saving me my RiPs, that I do play out ofcourse. The turn after that I play Preeminent Captain, into High Sentinels, into pump with Sentinels into pump and Thalia 2 and I take it down.

Round 4 - Grixis 1-2

I was looking forward to practice against the best deck in the format.

G1 was going exactly like I wanted to. I had the nuts. Turn 1 I play Tomb and after that Chrome Mox. My opponent thinks hard and decided to Force the Mox. I play out a Spyglass for 2 life. He reveals a hand with 2 Deathrites no fetches, I name Deathrite. Turn 2 I play Suppression Field, that sticks. After that my opponent decides to wait out the game to see what creatures and gameplan I have. Arashin pump activations and Thalia 1 finish the job fast.

G2 was... not so good. On the draw again he has a quick Deathrite and True Name, I have Suppression Field again but he has natural duals. Wasteland.. I forgot to take good notes but it was painful.

G3 on the play I draw a hand with 1 Chrome Mox, no lands, a Supp Field, Chalice, Thalia 1 and 2 and High Sentinels and something, but I can't keep 1 landers (in this case the Mox), too dangerous, I've been here before. The second hand has only 1 land... Mull to 5 I draw Plains, Mox, Sentinels, Responder, Holy Light. Have to keep but it's already played ofcourse, how can I win, this is an actual mull to 3 as I play out my Plains and Mox imprinting Sentinels.. I draw a Cavern of Souls, he Wastelands and keeps making tokens of Young Pyromancer, I spare my cards until I have enough for another Mox, play a Trinisphere as bait, that eats a Spell Pierce. Than he plays Ancient Grudge on my Mox so I can't play my Holy Light. Token beatdown and I loose... Opponent tells me he had the nut hand with double Fow etc, I couldn't possibly win with mull to 5.

Notes:

The High Sentinels of Arashin / Mimic "combo" didn't came up once, but the Sentinels did a good job at pumping others to gain more power. I will still run it in these numbers.

Preeminent Captain did some work, but not like it did for me before. Will keep playing them, they are Bolt bait #1.

Aerial Responder... 50% of the time I play with Soldier Stompy I am mana-screwed somehow, wether it be via Wastelands or double Tomb /City draws, and Responders are not helping me with this with their double W. Still I think this is the deck's problem, not the Responders so I will spin them again. The lifegain was super usefull but in the matchups I lost it was not enough. Didn't face a single Delver though.

I want to add more mana to the deck. Thinking of 2 Lotus Petals in the sideboard to board in against Wasteland decks and combo to ensure quicker anti-combo hate like RiP and Trinisphere.

Cards I will cut:

Odric. I didnt have a single moment where I thought: If I onlt drew Odric I would win this one.

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Well lucky me I didn't force you to play the deck.

Like stated I was about to change some of the cards as the decklist was more than 9 months old, so I took my adjusted decklist to our local Wednesday evening tourney and went 2-2 with it :) It's not optimal, but it's a good start and I think my plays could be improved. This was the list I ran yesterday:

3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Palace Jailer
    3 Metallic Mimic
    3 Aerial Responder
    2 Protector of the Crown
    1 Odric, Lunarch Marshal
    1 Fairgrounds Warden

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Suppression Field
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    4 Chrome Mox

6 Plains
    1 Karakas
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors

SB
    3 Rest in Piece
    3 Holy Light
    1 Disenchant
    1 Damping Matrix
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Trinisphere
    2 Armageddon
    1 Selfless Squire

This is what happened:

Round 1 - BUG Leovold 3 colors - 0-2

Game 1 I land an early Suppression Field but he opponent has 2 clean Duals instead of fetches. He casts a quick Leovold that I can Jail, but a Strix gets me off the monarch. I eat a Hymn and fail to find another white source for my Aerial Responder to save me in time. Hymn to Tourach is such a bitch of a card for Stompy decks.

Sideboard

Game 2 His Deathrite is blanked by my early Rest in Peace but again I get Hymned (2 of my Soldiers are hit) and again I fail to draw another land and white source for my Responder, the only card left in hand. A 2/1 and 3/2 Mimic gets some beats in and eventually I draw Plains but it's too late, I play Responder and High Sentinels but he has a Jace for it and Liliana of the Last Hope to kill my Mimics and its lights out with his Strixes.

I've played against this midrange deck before with Soldiers and it's not an easy matchup. They have Hymn to Tourach, bigger creatures (Goyf), True Name AND Wastelands. I can't blame the deck and I feel in this match my luck just wasn't there.

Round 2 - Pox 2-0

Game 1 I manage to get out an early Chalice on 1 and 2 Suppressions Fields, blanking a lot of his cards. Phyrexian Totem does nothing and after a 3rd Suppression Field and a lot of Soldiers my beats are too many for him.

Game 2 He is able to Ritual out a Lilian of the Veil, making us discard a lot but I manage to sneak through Thalia 1 and 2 Spyglasses on Liliana and on Totem. Nights of Souls Betrayal is slowing me down but not enough.

Round 3 - Dredge 2-1

Game 1 I'm on the play, keep a hand with just a Plains and a City with a Chalice, knowing he is on dredge but whith my lack of experience against the deck I play Chalice on 1.. he plays 2 Lions Eye Diamonds next turn, discarding into 3 red mana, then does nothing with it. I'm confused but scared anyway as I know the speed of this deck can quickly kill me. I draw no lands (again) and his second LED is cracked and after a few turns I'm facing down a lot of zombies with just my big Thalia on the field..

Game 2 I have the nuts, turn 1 I play Chalice on 1 and a second Chalice on 0 and second turn I play Thalia 1. He discards Imp in cleanup but after dredging he scoops.

Game 3 I open with 2 white sources, no Mox but with 2 Rest in Peace... decide to keep while on the draw. He Cabal Therapies... himself! and second turn he does this again, saving me my RiPs, that I do play out ofcourse. The turn after that I play Preeminent Captain, into High Sentinels, into pump with Sentinels into pump and Thalia 2 and I take it down.

Round 4 - Grixis 1-2

I was looking forward to practice against the best deck in the format.

G1 was going exactly like I wanted to. I had the nuts. Turn 1 I play Tomb and after that Chrome Mox. My opponent thinks hard and decided to Force the Mox. I play out a Spyglass for 2 life. He reveals a hand with 2 Deathrites no fetches, I name Deathrite. Turn 2 I play Suppression Field, that sticks. After that my opponent decides to wait out the game to see what creatures and gameplan I have. Arashin pump activations and Thalia 1 finish the job fast.

G2 was... not so good. On the draw again he has a quick Deathrite and True Name, I have Suppression Field again but he has natural duals. Wasteland.. I forgot to take good notes but it was painful.

G3 on the play I draw a hand with 1 Chrome Mox, no lands, a Supp Field, Chalice, Thalia 1 and 2 and High Sentinels and something, but I can't keep 1 landers (in this case the Mox), too dangerous, I've been here before. The second hand has only 1 land... Mull to 5 I draw Plains, Mox, Sentinels, Responder, Holy Light. Have to keep but it's already played ofcourse, how can I win, this is an actual mull to 3 as I play out my Plains and Mox imprinting Sentinels.. I draw a Cavern of Souls, he Wastelands and keeps making tokens of Young Pyromancer, I spare my cards until I have enough for another Mox, play a Trinisphere as bait, that eats a Spell Pierce. Than he plays Ancient Grudge on my Mox so I can't play my Holy Light. Token beatdown and I loose... Opponent tells me he had the nut hand with double Fow etc, I couldn't possibly win with mull to 5.

Notes:

The High Sentinels of Arashin / Mimic "combo" didn't came up once, but the Sentinels did a good job at pumping others to gain more power. I will still run it in these numbers.

Preeminent Captain did some work, but not like it did for me before. Will keep playing them, they are Bolt bait #1.

Aerial Responder... 50% of the time I play with Soldier Stompy I am mana-screwed somehow, wether it be via Wastelands or double Tomb /City draws, and Responders are not helping me with this with their double W. Still I think this is the deck's problem, not the Responders so I will spin them again. The lifegain was super usefull but in the matchups I lost it was not enough. Didn't face a single Delver though.

I want to add more mana to the deck. Thinking of 2 Lotus Petals in the sideboard to board in against Wasteland decks and combo to ensure quicker anti-combo hate like RiP and Trinisphere.

Cards I will cut:

Odric. I didnt have a single moment where I thought: If I onlt drew Odric I would win this one.
    Hey I wasn't trying to trash you or your list. Just was whining about my run. Sorry if it came off that way

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Once you go Legacy...

Good afternoon everyone,

Some months ago I started to play this deck and I fell in love with it, as such I observed that there wasn't much updated source material for the deck in this current meta and time period. I compiled a template on what I think are the important cards and mindsets as well as some sample lists that have been observed to do well. I already posted it on Reddit since alot has changed with the decks evolution. If i'm missing some cards that you would like to see in the doc or have any suggestions please let me know. I will be updating this doc this weekend to include some notes on the monarch and some match-ups. If you have any match-up based opinions on 4c loam or lands please let me know. Critique is appreciated.

Thank you and keep on stomping.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Jun 2016
    Amsterdam

So I took this back to our local Legacy event in Haarlem again and went 3 -1 last Wednesday:

3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Palace Jailer
    3 Metallic Mimic
    3 Aerial Responder
    2 Protector of the Crown
    1 Loxodon Gatekeeper

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Suppression Field
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Lotus Petal

6 Plains
    1 Karakas
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors

SB
    3 Rest in Piece
    3 Holy Light
    1 Disenchant
    1 Damping Matrix
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Trinisphere
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Crackdown

CHANGES MAIN
    -1 Odric
    -1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    -1 Fairgrounds Warden
    +2 Lotus Petals
    +1 Loxodon Gatekeeper

Matchups:

R1 Burn 2-0

Game 1 I just had it: Turn 1 Thalia Heretic of a City and Mox, turn 2 Chalice on 1 and turn 3 Mimic accompanied with Thalia 1.
    Game 2 I just was very lucky, burn is a hard (if not impossible) matchup to win after siding (Aerial Responder does not survive 3 damage and they have Bridges), but he got stuck on a 1 lander with just a single Lavamancer while I had the nuts again: a 2/1 Mimic, 3/2 Mimic and 4/4 Preeminent Captain finished it.

R2 Mono Red Stompy 2-0

Don't remember exactly but G1 he kept a loose hand with 2 sol lands for Trinisphere but that wasn't nearly enough, he didn't find another red mana. Bit of luck again.
    Game 2 was longer, my Suppression Field and attackers turned off his Chandra, eventually my forces overwhelmed his Rabblemaster and Magus of the Moon (that helped me keeping away from damage from my own Tombs). Palace Jailer was the star here, removing his last threats.

R3 Grixis Delver 1 -2

This should be my revenge for last week against Ricardo, but I lost in a very close and exciting third game.
    G1 I had the best hand: Suppression Field got countered, but Chalice on 1 resolved and my 2 flying uncounterable and un-Boltable High Sentinels were 1 turn faster than his clock of Pyro tokens.
    G2 I honestly don't remember but we went 1 - 1
    G3 On the edge, but he was a bit lucky with an opener of 2 Forces: 1 for my Chalice, the other for my Supp Field. Damned! Preeminent flashed in Protector of the Crown, then I took over the game with uncounterable (thanks, Cavern, where were you last week?) Palace Jailer. But he recovered quickly with 2 Delvers, killing my Protector. He played 2 Pyromancers in 1 turn that I managed to kill with EOT Holy Light. The crown (monarch) went back and forth for a few turns with unblockable Delvers, drawing us both extra cards, but my draws were 3 lands and a Petal in a row, very unlucky. I had 9 mana or so on the battlefield but no gas in hand... I managed to resolve a Crackdown that tapped one of his Delvers, but he played and flipped another and took it down.

R4 B/G Loam with U splash (homebrew) 2-0

G1 went over very fast, he drew 3 Wastelands and played a Deathrite against my Suppression Field. The card is soo good at the right times.
    G2 was longer, I got Thoughtseized turn 1, he took Preeminent and left my Spyglass in check that I could play turn 1 of Tomb, revealing Maze of Ith, Jace and a lot of black removal. I took the Jace although he couldn't play it for the next couple of turns. This was a mistake, as he kept drawing removal so I only could leave one soldier in play against his Maze, but Palace Jailer eventually gathered the forces and 2 High Sentinels finished it.

Stars of the evening:

High Sentinels of Arashin: Can't be Decayed. Check. Can't be single-Bolted. Check. It flies to block or just kill Delvers and lives. Check. The card may be very weak in Magic but very good in a soldier build. This is even without the help of Metallic Mimic - unfortunately that combo didn't came up again (but it will be soon..)

Palace Jailer: So good, will still run 4. Against Grixis it is a pain to loose monarch though. Maybe I should go back to 1 or 2 Enlistment Officers for more late game gas, but right now I don't know what to cut.

Aerial Responder:
    I finally had the mana to pay for it this week. Against mono R Stompy, they blocked and killed a lot of Goblin tokens while keeping the pressure. Against Grixis, it is a must answer or they loose their clock. Card is very good and the best addition for the tribe thusfar.

Lotus Petal:
    So I added 2 Petals to improve consistency. I had 2 times where they were excellent, one of them against my last opponent where it was my second white source in my opener so I could play Jailer turn 2. The other I believe against Grixis where it landed a first turn Thalia in game 2 (with a Cavern to boot). I will keep playing them even though I know about the clash with Thalia 1 taxing when I draw them late game (but the same would be true with Mox in this case).

Changes:
    Thinking of running 1 Brimaz, King of Oreskos main instead of Loxodon Gatekeeper. I added Gatekeeper because of my fast Lotus Petal addition to provide another semi-lock card to go next to Thalia, Heretic Cathar and for more sideboard synergy with Crackdown. But I'm not sure if I really needed him this time. Brimaz on the other hand should be able to completely take over a game with Mimic and Sentinels, while being another 4 thoughness beater. It is worth the try.

If I cut Gatekeeper, Crackdown needs to go as well I think. Maybe I will add 1 or 2 Blessed Alliance again instead because well, there is burn in my meta and it should help a little.

Still in debate on adding 1 or 2 Enlistment Officers main for late game gas.

Hi Guys, I've made some updates to the source doc including, Table of contents to make it easier to navigate and match-up considerations. Again you can find it https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Jun 2016
    Amsterdam

Hi there,

So after a few weeks of practicing with my own Soldier list I finally managed to go 5-0 last weekend in our local tournament of 26 players. :)

The list can be found here:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=19150&f=LE

Just wanted to get it out there although I know the archetype isn't really getting the respect it deserves in Legacy, especially not on The Source. I would honestly say Soldier Stompy should at least be graded as a Tier 2 deck with the overperforming Thalia's (both of them), Chalices and Suppression Fields in it.

My matchups were:

Elves 2-1
    Show and Tell Omnisience 2-1
    B/U Reanimator 2-1
    Storm 2-1
    Mono Red Prison 2-0

Wow looks great! Able to provide more insights on the matchups and how the deck felt overall?

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Did you 5-0 an MTGO League as well? Someone just did with a very similar list.

Gives the deck a bit more velocity and is well-costed for the body + effect. Definitely worth testing IMO.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I think it is aggressively costed. I would be kinda surprised if that guy does not jack up the power of this deck considerably.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I think it is aggressively costed. I would be kinda surprised if that guy does not jack up the power of this deck considerably.
    I mean, we already have Recruiter of the Guard and we don't play more than 2 copies of that in the maindeck.

This guy has +1/+2 more power and toughness, but less tutoring/drawing power.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Thread Information