Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

Re: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

Also my SB is now fairly set, non fluctuating between events.

3 Ankh of Mishra
    3 Oblivion Ring
    3 Cursed Totem
    2 Abolish
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Armageddon

I am pretty set on this SB.
    Anhk is a beating against Miracles, Midrange, and any Durdle deck,
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Idon't think it has the maelstrom pulse ability of killing all with the same name.
    Consider Marrow Shards or Corrosive Gale to take out flying 1/1 tokens in a monoW deck.

EDIT: Between Ankh and Suppression Field, you basically make anyone running more than 4 fetchlands really start hating their own manabase.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I really like the deck, Dihensoeur. I've only done limited testing, but so far it feels more fun and a bit more powerful than other Soldier Stompy builds I've looked at. Any sideboard yet? I'm definitely interested in any developments.

Redundant Legendary Lavinia of the Tenth in hand? No problem. Attack with one, second main phase play the second to Time Walk them, and bin the old one.
    My actual SideBoard is (but totally not tested):

2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Ashen Rider
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Holy Light
    4 Leyline of Sanctity

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Well I dont actually think that Councils Judgment is needed, not main anyway. The best card in the whole deck is Suppression Field. The only reason I decided to play the deck is that its the best Suppression Field deck. I think its a huge error not to play Captain of the Watch too, the card is such a powerhouse against most decks in the format. Commander Esha is cute to stop Delver but I don't think you need it. If you land a Suppression Field or Chalice against most Delver decks you are on cruise control as they cannot answer your creatures and you pressure them way more then they pressure you. I havent tested Daxos but I really hate to have more threats that get removed with low sweepers or bolt/stp without a chalice out.
    I try Councils Judgment because I like to have control's cards but maybe there is better. Suppression Field can affect my Karakas and so stop me for lock loop, but I should probably try it to see.

Commander Eesha is fine to stop tarmo too in a bad situation, can go to kill planeswalker with no chance to be stopped and very strong (can't be killed by creatures/Decay/Bolt and Karakas to protect from Stp if no chalice), I really like the card (picture too :P) but I understand your point.

I'm testing actually Daxos, it sounds good on the paper for me. But not actually see it in battle, so I don't know if the card is really good or not.

Captain of the Watch: I removed it in order to have less soldiers with high cost. If Daxos is useless, I surely go back to Captain of the Watch. It's true that this captain works with Kor skyfisher too.

I didn't know Ankh of Mishra, it seems very good. I will surely test it.

Thanks you for your opinion.

Regards,
    Dihensoeur

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

Managed to 3-1 our new Saturday Night Legacy event with the same list I have been running.

4 Ballyrush Banneret
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Field Marshal
    4 Preeminent Captain
    2 Brimaz, King of Orekos
    4 Daru Warchief
    4 Enlistment Officer
    4 Captain of the Watch
    4 Suppression Field
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    12 Plains

SB

2 Armageddon
    2 Kor Firewalker
    3 Ankh of Mishra
    3 Oblivion Ring
    2 Rest in Peace

RD1 was a bye, gave me opportunity to chronicle the meta of the new weekly event. We had 19, this is what the field looked like!

2x Show and tell
    Shardless
    4 color pyro
    12Post
    2x D&T
    BUG Delver
    UR Delver
    Green Stompy
    Lands
    Pox
    Junk -bjhagen
    4 Color Shit Dark Zoo - Megadeus
    BG Into the North Depths -nedleeds
    Myself
    Mav
    Punishing Jund

RD2 was against a local friend on Mono Black Pox, I was able to overload his removal with dudes, didn't draw relevant spells. 2-1 60/40
    RD3 was against a local who I tend to play at every single SCG Event. He was on Jund and I knew it was going to be miserable. General value and punishing fire means I have no way to win. 1-2 30/70
    RD4 was against a internet shardless build, Suppression Field made things hard G1, G2 Early Goyf and Deludge was great. G3 I had the nut. Ancient Tomb + Chrome Mox for a Preeminent Captain. Drew ringleader, cast ringleader into another plus lord. Attacked in a Brimaz. Next Turn cast lord, captained in a Daru Warcheif and killed him. 65/35

Once again Suppression Field was by far the best card all night. I will be cutting the Kor Firewalkers for more Rest in Peaces to shore up the jund match. I dont see how it is possible to cut Captain of the Watch. The card is soooo nut all the time. I will be keeping track of the weekly events in terms of whos on what so everyone can see what the meta looks like and can see why I made my choices. I may be writing a primer for it to supplement the one in the first post.
    Soldier Stompy

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Junk -bjhagen

Once again Suppression Field was by far the best card all night. I will be cutting the Kor Firewalkers for more Rest in Peaces to shore up the jund match. I dont see how it is possible to cut Captain of the Watch. The card is soooo nut all the time. I will be keeping track of the weekly events in terms of whos on what so everyone can see what the meta looks like and can see why I made my choices. I may be writing a primer for it to supplement the one in the first post.
    That's not even close to my username, lol

Suppression Field is just such a powerful effect in legacy. It gives you enough disruption to try and establish yourself.

(Both Deus and I also 3-1'd the event by the way - yay goodstuff decks)
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Can I ask what you look for in a starting hand (let's say Game 1)?

Hi,

@Jon: I tested your list , and see I was wrong about Daru Warchief and Suppression Field.
    I tought that Daru will be to expensive to cast but it's not the case at all and help us very much, so I added them in my deck.

I dont see how it is possible to cut Captain of the Watch. The card is soooo nut all the time.
    I understood why you like so much Captain but I compared Lavinia of the Tenth and Captain of the Watch:
    I played many games and when I was able to play Lavinia or Captain, I simulated what will happen if I play Lavinia and
    what will happen if I play Captain.
    On approximately 20 games:
    In somes cases, Lavinia gives us the win, Captain not (the lavinia's lock is so powerful).
    In very few cases, I was able to cast Lavinia and not Captain.
    And all cases where Captain gives us the win, Lavinia will give us the win too but sometimes a little faster.

So, my conclusion is Lavinia > Captain.
    Moreover, Lavinia is better than Captain for the Miracle MU.
    That's why I will keep my decision about cutting Captain for Lavinia.

You should try Lavinia (don't forget that she stop abilities too like Shaman/Liliana/Jace/Sensei...).

Other point: Kor Skyfisher is very useful, you should try it too. It can easily put down Liliana when you can't attack her by the ground.
    Its drawback is an advantage in this deck and allow us some tricks.

[Joke]Play Absolute Law in order to fight Jund :P[/Joke]
    Last edited by Dihensoeur; 07-20-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Lavinia only triggers her ability when she enters for one turn. I can see the card being good, but better than captain of the watch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Lavinia only triggers her ability when she enters for one turn. I can see the card being good, but better than captain of the watch?
    I play Karakas x3 MainDeck.
    We can trigger her ability many times (Lavinia + Karakas + Preeminent Captain by example) and so completely lock your opponent.

Her ability allows us to free attack without fear any defense or attack from the opponent (neither fear about Liliana), we can so deal many damage and/or destroy any planeswalker easily.
    This free attack allows you often to kill in one shot.

Don't forget that Lavinia come often in midgame and so you have already some creatures in the battlefield (and opponent has not 20 lifes).

There are many situation where you can't really attack (by example, some Tarmo too big, some Baleful Strix) and so each players draw and put creatures without attack phase (except opponent with fly units and opponent's planeswalkers).
    If you play Captain of the watch, either your key units (lords,...) will be killed and so you will deal few damages (and so die next turn), either you attack only with tokens and/or others that will be destroyed and, again, you will deal few damages.
    Whereas, if you play Lavinia, you one shot or deal very critical damages (or kill planeswalker) and take "a safe turn" because opponent will not attack you.
    It's an example among many. But you should try and see.

Lavinia is better to fight Miracle MU too than Captain of the watch.
    Captain of the watch is almost useless for this MU:
    - She can make a quick army after a wrath for Miracle OK but it's not enough.

Lavinia:
    - She stop Sensei/Jace triggers and freeze Angels => I find this better and make the opponent in a bad situation.

The best thing about Lavinia is that you can lock but not only one time, but many time, and each time you lock, it's a very nightmare for opponents.

I found Lavinia better but only on the paper at the beginning, then Jon gives me the doubt by his results and reports (thanks and GG Jon !), so I tested and compared the cards.
    And this experience showed me that Lavinia is really better than Captain of the watch.

I don't say that Captain of the watch is bad no, I saw its power. But I have no place to have both and so I choose Lavinia.

Regards,
    Dihensoeur
    Last edited by Dihensoeur; 07-20-2014 at 10:10 PM.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

fwiw, in your last post, Lavinia shouldn't affect emrakul in anyway unless I am mistaken.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

fwiw, in your last post, Lavinia shouldn't affect emrakul in anyway unless I am mistaken.
    Why wouldn't she?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

"Detain each non-land permanent that your opponent controls with converted mana cost 4 or less."

Emrakul only costs 3 mana though.

Oh yeah. I wrote a mistake sorry. That doesn t change my opinion about Lavinia vs Captain.
    If you still prefer Captain it's your choice. I just suggest Lavinia because I found it better.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

Managed the 3-0-1 ID the last round of our local Saturday night event.

RD1- RUG Delver, G1 I over ran him with soldiers. G2 He RUG'd me. Game 3 I lead with a Chalice on 1, Thalia, then Brimaz and he couldnt cast anything.
    RD2- ANT, Got him in 2, G2 hand was Chalice, Chalice, Thalia, Tomb, Preminent, Plains, Random. He Probes me and sighs. He was one Petal away from the T1 kill.
    RD3- Food Chain Good games, really good friend and we have played the match alot. I was just able to over run him and pressure him before he could combo.
    RD4- Anti Delver / Show and Derp.dec, nedleeds, we split for 25 credit each.

I picked up 2 pack foil Trinispheres plus have credit left over.
    Soldier Stompy

Jon, has the lack of Karakas in your list caused you any problems vs. Sneak n Show and reanimator decks?

In my testing you need at least 2 Karakas MD to beat those two decks consistently.

Also... if you want to write an updated primer for this deck incorporating everything you've learned so far, that would be really cool. I would love to put a primer in the opening post.
    Last edited by MGB; 08-02-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Jon, has the lack of Karakas in your list caused you any problems vs. Sneak n Show and reanimator decks?

In my testing you need at least 2 Karakas MD to beat those two decks consistently.

Also... if you want to write an updated primer for this deck incorporating everything you've learned so far, that would be really cool. I would love to put a primer in the opening post.
    I am 6-0 versus S&T. I played against a very good S&T opponent last night who had T2 Show both games. Quietly slipped a suppression field in against his Griselbrand and Sneak. Then Karakas, took a hit, bounced it.

Here is my report from last night.

RD1 S&T, Vince, It was a pretty great beating. Suppression field and Karakas both games locked him out fairly quickly.
    RD2 Miracles, Alphastrykr, He got game one off a uncontested Jace fighting through 2 Suppression fields. G2/3 was Chalice on 1, Suppression Fields, followed by men.
    RD3 RUG, Alex, 2-0, Crushed. Chalice on 1 was the biggest beating, Commander Esha and Gustcloak Savior were instrumental in racing in the air.
    RD4, Gobos, Grant, He was 2-1 and I was 3-0, I took the win and gave him store credit = to what he would get at 3-1. Didnt want to play anymore as I had a miserable headache.

4 Ballyrush Banneret
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Field Marshal
    4 Preeminent Captain
    1 Brimaz, King of Orekos
    4 Daru Warchief
    4 Enlistment Officer
    3 Captain of the Watch
    1 Commander Esha
    1 Gustcloak Savior
    4 Suppression Field
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    12 Plains

SB

2 Armageddon
    2 Kor Firewalker
    2 Ankh of Mishra
    3 Oblivion Ring
    3 Rest in Peace

This is my updated list, I really feel super confident with it as it sits now. Ankh will be Cursed Totem for any open I attend.

Here is the breakdown of the meta for last night.

Maverick
    UR Delverstill
    Goblins
    High Tide
    Esper Blade
    RUG Delver
    Miracles x2
    S&T
    ANT
    Omnitell
    Sea Stompy
    D&T x2
    BUG Chain
    Burn
    Jund
    12Post x2

I feel like we have a fairly good representation of a meta and I feel like my deck is fairly well tuned to beat all of them.
    Soldier Stompy

GG !

RD1 S&T, Vince, It was a pretty great beating. Suppression field and Karakas both games locked him out fairly quickly.
    I don't understand, I can't see Karakas in your list. How many Karakas do you play ?

RD3 RUG, Alex, 2-0, Crushed. Chalice on 1 was the biggest beating, Commander Esha and Gustcloak Savior were instrumental in racing in the air.
    So you tried Commander Eesha, what is your opinion about this card in all games ?

Will you try Lavinia ?

Regards,
    Dihensoeur.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dihensoeur View Post
    GG !

I don't understand, I can't see Karakas in your list. How many Karakas do you play ?

So you tried Commander Eesha, what is your opinion about this card in all games ?

Will you try Lavinia ?

Regards,
    Dihensoeur.
    I forgot I play one, as I have access to one.
    I loved Esha all night, Even against miracles it can punch angels to death
    I will try if I had access to more Karakas. I am in the process of getting the last 8 cards I dont own for the deck with winnings then I will start to pimp it with foreign language things.
    Soldier Stompy

Super minor quip, but given you can't play any tricks with it you should play Banishing Light. The obvious scenario is an opponent with just a top in play and you with a couple of guys. You can force him to draw with his top to deaden his draw or leverage a Chalice on 1 you've played on the draw without risking one of your own men.

Thread Information