Thread: Rw Painter

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Rw Painter

I swear there was a thread for this already… that said this is what I played for our league final

4 fable of the mirror breaker
    3 magus of the moon
    4 pyroblast
    3 fury
    1 simian spirit guide
    1 daretti, scrap savant
    4 goblin engineer
    4 goblin welder
    4 painter’s servant
    2 grindstone
    1 ensnaring bridge
    1 Phyrexian dragon engine
    1 trinisphere
    1 soul-guide lantern
    1 Mox opal
    3 lotus petal
    4 Urza’s saga
    2 plateau
    2 great furnace
    4 arid mesa
    5 mountain
    1 city of traitors
    4 ancient tomb

Sideboard
    1 pithing needle
    2 forth eorlingas!
    3 mindbreak trap
    3 surgical extraction
    1 wear//tear
    2 red elemental blast
    3 swords to plowshares

I liked this build a lot as it plays out how I like. Play an aggro game while threatening a combo. I liked havin daretti as another way to filter cards as I tried to maindeck some hate against combo. Being able to filter out the bad cards felt needed, plus 9 welders! I also assume it was my bad luck, but I think I want the guide to be another “mountain” as I seemed to flood out with colourless mana. Sideboard felt great as it was fairly easy to cut dead main decked cards for laser focused sideboard options. Something to be said about replacing an ensnaring bridge for forth eorlingas as an example. Felt weird not playing enlightened tutor this time around, but going in as “mono red” felt a strength. If cannonist or similar cards are needed I think going a little heavier white would be worth it.

All in all good times with mono red aggro karnstructs! Could use a combo kill sometimes :p
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Re: Rw Painter

There is, but it's called Strawberry Shortcake :-) https://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/...erry-Shortcake

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Wasn’t that an imperial recruiter toolbox list or at least very focused on the combo?
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I think the Imperial Painter thread has most of the discussion on Painter combo. The Shortcake version typically runs Enlightened Tutor, but the difference between versions is fairly small.

https://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/...perial-Painter

There's also a Painter Stone thread, for lists without Imperial Recruiter, but I think it wasn't used much and iirc it was for blue-red from the start. I'd just use the Imperial Painter channel, I mean the inclusion of a single tutor doesn't make much difference in a deck with Saga, Engineer and potentially Karn to also find whatever's needed, whenever. You can add a copy or two to find Painter more reliably, or play some other interaction.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Sound like I’m moving. Thanks for that.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

You're welcome! Let's see if someone thinks it doesn't fit there, who knows, I think it's fine though.

I was thinking about the tutors overlapping and how the Painter deck evolves. I think Goblin Engineer is probably practically an upgrade over Imperial Recruiter. It finds both pieces of the combo, while Imperial Recruiter only finds one, and it also kind of combos with Goblin Welder. It's not a strict upgrade, due to the graveyard reliance and not necessarily bringing card advantage, but it fills the same role in the deck with mostly upside.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Engineer is definitely recruiter and enlightened light in one card. Because I had main decked cards for specific match ups, it was also nice to pull them out of the deck to not draw them.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Thread Information