Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

Re: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

Quote Originally Posted by R3ndr0c View Post
    Was that a competitive League? I recall that deck feeling much much worse than my mono white version when I tested it. I did modify it to make it better too, adding more Jailers and cutting all but 1 Legionnaire.
    Yup - all I play on MTGO is the competitive leagues and challenges when I play Legacy...

I'm wondering if Standstill would be ok in this list.

Had another Legacy League 5-0, this time with MONO WHITE Soldiers:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/724333#paper

Winter Orb is a house.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Had another Legacy League 5-0, this time with MONO WHITE Soldiers:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/724333#paper
    my JailerWinter Orb is a house.
    I just went to SCG Syracuse and did a Legacy Challenge there. I went 2-2 and all of my game losses except 1 were not from interactive magic games, but just from either a fast combo kill or scooping to an Ensnaring Bridge turn three.

Match 1 vs Lands WIN 2-1 - he had a turn 2 Marit Lage which is rare for Lands and I couldn't get 4 mana turn 2 for my Jailer. Easy win. Games 2 and 3 I grind him out and win.

Match 2 vs Dark Depths Reanimator LOSS 1-2 - game 1 he had a turn 2 Grave Titan that I couldn't deal with i. Game 2 I win, but I forget how it went down. Game 3 was super close but in the end he activated Marit Lage for a kill.

Match 3 - vs U/B reanimator WIN 2-0 - he got two griselbrands and I had a Jailer for both.. I'm alway uncertain how to side against Reanimator becuae I have so much hate but if I take out Soldiers I'm not sure if I should take out Preeminent and/or Enlistment and how many of each. It's probably correct to take out Preeminent.

Match 4 - playing vs Mentor Cheerios or w/e it's called Loss 1-0-1 - Game 1 I scoop turn 3 to a bridge I know I can't deal with, my only hope was drawing my Winter Orb on legs guy and him drawing a bunch of bridges and mentors he can't cast. Game 2 was super longg and we had a huge audience of judges and other people. He drew all four mentors and had a bridge and I had an army of guys I couldn't attack with, Suppression Field to slow him down, and chalice on 1. We ended up drawing the game but I could have won it to force a game 3.

Preparing for Legacy Champs. I am a vintage player, but always play in Legacy Champs each year. I saw MGB list on mtggoldfish and thought this looked insanely fun to play. Winter Orb with Chrome Mox looks busted.

@MGB You have done well with both Red/White and Mono White. What is your preference now?

I plan on sleeving this up and getting some good time in with it between now and October and will come back frequently to report my progress.

Hardest part for me with new deck is SB, what cards to you find yourself taking out first to get SB cards in? I know situation varies, but in general if possible.

Winter Orb is very bad in quite a few matchups, Sfield is usually more effective, but suit yourself. You can check out my sideboard for ideas.

Winter Orb is very bad in quite a few matchups, Sfield is usually more effective, but suit yourself. You can check out my sideboard for ideas.
    What is your most recent list? Are you playing the one you posted from May still? Id love to here how your list differs from MGB and why. Love insight on your perspective with card choices. Thanks!

// Soldier Stompy v.2

This is the list I recently played at a SCG Legacy Challenge, except I had another Holy Light in the sideboard and one less Damping Matrix, but I've decide to add another Damping Matrix.

// Soldier Stompy v.2

// 60 Maindeck
    // 8 Artifact
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox

// 29 Creature
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Enlistment Officer
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Daru Warchief
    3 Palace Jailer
    1 Hokori, Dust Drinker
    4 Aerial Responder
    1 Selfless Squire

// 4 Enchantment
    4 Suppression Field

// 19 Land
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Karakas
    6 Plains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 2 Damping Matrix
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Sanctum Prelate
    SB: 1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    SB: 1 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 2 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 Rest in Peace
    SB: 1 Gideon's Intervention
    SB: 1 Holy Light
    SB: 1 Blessed Alliance
    SB: 2 Council's Judgment

So this is the list I'm currently testing although it's not the list I've been playing. I want to see how Trinisphere works out. I hadn't been playing it in the past, but I think it might be great. I recently won a Magic League 8-man tournament with the deck.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 11 Artifact
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Trinisphere

// 26 Creature
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Enlistment Officer
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Daru Warchief
    3 Palace Jailer
    1 Hokori, Dust Drinker
    2 Aerial Responder

// 4 Enchantment
    4 Suppression Field

// 19 Land
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Karakas
    6 Plains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 2 Damping Matrix
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Sanctum Prelate
    SB: 1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    SB: 1 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 2 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 Rest in Peace
    SB: 1 Gideon's Intervention
    SB: 1 Holy Light
    SB: 1 Blessed Alliance
    SB: 2 Council's Judgment

Changes I'm thinking of making are adding another Sanctum Prelate and cutting a Ethersworn becuase I find Ethersworn to only be good vs. Ad Nauseum, and I wouldn't mind adding another Leonin-Relic Warder. So many people seem to be running Reanimator, I wouldn't mind adding another Faerie as well.

@R3ndr0c Thanks!

1. Why do tou prefer SF>WO?
    2. Why Hokori over say Armageddon?
    3. How is P Capt without a "bomb"? CotW etc
    4. What cards do you find yourself siding out first, weakest main deck cards.
    6. Plains>HC for moon effects?
    7. Why no Banneret?

Quote Originally Posted by Prkchpsndwiches View Post
    @R3ndr0c Thanks!

1. Why do tou prefer SF>WO?
    2. Why Hokori over say Armageddon?
    3. How is P Capt without a "bomb"? CotW etc
    4. What cards do you find yourself siding out first, weakest main deck cards.
    6. Plains>HC for moon effects?
    7. Why no Banneret?
    Answers:

1. Sfield doesn't just tax lands, it also taxes everything else. It helps out a ton in some matchups, and is better vs way more decks. It's almost never useless, whereas Winter Orb is not something you want to play early (unlike SField) and it is useless or really bad or even more hurtful for you in some situations. Sfield can sometimes steal a game almost by itself if they have a hand of fetchlands. Drop a couple Thalia's and it's the easiest game you every played. I've played with both, I even had a list with 4 Sfield and 2 Orb for a long time, and I do miss my 2 Orbs a little, but not a tremendous amount. If I decide to cut Trinisphere (which I have a feeling I won't) I may add a couple Orbs.

2. Hokori can be Recruited, and it's a Winter Orb on legs. Winter Orb is a card I usually liked to play later in the game to surprised the opponent when they tap out and I have a Captain out to cheat guys in or some number of Chrome Mox to give me a mana advantage, and so later in the game I can draw into or tutor for Hokori and cast for a brutal surprise. I can even make it unchunterable with Cavern of Souls. I don't like Armageddon because it's costs more with Thalia and I don't want to destroy my lands, plus it's not a body. It might be great to cast one game, and another game it with be more detrimental to cast so it's a dead card. That's not my kind of card. If anything , it would be a sideboard card, and it's usefulness is way to narrow and it way too high risk to include as a non-tutorable sideboard card.

3. I usually side out Daru Warchief, because the extra stats aren't very useful. If they are playing black and they might have the 1 mana anti-white creature enchantment that Ad Nauseum plays
    (gives all -1-1), then I will keep 1-2 copies in. I also take out Aerial Responder if I'm not playing against an aggressive creature deck like Delver or D&T.

4. Wasteland is the nemesis of all sol land Stompy decks, and I don't want to make myself weaker to it. Also Blood Moon DOES exist in maindecks and sideboards. This deck has enough card advantage with Monarch and Officer, it doesn't need Canopy at all. I also don't want more pain lands.

5. Banneret is a card that I feel amateur players include. I used it years ago in my early days playing the deck when I was a Soldier scrub, but I do not like it at all. It's a card that theoretically you want to play early, but it has no harmful impact on the opponent early. The way to play this deck is to cast your most hateful cards first. Even Preeminent Captain has very low priority. Order of importance generally goes Chalice at #1 then Sfield or Thalia 1.0 and then Thalia 2.0 then Captain. Of course it can change slightly depending on the matchup, and after sideboard, but the first 4 are always the most important to play first game 1. At some point I considered running 1-2 just to have some more defense against wasteland, but it's just not worth it.

I will be playing another Legacy Challenge this weekend at SCG Richmond and I hope to play in the Legacy Open in October in DC - so far in the future :(

@R3 This was super helpful. Thank you for taking the extra time to answer these. I will definitely be back with more questions as I play this deck some more.

I messed up my numbers and missed an answer to my original number 3. No Bomb creature to bring in off P Capt. How come? Overkill or?

Quote Originally Posted by Prkchpsndwiches View Post
    @R3 This was super helpful. Thank you for taking the extra time to answer these. I will definitely be back with more questions as I play this deck some more.

I messed up my numbers and missed an answer to my original number 3. No Bomb creature to bring in off P Capt. How come? Overkill or?
    Exactly, overkill and also a bit less consistency. Especially since Miracles is gone, having CotW is not as necessary. It was nice being able to cast Captain of the Watch and put nine power on the board after they Terminus, but Miracles is less common now. A card I was using more recently was Protector of the Crown which is a great card for this deck. Really helps deal with Delver and one of the decks "truely" hardest cards to face, True-Name Nemesis. I've swapped it out for Aerial Responder since Responder is cheaper and a better attacker and they actually are in the deck to serve a similar purpose, but this may be incorrect.

I would add Protector before CotW for sure.

bruizar

This deck needs at least 3x Licia, Sanguine Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    This deck needs at least 3x Licia, Sanguine Tribune
    Not at all

card is sucks and is too hard to cast

bruizar

Not at all

card is sucks and is too hard to cast
    hard to cast, yes, impossible even. but you win in 2 attacks if you have premcaptain out, and enlistment officer helps dig for it.

Hey, look at that! Soldier Stompy Top-8ed MKM Barcelona (a big European Legacy tournament):

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...-mkm-barcelona

Soldier Stompy piloted by Remi Herve Lacombe...

Scroll down in that article to where he discusses the top-8 decks and you'll see the decklist. It's very traditional - 4 Suppression Fields, Thalias, etc.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

As goblin player I always found very interesting to have few cards with goblin-like mechanics and a tax-prison elements in the same deck. Soldiers are probably the next deck I will try.

What do you think about ghostly prison? It looks strange to me that nobody plays it in this deck.
    Probably is to keep the soldiers count high for enlistment officer, but I think It's a strong lock element that work very well with Thalia, also harder to remove than chalice and Thalia. It's a t1 play and could help a lot against tempo and aggro decks.

Inviato dal mio SM-A320F utilizzando Tapatalk

Jun 2011
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by menph View Post
    As goblin player I always found very interesting to have few cards with goblin-like mechanics and a tax-prison elements in the same deck. Soldiers are probably the next deck I will try.

What do you think about ghostly prison? It looks strange to me that nobody plays it in this deck.
    Probably is to keep the soldiers count high for enlistment officer, but I think It's a strong lock element that work very well with Thalia, also harder to remove than chalice and Thalia. It's a t1 play and could help a lot against tempo and aggro decks.

What does Ghostly Prison fix? With the exception of True-Name or equipment on dudes it is exceptionally difficult for most decks to get through on the ground because to the first strike and high toughness that solders represent. I would think that the biggest issue would be creatures with flying, Delver you can race to some degree but there are at least two soldiers with Reach and with the printing of Aerial Responder a decent flying solder that you should probably have some number in the 75 of. I am not sure it actually does enough to warrant inclusion.

On another note. Has anyone experimented with cutting chalice from the main deck? I know it sounds crazy but it feels really weak right now and I am finding that I don't want it or sideboard it out a lot.

Some new soldier coming out with dominaria, this one looks interesting

Baird, Steward of Argive
    2WW
    Legendary Creature — Human Soldier
    2/4
    Vigilance
    Creatures can't attack you or a planeswalker you control unless their controller pays 1 for each of those creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by menph View Post
    Some new soldier coming out with dominaria, this one looks interesting

Baird, Steward of Argive
    2WW
    Legendary Creature — Human Soldier
    2/4
    Vigilance
    Creatures can't attack you or a planeswalker you control unless their controller pays 1 for each of those creatures.

Worse version of windborn muse
    Team Awesome: Busting Toilets since 2009
    Meth!

Thread Information