Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

Jul 2011
    Germany

Re: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

I marked my answer "blue":

Quote Originally Posted by korstructure View Post
    Did anyone see this random tweet by Julian Knab regarding the most recent BoM?

https://twitter.com/itsJulian23/stat...68737915699200

Any context or additional info from Julian or anyone else who was there? Who was it, how did they finish, etc?

Also, I have a general question about this deck: what keeps this deck from breaking through? From being more popular? From winning big events?

How much of it has to do with fundamental issues with the deck? How much is it that it's just not a popular deck/taken seriously by more players? Does this deck have unwinnable/terrible matchups?

I'm intrigued and I know you all have so much more experience with the deck, so I turn to you for your insight.

I guess the last years soldiers were simply underrated at legacy (issue with most non blue decks) and overall not strong enough compared to Tier 1 decks. Look at Goblins, you will find more players for the little guys but overall the deck is not really played (lucky for Miracle, since Goblins tend to destroy "The King of Legacy"). If you have only a few players for a deck, you have less result, especially since most "good" players tend to play with a blue Cantrip shell.

Like most Stompy Shells at the past, Soldiers also got some weakness: Not consistent enough, topdeck modus, weak vs BGx Decks (Gofy/Decay/Hymn/Strix/Liliana etc.) etc. and if you try a "brew" (like Soldiers) as an unexperienced player you will win no tropy since legacy can be a hard business (a lot of broken stuff, proven decks and experienced veterans)

Thanks to the prints of Thalia 2.0, Recruiter and Jailer the deck should be much stronger now!

If I were to guess, I presume that there are three primary weaknesses: weakness to Wasteland, lack of disruption/interaction, and weakness to sweepers.

1. Wasteland wasn't so bad at the past, because most builds run Suppression Field which was good vs Wasteland/Fetches etc. Now this deck has a playset of Thalia, Heretic Cathar which can be a Turn 1 play (so much stronger than DnT) and Thalia 2.0 has a huge impact, since she slow down the development of your opponent (and they will think twice if they use Wasteland in this case) and delay blockers. Both is huge, because afterall this is an Aggro deck (Tribal/Swarm). Thanks to Chrome Mox, it is save enough to run 8 Thalia(s).

2. Disruption/Interaction can still be an issue, but with Recruiter (a lot of silver bullets at side are avaible) you improve this with Cards like Palace Jailer (great one!). I also cut S.Field (thanks to Thalia 2.0) for a pair of Umezawa's Jitte (strong with so many First Strikers) which will also help to interact with your opponent.

3. Weakness to sweeper (besides Terminus) isn't true anymore. My version has 6(!) lords that will ensure that you will not die to any Pyroclasm/Kozilek's Return or Golgari Charm effects (more common now, thanks to DnT). So you have only respect Terminus and Toxic Deluge, but with 30+ Creatures, Officer and Recruiter to "Reload" that is not so problematic. Afterall you must play good enough, so don't unload your hand blindly into a Sweeper.

Chrome Mox also offers some inherent card disadvantage (now shored up by Recruiter in addition to the already existing Ringleader). The weakness to Wasteland that this deck suffers from is similar to Eldrazi without having the super powerful standalone threats that Eldrazi has. This deck seems to need to preserve its mana to cast synergistic threats over multiple turns, some/most of those threats don't disrupt the opponent. That lack of disruption makes it nearly as weak to fast combo/creature-based combo as Goblins (with the notable exception of 4x Thalia, Guardian).

Chrome Mox is not so bad most of the time, since you wan't speed (Chalice, Thalia(s), Captain are all strong T1 plays) and you have 8 legends as a pitch, with Recruiter and Officer you gain the advantage back later. Standalone Threats: You have Captain of the Watch and Palace Jailer that are both strong plays, but even Preeminent Captain can run wild if left unchecked.

Yes you are a little bit "weaker" vs Fast Combo compared to Eldrazi, but keep in mind that this deck has 10 options (6 Sollands, 4 Mox) to start the game with Thalia(s) or Chalice vs Combo and follow up with fast beats (much faster than a single delver vs combo). So you are much stronger than Goblins vs Combo. Note that a pair of Karakas will also matter vs some Combo decks. Thanks to Recruiter you can also play a lot of silver bullets vs Combo. Conclusion: I would not fear combo decks with soldiers - and you can always play additional cards like Mindbreak Trap (to ensure you get lockpieces down) or Warping Wail.

And lastly, this deck doesn't have the ability to comeback from a sweeper (Terminus, Toxic Deluge) like DnT. No instant-speed creatures at EOT, no Flickerwisp, no equipment package to make every body a dangerous one. I do recognize that it can draw raw cards, similar to how Goblins beats Miracles.

See above: Don't overextend blindly and you are fine. Note that you can try Warping Wail since most common Sweeper (Terminus, Pyroclasm, Toxic Deluge) are only Sorcery! Yes you sadly have no "Haste" (Vial/Goblin Speed) but you have cards like Captain of the Watch that can win games alone and will anger any Miracle player that cleared the board with Terminus the turn before^^

Mostly, I'm EXCITED about this archetype. It seems so fun and engaging. I want to really define the weaknesses so we can address them systematically.

Anyway, would love to hear your guys' insights! Thanks for reading.
    I currently invest my time at playtest with Eldrazi & Taxes, but if i would play soldiers now the build would look like this (more or less):

8 Plains
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Karakas

4 Enlistment Officer
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    3 Recruiter of the Guard
    3 Captain of the Watch
    3 Ballyrush Banneret
    3 Daru Warchief
    2 Palace Jailer

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

Side:
    1 Aegis of Gods
    1 Aven Cloudchaser
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Peacekeeper
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Elspeth, Knight Errant
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    3 Swords to Plowshares

Note that i cut Suppression Field, but i guess it can be quite strong vs DnT (Vial/Mother/Stoneforge/Equipment/Waste/Port etc.) and Miracle etc. - after Thalia 2.0 i feel i don't need this card at maindeck, since it was only good early enough and afterall no soldier (officer) and no beater (topdecking more Fields was always bad). Feel free to cut Sideboard cards or prepare it for any local meta.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Amazing response! Thank you, MD.

May I ask why you focus on Eldrazi and Taxes now? Is the deck stronger/does it show more promise?

I'm intrigued by the 8 Thalia archetype and it does seem like both Eldrazi and Soldiers could be viable directions.

Quote Originally Posted by MD.Ghost View Post
    I marked my answer "blue":

I currently invest my time at playtest with Eldrazi & Taxes, but if i would play soldiers now the build would look like this (more or less):

8 Plains
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Karakas

4 Enlistment Officer
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    3 Recruiter of the Guard
    3 Captain of the Watch
    3 Ballyrush Banneret
    3 Daru Warchief
    2 Palace Jailer

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

Side:
    1 Aegis of Gods
    1 Aven Cloudchaser
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Peacekeeper
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Elspeth, Knight Errant
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    3 Swords to Plowshares

Note that i cut Suppression Field, but i guess it can be quite strong vs DnT (Vial/Mother/Stoneforge/Equipment/Waste/Port etc.) and Miracle etc. - after Thalia 2.0 i feel i don't need this card at maindeck, since it was only good early enough and afterall no soldier (officer) and no beater (topdecking more Fields was always bad). Feel free to cut Sideboard cards or prepare it for any local meta.

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Strictly easier to cast Fiend Hunter who's also a Soldier. Looks like a nice addition to this deck's options.

Did anyone see this random tweet by Julian Knab regarding the most recent BoM?

https://twitter.com/itsJulian23/stat...68737915699200

Any context or additional info from Julian or anyone else who was there? Who was it, how did they finish, etc?

Also, I have a general question about this deck: what keeps this deck from breaking through? From being more popular? From winning big events?

How much of it has to do with fundamental issues with the deck? How much is it that it's just not a popular deck/taken seriously by more players? Does this deck have unwinnable/terrible matchups?

I'm intrigued and I know you all have so much more experience with the deck, so I turn to you for your insight.

If I were to guess, I presume that there are three primary weaknesses: weakness to Wasteland, lack of disruption/interaction, and weakness to sweepers. Chrome Mox also offers some inherent card disadvantage (now shored up by Recruiter in addition to the already existing Ringleader). The weakness to Wasteland that this deck suffers from is similar to Eldrazi without having the super powerful standalone threats that Eldrazi has. This deck seems to need to preserve its mana to cast synergistic threats over multiple turns, some/most of those threats don't disrupt the opponent. That lack of disruption makes it nearly as weak to fast combo/creature-based combo as Goblins (with the notable exception of 4x Thalia, Guardian).

And lastly, this deck doesn't have the ability to comeback from a sweeper (Terminus, Toxic Deluge) like DnT. No instant-speed creatures at EOT, no Flickerwisp, no equipment package to make every body a dangerous one. I do recognize that it can draw raw cards, similar to how Goblins beats Miracles.

Mostly, I'm EXCITED about this archetype. It seems so fun and engaging. I want to really define the weaknesses so we can address them systematically.

Anyway, would love to hear your guys' insights! Thanks for reading.

The weakness to Wasteland isn't as pronounced as you'd make it seem. Because the deck usually plays 5+ basic Plains and 4 Chrome Mox, it usually doesn't get locked out of white mana often by Wasteland. And getting a Tomb or City Wasted isn't as devastating to this deck because most of your threats are in the 2cc-4cc range.

I usually have a positive Miracles matchup with this deck because, again, in the long game, your Enlistment Officer will draw you enough cards to beat sweepers.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    The weakness to Wasteland isn't as pronounced as you'd make it seem. Because the deck usually plays 5+ basic Plains and 4 Chrome Mox, it usually doesn't get locked out of white mana often by Wasteland. And getting a Tomb or City Wasted isn't as devastating to this deck because most of your threats are in the 2cc-4cc range.

I usually have a positive Miracles matchup with this deck because, again, in the long game, your Enlistment Officer will draw you enough cards to beat sweepers.
    I would also guess Palace Jailer would be great in the matchup too. Even if the Jailer doesn't exile anyone, you will draw an extra card a turn until Miracles hits you with a dude.

New Fairgrounds Warden card is pretty sick. It's even more of what this deck needed - spot removal that can be drawn with Enlistment Officer and cheated into play with Preeminent Captain.

I'm playing a list right now that has 4 of these guys and 1-2 Palace Jailer MD to be tutored with Recruiter of the Guard. More Palace Jailer in the SB. This configuration gives you enough game to consistently defeat Delver/Tarmogoyf decks, and it makes stuff like Sneak 'n' Show a bye. The only thing this deck still struggles against is, well, Death'n'Taxes and Lands. 4 Phyrexian Revoker in SB and 2 Damping Matrix in SB should give you some ammunition to fight D'n'T, but you might just have to depend on the fast starts to beat Lands.

6 Snow-Covered Plains
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Karakas

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Winter Orb

4 Enlistment Officer
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Fairgrounds Warden
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    3 Captain of the Watch
    3 Daru Warchief
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Kor Skyfisher
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Sanctum Prelate

SB:

4 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Damping Matrix
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    4 Rest in Peace
    2 Kor Firewalker
    2 Palace Jailer

New Fairgrounds Warden card is pretty sick. It's even more of what this deck needed - spot removal that can be drawn with Enlistment Officer and cheated into play with Preeminent Captain.

I'm playing a list right now that has 4 of these guys and 1-2 Palace Jailer MD to be tutored with Recruiter of the Guard. More Palace Jailer in the SB. This configuration gives you enough game to consistently defeat Delver/Tarmogoyf decks, and it makes stuff like Sneak 'n' Show a bye. The only thing this deck still struggles against is, well, Death'n'Taxes and Lands. 4 Phyrexian Revoker in SB and 2 Damping Matrix in SB should give you some ammunition to fight D'n'T, but you might just have to depend on the fast starts to beat Lands.

6 Snow-Covered Plains
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Karakas

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Winter Orb

4 Enlistment Officer
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Fairgrounds Warden
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    3 Captain of the Watch
    3 Daru Warchief
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Kor Skyfisher
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Sanctum Prelate

SB:

4 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Damping Matrix
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    4 Rest in Peace
    2 Kor Firewalker
    2 Palace Jailer
    Cool. I saw Damping Matrix and was a bit puzzled until I noticed there are no Suppression Fields and Winter Orbs in their place. I guess from your experience the Fields are hit and miss in terms of effectiveness?

I'm also curious if you will try out Aerial Responder. A decent flyer with lifelink. I've noticed Aven Riftwatchers in lists in the past and I guess that Aerial Responder could be the successor? The double white could be a bit prohibitive though.

Can't wait for Kaladesh to come out so I can try out Soldier Stompy. Lol, all we need now is an Armageddon effect on a Soldier. Course that's never ever going to happen.

May 2013
    Paris, France

Hello,

I'm currently testing the following list.

Some of you might find ideas that we could push even further:

2 Karakas
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    9 Plains

1 Daru Warchief
    1 Field Marshal
    1 Mirror Entity
    1 Palace Jailer
    2 Aerial Responder
    2 Sunstrike Legionnaire
    3 Recruiter of the Guard
    4 Ballyrush Banneret
    4 Enlistment Officer
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox

2 Shining Shoal

SB: 2 Thorn of Amethyst
    SB: 2 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 2 Rest in Peace
    SB: 2 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Council's Judgment
    SB: 2 Umezawa's Jitte
    SB: 1 Palace Jailer

Happy testing.

Ralf

Wow.

I think this deck is finally the real deal.

I've been testing extensively against tier decks with my latest posted list and even though it is not 100% optimized I literally have something like an 80% win rate against the field with most losses coming as the result of misplays or just grindy matches against bad matchups such as Death n Taxes or Lands.

The addition of Thalia 2.0, Fairgrounds Warden, Recruiter of the Guard, Sanctum Prelate, and Palace Jailer have really destroyed some of the obstacles that were in this deck's way in the past.

Fairgrounds Warden in particular is just insane as a 3 mana unconditional removal spell that can be a.) uncounterable b.) cheated into play for free c.) drawn by Enlistment Officer, and d.) actually attack and block as well.

Winter Orb + Thalia 2.0 is crazy good against alot of decks.

Recruiter is not really a 4-of because you lose tempo playing him but as a 2-of or even 3-of he can add much needed card selection.

I think this deck might actually be close to Tier 1 at this point, and I'd rather play this than Eldrazi.

** The key is this: before, this deck would wreck Storm and other combo decks, and post a good matchup against Miracles. But it would struggle against the BGx Delver/Tarmogoyf/Gurmag Angler decks on top of struggling against Lands and DnT. Now that Fairgrounds Warden and Palace Jailer have been printed, this deck wrecks Delver/Tarmogoyf/Gurmag Angler decks. The only remaining "bad" matchups are Lands and Death'n'Taxes, and D'n'T isn't as bad anymore now that you can play Recruiter->Revoker and Fairgrounds Warden/Palace Jailer for their problematic creatures. **

That's exciting news, MGB. Congratulations.

What did your testing look like? How did you like your 4x Winter Orb setup - what was it like in matchups where it wasn't amazing?

It seems like the Turn 0/1 decks would still be hard (Belcher, Oops, TinFins, etc). Any thoughts on those?

And - what, specifically, do you think are the hardest parts of DnT and Lands? Is it the mana/land disruption? The removal (Jitte or PFire)? I'd love to work on ways to mitigate some of those weaknesses.

Wow.

I think this deck is finally the real deal.

I've been testing extensively against tier decks with my latest posted list and even though it is not 100% optimized I literally have something like an 80% win rate against the field with most losses coming as the result of misplays or just grindy matches against bad matchups such as Death n Taxes or Lands.

The addition of Thalia 2.0, Fairgrounds Warden, Recruiter of the Guard, Sanctum Prelate, and Palace Jailer have really destroyed some of the obstacles that were in this deck's way in the past.

Fairgrounds Warden in particular is just insane as a 3 mana unconditional removal spell that can be a.) uncounterable b.) cheated into play for free c.) drawn by Enlistment Officer, and d.) actually attack and block as well.

Winter Orb + Thalia 2.0 is crazy good against alot of decks.

Recruiter is not really a 4-of because you lose tempo playing him but as a 2-of or even 3-of he can add much needed card selection.

I think this deck might actually be close to Tier 1 at this point, and I'd rather play this than Eldrazi.

** The key is this: before, this deck would wreck Storm and other combo decks, and post a good matchup against Miracles. But it would struggle against the BGx Delver/Tarmogoyf/Gurmag Angler decks on top of struggling against Lands and DnT. Now that Fairgrounds Warden and Palace Jailer have been printed, this deck wrecks Delver/Tarmogoyf/Gurmag Angler decks. The only remaining "bad" matchups are Lands and Death'n'Taxes, and D'n'T isn't as bad anymore now that you can play Recruiter->Revoker and Fairgrounds Warden/Palace Jailer for their problematic creatures. **

That's exciting news, MGB. Congratulations.

What did your testing look like? How did you like your 4x Winter Orb setup - what was it like in matchups where it wasn't amazing?

It seems like the Turn 0/1 decks would still be hard (Belcher, Oops, TinFins, etc). Any thoughts on those?

And - what, specifically, do you think are the hardest parts of DnT and Lands? Is it the mana/land disruption? The removal (Jitte or PFire)? I'd love to work on ways to mitigate some of those weaknesses.
    The Turn 0/1 decks are the same problem level for this deck as they are for every other Non-Force-of-Will deck in the format. Sometimes they just have the win on Turn 1 and you can't do anything about it.

The benefit of playing this deck over some other non-FoW decks such as DnT or Eldrazi is that you have Chrome Mox on top of Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors, and you have both Thalia and Chalice MD, so you can power out disruption on your first turn with a greater degree of consistency. Turn 2 Belcher/TinFins wins that would kill Death'n'Taxes might not work against this deck so easily, because you can play your Thalia a turn earlier than D'n'T if you have a Mox.

DnT is just naturally a problematic matchup due to Flickerwisp killing Chalice and Chrome Mox, and AEther Vial sidestepping alot of your disruption, and Chalice of the void and Thalia being suboptimal against their threats. Additionally, they have enough blockers and ways to kill you with Equipment that is hard to deal with. The solutions to this matchup are to maximize the use of the new removal soldiers (Fairgrounds Warden and Palace Jailer) and make liberal use of both Phyrexian Revoker and Damping Matrix. It will never be a good matchup, but hopefully with tight play you can at least manage to make it respectable.

Lands is a bad matchup because they have spot removal AND disruption, and can sidestep disruption with a quick combo kill. Winter Orb is a fine card against them unless they have the quick combo. The solution to this matchup is simply to have more explosive starts and/or find better disruption.

Awesome replies, thank you.

Regarding the decklist itself - are you finding anything "loose" or "flexible"? What do you consider the cards that you'd be willing to swap out? And what are the bank of cards you'd like to put in, if possible? Lastly, what cards have you not yet explored but have considered?

Really excited about some positive Soldier news!

The Turn 0/1 decks are the same problem level for this deck as they are for every other Non-Force-of-Will deck in the format. Sometimes they just have the win on Turn 1 and you can't do anything about it.

The benefit of playing this deck over some other non-FoW decks such as DnT or Eldrazi is that you have Chrome Mox on top of Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors, and you have both Thalia and Chalice MD, so you can power out disruption on your first turn with a greater degree of consistency. Turn 2 Belcher/TinFins wins that would kill Death'n'Taxes might not work against this deck so easily, because you can play your Thalia a turn earlier than D'n'T if you have a Mox.

DnT is just naturally a problematic matchup due to Flickerwisp killing Chalice and Chrome Mox, and AEther Vial sidestepping alot of your disruption, and Chalice of the void and Thalia being suboptimal against their threats. Additionally, they have enough blockers and ways to kill you with Equipment that is hard to deal with. The solutions to this matchup are to maximize the use of the new removal soldiers (Fairgrounds Warden and Palace Jailer) and make liberal use of both Phyrexian Revoker and Damping Matrix. It will never be a good matchup, but hopefully with tight play you can at least manage to make it respectable.

Lands is a bad matchup because they have spot removal AND disruption, and can sidestep disruption with a quick combo kill. Winter Orb is a fine card against them unless they have the quick combo. The solution to this matchup is simply to have more explosive starts and/or find better disruption.

MGB, do you think that Fairgrounds Warden makes Jitte unnecessary, at least in the main? I just built MDGhost's list with I think 2 Jitte's and the Chalices as the only non creatures (outside of Moxen). Makes sense to adjust numbers and have more Soldiers double as removal, and have the ability to run more than the regular 4 Chalices.

I'm not sure about Winter Orb, would be curious to sum the number of decks it significantly impacts versus where it is a dead draw. One nice appeal that Suppression Field has is that it can be pitched to Chrome Mox at least.

Also, do you mind elaborating on Kor Skyfisher's uses?

Skyfisher rebuys any of the CITP abilities, like Palace Jailer, Recruiter, Captain of the Watch, Enlistment Officer, etc.

It also has some cool tricks to generate mana with the sol lands, allows you to reset a Chalice, choose a new Revoker target, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    MGB, do you think that Fairgrounds Warden makes Jitte unnecessary, at least in the main? I just built MDGhost's list with I think 2 Jitte's and the Chalices as the only non creatures (outside of Moxen). Makes sense to adjust numbers and have more Soldiers double as removal, and have the ability to run more than the regular 4 Chalices.

I'm not sure about Winter Orb, would be curious to sum the number of decks it significantly impacts versus where it is a dead draw. One nice appeal that Suppression Field has is that it can be pitched to Chrome Mox at least.

Also, do you mind elaborating on Kor Skyfisher's uses?

Kor Skyfisher is the best flying soldier you can get for 2 mana, essentially. The drawback is a real drawback some of the time when you just have to bounce a land, but most of the time it's not really a "drawback" in that you can bounce a spare Chrome Mox that you played without imprint, or you can bounce something with a CITP trigger and re-use it.

The real purpose is simply to have a 2/3 flyer that can block Delver of Secrets (and give you yet another way to deal with Delvers) or just fly over blockers for the win.

So what did your testing look like, MGB?

And how were Winter Orbs in the less-optimal matchups?

Kor Skyfisher is the best flying soldier you can get for 2 mana, essentially. The drawback is a real drawback some of the time when you just have to bounce a land, but most of the time it's not really a "drawback" in that you can bounce a spare Chrome Mox that you played without imprint, or you can bounce something with a CITP trigger and re-use it.

The real purpose is simply to have a 2/3 flyer that can block Delver of Secrets (and give you yet another way to deal with Delvers) or just fly over blockers for the win.

So what did your testing look like, MGB?

And how were Winter Orbs in the less-optimal matchups?

I'm still doing testing with the list.

Winter Orb is one of those cards that does something good nearly in every matchup. Even against a Delver deck you can occasionally tempo them out with a fast draw and they can only cast 1 thing per turn under Winter Orb + Thalia (1 or 2). Against some matchups where it's bad you just board em out for other hate pieces.

I played MD Ghost's list above for the first time against a friend with 12Post and High Tide. Insane how much power can be put out by Preeminent Captain. I'm eager to try MGB's idea and include more disruption, using the Fairgrounds Warden soldier/removal as a way to have a more compact list.

Saw a guy with a foil Warden at a pre-release event over the weekend but he left before I could bargain for a trade

So, I'm not sure why people like Winter Orb over Suppression Field. It's really bad early, if you don't have a Captain out, because you can't cast spells either much of the time. To risky to play in my opinion. I'd much rather play a single Hokori, Dust Drinker to fetch with Recruiter and play later after they tap out. I currently have 1 in my mainboard. Suppression Field does a lot of what Winter Orb is trying to do vs. opponents mana bases, and also it gets tons of other goodies, and can the effect stacks, so there's no harm running 4.

Current List:
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Flagstones of Trokair
    2 Karakas
    3 Plains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Enlistment Officer
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    4 Daru Warchief
    4 Suppression Field
    4 Fairgrounds Warden
    1 Hokori, Dust Drinker
    1 Phyrexian Revoker

SB: 2 Leyline of Sanctity
    SB: 2 Rest in Peace
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 2 Sanctum Prelate
    SB: 1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    SB: 1 Aegis of the Gods
    SB: 2 Crackdown
    SB: 1 Gustcloak Savior
    SB: 2 Dawnbringer Charioteers

FYI, I'm new to Source, always used MTGS, so I don't know how to card tag, and the announcement didn't help. Please help.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

@R3ndr0c: For card tags, type "cards" inside square brackets [], then the card name, then "/cards" inside square brackets.

Thread Information