Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

Re: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

I've always run some number of disenchants in 75 deck has 0 answers to an ensnaring bridge and very few to a moat without.

Quote Originally Posted by TMPWDobs View Post
    I've always run some number of disenchants in 75 deck has 0 answers to an ensnaring bridge and very few to a moat without.
    My solution is 2-3 Recruiter of the Guard MD and then play at least 2+ Leonin Relic-Warder in the SB.

Congrats, I like the list, do you mind posting what you went up against? the only MD removal you have is jailer, how did that feel?

any changes you would make?

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Wish I could take credit for it, but it's not my list. Found it while I was browsing mtgtop8.

Hopefully the pilot stumbles upon this thread and shares his thoughts/tournament report.

Gotcha, read that as you found the list and used it to take down a tournament

This deck was 7-1 at bazaar of moxen...beat my friend. Not sure how the last round went.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    This deck was 7-1 at bazaar of moxen...beat my friend. Not sure how the last round went.
    Pretty badly, he got ran over by 4c Delver. Looked like he kept some reasonable, but slow, hands and his opponent just had it all.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

I still really want to see a list.

Was bored so compiled list of soldiers that I thought are "playable" Obviously some are better then others but thought I'd put together a list to maybe view ones that haven't been tested with yet.

1 Abzan Falconer
    1 Aegis of the Gods
    1 Aerial Responder
    1 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
    1 Archetype of Courage
    1 Ballyrush Banneret
    1 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    1 Captain of the Watch
    1 Catapult Master
    1 Catapult Squad
    1 Commander Eesha
    1 Consul's Lieutenant
    1 Court Street Denizen
    1 Crossbow Infantry
    1 Daru Warchief
    1 Dawnbringer Charioteers
    1 Enlistment Officer
    1 Expendable Troops
    1 Fairgrounds Warden
    1 Field Marshal
    1 Goldnight Commander
    1 High Sentinels of Arashin
    1 Intrepid Hero
    1 Jötun Grunt
    1 Kor Firewalker
    1 Loxodon Gatekeeper
    1 Odric, Lunarch Marshal
    1 Odric, Master Tactician
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Precinct Captain
    1 Preeminent Captain
    1 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Stonehorn Dignitary
    1 Sunstrike Legionnaire
    1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    1 Kor Skyfisher

Eternal Weekend

Soldier Stompy on camera and "Mike Gouthro" is now 6-1. He's getting interviewed by Bob Maher. Says he didn't know the cards until a couple days ago.

He has Suppression Fields.

Hope he comes on here and posts about his experiences!

Quote Originally Posted by korstructure View Post
    Eternal Weekend

Soldier Stompy on camera and "Mike Gouthro" is now 6-1. He's getting interviewed by Bob Maher. Says he didn't know the cards until a couple days ago.

He has Suppression Fields.

Hope he comes on here and posts about his experiences!
    I was the miracle player who played against him round 8. He is a friend of mine I asked him if he was familiar with the source and he says he views it time from time but isn't a member. I made an honest mistake against him on camera with the brainstorm accidentally only put one card back. This was caused by me being very familiar with this list and know it's weakness to a resolved moat. When I brainstorm in my excitement of finding moat I made error of only putting one card back. This looks very bad on camera and ultimately lead to my dq. I understand the dq as the integrity of tournament is most important thing and judge being in awkward spot of not knowing if was honest mistake which I swear it was. I stand by my statement as the deck needs at least 2 disenchants as they are permanent answers to moat or an ebridge. Oring is nice since it hits planeswalkers but having been on matchup from both sides game 2 as miracles I'm boarding out my counterbalances for moat and wear/tears... I know he also played my friend on camera round 9 he ended 7-3 for a cash finish.

Jul 2011
    Germany

I was the miracle player who played against him round 8. He is a friend of mine I asked him if he was familiar with the source and he says he views it time from time but isn't a member. I made an honest mistake against him on camera with the brainstorm accidentally only put one card back. This was caused by me being very familiar with this list and know it's weakness to a resolved moat. When I brainstorm in my excitement of finding moat I made error of only putting one card back. This looks very bad on camera and ultimately lead to my dq. I understand the dq as the integrity of tournament is most important thing and judge being in awkward spot of not knowing if was honest mistake which I swear it was. I stand by my statement as the deck needs at least 2 disenchants as they are permanent answers to moat or an ebridge. Oring is nice since it hits planeswalkers but having been on matchup from both sides game 2 as miracles I'm boarding out my counterbalances for moat and wear/tears... I know he also played my friend on camera round 9 he ended 7-3 for a cash finish.
    I would always put in stuff like Aven Cloudchaser and or Leonin Relic-Warder at my Side. Better than Disenchant simply because you can tutor them and profit from Cavern etc. Cloudchaser is the superior 1off Soldier Answer to Moat since miracle is a very good and very common deck and moat is also solid vs Eldrazi etc I would put a answer at any pile of cards for big tournaments like the Eternal Weekend.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Why not play 2-3 Recruiter of the Guard MD and then 3-4 Leonin Relic-Warder in the SB?

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Why not play 2-3 Recruiter of the Guard MD and then 3-4 Leonin Relic-Warder in the SB?
    The concept is there but imo Leonin Relic-Warder is a liability if it gets swords/bounced with jace or venser the moat/bridge comes back. Sure It is a tutor-able answer but the miracle deck can still sit on a terminus or build up a mentor army behind the moat. Playing the matchup from both sides I believe this post board as miracles I bring in answer to chalice moat izzet static caster and EE. I cut counterbalance's and actually one top usually.

I could be wrong. I was strongly considering this deck for EW as it is super fun to play I just think it needs a permanent answer to moat/bridge.

I can get behind Aven Cloudchaser for moat answer but still need something for bridge. Against painter matchup is unless have fast start they can just sit behind a bridge.

The more I think about it if we are going tutor way I like Devout Witness it is disenchant on a stick. If going spell way I think council's judgement might be best since it can answers and problematic card artifacts/enchantments/planeswalkers.

Hey everyone. I don't have any experience with this deck yet, but I'm tossing it together for a friend to run this weekend at an event, just wanted to see what people's thoughts were on the list I have. Probably about 40-ish people so no firm knowledge on what the meta will be, but it tends to be pretty fair, with a disproportionate amount of stoneblade, very little miracles, a good bit of shardless, 4c loam, and D+T, and a few jund players.

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Karakas (Alas, I only have 1)
    9 Plains

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Suppression Field
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Ballyrush Banneret
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Preeminent Captain
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Fairgrounds Warden
    4 Enlistment Officer
    3 Daru Warchief
    2 Palace Jailer
    3 Captain of the Watch

SB:
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Oblivion Ring
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Armageddon
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Holy Light
    1 Winter Orb
    1 Leonin Relic-warder
    1 Umezawa's jitte
    1 Faerie Macabre

Certainly not sold on my sideboard (It was kinda tossed together), and the number of 3-ofs I currently have mainboard worries me a bit. I'm sort of thinking a list akin to one I saw posted earlier in the thread, with 0 bannerets, 2x city of traitors, 4x fairgrounds warden might work out better. I'll also add a second karakas for sure if I can find one to borrow before the event.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

I just noticed this deck top-8ed a 67 player tournament in France, so that event seems big enough to be significant :) Enjoy!

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13996&d=282963&f=LE

Aug 2012
    Vienna, Austria

Quote Originally Posted by Fjaulnir View Post
    I just noticed this deck top-8ed a 67 player tournament in France, so that event seems big enough to be significant :) Enjoy!

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13996&d=282963&f=LE
    What's even more notable, it's Nicolas Amans himself, who played Soldier Stompy at the Eternal Weekend.

Obviously, the Palace Guard might have been meant to be Palace Jailer. I see no reason to play the Guard.

This might not be the same list that was at the eternal weekend - I've seen him play Daru Warchief and Suppression Field on the stream. But judging from this list, it might be true that he hasn't played any Captain of the Watch during the eternal weekend. He lowered the curve for this list. Maybe that could be a legitimate approach... And I always wondered if playing some number of Catapult Squad could be the way to go instead of Suppression Field in a creature-heavy meta. And I also thought about playing Thalia's Lieutenant instead of Daru Warchief, as this guy always seems a bit overcosted to me.

Note the versatility of the lone Parallax Wave - it can remove up to four blockers (5 if you happen to have Thalia 2.0), and/or also rebuy you some etb triggers. It's especially bonkers with Thalia's Lieutenant - as he pumps the other soldiers and gets pumped up himself for every other one. Using Parallax wave like this on Enlistment Officer, Recruiter of the Guard, Palace Jailer and Thalia's Lieutenant (and a fifth soldier) just screams "VALUE!!!" :D

Hi Guys... I played a 7th round tournament this weekend

Played almost the same list as I played last time... just changed the sideboard a bit. And I cut the City of traitors mainboard.

Mainboard

2x Palace Jailer
    4x Ballyrush Banneret
    4x Thalia, guardian of Thraben
    4x Thalia, heretich Cathar
    4x Preeminent Captain
    4x Enlistment Officer
    4x Daru Warchief
    4x Captain of the Watch

4x Suppresion Field

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Chrome Mox

2x Karakas
    4x Cavern of souls
    4x Ancient Tomb
    8x Plains

Sideboard

1x Aethersworn Cannonist
    1x Powder Keg
    1x Ratchet Bomb
    1x Thorn of Amethyst
    1x Holy Light
    1x Oblivion Ring
    1x Fairgrounds Warden
    1x Aven Cloudchaser
    1x Palace Jailer
    2x Rest in Peace
    2x Winter Orb
    2x Crackdown

I went to 4-3-0
    Most games were pretty one sided.

1. 2-0 vs Sneak Attack (start on the playl)
    2. 2-0 vs Reanimator (start on the play)
    3. 0-2 vs Bant Blade (start on the draw)
    4. 0-2 vs Elves (start on the draw)
    5. 2-0 vs Eldrazi (start on the draw)
    6. 0-2 vs Burn (start on the draw)
    7. 2-1 vs BR Reanimator (start on the playl)

1. Sneak Attack

1: I open with a Thalia, Guardian of Thraben with Cavern of Souls + Chrome Mox. Things kinda spiraled out of hand from that point on. I can cast Thalia, Heretic Cathar turn 2... It ended up with him finally playing Show and Tell putting Emrakull into play. I put Captain of the Watch into play. Next turn cast Daru Warchief and swing for 22 with enough bodies.

2: I had some quick presure again... Palace Jailer kinda played a big roll on hitting a show and tell Emrakull... Draw some cards... he just couldn't manage the pressure and I won.

2. Reanimator

Game 1 and 2 were pretty much the same. Thalia, Guardian of Thraben was huge. In both games he couldn't get a turn 1/2 reanimation. Stuff like Blazing Archon and Iona should scare soldier players. Tidespout Titan came into play once... but I jailed him.

3. Bant Blade

1: Was actually a good game... I just didn't get there. Had to take care of a TNN with Jitte... and the game was closer then it looked. Then he found Abrupt Decay for a 1 turn to late Suppresion Field. And lost.
    2: I mulliganed to 5 ... the stomy disease. And lost because he got an early TNN with Jitte.

4. Elves

I believe this a tough match up... depends on if you get the chalice out early... and if he has the answer (yes / no) ... And how quick the other guy is.
    I lost game 1... rather quick.
    I lost game 2 because I mulliganed to 6 ... with a hand holding: Chalice of the Void , Ethersworn Cannonist , Fairgrounds Warden , Ratchet Bomb , Thalia, Heretic Cathar, Plains
    So 1 lander + 1 scry ... but all the pieces I need to stop elves if I survive turn 1 and 2... so I kept. And only drew a land after 3 draws... lost after that.

5. Eldrazi

I actually never needed Crackdown... this wasn't even a game... I drew so manny cards with Officers + Jailers. I swung for 21 in the 2nd game somewhere in turn 5 or 6. That was kinda crazy, cause he had an Engineered Plague out on soldiers.

6. Burn

I couldn't find an early chalice... Thalia bit the dust a couple of times. First game I was beaten by 2x Goblin Guide + 1x Swiftspear + 1x Eidolon
    . He was pretty quick. Second game I got burned to death with 2 mana spells. Searing blazes (2 of them) did a lot of damadge. I missed my Thorn of Amethysts

7. BR Reanimator

Okay... another reanimator. Scarry... but beatable. Just has to survive turn 1... and ge an early disruption piece out.
    Game 1 I mulliganed to 4 (yes 4 ... because I knew I was playing against... and hand 7 or 6 were all mana light and no disruption. 5 was also just bad. So I had to. But I lost pretty hard too.
    Game 2 I got Thalia 1.0 + Chalice going.
    Game 3 I had Rest in Peace.
    ... that was the game.

Thread Information