Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

Re: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

We will never agree and thats fine. I have atributed more wins with my deck to Field then Chalice.
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

Quote Originally Posted by pokpok View Post
    Hello everyone, i just register myself to provide some explains to my soldier list. So it might apear using my name, i'm Dapokpok on mtgo or pokpok on french website.

To be honnest i'm not sure this deck is good, i mean the deck is great if you don't struggle on mana source flooded or screwed. But it still had some huge problem facing an all-answer opponent like force chalice, threat, removal to stop you in early then just win because they had more active spell than you or because you are dead at this point (agaisnt UR delver for example).

So first of all, my last list

4 Suppression Field
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Wasteland
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Captain of the Watch
    9 Plains
    4 Cavern of Souls
    1 Gustcloak Savior
    3 Daru Warchief
    4 Enlistment Officer
    1 City of Traitors
    2 Karakas
    3 Aven Mindcensor
    1 High Sentinels of Arashin
    2 Kor Firewalker
    SB: 2 Thorn of Amethyst
    SB: 3 Rest in Peace
    SB: 1 Null Rod
    SB: 2 Oblivion Ring
    SB: 2 Dawnbringer Charioteers
    SB: 2 Tower of the Magistrate
    SB: 2 Holy Light
    SB: 1 Revoke Existence
    pokpok, many thanks for registering and telling about the deck! It is real fun! So Charioteers are included only for being 2/4 flying delver-killing decay-proof soldiers? At first glance I tried hard to find some way to trigger their heroic ability in the list)

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

Commander Eesha, Gustcloak Savior....
    Soldier Stompy

Questions to all those who play this in person and not primarily online... What do you do with these situations and how often have they come up for you:

- Opponent doesn't notice Chalice @ 1 on the board and plays his Ponder/Brainstorm/etc. Do you say "Ponder/Brainstorm/etc Resolves. Trigger - Chalice"? And at that point there is no turning back for your opponent and he has lost the spell? Or do you generally give him the opportunity to "take it back"? What is the best way to handle this situation so that you are in the clear rules-wise and he loses his 1cc spell due to his own sloppiness?

- Opponent doesn't notice Cavern of Souls on the board and he plays Force of Will targeting your Soldier cast with Cavern mana. Do you say "Force of Will resolves"? If you want him to waste the Force of Will, you can let him resolve Force targeting your Soldier, but it just won't counter the Soldier. At that point, if you allow Force to resolve, he is locked into losing his Force and his pitched card for good, right? There are no ways for him to backtrack... or how do you ensure he can't backtrack? What is the best way to handle this so that you are in the clear rules-wise and he loses his Force of Will and his blue card?

- Opponent doesn't notice Suppression Field in play and begins to crack a fetchland. Do you let him search his library and then call a judge? Do you immediately inform him of the Suppression Field in play and the fact that he has to pay two mana to complete his action? What if he begins to put a Batterskull in play and doesn't have the extra mana to pay Field? Do you just agree to put the Batterskull back in his hand as if he never activated it? Once he starts fetching with his fetchland, has the game state progressed too far, and then he is liable to get a GRV? What is the best way to handle this so that you are in the clear rules-wise and he maybe gets a GRV from the judge?

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Questions to all those who play this in person and not primarily online... What do you do with these situations and how often have they come up for you:

- Opponent doesn't notice Chalice @ 1 on the board and plays his Ponder/Brainstorm/etc. Do you say "Ponder/Brainstorm/etc Resolves. Trigger - Chalice"? And at that point there is no turning back for your opponent and he has lost the spell? Or do you generally give him the opportunity to "take it back"? What is the best way to handle this situation so that you are in the clear rules-wise and he loses his 1cc spell due to his own sloppiness?

- Opponent doesn't notice Cavern of Souls on the board and he plays Force of Will targeting your Soldier cast with Cavern mana. Do you say "Force of Will resolves"? If you want him to waste the Force of Will, you can let him resolve Force targeting your Soldier, but it just won't counter the Soldier. At that point, if you allow Force to resolve, he is locked into losing his Force and his pitched card for good, right? There are no ways for him to backtrack... or how do you ensure he can't backtrack? What is the best way to handle this so that you are in the clear rules-wise and he loses his Force of Will and his blue card?

- Opponent doesn't notice Suppression Field in play and begins to crack a fetchland. Do you let him search his library and then call a judge? Do you immediately inform him of the Suppression Field in play and the fact that he has to pay two mana to complete his action? What if he begins to put a Batterskull in play and doesn't have the extra mana to pay Field? Do you just agree to put the Batterskull back in his hand as if he never activated it? Once he starts fetching with his fetchland, has the game state progressed too far, and then he is liable to get a GRV? What is the best way to handle this so that you are in the clear rules-wise and he maybe gets a GRV from the judge?
    1) Your opponents are absolutely permitted to cast spells into your Chalice in hopes that you do not remember the trigger. It is your permanent, so it is entirely your responsibility to remember that it counters their spells. Also, I would not advise telling your opponent that their spells resolve before pointing out the Chalice trigger - a judge might take that the wrong way, since when the Chalice trigger properly triggers when they cast that spell, it never does resolve.

2) Force of Will will resolve, and it will fail to counter your uncounterable spell. That could actually be a desired effect if your opponent decides that they want to empty their hand of some cards for whatever reason, such as wanting less cards in hand for Ensnaring Bridge.

3) That's a GRV, and you would be right to call a judge on your opponent if they activated an ability without paying the additional cost at any serious tournament. That's not a trigger that you are forced to remember, so both you and your opponent need to remember that stuff costs more to use.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    1) Your opponents are absolutely permitted to cast spells into your Chalice in hopes that you do not remember the trigger. It is your permanent, so it is entirely your responsibility to remember that it counters their spells. Also, I would not advise telling your opponent that their spells resolve before pointing out the Chalice trigger - a judge might take that the wrong way, since when the Chalice trigger properly triggers when they cast that spell, it never does resolve.

2) Force of Will will resolve, and it will fail to counter your uncounterable spell. That could actually be a desired effect if your opponent decides that they want to empty their hand of some cards for whatever reason, such as wanting less cards in hand for Ensnaring Bridge.

3) That's a GRV, and you would be right to call a judge on your opponent if they activated an ability without paying the additional cost at any serious tournament. That's not a trigger that you are forced to remember, so both you and your opponent need to remember that stuff costs more to use.
    Thanks for the input.

In the Chalice situation, if I am faced with an opponent that simply forgot about my Chalice, and I want him to waste a card, the most effective way to take advantage of this situation is to simply say "Ponder/Brainstorm on the stack ... Chalice triggers.... Chalice trigger on the stack... resolves?"

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks for the input.

In the Chalice situation, if I am faced with an opponent that simply forgot about my Chalice, and I want him to waste a card, the most effective way to take advantage of this situation is to simply say "Ponder/Brainstorm on the stack ... Chalice triggers.... Chalice trigger on the stack... resolves?"
    Yeah, you just need to point out your Chalice triggers (and resolves, though it only very rarely will not) to counter their spell.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

Make sure you call them on ALL GRVs so its properly recorded. They make multiple mistakes over the course of the day it will eventually turn into GLs.
    Soldier Stompy

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

Here is my current list, missing a fee cards to be single language.
    Soldier Stompy

Mmm, T-Chinese (also, if you need Darus I think I have a couple extra).

How have Longbows been doing?

I waver between Field Marshals and Veteran Swordsmiths too. So much stuff has First Strike anyways.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

I most certainly do, shoot me a PM and we will talk.

Longbow is ok, I am testing for delver match ups after a T1 Delver. Overall I am happy, I may go back to the full set of ballyrush or try Skyfisher. I am playing this in the Open Trial for SCGATL this weekend. If I 4-0 I will jam it, if not I will probably be a ape and jund it up.

I still prefer field marshall most of the time. I just like the way swordsmith looks.
    Soldier Stompy

That's funny that you have the singleton foil Gustcloak Savior. For some reason I picked one of those up at a local shop and I don't have a single other foil card in the deck.

I'm partial to the Snow-Covered Plains from original Ice Age myself, because the Christopher Rush art is so beautiful.

I half expected your deck to be completely foiled out!

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

I dislike foils unless old border.
    Soldier Stompy

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

To further clarify this, the Ponder/Brainstorm will never "resolve" - that's the wrong word. Chalice triggers in response to them casting the spell, the Chalice trigger resolves and the spell is countered.
    If your opponent tries to take back their action then call a judge and explain that they cast their spell and it was countered. That's how the game works; playing Magic properly doesn't make you rude.

All you should have to do is say "Chalice" or "Chalice Trigger" or something.

As Undomian was mentioning, you can miss your Chalice trigger. So your opponent is perfectly welcome to cast their Brainstorms with confidence, then if you let it happen you've just missed your beneficial trigger and the spell will resolve as if you didn't have Chalice in play.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I most certainly do, shoot me a PM and we will talk.

Longbow is ok, I am testing for delver match ups after a T1 Delver. Overall I am happy, I may go back to the full set of ballyrush or try Skyfisher. I am playing this in the Open Trial for SCGATL this weekend. If I 4-0 I will jam it, if not I will probably be a ape and jund it up.

I still prefer field marshall most of the time. I just like the way swordsmith looks.
    So Jon, did you valiantly try to fight by the side of your soldiers or did you take the easy route and jund it up? :)

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

So Jon, did you valiantly try to fight by the side of your soldiers or did you take the easy route and jund it up? :)

I was a goddamn ape all weekend, Soldiers would have been crushed. It sucks ;(
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I was a goddamn ape all weekend, Soldiers would have been crushed. It sucks ;(
    You didn't top 8 with Jund... did you at least cash?

There's no guarantee that you would have been crushed if you had taken Soldiers. You might have done even better.

I know I'm going to take this deck to SCG Philly on Jan 11 and I plan on doing rather well with it. The only matchups it really has a problem with is Delver (sometimes), Stoneblade, and Death n Taxes. Now that Containment Priest has been printed, Elves is easier, and this deck has always done well vs. Miracles, ANT, Reanimator, Sneak'n'Show, and the like.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

I monied, 47th place. Stupid Miracles Player.

Also I haven't tested Priest but I KNOW Magus of the Moat is the Stone Nuts against them.
    Soldier Stompy

Jul 2011
    Germany

Besides Lejays Gb(w)-Stompy Build i also switch to this "Soldier" version to compare both stompy strategies.

I liked "Dapokpok/Tristan Polzl" build and tested it against various matchups.

After a couple of games, i decided that i want -1 Kor Skyfisher (still good enough for mid-/late game bounce: Office, Captain, Grunt); -1 Aven Mindcensor (1 on the field is enough, it isn't a soldier and it's a very fragile creature)

Both slots are filled with +1 Captain of the Watch (Playset - creature performed so good) and +1 High Sentinels of Arashin (really good vs Burn based Removal, kills Delver, can be a finisher on its own if Suppression Field isnt avaible or simply not good enough)

//Creatures
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Enlistment Officer
    4 Captain of the Watch
    3 Daru Warchief
    2 Jötun Grunt
    2 High Sentinels of Arashin
    2 Aven Mindcensor
    1 Kor Skyfisher

//Lands
    9 Plains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Traitors
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Karakas

//Spells
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Suppression Field
    2 Oblivion Ring

//Sideboard
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Dawnbringer Charioteers
    2 Holy Light
    2 Oblivion Ring
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Winter Orb

At Sideboard i am unsure about 2 Oblivion Rings and 2 Holy Light - What worked good so far was Dawnbringer Charioteers vs Ux Delver, seems like a casual card but 2/4 Flying (Decay + Bolt proof) is just good here, because you can also add Cavern of Souls (against Counters) and Warchief/Captain (Pump) in the mix. Winter Orb also shined vs any Control Deck.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Wow. Magus of the Moat is such a great sideboard card. What a brilliant idea that was, whoever brought it up in here (Jon? PokPok?).

With Magus in the sideboard, you are essentially favored vs. Elves and Merfolk now, whereas before, it was a really tough matchup. There's no way for Elves and Merfolk (90%+ of lists) to deal with a Magus of the Moat.

Additionally, it's not bad against lots of other random "attack with non-flying dudes" decks. It's also great against Dredge.

Thread Information