Thread: Show and Tell + Clone

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Show and Tell + Clone

Lets suppose my opponent plays show and tell. He chooses to show Emrakul and I choose to show Clone. Will Clone be able to chose to copy Emrakul, or is he not technically in play when I have to choose?

Thanks.

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Re: Show and Tell + Clone

Doesn't work since it has to choose a creature already in play before Show and Tell resolves.

It would only work if it said "When it enters the battlefield..."

Both creatures are entering the battlefield at the same time, and Clone needs you to choose something before it enters.

This question's been asked about once a month for the past three months, heh.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

I recommend sower of temptation for this purpose.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

I recommend phyrexian metamorph, if you are not running blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar of Shadow View Post
    I recommend phyrexian metamorph, if you are not running blue.
    Metamorph is a "clone" - it has the same issue as Clone.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Necro (as a reminder) and addendum:

Do Eureka and Hypergenesis work the same way Show & Tell does with regards to Clone?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

For hypergenesis, cards do not enter play simultaneously. Thus a Terrastodon can target a humility put into play after it. Similarly, a clone can copy anything brought into play before it
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

So if I understand correctly,

Active player puts down card #1.
    Non-active player puts down card #2.
    Active player puts down card #3.
    and so on

And each card is put into the battlefield sequentially, with all the triggers and choices (name a card, clones etc) able to see each before it?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    So if I understand correctly,

Active player puts down card #1.
    Non-active player puts down card #2.
    Active player puts down card #3.
    and so on

And each card is put into the battlefield sequentially, with all the triggers and choices (name a card, clones etc) able to see each before it?
    Triggered abilities and As it enters the battlefield effects work differently.

As it enters the battlefield effects (like Clone, etc.) you choose immediately when you would put it into the battlefield (and with Hypergenesis / Eureka, the card can "see" the cards put into play before it).

With Triggered abilities, they don't go onto the stack until the next time state based abilities/effects are checked, so they don't go onto the stack until Hypergenesis / Eureka resolve, which is why a Terastodon / Angel of Despair could hit a Humility put into play after it.

Judges, please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

So, a similar example to above:

1) AP puts in Progenitus
    2) Non-AP puts in Clone and copies Progenitus
    3) AP puts in Terastodon (game makes a note that there will be a Terastodon triggered ability to put on the stack next time SBE are checked)
    4) Non-AP puts in Humility
    5) AP puts in Angel of Despair (game will NOT put a Angel of Despair triggered ability on the stack because Humility was in play at the time Angel of Despair was put into play, removing the triggered ability).

After Hypergenesis / Eureka resolves, state based effects will be checked. The game will Legend Rule Progenitus and the Clone then see there is 1 triggered ability for the Terastodon to be put onto the stack and put it on the stack at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    So, a similar example to above:

1) AP puts in Progenitus
    2) Non-AP puts in Clone and copies Progenitus
    3) AP puts in Terastodon (game makes a note that there will be a Terastodon triggered ability to put on the stack next time SBE are checked)
    4) Non-AP puts in Humility
    5) AP puts in Angel of Despair (game will NOT put a Angel of Despair triggered ability on the stack because Humility was in play at the time Angel of Despair was put into play, removing the triggered ability).

After Hypergenesis / Eureka resolves, state based effects will be checked. The game will Legend Rule Progenitus and the Clone then see there is 1 triggered ability for the Terastodon to be put onto the stack and put it on the stack at this time.
    This is accurate.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information