Thread: Miracles and Triggers

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Miracles and Triggers

I just would like some questions answered regarding miracles.

Example 1.

I have 3 Islands and a Flooded Strand, and my first draw during my draw phase is Terminus.

When I reveal, do I have to pay when I flip the miracle over, or do I announce the miracle, then I can go fetch for a Plains for pay for it?

-Matt

Re: Miracles and Triggers

Miracle is a trigger. You reveal the card when you draw it, and then play it when the trigger resolves. Players can do whatever they like while the trigger is on the stack. The card remains revealed until the miracle trigger leaves the stack or the card leaves your hand.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Living in an area where no one plays Legacy
    Nov 2003

When a Miracle triggers do you have time to respond to the trigger with an Orim's Chant so the spell can not be played, like a suspended card? Or is the miracle trigger considered the announcement of a spell?
    Major Deck Projects
    Deck 2012: Angel Walk
    Deck 2009: Tombstone
    Deck 2007: Exploration Crucible:
    Deck 2005:Bob the Belcher:

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Raider Bob View Post
    When a Miracle triggers do you have time to respond to the trigger with an Orim's Chant so the spell can not be played, like a suspended card? Or is the miracle trigger considered the announcement of a spell?
    Miracle trigger allows you to cast a spell at a time when you wouldn't normally be able to - the resolution of a triggered ability. All the rules for casting spells still apply (payments, choices, targets, etc) - just the timing is altered. Casting Orim's Chant in response to the trigger would effectively counter the Miracle ability.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Aug 2010
    Clifton Park, NY

Scenario: I draw a Terminus on my draw step and reveal it, putting trigger on the stack. My opponent casts a Stifle on the trigger, I respond with Brainstorm. If I choose to put the card back at this point, does my opponent get to know where exactly I put the card? I understand it has to stay revealed until cast or removed from my hand.

This could also apply with Sylvan Library. If it's the first card I see I have to reveal it thinking I want to cast it, but maybe one of the other cards I draw changes my mind. If at this point I want to put it as one of the 2 cards back onto my library, does he get to know if I put it on top or 2nd from top?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaun View Post
    Scenario: I draw a Terminus on my draw step and reveal it, putting trigger on the stack. My opponent casts a Stifle on the trigger, I respond with Brainstorm. If I choose to put the card back at this point, does my opponent get to know where exactly I put the card? I understand it has to stay revealed until cast or removed from my hand.

This could also apply with Sylvan Library. If it's the first card I see I have to reveal it thinking I want to cast it, but maybe one of the other cards I draw changes my mind. If at this point I want to put it as one of the 2 cards back onto my library, does he get to know if I put it on top or 2nd from top?
    The revealed card will remain revealed until it moves to a different zone. This means that you will explicitly show where the card moves to (say, 2nd from the top via Brainstorm or Sylvan Library). Once you reveal the card, it will remain revealed until you either cast it, or move zones. You cannot stop revealing it if you decide to not cast it prior to the resolution of the Miracle trigger.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Apr 2011
    Oslo, Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    The revealed card will remain revealed until it moves to a different zone. This means that you will explicitly show where the card moves to (say, 2nd from the top via Brainstorm or Sylvan Library). Once you reveal the card, it will remain revealed until you either cast it, or move zones. You cannot stop revealing it if you decide to not cast it prior to the resolution of the Miracle trigger.
    Why do have to tell in which order you put them back? The opponent only need to know that the Miraclecard is one of the two cards you put back.
    This can be solved by announce that you want to put the Miraclecard back with another unknown card. You shuffle those two card seperatly so your opponent doesn't know the order. Then you order them and put them back.

Quote Originally Posted by NilsH View Post
    Why do have to tell in which order you put them back? The opponent only need to know that the Miraclecard is one of the two cards you put back.
    This can be solved by announce that you want to put the Miraclecard back with another unknown card. You shuffle those two card seperatly so your opponent doesn't know the order. Then you order them and put them back.
    You're right - when multiple cards move to the top or bottom of the library at the same time, the order of the cards does not have to be revealed even if the cards are revealed (401.4). You do have to make it clear that the miracle card is one of the two cards, but not the position it ends up in.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

When you stifle a, lets say Terminus-Miracle-Trigger. Does the card go to hand normally or does it go to the graveyard?

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp802 View Post
    When you stifle a, lets say Terminus-Miracle-Trigger. Does the card go to hand normally or does it go to the graveyard?

Greetings
    The card is actually in the player's hand when they reveal it, so it would stay in their hand.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

I understand the part where as long as the trigger is on the stack, I can play a miracle card.

The question is...

if i draw the card on my draw phase, move to my main phase, is the trigger still on the stack?

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar of Shadow View Post
    I understand the part where as long as the trigger is on the stack, I can play a miracle card.

The question is...

if i draw the card on my draw phase, move to my main phase, is the trigger still on the stack?
    The game moves to the next step/phase by both players passing while the stack is empty.
    -David DeLaney

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

So its possible to clique the terminus away with the trigger on the stack ?

Jul 2009
    NRW, GER

Quote Originally Posted by Waikiki View Post
    So its possible to clique the terminus away with the trigger on the stack ?
    sure

Suppose I manage to cast Reforge the Soul on my first turn (without drawing any cards on the turn) with mana floating. Then the first card I draw off out of my 7 is another Reforge the Soul Two questions (with my guesses at answers, but I'd like confirmation):

1) Does the Miracle trigger interrupt the draws? In other words, if I choose to play the new Reforge the Soul, do I discard my (empty) hand, draw 7, and then draw the remaining 6 from the original Reforge the Soul? I would guess this is wrong. I would guess I finish drawing the first 7, then cast the new Reforge the Soul, discarding the remaining 6 (unless I can use them in response), and ending up with 7 cards in hand.

2) When do I have to decide whether or not I am casting the new Reforge the Soul? Do I have to make the decision before I see the remaining 6 cards I'm about to draw? I would think it would work as follows: I draw Reforge the Soul, the Miracle triggers, and I reveal Reforge the Soul. I finish drawing 6 more cards from the original Reforge the Soul. Then I can decide whether or not to play the second Reforge the Soul. Supposing I decide to play it, I can then respond using any of the cards in my new hand.

Am I correct in these cases?

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    Suppose I manage to cast Reforge the Soul on my first turn (without drawing any cards on the turn) with mana floating. Then the first card I draw off out of my 7 is another Reforge the Soul Two questions (with my guesses at answers, but I'd like confirmation):

1) Does the Miracle trigger interrupt the draws? In other words, if I choose to play the new Reforge the Soul, do I discard my (empty) hand, draw 7, and then draw the remaining 6 from the original Reforge the Soul? I would guess this is wrong. I would guess I finish drawing the first 7, then cast the new Reforge the Soul, discarding the remaining 6 (unless I can use them in response), and ending up with 7 cards in hand.

2) When do I have to decide whether or not I am casting the new Reforge the Soul? Do I have to make the decision before I see the remaining 6 cards I'm about to draw? I would think it would work as follows: I draw Reforge the Soul, the Miracle triggers, and I reveal Reforge the Soul. I finish drawing 6 more cards from the original Reforge the Soul. Then I can decide whether or not to play the second Reforge the Soul. Supposing I decide to play it, I can then respond using any of the cards in my new hand.

Am I correct in these cases?
    1) Again, Miracle is a trigger. It triggers when you draw and reveal the card, and then goes on the stack the next time stuff goes on the stack just like any other trigger.

2) You don't have to decide whether to cast it until the Miracle trigger resolves. You can respond to the miracle trigger on the stack or to the spell after you've cast it.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information