Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st with MUD @ Mythic Games, Elmira, NY

1st with MUD @ Mythic Games, Elmira, NY

I’m here with another report with MUD. This time I got first instead of just splitting the top 4. My list has not changed much since the last time I played it:

4 Wurmcoil Engine
    4 Steel Hellkite
    4 Lodestone Golem
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Platinum Emperion
    2 Karn Liberated

4 Thran Dynamo
    4 Grim Monolith
    3 Metalworker
    3 Voltaic Key

4 Chalice of the Void
    1 All is Dust

3 Buried Ruin
    3 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb

SB: 3 Cursed Totem
    SB: 4 Trinisphere
    SB: 2 Phyrexian Metamorph
    SB: 2 Sundering Titan
    SB: 1 Karn Liberated
    SB: 2 All is Dust
    SB: 1 Crucible of Worlds

I described the deck in detail in my previous tournament report, which is here:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ames-Elmira-NY

So I will dive right into the matches:

Round 1: Erick with Sneak-Show

Erick is a former Ithacan; I helped him sleeve up right before the event so I know what he’s playing. He knows I always play the same deck, so I don’t have an advantage.

Game 1: We keep our hands and start going. We durdle a bit and he eventually casts Show and Tell. He plays Sneak Attack, I play Revoker; I name Sneak Attack. The Revoker is joined by a Hellkite and he dies.

SB: +4 Trinisphere, +2 Phyrexian Metamorph, -1 All is Dust, -1 Karn, -4 Steel Hellkite

Game 2: I land an early Chalice of the Void and follow it with Trinisphere the following turn. Erick casts Intuition and finds 2 Through the Breach and 1 Sneak Attack. I give him Sneak Attack. During his upkeep, I port his only red source. I cast Lodestone Golem and Metalworker and begin the beats. Eventually, he Echoing Truths my Golem and casts Show and Tell. I run out my Revoker and he runs Griselbrand; I name Griselbrand. With him at 3 mana, I untap and activate Metalworker, revealing 5 artifacts. I cast Lodestone Golem, follow with Karn Liberated, and swing in for lethal.

1-0 (2-0)

Round 2: Maverick (blanking on name)

Game 1: My opponent keeps a lone Wasteland hand on a mull to 5. He plays draw-go while I just drop lands. He eventually draws a Plains and casts Stoneforge Mystic. I play Thran Dynamo and pass. He attacks for 1 and casts Mother of Runes. I untap, cast Lodestone Golem and waste his Wasteland. He untaps and passes. I cast a second Golem and he scoops.

SB: +3 Cursed Totem, +2 All is Dust, +1 Karn Liberated, +1 Crucible of Worlds, -3 Metalworker, -4 Steel Hellkite

Game 2: This game is a blow-out. I cast a turn 2 Wurmcoil Engine and he has no way of directly dealing with it. He casts Birds of Paradise, Noble Hierarch, Knight of the Reliquary and a Batterskull. I untap, cast All is Dust, and he scoops.

2-0 (4-0)

Game 3: Tyler with Maverick

Game 1: My opponent makes no plays for the first few turns of the game. I cast Revoker and name Pridemage since I can see he has a Savannah and other GW lands so I put him on Maverick. I swing with my Revoker and casts Qasali Ambusher to block, which blows me out. I cast Thran Dynamo and he just happens to have the Pridemage I was locking out. I try to recover but I am too far behind. He lands Sword of Body and Mind and has just the right cards to keep me from connecting with Steel Hellkite.

SB: +3 Cursed Totem, +2 All is Dust, +1 Karn Liberated, +1 Crucible of Worlds, -3 Metalworker, -4 Steel Hellkite

Game 2 and 3: I don’t quite remember these matches because I was slightly on auto-pilot. At this point, Maverick is a very easy match-up for me and I just use my Revokers and Chalices to control his board. Game 3 ended with 2 Revokers (1 on Sword of War and Peace and 1 on Pridemage), Cursed Totem and Chalice of the Void on my side of the board.

3-0 (6-1)

Round 4 and 5: ID
    Looks like I’m a lock for top 8 so I draw both my matches.

I run and get food with one of the others in the top 8. The food takes a long time, so we run back to store and let our friends bring it to us. Turns out the players want to play for prize instead of chopping the top 8.

Quarterfinals: Jason with Burn

If I’m not mistaken, Jason works at Mythic Games (and is nicknamed Poptart). This is his second Legacy tournament ever so he’s pretty pumped that he got there. We played earlier for funsies and I gave him some tips about sideboarding against me. Luckily, it didn’t end up biting me in the rear.

Game 1: Jason keeps a 1 lander, casting Vexing Devil. I take 4 since I don’t see myself blocking it anytime soon. I run out a turn 1 Chalice for 1. He gets stuck on lands and I follow with Chalice for 2. I eventually cast a robot and he scoops.

SB: +4 Trinisphere, -1 Karn Liberated, -1 All is Dust, -2 Steel Hellkite

Game 2: Jason starts with Goblin Guide. I reveal Buried Ruin and draw for my turn. My hand is insane: I go Ancient Tomb, Grim Monolith, Voltaic Key, Trinisphere. The following turn I cast Lodestone Golem. Jason casts Fireblast with the alternate cost to take out the Golem. I run out Wurmcoil Engine the following turn and Jason has no way to stop it. He packs it up.

4-0 (8-1)

We chop the top 4 prize and play for the Mythic points. This means I have 175 in credit to use up after the event.

Semifinals: Curtis with ANT in Flames

Game 1: I have a crappy hand this game: 2 Land (not Sol Lands), Revoker, Dynamo, All is Dust, and a robot (not Lodestone Golem). Curtis starts with Gitaxian Probe to peek at my hand and then Duresses my All is Dust. I draw another Revoker, lay a land and pass. He then combos off and Tendrils me dead. He comboed off with LED; if I had drawn Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors or Chalice of the Void, I would have been able to stop him.

SB: +4 Trinisphere, -1 Karn Liberated, -1 All is Dust, -2 Steel Hellkite

Game 2: I start with Chalice for 1. I follow Chalice with Lodestone Golem and begin the beats. He drops 2 LEDs and passes. I rip Revoker and name LED. He untaps, Wishes for Meltdown and passes. I swing in for lethal.

Game 3: He’s on the play but only drops a fetch. I draw and cast Voltaic Key, followed by Chalice for 0 (he had a Lotus Petal, so this worked out for me). He untaps, plays a second fetch, cracks both, gets Swamp and Volcanic Island, and follows up with a Wish for Meltdown. I untap, cast Monolith and run out Dynamo and Trinisphere. His eyes pop a little and I pass. He draws, tanks for a bit, lays a land and passes. I am overjoyed he didn’t pull the trigger (turns out he wanted to get Trinisphere, which is probably correct). I untap, Waste his Volcanic Island and cast Chalice for 3 so he can no longer Meltdown at all. I start beating him with Factory and Waste him whenever I can. Eventually I land Lodestone Golem and he scoops because he can’t get to 5 mana in time with my beaters.

5-0 (10-2)

Finals: Rob with Maverick

Rob scoops to me immediately. We have played a few times before and it has always gone well for me; he doesn’t want to struggle through the match, so he scoops to head home. This makes me the winner apparently. I cash in my prize for some foil goodies (thanks to Dan for pulling some stuff out of his personal collection; that was tight.)

Phyrexian Metamorph has been horrible; I want to cut him. I am not sure what I would replace him with at the moment however. My thoughts have gone to cards like Duplicant and Spine of Ish Sah, which are good in multiple match-ups theoretically. In particular, this would be to combat Sneak-Show but feels too slow against other decks.

Sun Droplet could also be very good since I have noticed that Burn-based aggro and Affinity tend to be tougher than other match ups. Witchbane Orb is also a possibility. It has applications against black discard strategies but it is slower than Sun Droplet. Discard is not really big at the moment, so I think Droplet would be preferable since it has buys me extra time in aggro match-ups.

Otherwise, I would not touch my list. Despite how it looks, I have found it to be extremely consistent without any tutors or card manipulation. I can go into more depth about why I believe the deck is strong without Forgemaster, but I won’t here unless someone is interested.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Zirath; 06-22-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Apr 2012
    Schenectady,NY

Re: 1st with MUD @ Mythic Games, Elmira, NY

Nice report I like how you beat Sneak Show.
    I wonder if Shattering Spree would have been better than Meltdown,idk.
    I still would have lost my hand but I would have been up a LED.
    Well Anyways the matchup just sucks for me anyways.

Thanks for being nice about the prize split thing. O and my name starts with a C ...lol

Quote Originally Posted by MTG Junkie View Post
    Nice report I like how you beat Sneak Show.
    I wonder if Shattering Spree would have been better than Meltdown,idk.
    I still would have lost my hand but I would have been up a LED.
    Well Anyways the matchup just sucks for me anyways.

Thanks for being nice about the prize split thing. O and my name starts with a C ...lol
    I think in either case it was really tough. You were really choked on mana and I think you would have had to fetch too many wasteable lands to rely on Shattering Spree.

My bad. I'll fix it right away.

Sep 2011
    Elmira, N.Y

Glad you had a good time. Thanks for making the drive and great report.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythic Games View Post
    Glad you had a good time. Thanks for making the drive and great report.
    It was a great event; thank you so much for hosting it. And thanks again for the foil Robots.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Good job piloting the deck to first place.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Good job piloting the deck to first place.
    Much thanks. MUD variants are very strong in this meta; I think the big key is to pilot it correctly. I believe this is one of the biggest issues holding MUD back from moving up the ladder.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Zirath View Post
    Much thanks. MUD variants are very strong in this meta; I think the big key is to pilot it correctly. I believe this is one of the biggest issues holding MUD back from moving up the ladder.
    I agree. Knowing what to play first/general order of playing things is something I learn about this deck as I keep playtesting it because it is more punishing compared to other aggro decks. You have to play with proper succession like a combo deck.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Congratulations and good job! I've played a list very similar to your list on MODO and done well. My major downfalls have been play errors (as nameless one mentions, it is important to play your lock pieces first and then your threats) and bad draws off the top (one 'issue' with this version of MUD is that we are at the mercy of the top of our deck).

It seems you did not include an All is Dust in your sideboard, above.

In Quarterfinals vs. Burn, you leave the Revokers in your deck. Is this to name Hellspark Elemental (Unearth) or to block Goblin Guide? Vs. Burn, I usually cut the Revokers (as there aren't many good activated abilities to name) and leave in the Karns/Hellkites. My reason behind Hellkite is the ability to blow up a Sulfuric Vortex (while Vortex isn't seeing much play, its ability to block lifelink off Wurmcoil can be fatal). Karn, similarly, can blow up Vortex or seal the deal vs. a mana-screwed opponent.

Very nice job! I'm glad you're doing well with the deck. I also like the inclusion of the main deck Revokers, as it's necessary in a meta of Sneak Attacks, Sensei's Diving Tops, and LEDs. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    Congratulations and good job! I've played a list very similar to your list on MODO and done well. My major downfalls have been play errors (as nameless one mentions, it is important to play your lock pieces first and then your threats) and bad draws off the top (one 'issue' with this version of MUD is that we are at the mercy of the top of our deck).

It seems you did not include an All is Dust in your sideboard, above.

In Quarterfinals vs. Burn, you leave the Revokers in your deck. Is this to name Hellspark Elemental (Unearth) or to block Goblin Guide? Vs. Burn, I usually cut the Revokers (as there aren't many good activated abilities to name) and leave in the Karns/Hellkites. My reason behind Hellkite is the ability to blow up a Sulfuric Vortex (while Vortex isn't seeing much play, its ability to block lifelink off Wurmcoil can be fatal). Karn, similarly, can blow up Vortex or seal the deal vs. a mana-screwed opponent.

Very nice job! I'm glad you're doing well with the deck. I also like the inclusion of the main deck Revokers, as it's necessary in a meta of Sneak Attacks, Sensei's Diving Tops, and LEDs. Thanks!
    I disagree with the idea that this deck is inconsistent; I have found that you can minimize the fact that you do not provide card advantage in two ways. One is by improving the value of the cards in your deck. A good example is that the lands I run are all worth more than color producing lands. All of my threats match up to the fatties of combo decks. My lock pieces are either provide a clock or break the symmetry. Second is by playing your hand correctly; this is a combination of mulliganing correctly and sequencing correctly. Both of these are essential. My opinion has become there is not a single game I have played in the last few months where I was simply outdrawn and I was 100% at the mercy of my deck. There is always more room for mistakes.

I think I misposted my list. I'll try to fix it.

Against Burn, my answer is both; trading Revoker for Guide is fine since you may not be able to muster a threat quickly enough to deal with Guide, which will be a 6-8 damage burn spell. Turning off Hellspark is a big deal as well since it is one of their few cards that sidestep both Chalice and Trinisphere. I would rather board out my hard to cast spells in this match up. Hellkite hitting Vortex is okay, as is Karn, but 7 mana is not a reliable amount in a race and I would rather make some early trades than try to play out the lategame.

I used to play Dragon Stompy and played Revoker in there. When I saw Fropper's list from December I kept Revoker even though in DStompy it was usually not amazing. However, Revoker has been amazing consistently. The only match up where he is bad is RUG Delver. I cannot imagine cutting him in this metagame. If we see a significant shift, that may change, but I can imagine very few metagames where he isn't bonkers.

Zirath....played amazing and the deck is very consistent....he beat me first round and has had a huge learning curve with the deck in a short amount of time.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

thanks for your input on the Revokers. Revoker is a solid card vs. most of the field. Thanks for fixing the All is Dust above. Your logic vs. Burn is solid, it is better to keep a mana curve than to be stuck with a hand of 6/7 casters that you can't play fast enough.

Mar 2006
    Amsterdam

Congrats on the finish.
    Tested your deck for a few games and it feels really strong. You are the first to have made a consistent MUD deck and I like it. Voltaic Key does not feel situational because of the brilliant addition of Thran Dynamo. I really can't think of a way to improve the maindeck right now, although I would probably play 4 Mishra's Factory and 2 Buried Ruins. I don't have enough experience with sideboarding yet so I don't know about that.

Could you perhaps give a detailed sideboard guide? And your SB appears to be missing a card!

Thanks in advance.
    Team R&D

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Congrats on the finish.
    Tested your deck for a few games and it feels really strong. You are the first to have made a consistent MUD deck and I like it. Voltaic Key does not feel situational because of the brilliant addition of Thran Dynamo. I really can't think of a way to improve the maindeck right now, although I would probably play 4 Mishra's Factory and 2 Buried Ruins. I don't have enough experience with sideboarding yet so I don't know about that.

Could you perhaps give a detailed sideboard guide? And your SB appears to be missing a card!

Thanks in advance.
    You can thank Fropper for the list; it was originally his innovation. I have just joined his school, so to speak.

I used to play 4 Factory and 2 Buried Ruin. Buried Ruin is too insane. It does tremendous amounts of work in multiple match ups. You can recur Wurmcoil Engine after it gets countered; you can recur dead Grim Monoliths to get your mana rolling; you can recur Revoker to lock down a card that you need out of the way. Obviously it is meta-dependent, but I prefer 3 Buried Ruin since the card is extremely powerful.

Sideboarding is pretty straightforward actually.

RUG, Burn, Affinity, Combo - 4 Trinisphere, -2 Karn, -1 Dust, -1 Hellkite or -3 Revoker against RUG

Stoneblade/Jace decks - +1 Karn, +1 Crucible, +2 Sundering Titan, -4 Hellkite

Maverick/Bant/DnT - +1 Karn, +2 All is Dust, +1 Crucible, + 3 Cursed Totem, -3 Metalworker, -4 Hellkite

Goblins/Fish - +1 Crucible, -1 Hellkite

Elves - +4 Trinisphere, +3 Cursed Totem, -3 Metalworker, -4 Steel Hellkite

That should be most of the relevant ones. The deck's sideboarding is fairly intuitive.

My sideboard is 15 atm since I fixed it.

Aug 2011
    NRW/Germany

Congrats to first place! So good to see a MUD list without Forgemaster placing well
    I've seen you haven't mentioned the Platinum emperion at all, how was he performing for you? I've replaced him with Batterskulls and the deck feels even better now.

btw the list I piloted in November last year wasn't my own brew but patched together and tweaked from various lists posted over at the german mtg board http://www.mtg-forum.de/topic/75301-mud/

Quote Originally Posted by Fropper View Post
    Congrats to first place! So good to see a MUD list without Forgemaster placing well
    I've seen you haven't mentioned the Platinum emperion at all, how was he performing for you? I've replaced him with Batterskulls and the deck feels even better now.

btw the list I piloted in November last year wasn't my own brew but patched together and tweaked from various lists posted over at the german mtg board http://www.mtg-forum.de/topic/75301-mud/
    Great to hear from you again. Forgemaster is good but I can live without him.

Platinum Emperion has actually been excellent. There have been multiple situations where he has turned off equipment or given me enormous amounts of virtual life. Many times, people blow their removal so early, he ends up sticking.

Batterskull could be superior. If I had any still, I'd try it. However, Platinum Emperion has been very satisfying; I would not think to change him.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Have you given any more thought to Metamorph in the 'board? Duplicant, Spine, or Sun Droplet as you mentioned at the end of your report?

If Platinum Emporiums become Batterskulls, then Sun Droplet might become moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    Have you given any more thought to Metamorph in the 'board? Duplicant, Spine, or Sun Droplet as you mentioned at the end of your report?

If Platinum Emporiums become Batterskulls, then Sun Droplet might become moot.
    I haven't really had a reason to deal with it much at the moment since I've been really busy. I'm most likely leaning towards Sun Droplet at the moment since it has applications against RUG in addition to other aggro decks.

Mar 2006
    Amsterdam

Tested about two dozen matches on MWS and the results have been largely positive. I think I'm somewhere around 19-5. The only matchup that has been giving me fits is the RUG matchup. They have such efficient ways of getting rid of all of our investments. Daze on a Wurmcoil Engine, Lightning Bolt on a Lodestone Golem, Wasteland on the Ancient Tombs, it's just crippling. I think a playset of Relic of Progenitus in the sideboard is in order as it helps out against Reanimator, Loam decks and Dredge as well which seem like tricky matchups as well. I also found that I wanted an extra land, as mana screw was an issue sometimes and flood is almost never an issue since the lands in this deck double as spells pretty much. I believe Metalworker is better than Thran Dynamo in this deck. Furthermore Batterskull seems better against RUG than Platinum Emperion so I prefer to play that.

So my changes are: -2 Platinum Emperion, -1 Thran Dynamo, -1 Phyrexian Revoker
    +1 Metalworker, +2 Batterskull, +1 Mishra's Factory
    SB -2 Metamorph, -1 Karn, -1 Crucible, -1 All is Dust, +4 Relic, +1 Phyrexian Revoker.

This way the sideboard has much more blowout potential and is much less just tweaking the deck to achieve a better configuration of bombs.
    I feel with this configuration you give up a little bit of power across the field, but gain a tremendous boost in matchup percentage against RUG, Dredge and Loam decks.
    Team R&D

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Tested about two dozen matches on MWS and the results have been largely positive. I think I'm somewhere around 19-5. The only matchup that has been giving me fits is the RUG matchup. They have such efficient ways of getting rid of all of our investments. Daze on a Wurmcoil Engine, Lightning Bolt on a Lodestone Golem, Wasteland on the Ancient Tombs, it's just crippling. I think a playset of Relic of Progenitus in the sideboard is in order as it helps out against Reanimator, Loam decks and Dredge as well which seem like tricky matchups as well. I also found that I wanted an extra land, as mana screw was an issue sometimes and flood is almost never an issue since the lands in this deck double as spells pretty much. I believe Metalworker is better than Thran Dynamo in this deck. Furthermore Batterskull seems better against RUG than Platinum Emperion so I prefer to play that.

So my changes are: -2 Platinum Emperion, -1 Thran Dynamo, -1 Phyrexian Revoker
    +1 Metalworker, +2 Batterskull, +1 Mishra's Factory
    SB -2 Metamorph, -1 Karn, -1 Crucible, -1 All is Dust, +4 Relic, +1 Phyrexian Revoker.

This way the sideboard has much more blowout potential and is much less just tweaking the deck to achieve a better configuration of bombs.
    I feel with this configuration you give up a little bit of power across the field, but gain a tremendous boost in matchup percentage against RUG, Dredge and Loam decks.
    Beating RUG is about patience. Expect to lose game 1 because it's harder to be patient. When you board in Trinisphere game 2 and 3, the game completely changes and you should have the upper hand since you will have too many cards that effectively stop them. If the blow a Bolt on Lodestone, it's one less to go to your head. You should be playing around Daze, actively Porting them, etc. If you are running Wurmcoil into Daze, you are making a mistake.

Additionally, if you're concerned about RUG being able to easily deal with threats, Metalworker can be killed easily, Dynamo cannot.

I would also like to comment that I have never lost to Reanimator, Dredge or Aggro Loam ever and I have played all 3 a considerable number of times. In fact, all 3 are almost autowins. You have fatties that are as good as Reanimator's, Platinum Emperion, Wurmcoil Engine and Steel Hellkite crush Dredge and Aggro Loam is not fast enough to do anything to stop you. Once you lay down a Chalice or a Revoker, you can follow up with Karn or Dust them and they will have trouble winning. If you are having trouble with graveyard decks, I don't think you are sequencing correctly.

Cutting Crucible is a huge loss against decks like Goblins, Merfolk, Maverick and Stoneblade.

So overall, I wouldn't make any of those changes since none of the cards you changed beside Metamorph have ever been less than spectacular for me. That being said, if you have a RUG heavy meta, Batterskull is definitely a good card, but Revoker should go before Emperion.

Thread Information