Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] W/x Parfait (Tax/Rack Control)

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Re: [Deck] W/x Parfait (Tax/Rack Control)

I already know my response is going to differ from others but I'll touch on it again.

Land tax finds basic lands. The result of this is that basic lands should be the focus. Non basics detract from the plan and should be generally avoided. Why do I want to turn on an opponents wastelands if I don't have to for example? It seems better to have my opponent play his wastelands and possibly use them on himself gaining me value regardless.

That said, I think it fits in better with the appropriate splash. For my green splash I will probably play it there, but it will most likely be doing something different from my mono white list.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

What else do you run in your Green splash list, I'm kind of interested. Is it a splash for something like Crop Rotation, or is it more for like Witness/Library or something like that?

I see what you're saying about turning on opponents Wastelands. It also probably depends if you're going first or second though, or get one of those "Mox, Land Tax, go" draws because if you get your Tax trigger and follow up with a Canopy and they Waste that, that seems like a retard magnet for them... they just went 1 for 1 with a deck that will have 3-6 Plains in their hand and since you're not dependent on green it's just a minor inconvenience for you.
    May your suffering equal your weakness
    --Ihsan's Shade

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I hadn't done to much work on it, but sylvan library and enchantress's presence were the main cards.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    I hadn't done to much work on it, but sylvan library and enchantress's presence were the main cards.
    Choke might even be maindeckable, considering the amount of blue in the format (and the fact that it forces your opponent to keep playing lands thus turning on land tax).
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

This is exactly how Enchantress first happened. I'd be careful, or you'll just end up with a worse version of a not-so-good deck.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Enchantress is a good deck, so I'm not sure where you're going with that. It's under represented.

You are basically seeing why I call the deck mono white. Blood moon still beats decks, and access to blasts is great when you are very likely to see blue. The main reason for red in the first place was for belcher. Being able to keep a mountain in the deck allows you to win with a 10 card library. As unlikely as that sounds I've been in that situation too many times. I hope that clears some of that up.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Apr 2008
    Hayden, AL

So with the new White enchantment we also get a new win condition besides Painter's Servant.

4 Scroll Rack
    4 Land Tax
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Mox Diamond
    14 Plains
    4 Tithe
    2 Grindstone
    2 Painter's Servant
    3 Rest in Peace
    3 Circle of Protection: Red
    4 Celestial Purge
    4 Argivian Find
    4 Abolish
    4 Myth Realized
    SB: 4 Oblivion Ring
    SB: 4 Path to Exile
    SB: 1 Rest in Peace
    SB: 2 Absolute Law
    SB: 1 Circle of Protection: Red
    SB: 1 Warmth
    SB: 2 Refraction Trap

So basically the gameplan now is to beatdown with Myth Realized until it gets overly annoying and switch mid-game to Painter's Servant Grindstone to make sure you seal the deal. Or try to assemble them quickly in the opening of your Tax strategy.
    Team Shit Sandwich; smelling bad so you don't have to.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I don't get why you are jamming nonbos into the same deck. Why are you not focusing on one game plan?
    The Parfait Meta-Game

I'd think there was potential with Edge of Autumn and Carpet of Flowers

Jun 2012
    NY

I'm really enjoying this deck.

My list:

4 Land Tax
    3 Scroll Rack
    4 Sensei's Divining Top

4 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Burning Wish

4 Terminus
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Orim's Chant
    2 Oblivion Ring
    1 Humility
    1 Cursed Totem
    1 Blood Moon

2 Rest In Peace
    2 Helm of Obedience

4 Mox Diamond

4 Crystal Vein
    12 Plains
    1 Mountain

Sideboard:
    4 Abeyance
    1 Entreat the Angels
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Wrath of God
    1 Tariff
    1 Vindicate
    1 Regrowth
    1 Replenish
    1 Cranial Extraction
    1 Idyllic Tutor
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Carpet of Flowers

Some comments:
    - Humility is such a hoser, but I find myself constantly googling it's interactions. Is there a rule of thumb for this card?
    - Thinking about Goblin Charbelcher as an alternative win condition. Pulling all the basics is pretty doable with Land Tax, the single mountain is a bonus, but Crystal Vein creates a nonbo.
    - I've toyed around with the idea of a transformational sideboard... Bringing in a Stoneforge Mystic and Batterskull package.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Transformational is essentially what my board allows for. Batterskull, elspeth, and cannonist I find do a lot of work when they come in. I main belcher as well so that I can move into dudes if needed. There is a reason I only play plateau as my non basic. I'm otherwise surprised to see replenish as open the vaults feels better but still unnecessary.

As for humility. 1/1, no ability -> compare to time stamp
    That should be the simplest way to understand what it's doing.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

This thread seems dead but with the advent of creature based decks (Eldrazi) pushing away some combo decks (namely ANT), we're seeing the return of decks like Enchantress.

Now It feels like this is the perfect meta for this deck. I came up with a list that, in my playtest against friends, does really well at the moment.

1 Humility
    1 Isochron Scepter
    2 Sacred Mesa
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    12 Plains
    4 Orim's Chant
    3 Ghostly Prison
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Land Tax
    3 Scroll Rack
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Wrath of God
    3 Oblivion Ring
    2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Mobilization
    1 Mistveil Plains
    4 Windswept Heath
    SB: 2 Rest in Peace
    SB: 1 Circle of Protection: Red
    SB: 3 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 3 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    SB: 2 Containment Priest
    SB: 2 Sundering Growth
    SB: 2 Nevermore

What do you guys think? Is this tournament playable? It holds up very well against eldrazi, miracles, creature based decks, show and tell decks, etc.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I haven't changed my list since tax was made available. The deck just beats everything, but punishes any stumble hard.

I'm not a fan of scepter, but I'm not opposed to it. Between chant, plow, and tutor it is powerful I just don't like that it has to almost be a 4 mana spell. Mesa without "ramp" feels bad. If you want to play it add a planar birth to combo. That said I like rip/helm and goblin charbelcher as win cons. They fit well with the deck and use minimal space while being useful beyond simply winning the game. As a general statement I don't like non basics with tax. I have cut my plateaus for mountains finally. The draw to the deck is much like it was for vintage. We get to negate a lot of our opponents cards and play silver bullets to beat specific strategies. Straying from that weakens the deck IMHO.

Parfait is tournament playable. I've been performing with it for years. Interestingly I find as new cards and metas change it makes my deck stronger. The delve era was great for me. Combo will continue to be out worst matchup but that is also why we have a sideboard. We have main deck tools to win game 1, and succeeding in that almost guarantees a match win.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

I've already adjusted my list to be closer to yours but I'm wondering if you still value Solitary Confinement as high as you once did.
    What's so great about it? I've thought of using mistveil plains to recur lands permanently but it's such a nonbo with RIP.

Is there any matchup some other bullets we have in the deck are not able to take care of?
    The only one I can think of is burn based deck but one would think Zuran Orb will be enough to stall (aside from the sulfuric vortex part)

I'm not saying it's bad but I feel it's very narrow as I've never played with it.

Edit: Also, have you tried Elspeth, Sun's Champion instead of Knight-Errant?
    I'm trying her right now and she's harder to get out safely but once she does she really wins the game by herself.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I sure do. I find it one of the most underrated cards. For 3 mana you have an answer to every deck and at worst you played a time walk in white. White has had some of the most powerful cards ever printed, but they aren't blue and tend to get ignored.

With what I have main there should be an answer for every match up. The challenge is determine which card it is and how you need to leverage it. Zuran orb is such an example. Obviously it gains life, but it's stronger use is to keep tax active. Red doesn't deal with solitary confinement ever.

As for elspeth. I like 4 mana vs 6. It's easier to cast and still wins the game by itself.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

First of, thanks for all the insight!

I'm trying a transformative sideboard to go more creature/control like DnT since it performs really well against miracles (once they side out all removal).

Is there any other matchups where we want to be agressive?

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

For the most part against any combo deck we want to be aggressive. We are generally slow so being able to pressure our opponent while setting up a combo is great. The type of combo does matter though. Against show and tell we can usually cast a rip for free and let them show our helm into play to win or an oring to beat them.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

For the most part against any combo deck we want to be aggressive. We are generally slow so being able to pressure our opponent while setting up a combo is great. The type of combo does matter though. Against show and tell we can usually cast a rip for free and let them show our helm into play to win or an oring to beat them.
    That's exactly what I found out in my playtesting but Elspeth still seems hard to get out while leaving mana open.
    Which is why I like Sacred Mesa. It's easy to get to 3 mana or 4 mana with Ochant backup.

Also, Miracles seem to have a tough time beating a token producing card like that unless it's quickly removed.
    That alone makes me want to play it in the side since we cannot give that deck any time to build up.

I'm keeping both in my side for now. We'll see if they are relevant or not.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

That's the reason to diversify threats game 2. It creates a lot of spells that need to be dealt with and naturally they can't all be dealt with. Sometimes a chant is all it takes to bait out a spell so that you can windmill slam what you need next turn.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Thread Information