Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] W/x Parfait (Tax/Rack Control)

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Re: [Deck] W/x Parfait (Tax/Rack Control)

I’ve been playing Wr since the unbanning of tax and can tell you it’s extremely competitive. Blue does give access to some neat cards, but I think that also lends itself to taking away some of the strengths of mono white as immediately you want to play a “blue deck”. Chants and a tool box are part of the competitive edge especially when combined with blanking many of our opponents cards. The only glass cannon here is the pilot.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    The only glass cannon here is the pilot.
    Quote of the day.

Wow it got a little personal already, try not to be a tool about it as there’s already too few people playing legacy.

My win rate is decent as long as I can protect land tax and that’s my point. Without it, there is no engine. I’m a little unclear of the benefits of Wr over UW when Supreme Verdict is a strict upgrade over Wrath, and Back to Basics is probably superior to Blood moon. The rest of your deck is either single W mana or an artifact?

I’ll concede that I haven’t looked too deeply into your sideboard. Enlighten me.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

The engine is great, it’s the reason to play parfait after all. You can win without the engine however, or you should be able to. Perhaps that’s why you went the blue route? The fact that the deck can contain so many must answer cards is an indirect strength.

The best reason for red is simply how little you need for such big/relevant plays. Blasts are reason number 1. Heavy blue makes it easy to take out bad cards for blast against most of the field. Blood moon is the main reason however. With everyone wanting to play greedy mana bases without basics a resolved bloodmoon means game against a lot of decks. Charbelcher is also a great secondary win condition that takes advantage of what we are trying to do anyway while also doubling as a colourless removal spell if needed against Iona for example. Having a single mountain means that we can potentially win with a 10 card library. Nahiri has also proved to be a great addition. The filtering alone is great but the removal is gravy.

I wouldn’t call supreme verdict a strict upgrade over wrath. Back to basics is far from superior to blood for obvious reasons. Not sure how to really comment on the rest. Sorry you felt attacked, but this is far from something like oops all spells (an actual glass cannon).
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Interesting, thanks for your views. Why do you play Oblivion ring over Council’s judgement?

Quote Originally Posted by Shamusj View Post
    Why do you play Oblivion ring over Council’s judgement?
    You can fetch O-Ring with E-tutor. That's part of the strengths of the toobox.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

7 > 4

It is a big part of the tool box while being a card type that is not specifically targeted. Also maybe you’ve played against show and tell?

I do have a single council’s judgment in my sideboard but it is mainly there as an answer for something I can’t target. Most removal that I’m playing will not be dead simply by being versatile.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

For this reason, shouldn't we switch the mana base to Snow-Covered and play some number of On Thin Ice instead of StP?

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Well I play path, but that gives us instant speed removal that can benefit us and have no draw back at all on occasion. Also I play trinisphere as one of my bullets so the ability to have options on an opponents turn also can become relevant. Just imagine a 3sphere in play against delver for instance. An eot path on delver can create all kinds of lines and give potential info to us. Do they let it resolve because they can only play one spell? Is it their only pressure so they have to give you a free turn? In the end it’s an instant removal spell vs sorcery speed pseudo removal. I’d wager that if you think of what you’re removing you’ll probably see more value in the instant option. I would like on thin ice in a Quinn build more as I would think tutoring for a single creature removal spell seems bad when I’m already redundant in that area.

I think that actually highlights a strength of the deck itself. People will play weird against parfait. There are strong prison elements paired with blanking of opponents cards which also makes sideboarding challenging. On one hand we play a very linear game, but we can do it slow or fast. If we dictate the pace we want, we win.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

A Dedicated Storm Player...
    May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

@Weapon X,
    Hi,
    I am just building a Parfait deck in premodern format - I don't know if you know this format, but I love it.
    this is my n.m iteration of the deck and I'd like you to give me some insights/opinion.
    I would have love to build the deck with trinis as one of my iteraions of the deck in legacy, but trini no longer exists, so I built the deck based on you last iteration (also no RiP)
    Context of meta:
    Sligh(with anarchy), Survival, landstill, Enchantress, Goblins, devourer combo, Psychatog, rock with pernis...
    in here there is no FoW!

there it goes the iteration:

// Lands
    16 [7E] Plains (4)
    2 [U] Mountain (1)

// Spells
    1 [TE] Humility
    4 [4E] Land Tax
    4 [TE] Scroll Rack
    4 [MI] Enlightened Tutor
    1 [IA] Zuran Orb
    3 [10E] Aura of Silence
    4 [V10] Mox Diamond
    3 [WL] Argivian Find
    1 [AQ] Ivory Tower
    1 [MI] Sacred Mesa
    1 [C14] Tormod's Crypt
    1 [AL] Soldevi Digger
    1 [US] Planar Birth
    4 [PS] Orim's Chant
    4 [BRB] Swords to Plowshares
    1 [8E] Blood Moon
    2 [8E] Wrath of God
    1 [JU] Solitary Confinement
    1 [6E] Armageddon

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [IA] Jester's Cap
    SB: 2 [UD] Replenish
    SB: 1 [C15] Aura of Silence
    SB: 3 [UL] Defense Grid
    SB: 2 [IA] Circle of Protection: Red
    SB: 1 [FNM] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 2 [A25] Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 [B] Black Vise
    SB: 1 [OD] Karmic Justice
    SB: 1 [6E] Armageddon

NOTES:
    - I really wanted a replacement for Moat, in this format would be great, but nothing exists - uniquely Santuary Island but don't know - Ibeleive the Sol. Confinament approach should should work but needs the Tax/Rck engine active.
    - te armageddon main is great it acts as a pseudo balance, prefer it over Cataclysm
    - really hated to have sowrds/wrath package, but well it seems quite evident to handle those lackeys / J.pup / echantress decree tokens, etc...
    - don't know what to put in side vs gobs / sligh - thy side in apart of anarchy (replenish in her shines) a card that avoid prevention of dmage - so not sure if things like circles would help...
    - bmoon is supposed to be a house, but still not tested - at least shuts down rishadan.
    - love the old synergy of PBirth / SMesa... any other better option or diff?, in here by luck there is no surgical effects, just tormods. well if someone plays JCap then I will loose.
    - at irst I tried a mix of Story Circle / Ivory mask / Sanctuary Isle, but SCircle is like all of these in 1, not sre if needed maybe 1IMask in side or like.
    - not sure about so manye AOSilence but this card is usefull agains lot of the field and prevents Pernis if acumulated as in main I dont have a anwer to a resolved and activated perni (thought in -1 argician +1 replenish main, but not sure - argivian is the nuts, but armageddon also helps proactively vs this.)
    - thought also in incuding at least 1 SerrasSantum, but not sure.

please let me know your thoughts. in this format this deck really has a lot of potential and is much funnier!
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build
    Yes, I am advanced and you know it...

Suggestion: Play Magic as a Hobby. Competitiveness is uniquely usefull in this Era and just to evolve the human being to a certain extent...

Sanctuary Island works.

You're deck outright loses to Pernious Dead and Abrupt Decay. Fine, I will post the other deck.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Isn’t land tax banned in that format?
    The Parfait Meta-Game

A Dedicated Storm Player...
    May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    Isn’t land tax banned in that format?
    no it isn't,
    look at this deck as example:
    https://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=28239&iddeck=230449

I don't like that agro iteration.
    you'd love this format, there is no FoW no BS...
    neither decay

@NidStyles, vs perni I've thought in AOSilence /Armageddon and KarmicJustice/Replenish from Side
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build
    Yes, I am advanced and you know it...

Suggestion: Play Magic as a Hobby. Competitiveness is uniquely usefull in this Era and just to evolve the human being to a certain extent...

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Sorry, the ban list I saw was from a year ago. So with that said you can probably play the original vintage list. I’d consider peace keeper. Beyond that the legacy forum isn’t really the place to discuss an alternate format.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Congratulations!

What were your matchups?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Congratulations!

What were your matchups?
    Oh I'm just posting the list; it wasn't me

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Oh I'm just posting the list; it wasn't me
    Oh I can't read. Great
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Jun 2019
    USA

I've been running this build for a couple weeks now, and it feels very inconsistent. Sometimes I feel like it's impossible to lose, and other times I feel like there's nothing I can do. I've found it tends to struggle against tempo decks with lots of interaction. Do any of you guys see any cheap upgrades I might made to shore up the deck?

4 Rest in Peace
    3 Energy Field
    1 Web of Inertia
    1 Goblin Charbelcher
    1 Helm of Obedience
    3 Entreat the Angels
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Council's Judgment
    2 Terminus
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    1 Trade Routes
    3 Scroll Rack
    3 Land Tax
    4 Fieldmist Borderpost
    7 Island
    7 Plains
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Tundra

2 SB Greater Auramancy
    1 SB Pithing Needle
    2 SB Misdirection
    2 SB Defense Grid
    4 SB Leyline of Sanctity
    1 SB Disenchant
    1 SB Back to Basics
    2 SB Counterbalance

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
    I've found it tends to struggle against tempo decks with lots of interaction.
    Well, I can imagine why. You're playing an extremely slow version and using Fieldmist Borderpost means you're just losing a turn. Just replacing these with Mod Diamond would be an improvement by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
    Do any of you guys see any cheap upgrades I might made to shore up the deck?
    Not really. This is Legacy.

Thread Information