Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] W/x Parfait (Tax/Rack Control)

Re: [Deck] W/x Parfait (Tax/Rack Control)

Quote Originally Posted by Sereon View Post
    Played a weekly at my LGS yesterday with the list I posted above -1 energy field, -needle main +1 humility, + ghostly prison since I had not yet received my recently bought field. I haven't held a deck for about a year so the rust was real (also no meaningful experience with parfait)...

M1: Infect 0-2
    I was basically 1 turn behind both games, he had all the permission and had nexus both games while I struggled to find either a proactive answer or instant-speed removal.

M2: Eldrazi 2-0
    This felt very one-sided. Basically D-sphere on a dude followed by tutor->B2B won game 1.

Game 2 was a bit longer but I resolved B2B turn 2 and Humility turn 3. I think i comboed him on turn 8-ish.

M3: Reanimator/storm 2-0
    Im playing against an unknown deck but I noticed this guy had finished previous matches very fast so I was under the impression he was not playing fair. This led me to play mox, plains into RiP on the play t1. He played a thoughtseize turn 2, I chanted his turn 3 and 4, won with helm on my turn 5.

Game two was not super exciting either. He reanimated Griselbrand on his turn two. I Sphered it when he passed. Two turns later he hardcast a grave titan. I played a supreme verdict and followed up with an elspeth the turn after. He had no answers.

M4: Goblins 2-1
    This guy is very experienced, has played goblins forever and basically attends all weeklys, super nice guy aswell. Game 1 consists of me playing tax turn 1, he plays a vial and refuses to play enough lands to activate my tax, so I e-tutor for zuran orb. I plow an early lackey and proceed to resolve ghostly prison and a couple of turns later humility. It takes a while but I manage to find the combo after 2-3 scroll racks on 8ish.

Game two was fairly back and forth early turns. Of course he was on the play and went for a vial. I sworded an early lackey and proceeded to play a revoker on vial. He played a scrapper on revoker on turn 4 and started beating with a chieftain + some smaller dudes. I played a verdict and the turn after another revoker on vial. He found another scrapper and a krenko and correctly therapied my last supreme verdict which ended the game quickly.

Game three I boarded out the revokers, it felt like he had too many answers and that I should focus on resolving strong enchantments and possibly planeswalkers. So i boarded in Elspeth and Gideon. Can't rebmember the details here but he resolved a chalice on 1 on his turn 2 which never left the board and stranded plow+2BS in my hand. I did however resolve a land tax before this and later a scroll rack. He chaliced for 3 aswell to deny D-sphere on the chalice for 1 and I played a humility shortly after that. The enchantment bought me enough time along with ghostly prison to play a gideon, wipe the board and a couple of turns later I added an espeth to the board which made my opponent concede. Definetly the most fun match of the day.

The deck felt solid, can't really comment card choices yet. The dazes were not good enough for me to feel convinced I should play them, but not bad enough to cut yet either. I might try the Wr version soon, it looks very good on paper and I'm not sure blue is good enough to motivate. Granted, the can't be counter on verdict didn't matter yesterday so I need to test more vs blue creature-based decks before I make up my mind.

Kind regards from Sweden.
    Congrats on your finish, infect is a rough match up we need either an early swords and hope it doesn't get forced or an early energy field, Keg's out of the sideboard are great if you have them as it blows up inkmoth as well, and needle etc.

So Has anyone tested Web of Inertia in blue/white? Seems really solid with RIP as it basically says creature's cant attack you def gonna try it in place of ghostly prison during the next event

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjastill View Post
    So Has anyone tested Web of Inertia in blue/white? Seems really solid with RIP as it basically says creature's cant attack you def gonna try it in place of ghostly prison during the next event
    Why would you ever use this instead of Energy Field

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Why would you ever use this instead of Energy Field
    Im not arguing that it is better than Field, but its very good vs Emrakul decks, just would seem fine as a 1 of

Im not arguing that it is better than Field, but its very good vs Emrakul decks, just would seem fine as a 1 of
    Oh yeah I guess that makes sense. It sill feels iffy needing a Rip for your ghostly prison to work and I think playing EField + Ghostly Prison + This Thing might be too many slots.

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Oh yeah I guess that makes sense. It sill feels iffy needing a Rip for your ghostly prison to work and I think playing EField + Ghostly Prison + This Thing might be too many slots.
    I was planning on dropping Ghostly Prison for Web and just playing it as a 1 of

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

The problem I was having with the UW version and Energy Field, and the same for considering Web of Inertia is that both only prevent combat to you. My backup win condition were planeswalkers like Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Elspeth, Knight-Errant, and they were leaned on pretty regularly when Helm wasn't showing up. Not being able to prevent deadly swings to them was my primary gripe with Energy Field and Web of Inertia has the same problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

The purpose of solitary confinement, and in this case energy field, is to buy time when needed with the upside of just beating some decks on their own.

Between 4 tutors, X copies of a given card, and the parfait engine you mostly just need to survive long enough to win before you come across your missing piece. This also highlights why playing as many basics as you can is desirable as every tax activation is a recall that thins your deck and otherwise increases your threat density.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    The purpose of solitary confinement, and in this case energy field, is to buy time when needed with the upside of just beating some decks on their own.

Between 4 tutors, X copies of a given card, and the parfait engine you mostly just need to survive long enough to win before you come across your missing piece. This also highlights why playing as many basics as you can is desirable as every tax activation is a recall that thins your deck and otherwise increases your threat density.
    I cant tell if your arguing for blue white or dismissing it haha

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Neither. Illustrating that perhaps pirate king is looking at those cards the wrong way.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Do not get me wrong, When Energy Field worked, it was great. But it's not enough of a lock to just play the long game. Being just one Abrupt Decay away from losing it all was an awful feeling. My comment was just that Web of Inertia doesn't offer any more. Yeah it shuts off Emrakul, but you're wide open to Burn, and for +1 CMC it's a difficult sell. "Buying time" worked out less than when it fell apart. CounterTop disrupted their attempts to find the removal, we don't have that luxury. Against Burn it just won the game, awesome. Other times it did get me to a turn to Rip/Helm a victory. But the largest single instance of the experience with the card is it didn't do enough for long enough.

So I'm fine with Energy Field, it's a useful interaction that costs 4 over two cards, versus Moat that just costs 4. So it's good parity. If Web of Inertia cost more but did more, then I'd be more on board.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quick Tourney report!

Went 2-2 at FNM tonight, my LGS is very competitive all good decks last week went 4-0 had good matchups, this week not so much but had some fun games and learned I want to change a few cards.

Round 1 vs DnT - I won this in 2, as he saw no flickerwisp's to get him out of field/rip lock before helm came down to ruin the fun, same story game 2.

Round 2 vs Red/white Painter - I beat him last week, but this week he had all the answers and I kept a no lander game 3 on the draw with land tax, mox, e-tutor, needle, swords, and RIP...never saw a land he turn 2'd Chandra and other good cards TLDR: Mull that hand :D

Round 3 vs High Tide - Game 1 I have like 15 dead cards and don't have much of a chance, game 2 I won on the back of Canonist and Rip, game 3 he had a very nutty hand and I didnt have much interaction after a mull to 6.

Round 4 vs BUG Leovold - Played against a very skilled opponent and was expecting this to be a grindy matchup, but Land tax Card Adv + RIP was enough to slow him down and I ended up winning in 2.

Overall cards I want to replace as game after game they feel lackluster are... Zuran orb/Ghostly Prison have not been doing much for me, So I may add 1 Pithing needle to the main, and try 1 Web Of inertia in Prison's spot. Overall deck was still sweet and still feel like its a very competitive deck!

Also some other cards I was looking at adding to help our Combo matchup was "In The Eye of Chaos" seems like high tide especially but combo decks even very controlling decks would struggle against this card as a MUST counter.

Went 2-1 at my LGS this week, sadly only 6 showed up which is a bit unusual. Played against Czech Pile, BUG Delver and Eldrazi & Taxes

2-1 vs Czech Pile

Quick Notes: Rip was amazing, was able to grind a lot with scroll rack and Jace both games

1-2 vs BUG Delver

I kept a really sketchy 7 card hand with 1 land STP 3 RIP Mox and Energy Field didnt see a land :), game 2 i destroyed him, game 3 he had an answer for everything sadly

2-0 vs Eldrazi & Taxes

Was easy Game 1 he has no answers for Rip/Field or Rip/Inertie, Game 2 went similar he only saw one piece of hate

Updated List Below!

//Artifact (11)
    2 Helm of Obedience
    1 Isochron Scepter
    1 Meekstone
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Scroll Rack

//Enchantment (18)
    1 Back to Basics
    1 Detention Sphere
    3 Energy Field
    1 In the Eye of Chaos
    1 Journey to Nowhere
    4 Land Tax
    1 Luminarch Ascension
    1 Oblivion Ring
    4 Rest in Peace
    1 Web of Inertia

//Instant (10)
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Orim's Chant
    3 Swords to Plowshares

//Planeswalker (1)
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

//Sorcery (2)
    2 Supreme Verdict

//Land (18)
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    11 Plains

SB: 1 Back to Basics
    SB: 1 Circle of Protection: Red
    SB: 1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    SB: 1 Entreat the Angels
    SB: 2 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Mana Maze
    SB: 3 Meddling Mage
    SB: 1 Nevermore
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Powder Keg

Went 2-1 at my LGS this week, sadly only 6 showed up which is a bit unusual. Played against Czech Pile, BUG Delver and Eldrazi & Taxes

2-1 vs Czech Pile

Quick Notes: Rip was amazing, was able to grind a lot with scroll rack and Jace both games

1-2 vs BUG Delver

I kept a really sketchy 7 card hand with 1 land STP 3 RIP Mox and Energy Field didnt see a land :), game 2 i destroyed him, game 3 he had an answer for everything sadly

2-0 vs Eldrazi & Taxes

Was easy Game 1 he has no answers for Rip/Field or Rip/Inertie, Game 2 went similar he only saw one piece of hate

Updated List Below!

//Artifact (11)
    2 Helm of Obedience
    1 Isochron Scepter
    1 Meekstone
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Scroll Rack

//Enchantment (18)
    1 Back to Basics
    1 Detention Sphere
    3 Energy Field
    1 In the Eye of Chaos
    1 Journey to Nowhere
    4 Land Tax
    1 Luminarch Ascension
    1 Oblivion Ring
    4 Rest in Peace
    1 Web of Inertia

//Instant (10)
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Orim's Chant
    3 Swords to Plowshares

//Planeswalker (1)
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

//Sorcery (2)
    2 Supreme Verdict

//Land (18)
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    11 Plains

SB: 1 Back to Basics
    SB: 1 Circle of Protection: Red
    SB: 1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    SB: 1 Entreat the Angels
    SB: 2 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Mana Maze
    SB: 3 Meddling Mage
    SB: 1 Nevermore
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Powder Keg
    Wouldn't you be better to drop Isochron Scepter since it does the same thing as Energy Field (gives you more time and is sometimes a win on it's own)? If I was playing blue I certainly wouldn't play it since it's weak to decay, is potentially card disadvantage and field is more synergistic with the 4 RIP you're playing. That could also give you room for more detention spheres (I would play at least 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Qc View Post
    Wouldn't you be better to drop Isochron Scepter since it does the same thing as Energy Field (gives you more time and is sometimes a win on it's own)? If I was playing blue I certainly wouldn't play it since it's weak to decay, is potentially card disadvantage and field is more synergistic with the 4 RIP you're playing. That could also give you room for more detention spheres (I would play at least 2).
    So I've had a lot of free wins with scepter chant, or sometimes against decks that don't play decay I'll go for Scepter E tutor, and it can simply win me the game so as a 1 of its fine. Against Czech and bug decks I board it out. The spots I'm unhappy with or not impressed with so far are meekstone and journey to nowhere sometimes is lackluster. Overall in paper I'm 11-4 with my deck but I'm still tweaking it a lot.

Also some cards I want to test is adding 1 scrubland and adding a Chains of Mephistophles to the sideboard! and also testing Trade Routes now!

Did you consider Counterbalance in the SB?
    With both Jace and Scroll Rack you are able to somewhat reliable control what is on top.

Quote Originally Posted by hjalte View Post
    Did you consider Counterbalance in the SB?
    With both Jace and Scroll Rack you are able to somewhat reliable control what is on top.
    In Theory i think Counterbalance is sweet but is too slow and against some decks you don't care to much about countering spells you want to play a more proactive prison piece then one you need to set up with scroll rack for, if TOP was still legal then of course this deck would play it, but then it would just be a worse miracles deck haha

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I played chains in my black splash. It's a powerful card
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Thread Information