Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: [Deck] Hypergenesis

Re: [Deck] Hypergenesis

Came 9th place last 70-100 people tournament with 5-2, highest ranked 15 points so reaally close. (missed on a draw)
    The deck is silly, lost to goblins (did nothing) 2 games, then won easily against Tin-Fins. One game, the opponent was on the play, played a turn one Thoughtseize, I respond with 3 guides, Hyper, Griselbrand, then let Thoughtseize resolve. :)

My conclusion is that the deck is frustrating, the variance is too high. When it is good though, it crushes everything. I'm moving over to Burning Omni.

Quote Originally Posted by Emrakul503 View Post
    I want to believe!

Is there anyone else out there playing this?

Jan 2015
    Portland, OR

I tried it out briefly, and deduced the same. When it hits, it is literally unstoppable. But when it misses... Mother of god does it miss. That said, I would love to see more support for the deck. If I see more people showing it love, I would consider getting off the OmniSneak plan.

Discard is just too brutal right now.

Due to my limited experience with the deck, i'd like to hear from you what you find lacking when the deck "miss"; is it enabler, mana or monsters from hand?

Quote Originally Posted by FRM View Post
    Due to my limited experience with the deck, i'd like to hear from you what you find lacking when the deck "miss"; is it enabler, mana or monsters from hand?
    I haven't tried the deck out in a long while but I'll chime in.

It's lack of Library draw and/or manipulation. It used to be about mana too but it's fine now. When they printed Shardless Agent, the Hypergenesis deck can now just be 3 colors Blue, Green and Red. Before you had to use Demonic Dread or Ardent Plea and the manabase had to include rainbow lands which sucked.

But an issue that still exists is there is no Ponder or Brainstorm to help you out. And you can't use Dark Confidants or even Sylvan Library. Either you have the combo in your hand or you mull. I think you can hope to draw a mana source if that's the missing link but having no enablers or no Fatties is just asking for you to get a beating.

It's sad that the deck can't draw as much as a Modern Living end, nor is allowed to slow down with thirst for knowledge and similar.
    Anyway, I hear that a hypergenesys deck made day 2 in GP seatac and i'm dying to read the list (which of course is nowher to be found)
    Does that player read the source?

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Anyone still playing this?

I'm going to build the following list, but wanted to get some input on how to tailor the sideboard to my local meta.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=7959&d=245819&f=LE

My meta mainly conists of Lands, Delver variants, Shardless BUG, Infect, D&T, Reanimator and Omni-Tell.

I've been playing this deck on cockatrice for the past week and it's hilarious fun. My question is, how in God's name do you sideboard? Not WHAT to sideboard, HOW? As in what to take out to put sb cards in? Seems whenever I remove anything much consistency is lost. Most of the time I don't even sb for game 2 unless I know the opponent will bring in something that I straight up lose to like Ensnaring Bridge.

Although Hypergenesis as a deck is extremely dumb, I kind of have a soft spot for it due to my inner Timmy resurfacing every now and then. Anyway the recent Valki debacle has shown how a dumb a cascade deck with 10-12 forces could be. The Adventure printings have also given the deck access to board control that doesn't suck (read: cmc < 3) in the form of Brazen Borrower and Bonecrusher Giant.

Anyway, the list:

4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    3 Griselbrand
    4 Shardless Agent
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Force of Will
    2 Force of Negation
    2 Hypergenesis
    4 Misdirection
    2 Omniscience
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Violent Outburst
    1 Forest
    1 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Mountain
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Taiga
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Wooded Foothills

SB: 2 Arcane Artisan
    SB: 3 Ashen Rider
    SB: 2 Bonecrusher Giant
    SB: 2 Kozilek's Return
    SB: 3 Brazen Borrower
    SB: 3 Leyline of the Void

Yep that's 10 free forces + Chancellor backup. Gotta get those t1s. In SB games you can side part of the turbo-stuff for more grindy games (adventure and 2/2 beatdown like Garfield intended). Numbers are still up but the deck stays ridiculously dumb, have fun with it

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

This was a pet deck of mine for ages, and I didn't even play Show and Tell due to cost. I don't have Emrakuls or Griselbrands anymore, but those aren't hard to acquire. Without Brainstorm this can easily be built with rainbow lands, too. I haven't revisited it since the adventure cards, but damn, that's some pretty good tech.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

The Tibalt deck had a 1 card combo more like living end. Deck looks good but I am not sure you can afford the card disadvantage as much.

However, some newer printings this deck could benefit from:

Chancellor of the preordain aka Sphinx of Foresight would let you improve blue count and trim lands.

Reason // Believe cantrips or back up show & tell.

Mystical Dispute possibly better than force of negation.

Blue and green spell lands: increase spell density for omni.

Good calls.

Chancellor of the preordain aka Sphinx of Foresight would let you improve blue count and trim lands.
    I mean, why not? And it's sort of hardcastable and makes for a mediocre-but-better-than-a-2/2 drop on Hypergenesis, I'll be playtesting it.

Reason // Believe cantrips or back up show & tell.
    Nope, it's still CMC1 so screws up Hypergenesis.

Mystical Dispute possibly better than force of negation.
    You're probably right.

Blue and green spell lands: increase spell density for omni.
    Not being fetchable can be kind of a liability imo. You also want to preserve your life total a bit because of griselbrand activations. On the other hand it does give you stuff to do with your omnis. I'd say it needs testing. Does Eureka-Tell play any of those?

Also, can we make use of Keruga? That'd require siding out hypergenesis but then we can use the deck's secret tech aka pivot to shitty midrange gameplan (you still have show and tell to catch your opponent if they forget to respect your combo).

No aftermath cards have the cmc of the sum of both halves in your library.

This gives me an idea for a spell based hypergenesis deck with dream halls...

Sep 2011

Unfortunately Keruga, the Macrosage sees Hypergenesis as a nonland card that does not have CMC 3 or greater so it doesn't work. I tried that after Tibalt was rules-banned.

The other difference between this and TurboTibalt is that Hypergenesis needs other cards in hand while Tibalt is a 1-card combo. Hypergenesis' fundamental problem was needing at least 2 fatties in hand (otherwise it's a worse Show and Tell at the same CMC and worse deck design).
    Needing other threats in hand constrains resources and makes 12Force a lot worse. I would cut down to 7-8 Forces max, then try to use protection slots that overlap with the wincons - like Chancellor of the Annex. Chancellor of the Tangle may also be worth it as ESG 5-6, just to get more bodies in hand that also play other roles.

For higher threat density to make Hypergenesis worth it, I'd start here:

4 Chancellor of the Tangle
    4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Griselbrand

16 threats is still a bit low compared to what older Hypergenesis decks used to run.

Then you have room for
    8 spirit guides
    18 rainbow lands

9 cascade
    3 hypergenesis

6 Force

But this runs into the problem of not having a high enough blue count for Force, so maybe some of the fatties need to be Progenitus and maybe some spirit guides could be Sphinx of Foresight. Maindeck Brazen Borrowers are another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    No aftermath cards have the cmc of the sum of both halves in your library.
    Uh, you're right, my bad. Are there other aftermath cards that don't suck? If we play Reason I think it's probably kind of mutually exclusive with Sphinx? Is Chancellor of the Annex that needed? A lot of testing is needed to tune the right numbers.

Hypergenesis' fundamental problem was needing at least 2 fatties in hand (otherwise it's a worse Show and Tell at the same CMC and worse deck design).
    Sure but you seem to forget Hypergenesis is a lot more fun than S&T.

Chancellor of the Tangle may also be worth it as ESG 5-6, just to get more bodies in hand that also play other roles.
    For higher threat density to make Hypergenesis worth it, I'd start here:

4 Chancellor of the Tangle
    4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Griselbrand
    Chancellor of the Tangle? Why not Omniscience (+ maybe spell-lands)? Outside your starting hand it's a complete blank and not that impressive when dropped either. Chancellor of the Annex is at least a good hindrance and flies.

Sep 2011

Chancellor of the Tangle for more mana and T1s. Could replace spirit guides or lands, making room for other threats. With Violent Outburst or Shardless Agent, turn 1 is quite possible off 1 land + 2 spirit guide/chancellor effects.

What will Omniscience cast that isn't already played by Hypergenesis? I guess it's a 2-card combo with Griselbrand card draw or Emmy (take a turn instead of playing for free), but it risks being dead otherwise. There isn't much to abuse with it. OmniTell normally has cantrips to dig.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    What will Omniscience cast that isn't already played by Hypergenesis? I guess it's a 2-card combo with Griselbrand card draw or Emmy (take a turn instead of playing for free), but it risks being dead otherwise. There isn't much to abuse with it.
    Omni is blue for FoW and the idea was to make use of the land-spells like Reeplcheep said. I'm open to cutting it though, or better yet find a better fattie, ideally somewhat hardcastable, blue, can't be countered... that big snake thing from kaldheim? Sphinx of the Final Word?

Anyway it's clear recent printings have given the deck quite a lot of toys to play with and now it's a matter of whether we go full-on dumb t1s or adopt a more grindy approach with maindeck adventures, split cards, countermagic like mystical dispute and the like.

Sep 2011

Here's a 2019 brew, which is more recent than this deck has seen much competitive play:
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...genesis-legacy

Similar Core

9 cascade
    2 Hypergenesis

4 Force of Will

5 spirit guides

20 budget lands

4 Emrakul
    2 Worldspine Wurm
    1 Progenitus
    1 Maelstrom Wanderer
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Prime Speaker Zegana

4 Detention Sphere
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Arcane Artisan

The manabase seems very suboptimal, maybe budget constraints. Probably wants fewer lands, better lands, and at least 8 Guides/Tangles.

Detention Sphere is good tech to either answer hate pieces or what they drop off Hypergenesis, and it increases the blue count. Clique and Artisan are probably replaced by Brazen Borrower these days.

The fatties seem a bit random goodstuff after Emrakul and Channex, though they do help add to the blue count.

Here's a list of blue threats to consider:
    Progenitus - probably better than the other uncounterable hexproof guys
    Icebreaker Kraken - locks down opponents' permanents but only what is already tapped
    Niv-Mizzet Reborn - theoretically hardcastable in a pinch, digs for cascade spell and/or DSphere and/or SB cards
    Scourge of Fleets - bounce all dorks opponent played for free
    Sphinx of the Second Sun - untap & draw before passing
    Koma, Cosmos Serpent - get extra bodies vs Edicts or lock down permanents opponent got for free
    Azor, the Lawbringer - stall opponent's next turn before you untap and attack
    Nezahal, Primal Tide - hard to remove, good with Griselbrand to keep cards
    Maelstrom Wanderer - give Emrakul haste
    Last edited by FTW; 02-26-2021 at 04:13 AM.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

If going for the more threat density/diversity route with Hypergenesis, I always liked having maindeck Ashen Rider, Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur,Iona, Shield of Emeria, and Omniscience. They get your blue counts higher and let you be less 'all-in' on one Hypergenesis. A single card drawing threat (Griselbrand or Zegana) and Omniscience lets you really go ham. Many approach Hypergenesis as a way to increase copies of Show and Tell, but it's like getting a super-S&T. You don't have to settle for Griselbrand or Emrakul for 3 mana; you can have 2-4 fat creatures that provide incredible resilience to answers to those 2 particular threats.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information