Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Hypergenesis

Re: [Deck] Hypergenesis

I guess I can see your guys point about having the basic mountain. Being able to dodge wasteland is huge. Its nice to be able to fetch out 3 lands that are non wastelandable. Maybe I will just leave the mana base as is. It must have been designed that way for a reason. I just hate those hands with no blue sources but I guess that is what mulligans are for. I might try and stick with more scalding tarns though.

Enchanter
    Oct 2005
    Albany, NY

Any more thoughts on Intuition? It seems to be a pretty decent suggestion and I frequently wonder how often 2x Maelstrom Wanderer is relevant. Let me start the discussion by noting Intuition into Emrakul shuffles in any Hypergenesis that may be in your yard...
    Draw, play Island, GG?

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
    Tim: I... am an enchanter.
    Arthur: By what name are you known?
    Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
    Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

My cat's name is Tarmogoyf!
    Dec 2010
    Franklin, PA; Cleveland, OH

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeTim View Post
    Any more thoughts on Intuition? It seems to be a pretty decent suggestion and I frequently wonder how often 2x Maelstrom Wanderer is relevant. Let me start the discussion by noting Intuition into Emrakul shuffles in any Hypergenesis that may be in your yard...
    I think that it is a possibility that could be explored further. However, I have not been spending any time on this deck currently. I have been running pretty hot on locals with RUG Tempo. This month I have won twice and took second once. So in my mind there is no reason to change up the situation. But on to actual discussion, Intuition can allow you to cherry pick the piece of the combo you need, or another fatty to make your position more powerful, it can find permission to force the combo through, or even, if necessary, can allow you to dump some Emrakuls to shuffle your graveyard back into your deck. I think the loosing haste might be worth adding resilience and consistency. That is my opinion, although I have done no testing on the topic.

Oct 2011
    Berlin, Germany

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...gpgnt12/day2#5

That list made 14th at GP Ghent the past weekend. I am really starting to love the deck. :-)

Enchanter
    Oct 2005
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Sturtzilla View Post
    That is my opinion, although I have done no testing on the topic.
    I haven't either, currently acquiring my set of Show and Tell, which seems might be harder after this past weekend. I turn to the experienced pilots of this deck to shed light on the practicality of Maelstrom Wanderer. And perhaps the changes that made up the top 16 build from Ghent...
    Draw, play Island, GG?

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
    Tim: I... am an enchanter.
    Arthur: By what name are you known?
    Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
    Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

what about Chancellor of the Tangle or Chancellor of the annex? The first as extra spirit guides more than actual fat. The second as a way to "interact" against discard/counters....The bodies are not something that will kill your opponent in a swing, but they provide value and hopefully you will drop something else anyway.

Dec 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    what about Chancellor of the Tangle or Chancellor of the annex? The first as extra spirit guides more than actual fat. The second as a way to "interact" against discard/counters....The bodies are not something that will kill your opponent in a swing, but they provide value and hopefully you will drop something else anyway.
    I don't really see either of these creatures making too much of an impact on what the deck is already trying to do. Chancellor of the Tangle only really helps if we are going to go off on turn one. The deck can already do this. Moreover, going off turn one seems a little greedy to me. We would be sacrificing late game power for a bit of speed. I would rather have the late game. Chancellor of the Annex might be worth messing around with. It slows down your opponent by essentially time walking them on turn one, then when in play, mana tithes them for every spell they play. It might be worth a shot. There are a few flex slots in the deck. So if your meta is very combo heavy Chancellor of the Annex might be a good way to go.

The chancellors are more cute than good... I realized I want something more powerful as a Show and tell target.

I've been thinking about warstome surge and permanent which gives haste. I don't really like them for beeing "dead draws" and not really makes you win on the spot. Michael Jacob played Omniscience in his list and this gives psedouhaste and a likely win if you have griselbrand or emrakul in hand. It's also great with the 8 free counters... Plus, against some decks you can draw 14 cards and play a bunch of spirit guides for extra beats:)

Im going to try this tomorrow;

CREATURES (24)
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Shardless Agent
    4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Progenitus
    4 Griselbrand
    ENCHANTMENTS (2)
    2 Omniscience
    SORCERIES (6)
    4 Show and Tell
    2 Hypergenesis
    INSTANTS (12)
    4 Violent Outburst
    4 Force of Will
    4 Misdirection
    LANDS (16)
    1 Forest
    1 Island
    1 Mountain
    1 Taiga
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Scalding Tarn
    SIDEBOARD
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Angel of Despair
    4 Dismember

I like my maindeckcreatures "immune" to swords to plowshares and I don't think we need something like terastodon/angel of despair/iona/elesh-norn in main. This deck wants to be proactive and counter the few relevant spells your opponent might have rather than interact with the creatures above.

Im thinking about the invasion sac-lands. They add some punch for the t2-kill but I think a good manabase is more valuable.

Have any of you tried Worldspine Wurm here?
    I realise it doesn't help you use the legend rule to kill your opponents' creatures, but you can cast more than one Worldspine.

Dec 2010

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Have any of you tried Worldspine Wurm here?
    I could see it in the decks flex slots. Although I am not sure how another fatty versus a hasted team really matches up. I am guessing that basically give you opponent 1-2 extra turns by playing the Wurm over a Haste card. Whether that matters probably depends on the strength of your hand. 15/15 with trample is tempting but do remember if he gets StPed or Pathed you don't get much out of it. Then again that can be said about some of the bros that give your team Haste. So I think it is probably a meta call. It does have the potential to just be a blow out.

Sep 2012
    orange county, ny

How viable is this deck in the current metagame? I find it to be really interesting yet blue decks and target discard seem to be quite a pain. Maverick seemed about 50/50 esper stone blade seemed to be the worst match up. Just wondering if anyone is currently playing this deck.

Quote Originally Posted by teonsw View Post
    How viable is this deck in the current metagame? I find it to be really interesting yet blue decks and target discard seem to be quite a pain. Maverick seemed about 50/50 esper stone blade seemed to be the worst match up. Just wondering if anyone is currently playing this deck.
    I am considering playing this for the upcomming SCG open in Milwaukee and honestly it doesn't seem that bad. Blue is lower then usual and Jund is up... both of which make this deck seem solid... question is this or Belcher...

I like this over belcher because you need less to go off. Thoughts?

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by nodahero View Post
    question is this or Belcher...
    Why are you even playing magic ?
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Dec 2010

I like this over belcher because you need less to go off. Thoughts?
    I think the question comes down to whether or not you want to play interactive magic. This deck typically uses its counter magic (Force of Will and Misdirection) to protect the combo, namely ensuring that Hypergenesis or Show and Tell resolve in an offensive fashion. Typically this will win you the game. However these pieces of protection also allow you to play more reactively to keep an opponent from doing something threatening.

On the other end of the spectrum, you could play Belcher, and just jam your combo and hope your opponent doesn't have counter magic or answers. If you are really good, you might even be able to sculpt hands where you can play through some or all of an opponent's counter magic or other interaction. I have seen many players run Belcher and the later option happens very rarely.

My opinion, given the two above options, would be to run Hypergenesis. It is more resilient to a single counter spell, requires fewer pieces to combo (making it more resilient to certain discard effects, and it can win just as quickly (Hypergenesis is probably a turn or two slower on average). This is a question of playstlyes. I prefer to have to option to counter spells that disrupt my game plan. Hypergenesis lets you do this, while Belcher does not. I hope that helped.

I have a ton of expierence playing nearly every iteration of Storm but I havn't played legacy in so long that I am betting I am super rusty and am looking for a more straight forward combo deck. I can play this, belcher, or Omniscience.

I think this or omniscience is prolly more my style as I do not like going in blind hence why I play storm.

Thoughts on that logic. Also any preference or ideas about this versus omniscience?

Thanks

Dec 2010

That is probably a personal choice or play style call. This deck is probably faster most of the time but it doesn't have the secondary means to win in Omniscience into Petals of Insight into a wished Storm Card.

Another question if you would: It occurs to me that this deck and Sneak and Show have very similar game plans i.e. cheat stuff in fast and win... My question is--- beyond that what am I missing? I don't think the haste/one shot is better then casting genesis and missing one attack to not lose the creature; particularly when it seems to me Genesis is typically a faster combo off.

To some degree I thought it was protection/redundancy but from a secondary review that seems inaccurate.

Dec 2010

Another question if you would: It occurs to me that this deck and Sneak and Show have very similar game plans i.e. cheat stuff in fast and win... My question is--- beyond that what am I missing? I don't think the haste/one shot is better then casting genesis and missing one attack to not lose the creature; particularly when it seems to me Genesis is typically a faster combo off.

To some degree I thought it was protection/redundancy but from a secondary review that seems inaccurate.
    Your question is kind of difficult to field as there are many flavors of Sneak and Show. There are creature oriented Sneak and Show decks, Omnishow, and various hybrids of the two. Counter packages and wishboards also vary based upon which specific deck you are considering. Sneak and Show decks can Show and Tell the fatty into play early and keep it around for multiple turns. Alternatively, they can Show and Tell Omniscience into play and kill you by casting and recasting Petals of Insight until they find a Storm card or use a tutor to get one from their deck or sideboard. Hypergenesis should typically be faster; however, you are all in on the creature plan. Omnishow gives you some more avenues as far as win conditions but gives the deck a less potent focus and can slow it down.

Sep 2012
    orange county, ny

I am putting this deck together for a tournament this weekend. Im running the Todd / Katilin list with one Akromas Memorial and one Maelstrom Wanderer. Ill post how i do on sunday.

Dec 2010

Sounds great! I am excited to hear how it goes for you!

Thread Information