Thread: Squandered Resources: Super Budget Super Series 2

Squandered Resources: Super Budget Super Series 2

Part two of this series of 3 articles is up! Once again I go over 5 budget legacy decks that cost less than $100, describing their strategies and key interactions within. Comments and criticisms are appreciated. You can find the article at the link below.

Thoughts?

http://mtgsalvation.com/1368-squande...-series-2.html

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Re: Squandered Resources: Super Budget Super Series 2

Quote Originally Posted by -Spooky- View Post
    Thoughts?
    Nice read.

Not sure on Lead the Stampede over Sylvan Messenger in the Elf deck though. Maybe it is the extra $5 for a playset? They just seem a better fit to me. I do like the Bramblewood Paragon interaction; that was not one I had picked up on. Of course there are so many good Elves it is difficult to fit them all in sometimes.

It was also nice to see the Urza-Tron deck since I have been wondering what to do with my Antiquities cards.

I am also guessing that cost is the issue with Mono-White Control have Day of Judgement and not the far superior Wrath of God?
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    Nice read.

Not sure on Lead the Stampede over Sylvan Messenger in the Elf deck though. Maybe it is the extra $5 for a playset? They just seem a better fit to me. I do like the Bramblewood Paragon interaction; that was not one I had picked up on. Of course there are so many good Elves it is difficult to fit them all in sometimes.

It was also nice to see the Urza-Tron deck since I have been wondering what to do with my Antiquities cards.

I am also guessing that cost is the issue with Mono-White Control have Day of Judgement and not the far superior Wrath of God?
    I am glad you liked the article.

The elf deck still has some room before it hits the $100 mark so if you wanted to add in the messengers feel free. My thoughts on it were the difference in mana cost, which can mean everything.

The issue with mono white and wrath of god was, yes, price. Really though, the only card played in legacy with regeneration is Thrun.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

The elf deck still has some room before it hits the $100 mark so if you wanted to add in the messengers feel free. My thoughts on it were the difference in mana cost, which can mean everything.
    The cheaper mana-cost and digging an extra card are nice however it can get hit by more counters and is not a threat itself. Since I already own the Messangers I shall stick with those but thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter.

The issue with mono white and wrath of god was, yes, price. Really though, the only card played in legacy with regeneration is Thrun.
    At the top tier that is true but with a more budget local group you get a few more, especially with Infest (blight mamba) being popular. Island Sanctuary/Dawn Charm does a good job of dealing with them though and Wrath is a very easy swap for someone to make in the deck.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

I like the look of the monowhite deck. Seems quite well positioned for the current meta?

Quote Originally Posted by Firstborn View Post
    I like the look of the monowhite deck. Seems quite well positioned for the current meta?
    Glad you like it.
    All the removal is great against all the creature decks in the format and Humility just hoses sneaky show. Not to mention the scepter-silence combo. It's actually pretty nice in this meta.

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

I was wondering why you use Vapor Snag instead of Unsummon in your first Aura Combo Deck. If i dont miss on anything, Unsummon should be better.

Quote Originally Posted by JanoschEausH View Post
    I was wondering why you use Vapor Snag instead of Unsummon in your first Aura Combo Deck. If i dont miss on anything, Unsummon should be better.
    vapor snag gives the life loss. thats about it as far as why i chose it.

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

vapor snag gives the life loss. thats about it as far as why i chose it.
    i just thought unsummon would be better, since you are using it alot on your own creatures to save them.

Quote Originally Posted by JanoschEausH View Post
    i just thought unsummon would be better, since you are using it alot on your own creatures to save them.
    I wouldn't say you do that "a lot", but its certainly a reason to consider unsummon. I think it just depends on what you think you will have to be doing more often.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Really though, the only card played in legacy with regeneration is Thrun.
    This is not so. I maindeck Odious Trow.

Also, if you want to write a budget series, I'd suggest having a section dedicated to porting cards over from Standard or Modern, since thats where most of these players are coming from anyway.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    This is not so. I maindeck Odious Trow.

Also, if you want to write a budget series, I'd suggest having a section dedicated to porting cards over from Standard or Modern, since thats where most of these players are coming from anyway.
    You are one in a million though. My guess is that you are playing spanish inquisition? even if you are not, Odious Trow is something that is played only in fringe strategies that you can't really plan a deck around.

As for the standard and modern cards section idea, I'll think about it I suppose. It seems to me like it would be an article itself more so than a section in every article I write.

Thread Information