Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Challenge Week #1 Black Vise

Re: Challenge Week #1 Black Vise

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    And i'd be pleased to play against that.
    That bad?
    "If magic is your crutch, cast it aside and learn to walk without it." —Teferi

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    That bad?
    As i said extensively before, i think Stasis is the only shell where Vise could be good. Stasis isn't a bad deck, but you can't expect to actually win 2 games within 50 minute, especially after your opponent realize you're playing stasis and goes for the draw.

Also stasis play pretty badly against SnT and reanimator decks, as they fundamentally don't need an untap phase.

Mar 2007
    Austria

Id say between Spell Pierce, Force and Daze Stasis with Root Maze and Crop rotation-> Forsaken city is not THAT bad, as Black Vise would actually give it a (more or less) free clock.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

4 Brainstorm
    2 Crop Rotation
    3 Muddle the Mixture
    3 Daze
    2 Thwart
    4 Force of Will
    2 Chain of Vapor
    4 Ensnare
    3 Root Maze
    4 Stasis
    4 Black Vise
    3 Garruk Wildspeaker

4 Flooded Grove
    3 Forsaken City
    8 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Tropical Island
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

Best list i came up with in the other topic probably.

EDIT: Ebony Owl Netsuke is actually a viable alternative to vise in a stasis deck. Back when MM was legal, Netsuke was actually the better card since it dodged the most played counter of the format.

Mar 2007
    Austria

in a stasis/blackvise build, remand could be interesting
    also devastation tide sounds like an interesting option to play at opponent end of turn to bounce stasis and to fill opponent hand

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Crop Rotation
    3 Muddle the Mixture
    3 Daze
    2 Thwart
    4 Force of Will
    2 Chain of Vapor
    4 Ensnare
    3 Root Maze
    4 Stasis
    4 Black Vise
    3 Garruk Wildspeaker

4 Flooded Grove
    3 Forsaken City
    8 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Tropical Island
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

Best list i came up with in the other topic probably.

EDIT: Ebony Owl Netsuke is actually a viable alternative to vise in a stasis deck. Back when MM was legal, Netsuke was actually the better card since it dodged the most played counter of the format.
    iirc the last time this came up I got Godzilla to test against a Stasis list with Vise somehow, we concluded that the deck was miserable and shouldn't be allowed to exist, and then MM was spoiled and we were all "lulz safe to unban now."

But yeah no, Stasis is a miserable deck. Make Mike T happy though.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Mar 2007
    Austria

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondancerbb View Post
    Most Likely Suspects for potential unbannings

Frantic Search
    Gush
    Gush, and Frantic Search potentially unbanned?

While I'm ok with more or less all the other cards, except probably Hermit Druid which is a bit unsafe to ban, I'd consider healthier for the format even the unban of Mana Drain rather than the unban of Frantic Search and/or Gush.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Mar 2007
    Austria

I'd like to see Tolarian Academy unbanned.
    I tested it a bit, and it isn't much more broken than Land Tax, Grim Monolith or Island.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Yeah remove that Gush, it does not power up any new deck, it doesn't have interesting deckbuilding applications (every deck can play it, it benefit every deck) and neither an interesting effect on the format (MM for example COULD have pushed decks with more varied CmC costs, while it actually didn't, but whatever). Add Academy in it, a deckbuilder wet dream.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Aernil View Post
    I tested it a bit, and it isn't much more broken than Land Tax, Grim Monolith or Island.
    ? Island is pretty broken yo. Are u arguing that someway Island is actually a fair card?

Mar 2007
    Austria

It also does not much on its own.
    But it is immune to Wasteland!

Seriously, the only existing decks I can think of that would generate absurd amounts of mana from Academy is Affinity (which can't do anything at all with that kind of mana) and MUD (which doesn't produce those amounts fast enough).
    And I really doubt that manaartifacts+academy+mind over matter + draw X is that good.

@ Vise:
    It seems best in any kind of Prison deck, as any other deck can empty their hand pretty fast.
    Played on turn 1 its not really that much worse than a goblin guide or Delver (though not as easy to remove).

@Mindtwist
    Except for NicFit and maybe DemonStompy I can't imagine ANY deck playing that at all.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

It also does not much on its own.
    But it is immune to Wasteland!

Seriously, the only existing decks I can think of that would generate absurd amounts of mana from Academy is Affinity (which can't do anything at all with that kind of mana) and MUD (which doesn't produce those amounts fast enough).
    And I really doubt that manaartifacts+academy+mind over matter + draw X is that good.

@ Vise:
    It seems best in any kind of Prison deck, as any other deck can empty their hand pretty fast.
    Played on turn 1 its not really that much worse than a goblin guide or Delver (though not as easy to remove).
    Problem is that past T1 is way, way worse than delver or Guide. And it's worse on the draw too.

EDIT: worse against mulligan too

Mar 2007
    Austria

Well, I am all for trimming the list a bit.
    They really should unban Vise and Library of Alexandria, reprint both of them and see what happens^^

May 2011
    Louisiana

I speculate that Island might be banned for the next B/R announcement.

Removed Gush, Since its a pretty good consensus that it is too good just by reading the card. Added Academy which i missed in my initial post. The reason i started a new thread about this is because its to focus on one card not any card on the banned list.

The thread was definitely inspired by the other thread, I am interested to see how well it does do in tempo based decks like u/r delver, or rug delver. Some game reports vs current meta would be awesome i hopefully will have some time to play some games with a vise deck.

Just to reiterate we are looking to see what cards can come off the ban list in the current environment one at a time So the list posted is just the potential not the take them all off at once or even multiple off at once.

imo, affinity is not really a good shell for academy. Sure the land will provide mana, but it is pretty useless with the exception of stroke of genius which sounds as a terrible card in an aggro deck (Consecrated Sphinx seems better, as much as a lot of high cmc u cards).

If I had to think about academy.dec, I'd go in the bridgewalker stax direction or MUD. Affinity seems just to work well without it and doesnt huge amount of mana.

Mar 2007
    Austria

imo, affinity is not really a good shell for academy. Sure the land will provide mana, but it is pretty useless with the exception of stroke of genius which sounds as a terrible card in an aggro deck (Consecrated Sphinx seems better, as much as a lot of high cmc u cards).

If I had to think about academy.dec, I'd go in the bridgewalker stax direction or MUD. Affinity seems just to work well without it and doesnt huge amount of mana.
    Exactly what I was saying.
    Though MUD cant really proft from Academy THAT much.
    It lacks the low costing artifacts to power an early big academy.
    (Though you could get some really nice plays like Mox Diamond, Mox Opal, Top, Academy, 3Sphere)

Thread Information