Page 172 of 174 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174 LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,440 of 3476

Thread: [Deck] TinFins 3: Return of the Onion Burst

Re: [Deck] TinFins 3: Return of the Onion Burst

In a Burning Wish list like that with LED, I kind of like 2x Gamble better main deck than the 2x Faithless Lootings. A lot of hands are just missing an LED or a Grisel in the yard to be explosive. And I think a 2nd Unburial Rites fits better than Reanimate. Reanimate is still worth the wish-slot as the cheapest reanimation to cast.

Grave Titan is definitely worth a slot. Good to have a non Karakas-able creature in the main with the amount of DnT around again, and like you said hard casting him isn't that hard.

I used to like having 1 or 2 Simian Spirit Guide as extra fast/red mana, have you tried any? Could Past in Flames be worth that wish-slot over Gamble?
    Loam/Ice Station Zebra/Depths/Jund/GB Pox

Quote Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
    In a Burning Wish list like that with LED, I kind of like 2x Gamble better main deck than the 2x Faithless Lootings. A lot of hands are just missing an LED or a Grisel in the yard to be explosive. And I think a 2nd Unburial Rites fits better than Reanimate. Reanimate is still worth the wish-slot as the cheapest reanimation to cast.

Grave Titan is definitely worth a slot. Good to have a non Karakas-able creature in the main with the amount of DnT around again, and like you said hard casting him isn't that hard.

I used to like having 1 or 2 Simian Spirit Guide as extra fast/red mana, have you tried any? Could Past in Flames be worth that wish-slot over Gamble?
    I've played Burning Wish Fins a lot in the past until I settled on Ice Station Zebra, and always loved the idea of Gamble. I've played as many as four and they are just seldom as good as I want them to be. Maybe worth another look though. I think at least one Looting should be in there even as a rare Entomb target in the mid to late game when you're out of gas.

I like that Reanimate costs 1. It opens up more lines when mana is short and doesn't need LED to be a functional draw. I think Reanimate>Corpse Dance>Second Unburial. The first is huge but in general Unburial is a crappy draw but unreal valuable Entomb target in my experience. I will note that if you are running Gambles, I do like upping the Unburial count, since LED+Griselbrand or LED+Unburial is awesome with Gamble. Griselbrand + Unburial + Gamble is also sweet...if you're not unlucky!

PIF in the board could be interesting. I think I'll try it for awhile. Simian Spirit Guide is another card I should try

Quote Originally Posted by Jblinder View Post
    I've played Burning Wish Fins a lot in the past until I settled on Ice Station Zebra, and always loved the idea of Gamble. I've played as many as four and they are just seldom as good as I want them to be. Maybe worth another look though. I think at least one Looting should be in there even as a rare Entomb target in the mid to late game when you're out of gas.

I like that Reanimate costs 1. It opens up more lines when mana is short and doesn't need LED to be a functional draw. I think Reanimate>Corpse Dance>Second Unburial. The first is huge but in general Unburial is a crappy draw but unreal valuable Entomb target in my experience. I will note that if you are running Gambles, I do like upping the Unburial count, since LED+Griselbrand or LED+Unburial is awesome with Gamble. Griselbrand + Unburial + Gamble is also sweet...if you're not unlucky!

PIF in the board could be interesting. I think I'll try it for awhile. Simian Spirit Guide is another card I should try
    Yeah that's fair re: Gamble and Looting. Gamble has more built in variance in it's effectiveness, where Looting is more consistent but a bit less powerful. I think I will test 2 Gamble 2 Unburial Rites for now, but that could easily change. I don't mind praying to the Gamble gods for their blessing now and then.

Do you miss the Lab maniac as a win con at all? Are any silver bullet reanimation targets like Iona or Elesh Norn worth any sideboard slots? Shallow Grave makes them a little too unreliable to stick around I guess.
    Loam/Ice Station Zebra/Depths/Jund/GB Pox

Quote Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
    Yeah that's fair re: Gamble and Looting. Gamble has more built in variance in it's effectiveness, where Looting is more consistent but a bit less powerful. I think I will test 2 Gamble 2 Unburial Rites for now, but that could easily change. I don't mind praying to the Gamble gods for their blessing now and then.

Do you miss the Lab maniac as a win con at all? Are any silver bullet reanimation targets like Iona or Elesh Norn worth any sideboard slots? Shallow Grave makes them a little too unreliable to stick around I guess.
    Don’t miss the labman strategically. Burning wish for tendrils is very reliable and the only wincon you need once you stick a griselbrand.

I do miss winning by drawing the whole deck with a labman in play; it just doesn’t make sense to run him here.

Report: Burning Tin Fins (3-0-1) at Local Weekly Legacy - 7/26/18

==PREFACE==

A member of the cult of Griselbrand, I spent the first couple post-ban weeks giving UB Reanimator another spin. After some not awful but definitely lackluster results, I sat down to figure out how to replace the Gitaxian Probes in my Burning Tin Fins list.

This week I managed to win the first three matches and ID the last so we could all go the bar early. Living the dream!
    Emerged victorious against Moon Stompy, Eldrazi Stompy, and D&T. ID against Grixis Delver - we almost played for fun, but decided to bar instead.
    General reflections and thoughts on specific cards at the bottom.

==DECKLIST==

4 Griselbrand
    1 Children of Korlis
    1 Grave Titan

4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Chrome Mox

3 Thoughtseize
    3 Unmask
    1 Cabal Therapy
    3 Faithless Looting
    4 Burning Wish
    1 Reanimate
    3 Exhume
    1 Unburial Rites

4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave
    4 Dark Ritual

2 Swamp
    2 Badlands
    1 Blood Crypt (Yes, this should be a Badlands. Gemstone Mine might also have merit here though.)
    1 Scrubland
    1 Bayou
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Polluted Delta

Sideboard:
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Reanimate
    1 Exhume
    1 Buried Alive
    1 Stronghold Gambit
    1 Reverent Silence
    1 By Force
    1 Duress
    2 Massacre
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Silent Gravestone
    1 Serenity

==MATCHES==
    Quick note on the parens before each game: W or L for win or loss, P or D for play or draw.

=R1: Moon Stompy (2-1)=

G1: (W/P) I am about 90% certain my opponent is playing Moon Stompy this week so I keep an extremely slow but very safe hand consisting of 3 land (1 Swamp), 2 Burning Wish, and some other things I didn't note. I don't have anything to do on T1, and just play one of the non-swamps. Opp plays right into my plans with a T1 Chalice for 1. I drop a Swamp, wish for Buried Alive, and pass. Opp does nothing relevant (Blood Moons?) for a couple turns while I Buried Alive for Griselbrand, Children, Griselbrand, and topdeck an Exhume to cast on T4. Opp scoops.

SB: -1 Faithless Looting, -1 Griselbrand (possibly a mistake, but wound up not being an issue)
    +1 Serenity, +1 Ancient Grudge
    I plan to lean more heavily on Burning Wish here as I know my opponent mulls heavily to Leylines (of the Void) in addition to having Chalices/Bridges. Looting feels really bad vs Leyline and is not great for some Wish lines, so I think cutting one is the right move. Serenity and Grudge are great here for obvious reasons.

G2: (L-D) I keep a hand that threatens to make a lot of goblins on T2 if I find an additonal non-LED mana source. Opp opens up with T0 Leyline of the Void, followed by T1 Chalice on 1. I play a land and pass while opp follows up with T2 Chalice on 2. The out here is LED + Griselbrand + Unburial Rites, but I only have an LED in hand and just scoop 'em up after my draw step.

G3: (W-P) I keep 3 fetches, Griselbrand, Unmask, Exhume, Entomb. Opp has T0 Leyline, so I just play lands and pass while opp drops a Magus of the Moon (I fetch for a Swamp) and starts swinging. I draw into Burning Wish. The line is high risk, high reward: Unmask opp, take his Rabblemaster, Wish for Stronghold Gambit. Opp draws and passes with a card in hand. I go for the Gambit and he reveals... Blood Moon! Crisis averted, but I'm at 14 and can only draw 7 cards and have to pass. Opp immediately finds an Ensnaring Bridge to prevent the Griselsmacks. We play draw-go for a while. Opp draws more Bridges and Moons (and some lands) but fortunately for me no Chalices or 3-balls. Opp is at 18 from an Ancient Tomb ding, and I eventually assemble 6 lands in play and a hand of 2 Dark Ritual, 2 LED, Burning Wish, Unmask, Entomb, Shallow Grave. I cast *everything* and Wish for an exactly-lethal Tendrils kill.

G3 is exactly why I like the Burning Wish variant for my local meta: I've lost far too many games to our high proportion of Chalice/Bridge decks. Access to Tendrils of Agony is key here.

=R2: Eldrazi Stompy (2-1)=

G1: (L/D) I have some rough mulligans and keep an-okay-but-not-great 5. After a few turns I'm 1 mana shy of going off in some fashion and die to typical Eldrazi shenanigans before I can draw out of it.

SB: -1 Faithless Looting, -1 Reanimate
    +1 Serentiy, +1 Ancient Grudge
    This is basically the same plan as Moon Stompy: lean on Burning Wish to help get around Leyline and Chalice, bring in Serenity to try for the slam dunk.

G2: (W/P) T1 Unmask reveals that opp kept 5 Lands, Chalice, Endless One, and I take Chalice for obvious reasons. He deploys the Endless One while I manage to set things up and Burning Wish + LED (black) for my sideboard Exhume. Raise Griselbrand with B floating, activate the Griselgrip, and let him devour the Children (repeatedly) until I can Wish for lethal Tendrils.

G3: (W/D) I keep a fairly resilient 7-card hand with a Swamp, a few Lotus Petals, and the sideboard Serenity(!). Opp has T0 Leyline and T1 (on the play) Thorn of Amethyst. I am forced to spend my T1 and T2 paying for Lotus Petals while opp has T2 Endless One for 2 and T3 Sorcerous Spyglass naming Griselbrand. On my T3, I sac the Petals to cast Serenity and ship it back. After Serenity gloriously destroys all of the hate on T4, I Ritual into Entomb + Shallow Grave, slap opp with Griselbrand, do the Tin Fins thing and eventually storm into the Tendrils Kill.

The lesson here is that sometimes Serenity is fucking bananas. And apparently there IS some small number of games where the Eldrazi player doesn't draw TKS.

=R3: D&T=

G1: (W/D) This is the first time I've seen this opponent at these weekly events but I know he's on D&T from observing after prior rounds. Opp does not know I am on Tin Fins and T2 taps out to cast Jitte. I EOT Entomb and untap with a Shallow Grave, swing and eventually land the Tendrils.

SB: -1 Faithless Looting -1 Unmask
    +1 Massacre +1 Serenity
    Finding things to board out was tough here but eventually I settled on an Unmask and Faithless Looting to avoid card disadvantage in case of weird Wish lines.

G2: (W/D) I keep a hand with 3 reanimation spells, Unmask, Entomb, Chrome Mox, land. I believe opp plays Mom on T1. On my T1 I (luckily) draw Massacre then Unmask him taking a RIP, and drop Chrome Mox exiling an extra exhume. Opp's inexperience with Legacy shows here - he topdecks Containment Priest, but plays it on his main phase and passes. EOT Entomb -> untap -> Massacre -> Shallow Grave -> swing -> snackrifice Children until it's Tendrils time.

Sideboard for today really shone again here - having a Massacre to board in was clutch with 3 D&T players in the room.

=Bonus: between-round games with another D&T player)=
    Opp has the play in G1 and leads with Plains and either Mom or Vial. I kill him on Turn 1 with ye olde Ritual -> Entomb -> Shallow Grave -> ???????? -> Tendrils

Post-board in G2 I also have a T1 kill while he stares sadly at the RIP in his hand.
    Our second pre-board game is cut short by the next round's pairings, but I reveal a hand that makes 10 goblins on T2 or maybe 3 and hopes it's good enough. It probably was in this instance.

=R4: Grixis Delver (ID)=

We decide to ID and nearly play the match for fun, but decide to head to the bar early with some of the other legacy players instead.
    Ultimately though, I think this counts as a victory. 4-0, fuck yeah!

If I had to sideboard here, I'd likely bring in Silent Gravestone and possibly my own Surgical depending on how many I think my opponent has. None of the other options make much sense here.

==General Reflections and Card Choices==

The deck felt great and ran pretty smoothly with fairly few mulligans. My general rule for mulliganing here is that a hand without a Griselbrand, Entomb or some obvious alternative plan is not worth keeping. I can afford to try to draw into mana sometimes with 23 (14 Lands, 4 Petal, Chrome Mox, 4 Dark Rit) available mana sources, discounting LEDs which require the right conditions.

Mainboard Grave Titan never came up but is a concession to the fact that sometimes this deck can't find Griselbrand or Entomb and needs something else that doesn't suck with Shallow Grave. Titan at least hits for 6 and leaves behind 8 power to try and mop things up. Not the greatest, but probably good enough as a T1 play. It's also non-legendary and totally fine with one of the other 5 reanimation spells.

I replaced Gitaxian Probes with the Grave Titan, Chrome Mox, and extra discard. I like having the single Cabal Therapy since there are edge cases where it can be Entombed for and/or used to build storm count. The extra discard also helps make up for the loss of free information from the Probe ban.

Shaving down to 3 Faithless Lootings felt right. The Burning Wish lines rely on having a critical mass of other fuel, so it's really only good if there's already a creature or Rites to discard. It often felt correct to delay casting them until at least one acceptable discard was guaranteed, and I boarded one out without missing it in every round.

I like having access to a single Reanimate mainboard since it opens up the traditional reanimator T1 Land -> Petal -> Entomb -> Reanimate line, can play around Daze more easily, and is occasionally cute (and sometimes even good) when used to Unmask and Reanimate the opponent's creatures.

The full 4 Burning Wish help to get out of weird situations in G1 and are key for playing around hate in G2/G3. Also great when constantly fighting Chalice on 1. Do not underestimate the power of T1/T2 lines that wish for Empty the Warrens for 8+ Goblins. If the opponent has sideboarded for Reanimator, there's a good chance they're not ready to fight the Goblin army.

I was *very* happy with my sideboard for this event. Drawing the few cards I sideboarded in were super clutch in Rounds 2 and 3 - Serenity and Massacre were both monstrous blowouts. Having access to Ancient Grudge and especially Serenity felt correct with the amount of stompy in the local meta. 2nd Massacre to board in was a great call with 3 D&T players showing up.

I think the sideboard Duress should actually be the 4th Thoughtseize or a Cullective Brutality so that it can rip Griselbrand out of hand if it has to.

I played Captain Morgan’s list to a 2-1 finish at a local event. The only changes I made were an additional badlands although the brutality sb they suggest would have won me a game I went too slowly with buried alive.

G1(draw-win)
    I’m playing against Big Eldrazi. He leads on ancient tomb, chalice for one. I play a land and pass, hoping to avoid TKS. He plays a grim monolith, pass. I’m able to unmask myself the following turn, exhume Gris and storm off.

G2(draw-loss)
    He opens with leyline x2. My hand includes scrubland, serenity and petal. I play serenity turn one. He stumbles on mana and passes back, giving me a window. I entomb Gris and hope to rip another land for the shallow grave in my hand. Don’t find it and he resolved trinisphere followed by smasher and tks which quickly win the game.

G3(play-win)
    I keep a turn two 7 with burning wish. He opens with leyline, I use a petal to wish for reverent silence. The next turn I cash in silence after my opponent has no plays. Then I unmask myself and shallow grave, ultimately getting children and tendrils for 46 (could have styled more probably).

In these games I generally cut lootingx1, Grisx1 for grudge and serenity.

Match 2: infect
    G1(play-win)
    He keeps a hand heavy on interaction and light on speed. I manage to thoughtseize away a FoW, leaving a pierce. We draw for a few turns and then I unmask him after entomb has resolved. Seeing it’s clear, I shallow grave and tendrils him out.

G2(draw-win)
    My hand is a little slow but has ancient grudge and an entomb. He plays an elf and chips me for one. I have a few dark rituals and use that + petal to wish for empty the warrens for 10 and pass. Opponent declines to swing and plays inkmoth. I swing in with 8 and pass back, keeping grudge up. He goes all in on inkmoth and I grudge in response to berserk, he has daze but I can pay with my bayou, or flash it back. Goblins get there.

In: grudge, duress, cut lootingx1, unmask. Being able to wish for unmask was good to me this tournament but I think it’s play/draw dependent.

Match 3: grixis
    G1(draw-win)
    He is on an aggro/removal heavy version with thoughtscour and extra fish. Turn one he ponders. I lead with thoughtseize, seeing pierce, FoW. He plays a delver, pass. I’m able to play around pierce after he lets entomb resolve by playing out LED then shallow grave. He loses to tendrils.

G2(draw-loss)
    He opens with thoughtseize and gets going with a delver. I have LED in play and a hand of Gris, shallow gravex2, burning wish, unmask. I brick on a black card, drawing chrome mox. He plays angler. I draw the black card and unmask, taking FoW, leaving daze and pierce. He swings in and I try to bait with a shallow grave. I crack LED to bin Gris and misplay, the game probably was out of reach regardless.

G3(play-loss)
    I keep a slow hand with 2x burning wish, shallow grave. He thoughtseize me 2x while I wish for buried alive. Fearing surgical I also get titan. He does have surgical and a pierce for the exhume. I needed to draw some more discard but he played anglers on subsequent turns, making it hard for me to wait around. Probably should have mulled this hand for a better six, but I expect myself to be bad at mulligans the first time I play a new version.

Overall the deck felt smooth, silent gravestone seems like it would have been great if I could have drawn it. Maybe two copies are in order?

The gas LED provides usually lets you win with 14 cards fairly easily, which older blue versions of this deck I ran really required Gris to connect sometimes (hence goryo’s vengeance). I am interested in trying corpse dance as casting things at instant speed vs blue can be big game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

People still play this format? :shrug:

What's a good list to dick around with at weeklies?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Nov 2014
    Geneva

It's probably not efficient, but it might be fun to kill the opponent with infinite draw with Griselbrand + Children + this new dude!
    Let's say it's another way to win through an ensnaring bridge or so.

EDIT: I just remembered that this dude was already printed... well, sorry then: nothing new.

Evening Everyone, Inspired by the desire of having a transformational board plan like ice zebra station, and with the emergence of the UB shadow deck, I bring you this nightmare of a fever dream.

It did reasonably well in testing (goblins:2-1,rb reanimator:1-2,lands:2-0,ub shadow:2-1) but didn't feel as explosive as some other builds. Sideboard plan into ds felt really good in matchups with a lot of counter spells that are otherwise tedious to slog through. Probably needs some work and tweaking but doesn't hurt to put out onto other peoples radar. Enjoy.

4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Watery Grave
    1 Scrubland
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual

4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave
    4 Exhume
    3 Reanimate

4 Griselbrand
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Children of Korlis

4 Thoughtseize
    1 Collective Brutality
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Careful Study
    2 Ponder
    4 Daze

SB: 3 Silent Gravestone
    SB: 4 Death's Shadow
    SB: 4 Stubborn Denial
    SB: 4 Street Wraith

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

Finally getting back into playing after summer vaca and projects. Here's my current Martian Law build. Also started recording games on MTGO and uploading to youtube. Hope to start streaming some games soon too.

// Martian Law

4 Griselbrand
    1 Children of Korlis
    3 Grave Titan

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave

3 Exhume
    1 Unburial Rites
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Cabal Therapy
    2 Unmask
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Burning Wish
    1 Past in Flames

4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal

1 Swamp
    2 Badlands
    1 Scrubland
    1 Bayou
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Polluted Delta

// Sideboard
    3 Silent Gravestone
    1 Burning Wish
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Exhume
    2 Empty the Warrens
    1 Stronghold Gambit
    1 By Force
    1 Reverent Silence
    1 Massacre
    1 Reanimate
    2 Gamble

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

The reanimate and Gamble's have been useless. Going back to 3 serenity in the board.

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

After more testing, the Gambles have been extremely valuable. See YouTube link for example (https://youtu.be/dzd48Pbj990):

4 Griselbrand
    1 Children of Korlis

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave
    3 Exhume
    1 Unburial Rites
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Unmask

4 Faithless Looting
    4 Burning Wish
    1 Gamble
    1 Manamorphose
    1 Past in Flames

4 Lotus Petal
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond

2 Badlands
    2 Swamp
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Verdant Catacombs

//SIDEBOARD
    4 Silent Gravestone
    4 Abrupt Decay
    1 Exhume
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Gamble
    1 By Force
    1 Reverent Silence
    1 Massacre

Hi, been testing this and playing locally, positive win rate, what do you think??
    Sideboard, Silent Gravestone in for Surgical, Deed for in for everything else.

4 griz
    1 children of korolis

4 dark rit
    4 lotus petal
    2 chrome mox
    1 simian spirit guide
    4 shallow grave
    4 burning wish
    4 entomb
    4 brainstorm
    2 cabal therapy
    2 duress
    4 thoughtsieze
    3 show and tell
    2 omniscience
    2 lim-duls vault

4 polluted delta
    2 u-sea
    1 badlands
    1 volcanic island
    1 swamps
    1 bayou
    3 bloodstained mire

SIDE

1 dark petition
    1 tendriles of agony
    1 empty the warrens
    1 grape shot
    1 exhume
    3 pernious deed
    3 silent gravestone
    1 massacre
    1 toxic deluge
    1 show and tell
    1 enter the infinite

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by UGish View Post
    Hi, been testing this and playing locally, positive win rate, what do you think??
    Sideboard, Silent Gravestone in for Surgical, Deed for in for everything else.
    I think that is a list of Legacy legal cards.

What do you think?

Is there a reason that you chose these cards over the standard cards?

How has your testing gone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I think that is a list of Legacy legal cards.

What do you think?

Is there a reason that you chose these cards over the standard cards?

How has your testing gone?
    Yes I agree, looks kinda wild. I wanted to play a Tin fins list that didn't have Emmy or LED, drawing the deck to recycle it for mana is to long and complicated, haha, I'm lazy and dumb, show and tell is perfect

After playing some weeklies and testing more, made some changes.

Deed is great, kills everything and won me at least 3 games at the weeklies. Did not like Lim-dul's Vault, changed to Spellseeker, read in the Bizzaro thread about Seeker for Cabal Therapy, cast plus flashback, strong against blue.

I don't miss Ponder, rather have the speed and the tutors, easier to find the line or mulligan.

Magus of the mind was added over 4th Griz because better if life is low.

3 griz
    1 magus of the mind
    1 children of korlis
    2 spellseeker

4 dark rit
    4 lotus petal
    2 chrome mox
    4 shallow grave
    1 exhume
    3 burning wish
    4 entomb
    4 brainstorm
    1 cabal therapy
    3 duress
    4 thoughtsieze
    3 show and tell
    2 omniscience
    1 rite of flame

4 polluted delta
    2 u-sea
    1 badlands
    1 volcanic island
    1 swamps
    1 bayou
    3 bloodstained mire

SIDE

1 dark petition
    1 tendriles of agony
    1 empty the warrens
    1 grape shot
    1 exhume
    1 toxic deluge
    1 show and tell
    1 enter the infinite
    1 echoing truth
    3 pernious deed
    3 silent gravestone

Mar 2010
    Rochester NY

Is there no Primer or Thread for Ice Station Zebra?
    I've searched but for the life of my can't find it.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by Nik842 View Post
    Is there no Primer or Thread for Ice Station Zebra?
    I've searched but for the life of my can't find it.
    This is the last known one from JBlinder a while back:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...K63VNGVXUk84Fn

I'm sure a few specific card choices have changed since then, but it's a really comprehensive guide and should cover 95% of what you're looking for, I would imagine.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    This is the last known one from JBlinder a while back:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...K63VNGVXUk84Fn

I'm sure a few specific card choices have changed since then, but it's a really comprehensive guide and should cover 95% of what you're looking for, I would imagine.
    I haven’t played ice station (or magic at all, really) recently, but assassin’s trophy is an important printing for the deck since that primer was written. Because of its versatility I think it’s far and away the best option to deal with problem permanents. I like making room for 2-3 and going to 2 silent gravestone in the board. It’s a little less important with drs gone.

I've been a bit out of the loop and didn't even know Arclight Phoenix was a card until today. Apparently it's the hotness in Modern and people are brewing with it in Legacy. I tried my hand at jamming it into a Fins shell, and it actually worked out quite well in VERY limited testing. Thought I'd throw it out here in case people want to tinker around with it.

4 Burning Wish
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave
    3 Exhume
    1 Unburial Rites
    3 Griselbrand
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Thoughtseize

(a fairly standard Burning Fins shell so far)

3 Buried Alive
    4 Arclight Phoenix

(these essentially take up what would otherwise be flex spots; extra discard/collective brutaily, reanimates, a grave titan, etc...also take Children's slot. I've found Children mostly unnecessary in Burning Fins, as storming off often happens without needing to go through Children)

2 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    8 Black Fetchland
    2 Swamp

Wishboard:
    Tendrils of Agony
    Empty the Warrens
    Collective Brutality
    Buried Alive
    Exhume
    Reanimate
    Reverent Silence
    By Force
    Massacre
    Gamble* Kind of cool to be able to grab that last Phoenix, which I did once
    Last Chance* Didn't use yet but I can see Burning Wish into Last Chance, trigger 3 Phoenix and attack twice for the win being a line
    3 Silent Gravestone
    1 Ancient Grudge

What was promising about the deck is that I went 3-0 so far (like I said, very limited testing) and every win was actually with the Phoenix plan, which was unexpected. I still think Griselbrand is the plan A, but Phoenix seems to be no joke, and offers a lot of mid to late game resiliency. Burning Wish is shines even more than normal in this build, as it offers two spells to feed the Phoenix, as well as being able to fetch the Buried Alive itself (with LED to potentially cast it immediately). LED/Looting is also highly relevant to get that third spell for the turn.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Absolutely love it, will be giving this a whirl for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Thread Information