Page 161 of 174 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 3476

Thread: [Deck] TinFins 3: Return of the Onion Burst

Re: [Deck] TinFins 3: Return of the Onion Burst

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    That's a weird list - it looks like some bizarro update from lists about 2-3 years ago.

I don't get the second scrubland. That seems odd - probably because of Mentor, but I'd still rather it be a Sea. Petals make white just fine.

Chrome Mox in general isn't needed - there is data somewhere in this thread (from a couple years ago) that Acclimation and I gathered over hundreds of games, that IMO basically tells you that you're only gaining about 1% less chance of fizzling by running a Chrome Mox. The second we didn't gather data on - but it's just SO bad pre-combo, I'm not sure why you would want it.

I like Unmask in this deck a lot (when you're running 3-4 Griselbrands anyway) these days, and they can essentially take the place of Thoughtseize. And I don't see a good reason to not run Collective Brutality or Tendrils maindeck either. Collective Brutality has a lot more utility at very little functional cost (just time) over Tendrils, so I would run that.
    ^Agreed 98%, I disagree on the chrome mox but I am playing a different deck which may rely on it as a crutch.

I like running 4 griselbrands just because that is a card we need to enter the grave one way or another. I wasn't sure if the 2 of was a UB thing.

I found that you didn't need both emrakul and tendrils to win, but emrakul aids the tendrils win. Which lead me to the conclusion of not wanting tendrils in my 75. Then I played against lands and was locked out by glacial chasm. A tendrils effect (life loss) is absolutely necessary for corner cases like this, but with collective brutality I don't see a reason to run tendrils anymore, at least for the time being.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by Kobra_D View Post
    ^Agreed 98%, I disagree on the chrome mox but I am playing a different deck which may rely on it as a crutch.

I like running 4 griselbrands just because that is a card we need to enter the grave one way or another. I wasn't sure if the 2 of was a UB thing.

I found that you didn't need both emrakul and tendrils to win, but emrakul aids the tendrils win. Which lead me to the conclusion of not wanting tendrils in my 75. Then I played against lands and was locked out by glacial chasm. A tendrils effect (life loss) is absolutely necessary for corner cases like this, but with collective brutality I don't see a reason to run tendrils anymore, at least for the time being.
    Well, I can't say on your RB deck, but the data was pretty clear for tin fins - chrome mox isn't needed.

I wouldn't play tendrils either - my only point was that you want SOMETHING in that slot. Tendrils is passable - collective brutality is better.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Well, I can't say on your RB deck, but the data was pretty clear for tin fins - chrome mox isn't needed.

I wouldn't play tendrils either - my only point was that you want SOMETHING in that slot. Tendrils is passable - collective brutality is better.
    I always played assuming I needed them in my 60. But that was always just because that's what I did. My whole world is upside down now, thanks .dk.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

I always played assuming I needed them in my 60. But that was always just because that's what I did. My whole world is upside down now, thanks .dk.
    Before Collective Brutality was printed, I do think it was needed at least somewhere in the 75 to get around weird corner case things. Collective Brutality does ALMOST all of the same, but has more utility. Things it doesn't do:

1. Win with natural storm count into Tendrils through weird hate
    2. Win super fucking fast so you can go get food

But it does everything else, bins a griselbrand through countermagic, discards additional countermagic from their hand to resolve shallow grave, and kills deathrite shaman. seems way fucking worth it to me.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

2. Win super fucking fast so you can go get food
    It does however generate epic amounts of salt, which is nice if the food at the venue is under seasoned. Make sure you stay really hydrated though.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

It does however generate epic amounts of salt, which is nice if the food at the venue is under seasoned. Make sure you stay really hydrated though.
    You're getting magic venue snack bar food: it's made of 97% salt already. CoBru is spicy - balances out the saltiness.

My auto include was for chrome mox, I never really considered playing without them.

I agree on the CoBru. I didn't immediately value the card when it was first printed but my opinion changed as soon as I played with it. It resides as a 2 of at the moment in my main. It's great but I don't necessarily want 4 2mana interuption spells.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

My auto include was for chrome mox, I never really considered playing without them.

I agree on the CoBru. I didn't immediately value the card when it was first printed but my opinion changed as soon as I played with it. It resides as a 2 of at the moment in my main. It's great but I don't necessarily want 4 2mana interuption spells.
    Ahhh gotcha. Misunderstood.

And yes, I would tend to agree that you don't want a playset of those as well.

Morning all,

I'm slowly finding more pieces to get a rough list together in paper, as this seems/looks like so much fun!

Had a question though. In the absence of having an Emrakul, is there a substitute? As in, would one of the other OG titans with the shuffle effect still allow for the loop but not necessarily the alpha strike?

I'm in a weird situation where i randomly have a foil Children of Korlis but not a single Reanimate, so chipping away at obtaining bits and curious about potential alternatives.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by NedB37 View Post
    Morning all,

I'm slowly finding more pieces to get a rough list together in paper, as this seems/looks like so much fun!

Had a question though. In the absence of having an Emrakul, is there a substitute? As in, would one of the other OG titans with the shuffle effect still allow for the loop but not necessarily the alpha strike?

I'm in a weird situation where i randomly have a foil Children of Korlis but not a single Reanimate, so chipping away at obtaining bits and curious about potential alternatives.
    The shuffle effect from the other original titans will work just the same, they're just worse creatures to attack with.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    The shuffle effect from the other original titans will work just the same, they're just worse creatures to attack with.
    Sure! I'll keep chipping away at the pieces of the puzzle, then :) Cheers!

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Sure! I'll keep chipping away at the pieces of the puzzle, then :) Cheers!
    While the shuffle effect is one aspect, you can't 1 shot your opponent by attacking with Griselbrand and a non-Emrakul titan on T1. She's the only one with 13+ power.

Recently been playing more Tin Fins and have been doing surprisingly well. Went 3-1 last week, beating all 3 blue decks I faced and lost to a weird colorless stax deck. The Mentor plan has been decent post board but I want a more consistent way to find them as early as possible. Someone had mentioned JVP and I was wondering if a 2-of in the board would supplement that. It digs for Mentor, then recasts spells for Prowess triggers, and Mentor tokens are great at keeping him alive. As a neat bonus, we can Shallow Grave, and flip him immediately to ignore the exile clause. You could even -3 targeting Shallow Grave, let Jace die, reanimate, flip, and cast another spell. Definitely a cutesy play but it sounds quite fun, and that’s half the reason we play Fins right?

I typically board in 4 Mentor, some number of Flusterstorm and Stp, and a extra land, boarding out the entire combo save for 1 Griselbrand, 2 Reanimates, 3 Shallow Graves, and 2 Entombs.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by supachai View Post
    Recently been playing more Tin Fins and have been doing surprisingly well. Went 3-1 last week, beating all 3 blue decks I faced and lost to a weird colorless stax deck. The Mentor plan has been decent post board but I want a more consistent way to find them as early as possible. Someone had mentioned JVP and I was wondering if a 2-of in the board would supplement that. It digs for Mentor, then recasts spells for Prowess triggers, and Mentor tokens are great at keeping him alive. As a neat bonus, we can Shallow Grave, and flip him immediately to ignore the exile clause.

I typically board in 4 Mentor, some number of Flusterstorm and Stp, and a extra land, boarding out the entire combo save for 1 Griselbrand, 2 Reanimates, 3 Shallow Graves, and 2 Entombs.
    A singleton JVP as an Entomb target can be excellent out of the sideboard (or possibly main deck). He's works incredibly well with Shallow Grave and Goryo's Vengeance. I typically wouldn't want more than 1, as he is very vulnerable if you're not reanimating him with either of those 2 spells. Having to untap with him is a pretty big risk though (same problem with Bob out of the sideboard though, really, except he is still fine in multiples). And you basically never want to see the second one. I could easily see something like 4 Mentor, 1 JVP, 1-2 Bob out of the sideboard.

Glad to hear the sentiment on JVP. I think I will try this out. Some initial goldfishing seems positive. Sometimes an extra BS/Ponder or removal spell is all you really need to pull ahead. Also testing EE in the board in place of an Echoing Truth. Any suggestions on what my last SB slot should be? Ideally it should be something that handles hatepieces-Disenchent, Seal of Cleansing, Echoing Truth, EE.

//Creatures
    3 Griselbrand
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Children of Korlis

//Instants
    4 Entomb
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Shallow Grave
    3 Goryo's Vengeance

//Sorceries
    4 Ponder
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Reanimate

//Artifacts
    4 Lotus Petal

//Lands
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tundra
    1 Swamp
    1 Island

//Sideboard
    SB: 4 Monastery Mentor
    SB: 3 Swords to Plowshares
    SB: 2 Serenity
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
    SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Plains

While the shuffle effect is one aspect, you can't 1 shot your opponent by attacking with Griselbrand and a non-Emrakul titan on T1. She's the only one with 13+ power.
    Sure, that was in my initial question :) Thanks, though.

...As in, would one of the other OG titans with the shuffle effect still allow for the loop but not necessarily the alpha strike?

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by supachai View Post
    Glad to hear the sentiment on JVP. I think I will try this out. Some initial goldfishing seems positive. Sometimes an extra BS/Ponder or removal spell is all you really need to pull ahead. Also testing EE in the board in place of an Echoing Truth. Any suggestions on what my last SB slot should be? Ideally it should be something that handles hatepieces-Disenchent, Seal of Cleansing, Echoing Truth, EE.

//Creatures
    3 Griselbrand
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Children of Korlis

//Instants
    4 Entomb
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Shallow Grave
    3 Goryo's Vengeance

//Sorceries
    4 Ponder
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Reanimate

//Artifacts
    4 Lotus Petal

//Lands
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tundra
    1 Swamp
    1 Island

//Sideboard
    SB: 4 Monastery Mentor
    SB: 3 Swords to Plowshares
    SB: 2 Serenity
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
    SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Plains
    Given that you're running 2 Collective Brutality main deck, not sure that 3 STP are necessary in the board. I could see cutting those to 2, and running 2 Chain of Vapor in your last slots.

Given that you're running 2 Collective Brutality main deck, not sure that 3 STP are necessary in the board. I could see cutting those to 2, and running 2 Chain of Vapor in your last slots.
    I like that suggestion. I think I want to keep at least 3 outs to Chalice, since that is fairly prevalent in my meta (or at least I always seem to run into it), so I might just go -1 Swords, +1 Chain, and keep the EE for now. EE doubles as removal on small creatures too.

How is Chain of Vapor an answer to chalice? Are people putting it on zero?
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    How is Chain of Vapor an answer to chalice? Are people putting it on zero?
    I've beaten chalice on 1 multiple times with 2 cmc spells, so a stompy player may go chalice on 2 if they have the chance. But that being said, I don't think it is particularly likely of a scenario and would not be bringing in chain of vapor to answer CotV.

Thread Information