Page 121 of 174 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 3476

Thread: [Deck] TinFins 3: Return of the Onion Burst

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Re: [Deck] TinFins 3: Return of the Onion Burst

Quote Originally Posted by alaska View Post
    Well, sheepish, but I completely spaced on the "Karaks Thalia, vial into play" line - probably because it's never actually happened to me. But yes, Dread of Night is way better there.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Edit: as for point #1, if DnT chooses not to play any plains to get around Massacre, I'm okay with that tradeoff. They won't always have vial, and vial is relatively slow - t3 before they can vial anything relevant in, and that's best case scenario for DnT
    They have other lands that aren't plains that make white though: Karakas, Flagstones, Eiganjo Castle sometimes. And the creatures you care about only have W in the casting cost, so it's not that unreasonable to encounter. Not saying it's easy or happens all the time, but it can happen sometimes (or has to me anyway).
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    They have other lands that aren't plains that make white though: Karakas, Flagstones, Eiganjo Castle sometimes. And the creatures you care about only have W in the casting cost, so it's not that unreasonable to encounter. Not saying it's easy or happens all the time, but it can happen sometimes (or has to me anyway).
    Not with TinFins, but with another storm variant featuring burning wish I once lost a game against D&T: I was unable to kill throught a cannonist & Thalia except for a BW into massacre, and so I did, hoping to kill next turn. At the end of his next two turns, the D&T player flickerwisped his plain, and eventually killed me.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Gross. That deck is such a pain in the ass sometimes. Fuck them: Dread of Night.

May 2013
    Budapest - Hungary

Hi Guys!
    I am new to Tin Fins I had my first competition with it today. I went 4-0 and win our local monthly Legacy. I beat DnT (2-1), Death-Blade (2-0), Sneak and Tell (2-1) and Lands (2-0). 2 times turn 1 win, 5 times turn 2, once turn 3. I cast ToA 3 times all the other games Grisel plus Emmi attack. I think the power of surprise was that brought me finally the win in our local Legacy (previously I’ve achieved only the 2nd and 3th places a few times but never the first). People used to play Reanimator and Storm but nobody Tin Fins. During our last few events I played TES.
    Today I played the exact list of Josh Bingaman - 58th place, Grand Prix New Jersey (2014-11-16).
    I never switched to Doomsday. I only sided in Needle and CoV in ever MU.
    I just wanted to share how happy I am that I tried this deck!
    Thank You!
    mtglegacy.blog.hu
    mtgvintage.blog.hu

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Vancouver

lost in T8 of another GPT, this time with TinFins!

Maindeck
    1 Lim-Dul's Vault
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Probe
    4 Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize

3 Griselbrand
    1 Emrakul
    1 Children of Korlis

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Chrome Mox

1 Reanimate
    4 Shallow Grave
    3 Goryo's Vengeance
    4 Entomb
    1 Tendrils of Agony

1 Tundra
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp
    1 Bayou
    8 Fetches

Sideboard
    1 Trop
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Chain of Vapour
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pithing Needle
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Dread of Night

R1: vs Harry on Sneak and Show
    G1: 7 cards on the play. Probe seeing Emrakul, Griselbrand, Ponder, Omni, Misty on his mull to 6 with the scry bottoming. Therapy him for Ponder. go off following turn and 22 him with the pals.
    G2: 5 cards on the draw, scry to the top. he forces my therapy and T2 shows emrakul. i die on his next turn, unable to go off.
    G3: he opens on 5 cards with a scry to the bottom.... and Leyline of the Void (i left bounce in the sideboard—FFFFFFFUUUUUU). i get to cantripping and find triple Dark Ritual to hardcast Grisebrand a couple turns later. Attack, cast kids, draw enough to Tendrils after combat.

1-0 (2-1)

R2: vs Alvan on Merfolk.
    G1: 7 on the play. probe sees Cavern of Souls, Cursecatcher, Chalice of the Void, Silvergill x 2, Island, and Lord of Atlantis. Cool. I get him for 22 before he gets a turn.
    G2: 7 on the draw. his island into my probe, seeing Chalice. attempt to go off but can only get in a griselhit. hang on to abrupt decay for the following turn. Decay chalice, therapy Force, then Emmy has his vengeance.

2-0 (4-1)

R3: Aaron on Sneak + Show
    G1: 6 on the play with scry to the bottom. his 5 with a scry to the top....can't remember much of this one. i think i therapy him for Force blind and go off on turn 2. unable to emrakul or tendrils. therapy GB to the yard and do it again the following turn, then finish up with Tendrils after a swing.
    G2: 7 on the draw with GB in hand and Chain of Vapour. he pierces my therapy, into preordain top-bottom. his T2 is ponder (keep), then cage. i therapy again on my T2 and whiff on force. he shows Emrakul instead of GB (foolish!) I put in my GB and 22 him after bouncing cage in order to conjure up Emmy.

3-0 (6-1) and locked!

ID x 2 against BUG Delver and Grixis Delver.

3-0-2 (6-1-2)

T8: Miracles.

G1: my 6 on the play. therapy him for force then 22 him on T2.
    G2: CB-locked. he insultingly lets me keep all cards after seeing my hand. i was this close to hard casting griselbrand but he didn't decline to counter my rit as i'd managed to mind-trick him into doing before...
    G3 CB and RIP. managed to needle top. went down to 2 ADs on the play instead of the full 4 and i regretted it.

doubled up to $50 store credit. grabbed days undoings, leyline of anticipation, seats of the synods, and some random things for my Narset french deck. Flusterstorm was relevant against chalice!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I'm not saying sugarcoat the tournament scene, that's impossible, but for God's sake just act like a damned grown-up. Be polite, play fast-ish but allow for a little thought now and then, represent the rules to the best of your ability and be a good sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    WotC fucks up something computer related. Film @ 11.
    @warfordium on twitter.

Jul 2011
    Singapore, Singapore City

nice report :) would you be willing to share how you sideboarded in each matchup?

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by movingtonewao View Post
    nice report :) would you be willing to share how you sideboarded in each matchup?
    can't remember. usually shaved 4 cards—sometimes probe, sometimes LDV/Chrommox. trop came in alongside ADs against Merfolk. brought in flusterstorm against sneak. its tricky not "over-boarding"
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I'm not saying sugarcoat the tournament scene, that's impossible, but for God's sake just act like a damned grown-up. Be polite, play fast-ish but allow for a little thought now and then, represent the rules to the best of your ability and be a good sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    WotC fucks up something computer related. Film @ 11.
    @warfordium on twitter.

Jul 2011
    Singapore, Singapore City

yeah sideboarding with this deck is trickier than it looks, hence I asked. How do you avoid "overboarding" in general? I know its a tough question but advice would be good.

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

Typically, I try to keep my boarding to under 5 cards, usually cutting Probe and maybe LDV first. Reanimate, basic swamp, and a Ponder will also occasionally get cut if the match-up calls for it.

Against burn and rug and goblins, i'll typically cut cards that cause me to lose excess life.

Against opposing storm combo, I'll cut basic swamp and LDV first

Against grindier matchups, the Probes definitely go.
    Tinfins & Bizarro Stormy & Belcher & DDFT
    @acclimation6 on twitter
    Back to back t1 kills at SCG STL 2013:
    https://youtu.be/kk3crCPsNLg

Acclimation has solved the deck. Thread CLOSED.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Lost in the finals of a GPT yesterday... here's the list:

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Scrubland
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Swamp

2 Griselbrand
    1 Emrakul
    1 Children of Korlis
    1 Tendrils of Agony

4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave
    3 Goryo's Vengeance
    1 Reanimate
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Lim Dul's Vault

Sideboard:
    1 Bayou
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Chain of Vapor
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Dread of Night

R1: Some 3 or 4 color Stiflenought/Cloudform brew with Deathrite and countermagic. Don't remember the match other than that I won in 3.

R2: UB Tezzeret - friend who wasn't going to Seattle scooped to me (he ended up making T8 still). We played anyway - game 1 was super easy, games 2 and 3 were nigh unwinnable. He boarded into Leyline/Helm in addition to the maindeck lock pieces - pretty brutal.

R3: Green and Taxes - Roflstomp him game 1 with Griselbrand + Emrakul. Game 2... He has 2 Rest in Peace in play, so I abandon reanimation plan. And then he has Karakas. So I abandon the hardcast Griselbrand plan. I have 2 Dread of Night in play... and Lim Dul's Vault to find the 3rd (paying 7 life to find it) to kill the 1/1 Serra Avenger he has in play before he can find equipment to throw on it. I ask him if he can still win through that - he thinks for a while and doesn't scoop. Damn - was worth a try though. We both play draw go for a long time and he eventually casts Sylvan Library. He just filters for a while, and eventually says, "well, I'm at 18, why not take the extra card?" and he draws 2 and goes down to 14. Whoops! I have Tendrils, 2 Dark Rituals, Chain of Vapor, 2 Entomb, and Cabal Therapy in hand. He passes, ports 3 lands in my upkeep, to which i respond with 2 entombs and Chain of Vapor to the confusion of everyone watching from the other side of the table. Then I cast Dark Ritual and they figure it out. :) And THAT is why you don't cut the maindeck Tendrils.

R4, R5 - ID

T8: Lands - roflstomp him both games on T2.

T4: Death and Taxes - he doesn't need the byes, and T4 split prizes already so he scoops.

Finals: BUG Delver. Goddamnit. At least I'm on the play as I was the second highest seed. G1 I keep a nutty no-lander with Probe in hand. Probe him, and I see he has a Force and a blue card. Spend my petal to thoughtseize away Force and pass, hoping to draw the land the next turn. He draws deathrite off the top and passes - now or never. And... I rip Delta off the top! Proceed to go off... draw 14... no IMS, but everything else I need. Attack... draw 7 more. Still no IMS. I'm dead. I haven't fizzled off a draw 21 with this deck in a very very long time. Had a 4 outer still - 3 Petals and a Chrome Mox, didn't seem THAT unlikely. Bad time for bad variance. :( G2 I keep a pretty strong no lander with a petal again, but his hand is way stronger and he stomps me with deathrite backed up with countermagic while attacking with Delver and eventually Goyf. I really really really hate this matchup.

Despite 3 Dread of Night essentially getting there against Green and Taxes - I think it's too many. Next time I'll switch to 2 Dread of Night and 2 Pithing Needle.

/edit Fixed the list because my memory sucks
    Last edited by .dk; 10-13-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Never played with the reactive SB (always played with DD), but I will play it at Prague (MCM tournament). Looking at those SBs, Fluster seems like an auto include. Sadly I don't own Flusters (never needed them), so what would be the best replacement for them? Was looking at either Swan Song, which is crap cause of that stupid bird, or Spell Pierce. Both seem like a lackluster. Any good counter I missed?

Greetings,
    Kathal

Nov 2013
    charlottesville, VA

Lost in the finals of a GPT yesterday... here's the list:

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Scrubland
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Swamp

2 Griselbrand
    1 Emrakul
    1 Children of Korlis
    1 Tendrils of Agony

4 Shallow Grave
    3 Goryo's Vengeance
    1 Reanimate
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Lim Dul's Vault

Sideboard:
    1 Bayou
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Chain of Vapor
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Dread of Night
    There are some cards missing from the MD. Care to share ;)

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Ah yeah I wrote it from memory. Whoops! Missing:

4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughseize

Jun 2008
    Denver, CO

Ah yeah I wrote it from memory. Whoops! Missing:

4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughseize
    And ...
    4 Entomb

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Errr yeah, those too

Went 2-2 in a 4 round weekly last night (51 people). It was my first time playing magic in six weeks, and first time on Tin Fins in ~10 weeks (been dabbling with Reanimator). Felt good to be back. I didn't keep detailed notes, but briefly:

Rd. 1:

Esper Control w/Mentor
    Nice guy, this was his first time playing the deck in a competitive setting so he was still working out the kinks and the rust.

2-0 victory

I do remember that G1, I had the turn one combo, but ended up fizzling. Partway through 'going off', I did probe or therapy him, and he didn't scoop in response. He wasn't familiar with Tin Fins, but if he had been, I think it would have been correct for him to scoop there. He ended up being somewhat rewarded for his decision in that I DID indeed brick, but I killed him the next turn with a straight shot Emrakul.

G2, I don't remember much, but I do remember that I had Grizzy in the yard, and one card in hand was a ponder. He had therapy in the yard, only snapcaster in hand. So whatever I drew, he could therapy if he was savvy/a mind-reader with his name. I decided "Hey, this guy isn't familiar with the matchup (Goryo's and Shallow Grave were both readers), so I'll just shuffle my mediocre but safe three from the ponder and draw....Shallow Grave! Then I have to sigh and bluff like it's garbage. He draws, tanks for a second, then plays Strix instead of trying to snipe therapy me. I go off the next turn.

Rd. 2:

Made it on stream/camera, and got there in style. Not sure how to link directly to my match, but the coverage starts at 36m30s of the link below:

http://www.twitch.tv/cardkingdom/v/20442561

It was a fairly quick match, so I encourage you guys to watch if you have a minute.

G1 was the turn 1 victory, g2 was the "flawless victory" (opponent left with no permanents). Riley, my opponent, is a good player, but this matchup feels pretty great for us, DRS notwithstanding. I'm fairly confident he knew what I was on as I've played him several times before (and he mulliganed very aggressively G1).

G1 I tank for like 30 seconds even though I have the combo and know his hand. For some reason I just didn't quite see it at first (involved therapying myself). Obviously I pulled my head out of my ass after a moment so I could burst some onions, but that's what not playing magic for a couple months will do to you.

A note of clarification on Game 2: There was a point where I pondered, didn't shuffle, drew a delta, played it, and passed. The cards I left underneath it were shallow grave, then entomb beneath that. So I have only delta untapped, pass the turn. That's why I chose to do nothing in the face of the hymn the next turn. The commentators were briefly questioning my choice, but they didn't realize there was an entomb 1 card down from the top card of my library, or didn't realize that I knew that.

Rd.3:

0-2 loss vs. Maverick splashing blue for brainstorm and maindeck meddling mage. Mage can be challenging if your opponent understands the matchup, and mine certainly did. Mage, Scooze, and KotR seal my fate.

G2, I ended up mulling to four. I was tempted to keep my seven of 4 lands, a decay, a chain of vapor, and a shallow grave. But I didn't, and the hands got worse all the way down. Scooze, Mage, KotR once again seal my fate.

Note of interest: My opponent, Peter (also a very nice guy) has some wonderful trollish features to his setup. First, his 'playmat' is actually an MTG mousepad. Second, of the three mages I saw, One was Pikula foil, one was Pikula nonfoil, and one was the random lady art. Almost made me feel dignified with my one-off white-bordered "Beatdown Box Set" Brainstorm.

Rd.4

0-2 loss vs. Sneak and Show

G1 I don't recall very well, but never really felt in it. I durdled, cast some cantrips and discard spells. My opponent commented during the break between games that he felt my choice of playing storm was strong, which is when I realized that the deck really hadn't done anything G1 if he thought I was on storm.

G2, we both durdled for a while, until he cast show and tell. He puts in Emrakul, I put in Children. This gets a hearty laugh and a "Oh you're on THAT deck!" I have one turn to live, and he has a swan song in hand. I almost scrape something together with a dark ritual, therapy the swan song, and brainstorm, but at that point I knew I was a mana short and was on a no-outer anyway.

One fun thing I did (don't remember if it was G1 or G2, but I think he still thought I was on storm): I remember my opening hand had petal, fetchland, and brainstorm, along with some other mana. So instead of leading with a land, I go T1 petal, brainstorm. He tanks, then figures I'm on storm and am desperately looking for a land. FoW, pitching Show and Tell. Felt great to then play a land and cast ponder, much to his chagrin.

Still think he made the right play, and my play wasn't entirely a bluff (just wanted to brainstorm, then shuffle, then ponder). But sometimes you just gotta get 'em in the process.

Aug 2015
    Norcal

Those matches on camera were pretty awesome to watch. Inspired me to kind of build TinFins on the side as my fun deck.

Jan 2015
    Calgary, AB

An article on SCG has a different approach to this deck, but the author says he hasn't tested at all yet. I don't know how I feel about the idea of slowing the deck down for the benefit of security. Any other thoughts on this?

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbobbobber View Post
    An article on SCG has a different approach to this deck, but the author says he hasn't tested at all yet. I don't know how I feel about the idea of slowing the deck down for the benefit of security. Any other thoughts on this?
    I think he's just trying to help them sell more new Jaces while they're absurdly overpriced. Dropping all the IMSs to run a few counters and new Jace just makes you slower than regular Reanimator, but with the added reliance on a combo finish because all your reanimation effects are temporary.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

SCG is trying to create market for a card?

Thread Information