Page 165 of 174 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,300 of 3476

Thread: [Deck] TinFins 3: Return of the Onion Burst

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

Re: [Deck] TinFins 3: Return of the Onion Burst

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    So... you only have 6 ways to draw into your doomsday pile (faithless looting sorta counts, so maybe 10)? That seems like a frequent pass the turn setup, unless I'm missing something. That sounds risky to me.
    You are correct, and pass the turns are always risky. I tried several things including increasing the bauble count and even adding Tormenting Voice, but then it felt like too much dilution. So that's why the Unmask count was increased for more turn 1/2 disruption to clear the pass the turn. Originally the CoBr was a Duress, but I needed to get rid of Pyroclasm so CoBr does a good job of filling both roles.

EDIT: I tried Street Wraiths too and helped with Unmask, but it doesn't offer the utility that Bauble nor Gitaxian Probe does.
    Last edited by scottpou; 02-26-2018 at 09:52 PM.

What do you guys normally board out to deal with Czech Pile in the Magus lists? And would you recommend going 3 Grisel, 1 Emmy in the MD to replace Emmy with S and T in that list?

Loving the deck but always had problems with boarding.

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

Czech:
    -2 ponder
    -1 GB
    -1 LED

+3 Gravestone
    +1 Chain of Vapor

Don't play Show and Tell in the board, don't play Emrakul.

Show and Tell is horrendously bad (as we've found out) and Emrakul is fun but we don't have as much going on to make it as good.
    Tinfins & Bizarro Stormy & Belcher & DDFT
    @acclimation6 on twitter
    Back to back t1 kills at SCG STL 2013:
    https://youtu.be/kk3crCPsNLg

Acclimation has solved the deck. Thread CLOSED.

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

I've spent the last two days playing a nonDD sideboard. I wanted to try the valid suggestions offered by you most esteemed members. I still prefer the BR version with burning wish so this where I'm currently at:

// 7 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 6 Creature
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Children of Korlis
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

// 16 Instant
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave
    4 Goryo's Vengeance

// 18 Sorcery
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Unmask
    3 Thoughtseize
    4 Gitaxian Probe

// 13 Land
    2 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    2 Swamp
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Verdant Catacombs

// Sideboard
    // 4 Instant
    SB: 4 Abrupt Decay
    // 11 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 By Force
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Exhume
    SB: 1 Stronghold Gambit
    SB: 1 Dreadbore / Ruinous Path
    SB: 1 Collective Brutality
    SB: 1 Duress
    SB: 1 Reanimate
    SB: 1 Reverent Silence
    SB: 1 Massacre / Pyroclasm / Toxic Deluge

I started out with W instead of G (Scrubland instead of Bayou), but I found Abrupt decay to be more consistent than Wear // Tear

Quote Originally Posted by scottpou View Post
    I've spent the last two days playing a nonDD sideboard. I wanted to try the valid suggestions offered by you most esteemed members. I still prefer the BR version with burning wish so this where I'm currently at:

// 7 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 6 Creature
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Children of Korlis

// 16 Instant
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave
    4 Goryo's Vengeance

// 18 Sorcery
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Unmask
    3 Thoughtseize
    4 Gitaxian Probe

// 13 Land
    2 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    2 Swamp
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Verdant Catacombs

// Sideboard
    // 4 Instant
    SB: 4 Abrupt Decay
    // 11 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 By Force
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Exhume
    SB: 1 Stronghold Gambit
    SB: 1 Dreadbore / Ruinous Path
    SB: 1 Collective Brutality
    SB: 1 Duress
    SB: 1 Reanimate
    SB: 1 Reverent Silence
    SB: 1 Massacre / Pyroclasm / Toxic Deluge

I started out with W instead of G (Scrubland instead of Bayou), but I found Abrupt decay to be more consistent than Wear // Tear
    I would encourage you to try +1 LED, +4 Exhume, -4 goryo, -1 emrakul.

I know cutting emrakul seems like sacrelige, but he is not needed here, as burning wish for tendrils will get the job done. You don’t need him; with all the mana LEDs provide between activations, you are unlikely to fizzle (even off of exhume! Try it you’ll see). And as we all know from experience, even the times we do fizzle we are likely to win the next turn, and even moeeso when griselbrand sticks around with exhume.

In addition, emrakul does not play nice with LED, as having him in hand will prevent shallow grave crack led discard griselbrand (will trigger shuffle). And it’s one less dead draw.

This opens so many more lines where you use LED to bin griselbrand with exhume or SG on the stack. It also allows for a silent gravestone or two in the board.

Edit: +3 exhume...forgot you want one in board. The last slot should def be 1 unburial rites. Entomb for unburial when you have LED + griselbrand is invaluable. Griselbrand, LED, entomb, ritual, 3 lands does nothing in your build. With one unburial in the 60 it makes t1 griselbrand. (1 scrubland also prob goes in).

Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    Czech:
    -2 ponder
    -1 GB
    -1 LED

+3 Gravestone
    +1 Chain of Vapor

Don't play Show and Tell in the board, don't play Emrakul.

Show and Tell is horrendously bad (as we've found out) and Emrakul is fun but we don't have as much going on to make it as good.
    So I take it the Emrakul is no longer in your SB, which means you're now running triple Silent Gravestone in its place? How do you feel about putting one Ground Seal there, just for the instant cantrip?

Overall, I took the deck to a small tourney and fizzled out. I even made some mistakes with the list, such as Scrubland (!) instead of Badlands, and a fourth Cabal Ritual instead of a basic Swamp. Goes to show I should read more closely... grumble. I'm sure I'll do better next time, once I get the hang of boarding. I've been so bad at it with this deck, not knowing what to take out.

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by mistervader View Post
    So I take it the Emrakul is no longer in your SB, which means you're now running triple Silent Gravestone in its place? How do you feel about putting one Ground Seal there, just for the instant cantrip?

Overall, I took the deck to a small tourney and fizzled out. I even made some mistakes with the list, such as Scrubland (!) instead of Badlands, and a fourth Cabal Ritual instead of a basic Swamp. Goes to show I should read more closely... grumble. I'm sure I'll do better next time, once I get the hang of boarding. I've been so bad at it with this deck, not knowing what to take out.
    Nope, no Emrakul, yes to triple Gravestone. You can totally run a ground seal if you splash green.

And don't fret too much, none of us actually know how to properly sideboard yet.
    @acclimation6 on twitter

i had already lost interest in legacy. too many deathrite shamans i told myself.

Then i found this masterpiece.

Thank you for revitalizing my interest in the format.
    Last edited by quadich; 03-06-2018 at 04:57 AM.

Hey Guys

i was gone from Tin Fins for some time and i saw this list popping up on MTGTOP8 and nobody seemed to notice or didnt need to discuss because its not the new hotness.
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=18254&d=313192&f=LE

it looks pretty sweet to me and i will propably test it on my next FNM. how do you guys feel about this list and the rather odd sideboard cards?

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by ElDorte View Post
    Hey Guys

i was gone from Tin Fins for some time and i saw this list popping up on MTGTOP8 and nobody seemed to notice or didnt need to discuss because its not the new hotness.
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=18254&d=313192&f=LE

it looks pretty sweet to me and i will propably test it on my next FNM. how do you guys feel about this list and the rather odd sideboard cards?
    The main deck looks fine, but the sb cards are definitely odd.

Moon seems like a dubious way to punish decks, and Strix seems like a sad slot.

But hey, sometimes weird things work when you can just Bargain for 14 cards.
    @acclimation6 on twitter

The main deck looks fine, but the sb cards are definitely odd.

Moon seems like a dubious way to punish decks, and Strix seems like a sad slot.

But hey, sometimes weird things work when you can just Bargain for 14 cards.
    I mostly agree with this. The 4c list seems to be overextending just to have SB blood moon. I would probably want careful study in the main, I don't like relying on entomb and discard alone. It seems like this person is trying to board into a slower deck, and unless the slower plan is turbo mentor I don't see it being reliable. But who am I to argue with results.

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

Nah, careful study is bad in this version, we don't have the fatty density standard reanimator lists run, so it loses lots of equity for us. We tried it a year ago when we bumped up to 4 GB with Unmask, and it still wasn't good.

And I'll argue with results- slow plans are probably pretty bad if they aren't mentor based, and janking these greedy AF 4c decks out with Blood Moon seems fine, until you remember that Silent Gravestone also does a good job at protecting our onions and also doesn't mess up our manabase at the same time.
    @acclimation6 on twitter

Nah, careful study is bad in this version, we don't have the fatty density standard reanimator lists run, so it loses lots of equity for us. We tried it a year ago when we bumped up to 4 GB with Unmask, and it still wasn't good.

And I'll argue with results- slow plans are probably pretty bad if they aren't mentor based, and janking these greedy AF 4c decks out with Blood Moon seems fine, until you remember that Silent Gravestone also does a good job at protecting our onions and also doesn't mess up our manabase at the same time.
    That's fair. I like the card not only as a bin outlet but just because it helps churn past cards in a way that ponder does not here like it does for storm. Brainstorm is likely the solution to all problems and so I can see justification for moving away from the excess outlets like careful study and unmask.

BG Living Wish Tin Fins on camera. Looks fucking sick, draw with Grisel, Wish for Children, draw more, Wish for Labman, draw more and win. Hope a list gets posted soon, this looks too fun.

Anyone found that living wish Decklist yet? If so, please post. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zllig View Post
    BG Living Wish Tin Fins on camera. Looks fucking sick, draw with Grisel, Wish for Children, draw more, Wish for Labman, draw more and win. Hope a list gets posted soon, this looks too fun.
    Wasn’t me on camera today, but I created the deck. I’m clone103 online, you can look up my latest 5-0 lists. The deck was featured on channelfireball’s deck of the day about a month ago. I’m currently 6-2 in the GP (started 6-0 with no byes). The list I’m on currently:

3 griselbrand
    3 hexmage
    1 children
    4 entomb
    4 exhume
    4 shallow grave
    1 unburial rites
    4 thoughtseize
    1 unmask
    4 living wish
    4 dark ritual
    4 led
    4 petal
    3 Depths
    3 stage
    3 polluted delta
    3 v catacombs
    2 swamp
    2 bayou
    1 scrubland
    2 urborg
    2 swamp

Sb:

1 children of korlis
    1 griselbrand
    1 hexmage
    1 Laboratory maniac
    1 loyal retainers
    1 necrotic ooze
    1 Depths
    1 stage
    1 karakas
    1 sejiri steppe
    3 silent gravestone
    2 pithing needle

Just saw that kenji Tsumura 5-0d last week with my exact list from the CFB article. Looks like he tweeted about it and recorded on YouTube. I’m stoked and honored!

Edit: watched the matt Nass feature match. Looks like he might be on the exact list I got my last trophy with and the one from the CFB article: https://www.channelfireball.com/arti...depths-legacy/

Necrotic ooze is my new tech against Needle naming Griselbrand. It’s been pulling its weight. Rec sage sounds good in theory to blow up a blood moon with dd in play, but honestly dragon stompy is a good matchup already believe it or not. Chalice on 1 isn’t even that strong and hexmage can put it to zero at a key moment (chalice on 0 is actually worse, but you play out your stuff first then blow the hexmage). Ensnaring bridge folds to labman. Sphere of resistance out of stuff like lands is the real problem and Rec sage is far too slow to beat that. Been loving the ooze.
    Last edited by Jblinder; 04-07-2018 at 02:35 AM.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Soooooo for those interested in any of the Magus of the Mind shenanigans we were talking about... new thread is posted in N&D here:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...e-Griselbrand)

IMO (and a few others), it's built differently enough and plays different enough from Tin Fins to warrant it's own thread and primer. So here you go. If Tin Fins just wasn't degenerate and show-boaty enough for you, come join us in the Bizzaro Stormy thread. :)
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Came back to the Tin Fins thread after not checking in for months to find chatter about the Living Wish version after seeing it on stream, and now I see this Bizzaro Stormy list too?

This is supremely unhelpful before European EW and Birmingham...

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

I will type up a full report sometime soon, but I went 5-4 at the STG Worcester Open on Saturday. I punted the first and last round. I had the kills, but didn't see it in my hand until it was too late. That's what happens when you haven't played in a big tournament for over a year. I went with a reactive sideboard, and I only used 5 cards all day. So on Sunday, I decided to only play in the first Legacy Challenge due to time constraints with my buddy. I also wanted to just have some fun and burst onions. I should have taken this approach on Saturday because I had so much fun. Everyone stopping to look and cheer for DD is always good fun (except for my opponent). I had a lot of compliments all day, and in only 4 rounds had LM, ToA, & EtW kills in games 2/3. I lost the third round, but I had the kill game 2 after winning the 1st and didn't see the Petal in my hand that I needed. I was pleased with 3-1, and I am going to stick with a DD sideboard. I know Emmy doesn't love LED, but he saved me in several games during the weekend. So after a bit more tweaking and hating the card disadvantage Unmask gives in games 2/3, here's my current list:

// 6 Creature
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Children of Korlis

// 12 Instant
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave

// 21 Sorcery
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Cabal Therapy
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Unburial Rites (Props to Jblinder)
    2 Exhume (Props to Jblinder)

// 7 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond

// 14 Land
    2 Badlands
    2 Swamp
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Verdant Catacombs

// 15 Sideboard

1 Exhume
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Stronghold Gambit
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Massacre
    1 By Force
    4 Doomsday
    1 Laboratory Maniac
    1 Shelldock Isle
    1 Act on Impulse
    2 Edge of Autumn

Sideboarding:
    -3 Griselbrand, -2 Thoughtseize, -2 Exhume, -1 Unburial Rites
    +3 Doomsday, +2 Edge of Autumn, +1 Act on Impulse, +1 Laboratory Maniac, +1 Shelldock Isle
    Last edited by scottpou; 04-10-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Mar 2015
    Finland

@scottpou, I'm not familiar with Doomsday piles, but wanna share what kind of piles you build after the sideboard and how they work out? I'm guessing something shelldock isle + emrakul shenanigans.

Thread Information