Page 168 of 174 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,360 of 3476

Thread: [Deck] TinFins 3: Return of the Onion Burst

Re: [Deck] TinFins 3: Return of the Onion Burst

Gotta get that Zombie spirit guide eventually...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by structuremole View Post
    Gotta get that Zombie spirit guide eventually
    As I'm laying in bed reading this ... why can't we just use Simian Spirit Guide and a manamorphose in a BR build?

Quote Originally Posted by scottpou View Post
    As I'm laying in bed reading this ... why can't we just use Simian Spirit Guide and a manamorphose in a BR build?
    As far as manamorphose goes, it by itself does not add a whole lot of value. It can fix mana sure, but I've never found myself being color screwed by the deck. Mana screwed, sure, it's a greedy 75 typically, but color fixing is already fine. Sometimes people will argue things like manamorphose put you at a 56 card deck, which is true, but when evaluating mulligans it can easily be misleading. It is a random card already and could blur the line away from an obvious keep/mulligan.

Simian Spirit Guide, I have played in the past, and has been fantastic. I have only moved away from it to play a little more disruption, 4 chancellors/8 discard spells. But SSG isn't wrong necessarily. It really pushes things towards the belcher speed of things.

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

Having a SSG or two would ease any confusion on what to sacrifice your LED for preactivation on Gris. Burnt Offering was definitely win more, I preferred the 3rd LED over it.

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

Played a bit this week and got to discuss with some friends. Trying to minimize dead draws in game 1. The Labman line has been win more in main.

// Creature (5)
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Children of Korlis

// Instant (12)
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave

// Sorcery (22)
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Exhume
    1 Unburial Rites
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Unmask
    2 Gitaxian Probe

// Artifact (7)
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal

// Land (14)
    2 Swamp
    2 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    1 Gemstone Mine
    2 Arid Mesa
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Wooded Foothills

// Sideboard (15)

// Sorcery (12):
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 2 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Exhume
    SB: 1 By Force
    SB: 1 Reverent Silence
    SB: 1 Massacre
    SB: 1 Act on Impulse
    SB: 4 Doomsday

// Creature (2)
    SB: 1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    SB: 1 Laboratory Maniac

// Land (1)
    SB: 1 Shelldock Isle
    Last edited by scottpou; 05-05-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Played a bit this week and got to discuss with some friends. Trying to minimize dead draws in game 1. The Labman line has been win more in main.

// Creature (5)
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Children of Korlis

// Instant (12)
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave

// Sorcery (22)
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Exhume
    1 Unburial Rites
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Unmask
    2 Gitaxian Probe

// Artifact (7)
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal

// Land (14)
    2 Swamp
    2 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    1 Gemstone Mine
    2 Arid Mesa
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Wooded Foothills

// Sideboard (15)

// Sorcery (12):
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 2 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Exhume
    SB: 1 By Force
    SB: 1 Reverent Silence
    SB: 1 Massacre
    SB: 1 Act on Impulse
    SB: 4 Doomsday

// Creature (2)
    SB: 1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    SB: 1 Laboratory Maniac

// Land (1)
    SB: 1 Shelldock Isle
    I like this list the most of all that you’ve posted. I think maxing on non-sb exhumes is important. You want to be as combo-dense as possible. Land base seems strange to me but it might be important for the sb plan?

How have you been liking the 4 cabal therapy? I think a 2-2 split with thoughtseize would perform better. Drawing one of each and being able to lead on ts is usually going to be better than 2 therapy, and ts is less awkward post board where missing on a ct (with a much more varied set of problem cards to name) can be game-losing.

Like the unmasks; like the brutalities. Something about a 2-2-2-2 split on all the discard spells appeals to my ocd senses.

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jblinder View Post
    Land base seems strange to me but it might be important for the sb plan?
    Against certain opponents and hate, I have gone T1 Burning Wish, LED, Doomsday so I have no hand on purpose because of their deck. Pile is usually Shelldock, Emmy, Gemstone, Dark Ritual, Doomsday. Turn 2 Shelldock into Emmy (deck at 3). Turn 3 Gemstone, Tap (2 counters) play Emmy. Take additional Turn 4, pick up Dark Ritual, tap Gemstone Mine (counters to 1 and let it mana burn) swing with Emmy (opponent is only on Turn 3) to usually wipe the board. My turn 5, pick up last card DD, tap gemstone for B, no counters into graveyard, Ritual, DD to put gemstone, ritual, doomsday pack into library and swing with Emmy as much as you like. It's a loop. This is not a good default pile! I'm just saying I have used that line before and having the 1 GM enables it while not really hurting the normal plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jblinder View Post
    How have you been liking the 4 cabal therapy? I think a 2-2 split with thoughtseize would perform better. Drawing one of each and being able to lead on ts is usually going to be better than 2 therapy, and ts is less awkward post board where missing on a ct (with a much more varied set of problem cards to name) can be game-losing.

Like the unmasks; like the brutalities. Something about a 2-2-2-2 split on all the discard spells appeals to my ocd senses.
    I have been debating the 2/2 TS, CT split for a couple of days. If I was going to a tournament, I would probably be doing this. However when just playing with friends and knowing their decklists, 4 Therapy is very nice.

However when just playing with friends and knowing their decklists, 4 Therapy is very nice.
    I call BS. You can't play this deck AND have friends. I tried.

Jul 2016
    Toronto, Ontario

Woah, what a transition within the last 2 years. When I left legacy, I topped with Mentor/top and painter/grindstone playing esper fins. I'm digging this new no blue, a lot cheaper to get back into it. Quick answer: why the switch?

I'm going to try the above list next week locals. Excited to try this out! Anything to note or check out? I'll report back as much information as I can next week
    Legacy:
    Tin Fins
    Belcher

EDH:
    Animar

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Waveboy124 View Post
    When I left legacy, I topped with Mentor/top and painter/grindstone playing esper fins.
    I mean you could just remove 4 Griselbrand, 4 Entomb, 4 Shallow Grave, and 3 Exhume to make the board whatever you want including Monastery Mentor.

Quick answer: why the switch?
    I always liked Pomegrant's lists and wanted to play a full Burning Wish sideboard. I also hated getting blood mooned so I decided to go BR instead. Not sure if anyone else is actually playing BR over BU.

I'm going to try the above list next week locals. Excited to try this out! Anything to note or check out? I'll report back as much information as I can next week
    Couple things. I love Doomsday, but understand that it is not for everyone and probably suboptimal. So if you run a reactive/normal sideboard, I would consider something like this:

4 Griselbrand
    1 Children of Korlis

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave
    3 Exhume
    1 Unburial Rites
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Unmask
    2 Gitaxian Probe (Flex spots)

3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal

2 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    2 Swamp
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Verdant Catacombs

// Reactive Sideboard

4 Silent Gravestone
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    2 Empty the Warrens
    1 Exhume
    1 By Force
    1 Reverent Silence
    1 Massacre
    1 Stronghold Gambit

Other Sideboard Options (just off the top of my head):
    Magus of the Moon
    Blood Moon
    Shattering Spree
    Stone Rain
    Pyroclasm
    Anger of the Gods
    Cave-In
    Dreadbore
    Never // Return
    Cruel Edict
    Bontu's Last Reckoning
    Rain of Tears
    Unmask

9 times out of 10 crack your LEDs for BBB before another Griselbrand activation. Leave your petals to crack for the R that you'll need mid-combo. If you remove the 2 Probes, I would add 1-2 of Thoughtseize, Therapy, CoBr, Unmask, Night's Whisper, Gamble, Tormenting Voice and/or Cathartic Reunion per your preference and meta. Silent Gravestone works great and is the whole point of running Shallow Grave and Exhume. We can still play through it (like bizarro stormy). Do not be afraid to make 10+ gobs 1st turn if it's there, especially against grixis. This is a similar play to TES and is why I'm running more than 1 warrens in the board. Stronghold Gambit is in the board for Lands, so flex that spot if you don't play against Lands. The bayou's are only in there for Abrupt Decay and Reverent Silence. However, those 4 slots in the board could easily be other things. So if you take those 4 out of the board, you can just do 3 Badlands and 3 Swamps. I just really like having the Burning Wish, Reverent Silence, cast for free line of play for enchantments like RIP and LotV. You could also remove 1 Bayou to add 1 Scrubland and leave yourself white options! Hope this helps, and I would love to hear how you perform. Good luck!
    Last edited by scottpou; 05-11-2018 at 10:57 AM.

I mean you could just remove 4 Griselbrand, 4 Entomb, 4 Shallow Grave, and 3 Exhume to make the board whatever you want including Monastery Mentor.

// Reactive Sideboard

4 Silent Gravestone
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    2 Empty the Warrens
    1 Exhume
    1 By Force
    1 Reverent Silence
    1 Massacre
    1 Stronghold Gambit[/CARDS]

Other Sideboard Options (just off the top of my head):
    Magus of the Moon
    Blood Moon
    Shattering Spree
    Stone Rain
    Pyroclasm
    Anger of the Gods
    Cave-In
    Dreadbore
    Never // Return
    Cruel Edict
    Bontu's Last Reckoning
    Rain of Tears
    Unmask

9 times out of 10 crack your LEDs for BBB before another Griselbrand activation. Leave your petals to crack for the R that you'll need mid-combo. If you remove the 2 Probes, I would add 1-2 of Thoughtseize, Therapy, CoBr, Unmask, Night's Whisper, Gamble, Tormenting Voice and/or Cathartic Reunion per your preference and meta. Silent Gravestone works great and is the whole point of running Shallow Grave and Exhume. We can still play through it (like bizarro stormy). Do not be afraid to make 10+ gobs 1st turn if it's there, especially against grixis. This is a similar play to TES and is why I'm running more than 1 warrens in the board. Stronghold Gambit is in the board for Lands, so flex that spot if you don't play against Lands. The bayou's are only in there for Abrupt Decay and Reverent Silence. However, those 4 slots in the board could easily be other things. So if you take those 4 out of the board, you can just do 3 Badlands and 3 Swamps. I just really like having the Burning Wish, Reverent Silence, cast for free line of play for enchantments like RIP and LotV. You could also remove 1 Bayou to add 1 Scrubland and leave yourself white options! Hope this helps, and I would love to hear how you perform. Good luck!
    If you are playing the reactive SB in Burning Fins (and therefore have more space for Wish targets) I would recommend a Reanimate (in addition to Exhume, which is usually better) and a Collective Brutality. Reanimate can be good in situations where you have no Ritual and can only afford the one mana off Burning Wish or to blow out opposing Reanimator decks. It can also be good in spots where the opponent has a Leovold or something in the graveyard that makes Exhume problematic. Collective Brutality is a Wishable discard outlet for Griselbrand and so much more.

Deathmark is the most efficient Wish answer to DRS, Thalia, Canonist and more, but isn't necessary. Just another option.

I'd also consider one Ancient Grudge over one of the Abrupt Decays. It's a beating vs the Chalice decks and is Entombable.

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

Played with a friend tonight against several decks. Ran maindeck 2 cathartic reunion for probes and a sideboard of:

4 Silent Gravestone
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    2 Empty the Warrens
    1 Exhume
    1 By Force
    1 Reverent Silence
    1 Massacre
    1 Stronghold Gambit
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Reanimate

Not sold on the Ancient Grudge, but otherwise it worked well.
    Last edited by scottpou; 05-13-2018 at 12:36 AM.

Site Contributor

Feb 2011
    Sheffield

I’d not played the deck in a while, made misplays, got lucky on occasion, and should have taken different lines at various points. The GP was very diverse (ok, a fair volume of reliable family hatchbacks, but Thalia’s, Burn, various Stompy, SnT, GSZ, loads of Lands, Storm, Aluren, NicFit.... the usual field); felt health despite the DRS numbers.

CFB were efficient.
    The judges better than I’ve experienced before.
    Artists amazing.
    The venue/NEC was as shit as ever.

3 Griselbrand
    1 Emrakul
    1 Child

4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave
    3 Goryo’s
    2 Reanimate

3 TS
    3 Therapy
    2 Brutality

4 Ponder
    4 BS
    4 Probe

4 Petal
    4 Ritual
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    3 Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    4 Delta
    2 Strand
    1 Marsh Flats

SB
    1 Tundra
    1 Plains
    4 Mentor
    2 Bob
    1 Serenity
    1 Defence Grid
    2 Faire
    1 Chain
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Massacre

I didn’t keep a note of what I side-boarded. For U-base decks (Delver, Pile, etc) I’d typically keep 1 Griselbrand and 1 Emrakul, cutting 7-9 cards, bringing in: 2 lands, 4 Mentor & 1-3 Bob/Bounce. On occasion I’d cut 10-11 cards if I wanted Mentor + Bob + bounce (+ Serenity for DnT).

Rnd 1 Kai
    Czech Pile
    Wreaked both games, tight player with the right cards in the right order. SB into Mentor.
    0-2 (0-1)

Rnd 2 Francisco
    RB Reanimator
    G1 I have a read on combo (looks a little familiar), open the disruption hand, cantrip into the cards I need.
    G2 I get my hand stripped, we both stop each other with Therapy / Surgical / Faerie etc... Reanimate Faire and start beating down, finding TS Emrakul for the win 3-4 turns later.
    2-0 (1-1)

Rnd 3 David
    TES
    G1 I have the disruptive hand whilst his is awkward, only getting worse.
    G2 I T1 draw cleanup discard into T2 land + petal. Sometimes you are just fast.
    2-0 (2-1)
    .... and starting to recall the lines of play.

Rnd 4 Sanutu ??
    Sneak and Show
    G1 Yes, Show and Tell resolves. We both picked the same permanent.
    G2 Probes and Thoughtseize into a rushed Emrakul reset. No permanent and 1-2 cards in hand, scoop. Maybe early, but I’d a few lands and several cantrips.
    2-0 (3-1)

Rnd 5 Bevan
    DnT
    G1 Beatdown, into a slow cantrip win via Brutality discard/Thalia.
    G2.... 3 mentors... 3 StP. Sad.
    G3. A slow game cantriping and discarding to stem the bleed. Mentor gets there.
    2-1 (4-1)

Rnd 6 Eduardo
    DnT
    G1 Non lethal board wipe and scoop.
    G2 Many turns of managing the blood loss with chumping and trading Monks. 3-4 cantrips into a Massacre on his 5-7 creature board closed this.
    2-0 (5-1)

Rnd 7 Tommaso
    Mono R
    I’m 99% sure this will be Mono R having been crushed at the Axion event, and with little idea how to win.
    G1 Locked and wreaked, Chalice, Bridge, Chandra...but he only see’s Delta, Sea and cantrips... and 9 times out of 10 I’m on Team America / Delver which is what he sides into.
    G2 Chain, Serenity, and Echoing. I animate fairly early, but brick forcing an attack to D7, get lucky drawing the Child, and play it out drawing the deck over, at plus +48 life getting the scoop.
    G3 The Monk Plan. T1 or 2 Rablemaster, chump a token with Bob at some point early to enable Shallow Grave Bob block Rabblemaster next turn. Buys me a turn to make Mentor, trade off and get there. 3 mana Ponder with no draw is absolutely fair with Mentor and 1-2 Monks in play.
    2-1 (6-1)

Rnd 8 Mikael
    Honda Civic
    G1 Make Griselbrand on 1 life. One D7 found Child, knife-edge to get there.
    G2 Miss-played my Sea into Wastelands allowing DRS to become relevant.
    G3 Disruption into actual reanimate.
    2-1 (7-1)

Rnd 9 Claudio
    Miracles
    G1 He swords but I’ve drawn and draw again.
    G2 Monks get there, I don’t believe he knew they were coming. Claudio was really good, lines I didn’t see to try and stay in it. Bit lucky.
    2-0 (8-1)

Rnd 10 Sebastian
    Czech Pile
    G1 The long way round, gamble on the Hymn maybe right or wrong.
    G2 RTFC !
    G3 I had the land to pay :-(
    .... bit tilted on camera.
    1-1-1 (8-1-1)

Rnd 11 Francis
    Miracles
    The match I didn’t want. Really good player, practiced against TinFins, knows my plans. It’s still hard to combat both angles and I get there in G3
    2-1 (9-1-1)

Rnd 12 Johan
    Affinity
    Deck check, warning, visible sleeve sides to a few random cards. Judge re-checks and approves.
    G1 Steam rolled, Emrakul leaves him 2 threats which he wins with.
    G2 Johan spots (rightly so) identifiable sleeves, judge (same judge)...... SB cards which we did not re-check (not the judges fault).... game loss, really pissed off.
    0-2 (9-2-1)

Rnd 13 Richard
    Honda Civic
    G1 A lot of pressure, a torturous combo at low life.
    G2 He keeps 2x Probe, Surgical, Force, Fluster, Delver and Pyro. Missed lands on his Probes and draw, Mentor gets there. I think the keep was correct.
    2-0 (10-2-1)

Rnd 14 Gullium
    Honda Civic
    Deck check... Game loss ‘Emrakul’... fucking idiot. Seamed harsh if the judge were in the slightest familiar with Legacy...... but my fault at the end. A fair bit more pissed off now.
    G2 T1 Brutality discard, T2 animate.
    G3 All the answers / none of the draws, but he limited my options effectively.
    1-2 (10-3-1)

Rnd 15 Joao
    Czech Pile
    G1 They are very soft G1, might have had DRS but without Delver pressure it’s ineffective.
    G2 Jace ultimately takes over, edicts, ambush vipers, Leo, and counters / surgical.
    G3 I’m tired... I go pre-board combo... nice opening hand.
    2-1 (11-3-1)

Chrome Mox would be nice, but with Mentor I think you need the land. I’d change SB Tundra to Scrubland, and whilst I never needs the Plains for Wasteland, I was glad to have it. Massacre is nuts but a luxury against one deck. DRS without Delver is not really a challenge. Brutality is slow, but leads to a lot more T3 slow burn wins.

Lastly... every opponent was on good form, there to enjoy the GP. Massive appreciation to the five or six judges (and coverage team), in the most polite manner, suggesting that I reconsider the placement of my permanents.

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by alastair View Post
    #28 ... (11-3-1)
    Congratulations on the finish! How did the mix of 3 CT, 3 TS, 2 CoBr feel?

Site Contributor

Feb 2011
    Sheffield

Congratulations on the finish! How did the mix of 3 CT, 3 TS, 2 CoBr feel?
    thanks, good deck choice for the field, but a lot of luck also.

I can’t find a perfect mix, but was happy with 8 + 4 GP. If I was more familiar with the current meta I’d be on 4 CT and 2 TS. Brutality is slow but the interaction with Escalate is priceless and led to more strategic play over T2 into T3/4, not dissimilar to ANT’s approach as opposed to TES. The +2 life on Brutality on occasion drew me 7 cards; the -2 dealing with aggressive creatures, and the two primary problems of DRS and Thalia.

Great work, well done! I was sadly working or would have been there myself. Maybe next time..

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

@alastair Great showing! Good to see the stock Tinfins list do work!
    Tinfins & Bizarro Stormy & Belcher & DDFT
    @acclimation6 on twitter
    Back to back t1 kills at SCG STL 2013:
    https://youtu.be/kk3crCPsNLg

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Acclimation has solved the deck. Thread CLOSED.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Wow, great finish! Sucks about the sleeves and the deck reg. :( Way to represent our lord and savior! Love me some Mentor and Bob in this deck... :D
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

New to the deck, been playing around with a few builds. My goal is mostly to get as many turn ones as I can, a) because it's flashy and b) because that minimizes the time for my opponents to play hate.

This is the list I'm working on:

1 Children of Korliss
    4 Griselbrand

2 Chrome Mox
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual

4 Shallow Grave
    3 Exhume
    1 Unburial Rites

4 Entomb
    4 Ponder
    2 Brainstorm
    3 Burning Wish

2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Unmask

2 Polluted Delta
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp

//SB:
    1 Meltdown
    3 Silent Gravestone
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Burning Wish
    1 Exhume
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Massacre
    1 Reverent Silence
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    2 Collective Brutality

The one thing that's still bothering me is that I'd like to fit gitaxian probe and maybe the last two brainstorms in, but I'm not sure where to make room for them.

Either way, will probably be taking something close to this to the CFB grand re-opening this weekend.

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Zavec View Post
    My goal is mostly to get as many turn ones as I can
    I do agree if you're going for more acceleration 12 land, 2 chrome mox is the more aggressive route. Play LED, Land, Chome Mox/Petal, Exhume / Shallow, LED CRACK is a sexy line of play. For speed you only need 6 discards and not 8. So there is 2 slots opened. When I was running 3/4 Unmask, I ran into pitching problems some matches. Especially with the increased artifact and red for BW. Just something to be considering. Faithless or Careful Study would work better than ponder because you can search and discard same time for only R or U. Faithless just has flashback. Could turn the 2 open and 2 brainstorm into 4 probe for pure gas. I'm only testing the 4th LED with 1 Past in Flames in the 60 again.

Thread Information