Page 13 of 174 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] TinFins 3: Return of the Onion Burst

Re: TinFins 3: Return of the Onion Burst

I have to say, I think this deck is insane. i am currently in the process of building it.
    the one problem is I don't have any thouhtsieze. I realize that this card is a competative staple in most decks and I should get my hands on a playset. that having been said at $60 a pop that isn't happening anytime soon.

My question for the developers and the thread as a whole is: what card do you substitute? i realize thoughtseize works double duty in this deck. it has the ability to pull cards from your opponent but also put Griselbrand into your yard for reanimation purposes.

my thoughts for a "reasonable" substitution were one of the following:

4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Duress
    4 Careful Study

thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZimAshe View Post
    I have to say, I think this deck is insane. i am currently in the process of building it.
    the one problem is I don't have any thouhtsieze. I realize that this card is a competative staple in most decks and I should get my hands on a playset. that having been said at $60 a pop that isn't happening anytime soon.

My question for the developers and the thread as a whole is: what card do you substitute? i realize thoughtseize works double duty in this deck. it has the ability to pull cards from your opponent but also put Griselbrand into your yard for reanimation purposes.

4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Duress
    4 Careful Study

thanks for your time.
    Cabal Therapy's and Probes are decent.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Inquisition of Kozilek is a decent substitute for Thoughtseize. However it has its limitations: it cannot take Force of Will nor Mindbreak Trap.
    Cabal Therapy is also a good sub, but has a much higher learning curve and can still whiff. If you play it correctly, it should effectively do the same as Thoughtseize. Playing with Gitaxian Probe also makes this card useful.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
    I kinda like the idea of a SB of hosers.

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [PD3] Cabal Therapy
    SB: 1 [ON] Chain of Vapor
    SB: 2 [RTR] Pithing Needle
    SB: 3 [ARE] Chill/Warmth/White Leyline? Chill has applications vs gobs and doesn't require a splash.
    SB: 2 [CS] Deathmark
    SB: 4 [GP] Leyline of the Void
    SB: 2 [A] Meekstone
    Agreed with .dk that Leylines are probably bad. The deck doesn't need any more dead draws. Also, the graveyard matchups aren't that bad...

I have to disagree with the Chill / Meekstone plan. I don't think the deck will win if it tries to play control against Burn or Maverick because those decks either are more redundant or have better control tools. With Children, the deck can consistantly go off from 14-8 life and if you're that concerned about Burn, just play another Children as a lifegain spell. Meekstone doesn't solve any of the hatebears out of Maverick, so I'm really not sure what it's doing.

Deathmark makes sense though. Other potential options are Slaughter Pact, Massacre, and Disfigure. I like Massacre right now I've been seeing a lot more Mom + hatebear gamestates than Teegs, but it's close. Maverick has always been scary for reanimator, so it makes sense to devote some slots to anti-hate for that matchup.

ZimAshe - try playing 4 Therapies, 2 Duress, and 1 Careful Study. It's not often that I take one of their creatures with Thoughtseize, so Duress is a reasonable replacement, and add in the miser's Careful Study for value.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by ZimAshe View Post

4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Duress
    4 Careful Study

thanks for your time.
    Glad you find the deck fun, and it's getting enough publicity that more people are realizing that. :)

As far as substitutions for Thoughtseize - I would likely change the disruption suite from 4 Thoughtseize 3 Cabal Therapy to 4 Duress, 1 Cabal Therapy, 2 Careful Study or something to that effect (more Therapies if you're familiar with the card, and reasonably confident that you can hit often with it). You still get 5 pieces of disruption this way, along with 3 ways to pitch a Griselbrand from your hand. I don't think you need (or want) 4 Careful Studies though - there are only 4 pitch targets main deck (5 if you're running the full compliment of Griselbrands), so that scenario isn't a regular occurrence.

Gitaxian Probe + Therapy on it's own is pretty sweet too - but I'm not sure if only 4 pieces of disruption is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmuant
    I have to disagree with the Chill / Meekstone plan. I don't think the deck will win if it tries to play control against Burn or Maverick because those decks either are more redundant or have better control tools. With Children, the deck can consistantly go off from 14-8 life and if you're that concerned about Burn, just play another Children as a lifegain spell. Meekstone doesn't solve any of the hatebears out of Maverick, so I'm really not sure what it's doing.
    Have you not had issues with Burn in the past? I've gotten into scenarios where I couldn't go off T1, and ended up in a position where I couldn't actually draw from Griselbrand else I got burned out. Warmth seems better than some number of Thoughtseizes to me in that matchup. Although, now that I think about it, those scenarios may have been before I was running Children...

Meekstone is there to stave off pressure - if you can't go off instantly or you're disrupted and they drop some beater (like RUG can do), you can have a real problem living until you can go off again.

My thoughts anyway - maybe you've had different experiences than I.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Have you not had issues with Burn in the past? I've gotten into scenarios where I couldn't go off T1, and ended up in a position where I couldn't actually draw from Griselbrand else I got burned out. Warmth seems better than some number of Thoughtseizes to me in that matchup. Although, now that I think about it, those scenarios may have been before I was running Children...

Meekstone is there to stave off pressure - if you can't go off instantly or you're disrupted and they drop some beater (like RUG can do), you can have a real problem living until you can go off again.

My thoughts anyway - maybe you've had different experiences than I.
    No major issues with burn. They usually can't deal more than 10 damage by turn 2 and their turn 3 kills are very unlikely. We have some games where we can't go off until turn 4+ even without disruption, but usually those hands will have some discard to serve as Healing Salve. Also, the more they sideboard, the slower their clock gets.

I guess against Thresh meekstone buys you a lot of time, but I would much rather have a spells like Defense Grid that actively helps me win rather than a spell that helps me not lose. I've always lost whenever I've played fast combo decks that position to "not-lose" after sideboarding. It just doesn't work at all with the strategic goal of the deck - sort of like Who's the Beatdown?

Specific decks I would position to be the control against are Belcher variants, TES (because they're explosive and disruption can easily buy a couple turns), Dredge if I have grave have because we have more inevitability if we can Surgical Narcs, and that's about it.
    ANT is pretty hand-dependent on which of you is going to be the control - about equal amounts of disruption vs. dig/combo pieces and similar fundamental turns.
    Traditional Reanimator, High Tide, Alluren, Show and Tell, etc are all positioned to be the control because of Force of Will.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

I'm pretty comfortable with Therapy. I've been using it for a while.

I think for this build i wil go:

3 Cabal therapy
    2 Duress
    1 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Careful Study

Probe and Therapy work so well together it's hard to not have at least a misers copy. Same with Careful Study. and duress will be good against the blue decks and their counter magic.

Edit:
    I can't wait to run this deck against my friends at our Legacy tournament. Turn 2 wins rule! lol

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmuant View Post
    No major issues with burn. They usually can't deal more than 10 damage by turn 2 and their turn 3 kills are very unlikely. We have some games where we can't go off until turn 4+ even without disruption, but usually those hands will have some discard to serve as Healing Salve. Also, the more they sideboard, the slower their clock gets.

I guess against Thresh meekstone buys you a lot of time, but I would much rather have a spells like Defense Grid that actively helps me win rather than a spell that helps me not lose. I've always lost whenever I've played fast combo decks that position to "not-lose" after sideboarding. It just doesn't work at all with the strategic goal of the deck - sort of like Who's the Beatdown?

Specific decks I would position to be the control against are Belcher variants, TES (because they're explosive and disruption can easily buy a couple turns), Dredge if I have grave have because we have more inevitability if we can Surgical Narcs, and that's about it.
    ANT is pretty hand-dependent on which of you is going to be the control - about equal amounts of disruption vs. dig/combo pieces and similar fundamental turns.
    Traditional Reanimator, High Tide, Alluren, Show and Tell, etc are all positioned to be the control because of Force of Will.

Fair enough on the burn matchup. That must have been prior to Children, now that I think about it. I don't think I've played against UR Burn since GP Atlanta, so I'm not even sure how that matchup works.

As far as thresh goes - we're already set up pretty well against counterspells due to the amount of business spells that we have. If they counter the first reanimation - well great, then cast another. What we have a hard time dealing with is pressure - and I think that is where meekstone could be good. Defense Grid actually serves a similar role - it just answers a different part of your opponent's gameplan.

Not necessarily saying that Defense Grid is worse, but if we are already set up ok to deal with countermagic, then maybe having a sideboard piece to deal with pressure is ok? For an answers type board, it seems like a good option to test out to see how it fares. And as an added bonus - it turns off getting waste-locked by KotR.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

@ZimAshe - I would probably go 4 Cabal Therapy, 2 Careful Study, 1 Duress. There are a lot of situations with this deck where you want to be able to ditch something in your hand, whether it's Grizzlebees to combo off, Children so you can reanimate them if you don't have a white source, or Emrakul for a shuffle or the win. We don't need to protect our combo as much as TES or AnT, so I think you want more utility out of those slots than Probe offers.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Ridiculous!
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Ridiculous!
    gonna be packing surgicals and FOWs this weekend!!!!

Ridiculous!
    Quoted for the mother fucking truth. Great job, loved that brainstorm into emrakul against omnitell game three. I'll say it again. JUSTICE.

If you lack thoughtseize, cabal therapy seems good enough. Duress not being able to get griselbrand/emrakul out of your hand is a little relevant, however how often is the line thoughtseize/therapy targeting myself to bin emrakul/griselbrand out of curiosity? Haven't played this deck yet, but I'll probably be picking it up very soon despite lacking thoughtseizes I'll try to borrow some.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

There are a lot of lines of play that start with Therapy or Thoughtseize self to reanimate Griselbrand into a combo turn. I don't think that there are subs for either after playing the deck. Duress is good in SB as additional disruption, but not as multi-prong disruption.

Tin Fins: Return of the Onion Burst -- A deck with so many layers that make the opponent cry for it to stop.

That last game: http://www.twitch.tv/jkory/c/1923236
    Also, going sort of infinite: http://www.twitch.tv/jkory/c/1923262
    West side
    My Legacy stream

May 2011
    New Zealand

What you needed to do was to set up a loop of:

Dark ritual x4, lotus petal, thoughtseize, emrakul and draw 7 infinitely.

If you run low on life, replace a petal or ritual with a child, gain whatever life

This way, you really go infinite. Now I want to play this deck...

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

OK so I did some thing thinking (dangerous.. I know) and I don't think the splash into Sneak Attack is realistic. Sneak Attack as a strategy requires a lot more operating mana than this deck can muster. The plan would require boarding into additional mana sources. Since the SB is the limiting factor, I don't think that transformational SB is valid.

Back to the drawing board.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

That might be true - it's very possible that you want at least 15 lands and possibly a Mox Diamond if you're on the Sneak Attack plan. I have yet to try it while splashing white for Children, so it wouldn't surprise me if supporting 4 colors along with the mana needed for Sneak Attack is just too much of a burden. Still going to try sometime and test, just to see though.

Don't own any cards on MODO, but if anyone is interested in testing on Cockatrice sometime I'd be down.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

This. Deck. Is. So. Stupid.

Last night's stream made me wish we had Felidar Sovereign.
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    This. Deck. Is. So. Stupid.

Last night's stream made me wish we had Felidar Sovereign.
    Felidar Sovereign... who wants to pass the turn? :P

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Yeah I'm going to say Tendrils is a better "you win the game" card.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Thread Information