Page 89 of 174 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 3476

Thread: [Deck] TinFins 3: Return of the Onion Burst

Re: TinFins 3: Return of the Onion Burst

Quote Originally Posted by TraxDaMax View Post
    Lion's Eye Diamond seems decent suddenly.
    Although it makes Emrakul bad.
    LED has been tested already, it is a win more card. I could see running it if you had a Ad Nauseam sb with 4 Infernal Tutors and a Ad Nauseam, but that's about it.

Can we stop bringing up Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time? We have already agreed that it is not worth it in our deck.

I'm thinking of running this deck at Legacy Champs, here is my current list.

1 Children of Korlis
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

1 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Mox Diamond
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Ponder
    1 Reanimate
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Daze
    3 Goryo's Vengeance
    4 Shallow Grave
    1 Tendrils of Agony

1 Island
    4 Marsh Flat
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    1 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea

SB:
    3 Chain of Vapor
    3 Pithing Needle
    3 Silence
    2 Show and Tell
    2 Wipe Away
    2 Massacre

opinions?

I will never support a decklist with 0 LDV. Likewise, 4 Grizz is too many for me as well, and there are the slots for the LDV.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

You probably want some Probes in there as well. I would cut Daze, a Grizzlebees, and a Thoughtseize at the least for 3x Probe.

I'm not as sold on LDV. I played with 1 or 2 for a while, even bought a sweet German Ice Age copy. Always felt lackluster when casting though, and I eventually cut them for more discard outlets and haven't really missed them. On paper it's certainly a good fit for the deck though, so you might want to make some room for at least one and give it a try, see if you like it.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Quote Originally Posted by Mhenlo View Post
    LED has been tested already, it is a win more card. I could see running it if you had a Ad Nauseam sb with 4 Infernal Tutors and a Ad Nauseam, but that's about it.

I'm thinking of running this deck at Legacy Champs, here is my current list.

1 Children of Korlis
    4 Griselbrand

1 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Mox Diamond
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Ponder
    1 Reanimate
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Daze
    3 Goryo's Vengeance
    4 Shallow Grave
    1 Tendrils of Agony

1 Island
    4 Marsh Flat
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    1 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea

SB:
    3 Chain of Vapor
    3 Pithing Needle
    3 Silence
    2 Show and Tell
    2 Wipe Away
    2 Massacre

opinions?
    I find that if I am going to run Daze, I want 4. This is because you want it in your hand to protect against FoW on the Turn 1 or 2 win. You could drop 2 Gris and 1 Thoughtseize to get it done.

Git Probes would be nice in the build.

Dave
    I will Find a way...or make one.
    Check out my wife! http://DanceKitten.com
    Card Carrying Member: Team Mind Trick
    Best.Fortune.Cookie.Evar: \"Among the lucky, you are the chosen one.\"
    Noloam said, "i lost an unloseable game against miracles, where i accidentally tapped my tomb for lethal.."

I run 4 Griselbrand and 8 Discard spells to maximize the chances of getting a Griselbrand into the graveyard, the Daze is another protection spell if you use a discard spell on yourself. I'm not running Probe because I have 8 Discard spells to see their hand, I don't want to be paying that much life and it makes mulligans harder. If you all think I should be running Probes I will definitely switch and see how I like them.

Enchanter
    Oct 2005
    Albany, NY

I'm not currently playing with Probe either, but it could definitely be nifty with Cabal Therapy.
    Draw, play Island, GG?

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
    Tim: I... am an enchanter.
    Arthur: By what name are you known?
    Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
    Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

I run 4 Griselbrand and 8 Discard spells to maximize the chances of getting a Griselbrand into the graveyard, the Daze is another protection spell if you use a discard spell on yourself. I'm not running Probe because I have 8 Discard spells to see their hand, I don't want to be paying that much life and it makes mulligans harder. If you all think I should be running Probes I will definitely switch and see how I like them.
    Assuming that 4 Griselbrand is the best, wouldn't you want at least some number of your Ponders to be Careful Studies then? That card is extremely powerful with critical mass of creatures to draw into and pitch.

But personally, I do like Probe in this deck to be able to know what to do with my Therapies (use them as protection or a discard outlet for Griselbrand).

Also, if you do end up cutting down on your creature count, I would be wary of the sideboard Show and Tells.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Assuming that 4 Griselbrand is the best, wouldn't you want at least some number of your Ponders to be Careful Studies then? That card is extremely powerful with critical mass of creatures to draw into and pitch.

But personally, I do like Probe in this deck to be able to know what to do with my Therapies (use them as protection or a discard outlet for Griselbrand).

Also, if you do end up cutting down on your creature count, I would be wary of the sideboard Show and Tells.
    My list originally started with Careful Study but we don't have enough cards we want to discard. Reanimator has more threats they want to discard than we do. I wouldn't run Show and Tell w/o 4 Griselbrands, the Show and Tells have been good and another reason I like 4 Griselbrand and 8 Discard.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

My list originally started with Careful Study but we don't have enough cards we want to discard. Reanimator has more threats they want to discard than we do. I wouldn't run Show and Tell w/o 4 Griselbrands, the Show and Tells have been good and another reason I like 4 Griselbrand and 8 Discard.
    The difference really isn't that large though. Reanimator usually runs 7 threats to discard, and we could have 5 (or 6 if you include Children of Korlis, which really isn't bad in the graveyard). If you think there is a reason to run 4 Griselbrands, I do think Careful Study is worth a look as Entomb is by far the weakest part of this deck. That can save your discard spells as protection as well, which can be important. Ages ago, in the old old old un-optomized lists of Tin Fins, Careful Study was pretty great as a discard outlet for griselbrand as well as trading things like extra lands or discard spells for more reanimation spells. Is it great? Not really, but it certainly has some merits when running a full set of Griselbrands, in my opinion.

I play two and two grizz and it still often enables a win.

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    I do think Careful Study is worth a look as Entomb is by far the weakest part of this deck.
    Entomb gives you 4x virtual copies of Griselbrand, Emrakul, and Children, with it you have an effective 5+ copies of each. It enables you to cut 2x Griselbrand and barely notice. Card was banned for years because Reanimator was too powerful. This wouldn't be a deck without Entomb.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by DoorDie View Post
    Entomb gives you 4x virtual copies of Griselbrand, Emrakul, and Children, with it you have an effective 5+ copies of each. It enables you to cut 2x Griselbrand and barely notice. Card was banned for years because Reanimator was too powerful. This wouldn't be a deck without Entomb.
    .dk means that Entomb is the most vulnerable part of the deck. It's the one card without redundancy. This deck is very reliant on Entomb, hence the "weakest". We have 8 Reanimation, 9 accelerants, and 12 cantrips; but only 4 Entombs.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Thanks Koby - I suppose I could have stated that better, but I thought it was pretty self explanatory. Oh wells.

Ah, thought that seemed a bit absurd. I read that as a power-level comparison, my bad. Anyway, I haven't played this deck but can see one or two Study as being more practical self-discard.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

After reading over this thread a ton over the past few months, I decided to just buy the last $100 or so in cards I needed to finish this Friday night. I ended up kind of cobbling together a list with cards I wanted in the deck, so what I played was certainly not optimal, but I went 2-1 in my FNM with this:

3 Griselbrand
    1 Children of Korlis

1 Tendrils of Agony

4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Lim-Dul's Vault

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Chrome Mox

4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave
    3 Goryo's Vengeance
    2 Reanimate

4 Cabal Therapy
    1 Duress
    1 Thoughtseize

3 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Scalding Tarn

SB:
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Echoing Truth
    2 Massacre
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Show and Tell
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Force of Will

I had a blast playing it. The deck felt absurdly powerful, and the only match I lost there was against an ANT deck that won the die roll and killed me before I could interact in games 1 and 3.

Even more exciting, though, was the next day. I walk into a GPT and see a room filled with Elves and Jund, with not a single Delver deck in sight. My usual deck, Tezzeret, would probably get steamrolled by that meta. Fortunately, though, I ended up bringing TinFins along to play some games for fun between rounds, and decided to just play it in this mono fair deck meta. The TO announced 5 rounds of swiss with a cut to top 4, and we sat down to play:

Imperial Painter: 2-1
    Burn: 2-0
    Miracles: 1-2
    Miracles: 2-1
    Merfolk: ID

Sneak and Show: 2-1
    Miracles: 2-0

So, a last minute audible ended up earning me 2 byes to NJ. I'll still be playing Tezzeret in the main tournament I think, but TinFins seems (and was) incredibly good in a meta that isn't prepared for it.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    After reading over this thread a ton over the past few months, I decided to just buy the last $100 or so in cards I needed to finish this Friday night. I ended up kind of cobbling together a list with cards I wanted in the deck, so what I played was certainly not optimal, but I went 2-1 in my FNM with this:

3 Griselbrand
    1 Children of Korlis

1 Tendrils of Agony

4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Lim-Dul's Vault

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Chrome Mox

4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave
    3 Goryo's Vengeance
    2 Reanimate

4 Cabal Therapy
    1 Duress
    1 Thoughtseize

3 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Scalding Tarn

SB:
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Echoing Truth
    2 Massacre
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Show and Tell
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Force of Will

I had a blast playing it. The deck felt absurdly powerful, and the only match I lost there was against an ANT deck that won the die roll and killed me before I could interact in games 1 and 3.

Even more exciting, though, was the next day. I walk into a GPT and see a room filled with Elves and Jund, with not a single Delver deck in sight. My usual deck, Tezzeret, would probably get steamrolled by that meta. Fortunately, though, I ended up bringing TinFins along to play some games for fun between rounds, and decided to just play it in this mono fair deck meta. The TO announced 5 rounds of swiss with a cut to top 4, and we sat down to play:

Imperial Painter: 2-1
    Burn: 2-0
    Miracles: 1-2
    Miracles: 2-1
    Merfolk: ID

Sneak and Show: 2-1
    Miracles: 2-0

So, a last minute audible ended up earning me 2 byes to NJ. I'll still be playing Tezzeret in the main tournament I think, but TinFins seems (and was) incredibly good in a meta that isn't prepared for it.
    LOL. DUDE. AWESOME! That's really cool. Congrats.
    I will Find a way...or make one.
    Check out my wife! http://DanceKitten.com
    Card Carrying Member: Team Mind Trick
    Best.Fortune.Cookie.Evar: \"Among the lucky, you are the chosen one.\"
    Noloam said, "i lost an unloseable game against miracles, where i accidentally tapped my tomb for lethal.."

Mar 2013
    Monterrey

Has anyone tested with a single divining top in the main or sideboard ?

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

I haven't tested it, but it didn't seem like a good fit to me in this deck. We don't make a lot of mana to spare, and SDT is really good at being a mana sink. We also don't run a lot of spare lands either. If you do test it, I would be curious as to the results - both if it were useful or not, as well as if it was more useful than whatever card you replaced in the 75 for it.

Whats the advantage of this deck over Reanimator?

I assume its faster g1, but are there certain matchups where this deck just has a better plan? D&T has been kind of irritating to me lately, but I am not sure this deck would have a much better matchup. It seems better vs Kararakas, but worse against revoker/Thalia/GY hate.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by toor View Post
    Whats the advantage of this deck over Reanimator?

I assume its faster g1, but are there certain matchups where this deck just has a better plan? D&T has been kind of irritating to me lately, but I am not sure this deck would have a much better matchup. It seems better vs Kararakas, but worse against revoker/Thalia/GY hate.
    It's faster, and has alternate win-conditions with Emrakul and Tendrils.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thread Information