Thread: [Developmental] Obedience - Void Combo

Jun 2012
    In an orbit dancing circles around you

[Developmental] Obedience - Void Combo

This is a deck I've been working on and might bring to GP Ghent in a few weeks. At this stage it is purely theoretical and I haven't played out any games (other then goldfishing) with it yet due to a lack of testing partners.

I'll present you with the decklist first and will then give a short objectives/strategy overview and finish up with some more card by card analysis. A lot can still change about this deck and of course I welcome your opinions. The combo itself is well-known and has been around since Ravnica block, but I don't believe a serious attempt at putting it in a deck has been tried before. Understand please, that although I play magic for fun, I'm not trying to make this a 'fun' deck, I genuinely want to (and believe it's possible) make this a potent deck for a GP type event.

If anyone can tell me how to link the card-images I would very much appreciate it.

Main Deck:
    Spells [42]

4 Brainstorm
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Defense Grid
    4 Force of Will
    3 Grim Monolith
    4 Helm of Obedience
    1 Intuition
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Lim-Dûl's Vault
    2 Lotus Petal
    3 Misdirection
    1 Pact of Negation
    4 Ponder

Lands [18]

3 Ancient Tomb
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Island
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    3 Underground Sea

Sideboard:

1 Blue Elemental Blast
    3 Chain of Vapor
    3 Defense Grid
    3 Hydroblast
    3 Perish
    2 Thoughtseize

The deck tries to win by activating the Helm of Obedience on your opponent while you have a Leyline of the Void in play. Since you can start the game with the Leyline in play if you have it in your opening hand, this is a potential first turn kill if you an amass 5 mana and have the Helm of Obedience on your first turn.

Although the combo itself is a glass canon much like Belcher, it can be much more compact and has more room for defense in the way of Force of Will, Misdirection, Pact of Negation and Defense Grid. One type of disruption it is still vulnerable to is the disenchant/bounce effects that certain second tier, and even some tier one decks occasionally have. I haven't found a great way combat this yet and as such am hoping to win on speed.

Here is a sample way of getting a turn 1 kill from a possible opening hand:

Helm of Obedience
    Leyline of the Void
    City of Traitors / Ancient Tomb
    Lotus Petal / Chrome Mox (with an extra card)
    Dark Ritual / Grim Monolith (with an extra turn)

- Start the game with the Leyline in play.
    - Play the City of Traitors and the Lotus Petal.
    - Cast the Dark Ritual from the Lotus Petal. (BBB in mana pool)
    - Tap the City of Traitors for mana and cast the Helm of Obedience. (B in mana pool)
    - Activate the Helm of Obedience for 1 and deck the opponent. (which still works even if they have something like Emrakul, Progenitus or Gaea's Blessing in their deck)

Of course it is more likely that you'll need an extra turn or two to get up to 5 mana or to find one of the missing links of the combo. It is also possible that you have the combo and are able to get up to the necessary mana but want to have some protection first.

Although this is a two card combo, there is one card more important then another. It is more important to have the Leyline of the Void in your opening hand then having the Helm. If you can start the game with Leyline of the Void in play, you effectively save 4 mana from your combo while otherwise you still have to spend the mana to cast it. This doesn't mean that you HAVE to mulligan until you have a Leyline of the Void in your opening hand, but it is handy to know while mulliganing that some hands can be a keep just because you have a Leyline where the exact same hand with a Helm instead should be a mulligan.

Combo:
    - Leyline of the Void (start every dredge match-up 1-0 :))
    - Helm of Obedience

Cantrips and ways to find your combo pieces:
    - Brainstorm
    - Ponder
    - Lim-Dûl's Vault (I play 4 since they are faster then Intuition, can set up more then one card, help you plan ahead for several turns and they help my Chrome Mox to produce black mana to Dark Ritual)
    - Intuition (I only play one since there are only two situations in which you realistically want it (missing combo piece or missing mana acceleration), you can't cast it before turn two and in this deck it is unrealistic to expect to win in the same turn as casting the intuition, which effectively makes it more expensive then Lim-Dûl's Vault.

Fast mana: (some of these cards I've listed together since they have the same function and useability in this deck)
    - Ancient Tomb / City of Traitors
    - Chrome Mox / Lotus Petal
    - Dark Ritual (main way to accelerate Leyline of the Void into play if you didn't have it in your opening hand)
    - Grim Monolith (slower then Dark Ritual, but a better way accelerate your mana over several turns if you're going for a third/fourth turn kill)

Protection:
    - Force of Will / Misdirection
    - Pact of Negation (I only play one since it's most useful while you combo off, but it's very hard to use to protect from discard)
    - Defense Grid

Let me know what you think
    Last edited by LeePerry; 06-24-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: fixed card links

Re: [Developmental] Obedience - Void Combo

How to link cards is explained in the sticky post here.
    The deck has been tried a few times. Did you consider Planar Void and Unmask?

Planar void doesn't work with the helm. (Void removes the card after it has hit the graveyard; leyline is a replacement effect and so the card never hits the graveyard at all. )

Jun 2012
    In an orbit dancing circles around you

Quote Originally Posted by Cero View Post
    How to link cards is explained in the sticky post here.
    The deck has been tried a few times. Did you consider Planar Void and Unmask?
    Thanks a lot for the link to the sticky.

The combo does not work with Planar Void since Planar Void is a triggered effect and not a replacement effect, so the cards still hit the graveyard before they are exiled and they still count as cards milled with Helm of Obedience. But yes I've been looking for another replacement effect similar to Leyline of the Void to make the combo more consistent, but so far I haven't found one, maybe I'm missing some obscure card from the older sets.

Unmask is definitely a card I would consider for the sideboard, but the amount of black cards in the deck isn't very high so I wouldn't play more then two anyway.

Apr 2007
    Somewhere in Germany

I often played this deck by using it as a morphboard of my Necrotic Ooze kombo.

I played also Show and Tell and Emrakul after boarding and only 16 lands, which were quiet enough and you don't need any Chrome Mox. A Playset Lotus Petal semms to be better.

My List after Boarding was often:

4 Lim Dul's Vault
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Force of Will
    3 Daze
    3 Thoughtseize
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Emrakul
    3 helm of Obedience
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Leyline ofthe Void
    1 Wipe away
    2 Swamp
    2 Island
    2 Ancient Tomb
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Marsh Flats
    4 Polluted Delta

I liked to have these both kombos, because Show and Tell also can enable Leyline/helm. As protection Daze/Force/Thoughtseize did also work.

In your list, there is too much manamaking stuff in it. I don't know if this would work in Ghent. If you drop leyline, everyone knows, what you gonna play.

Thread Information