Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cheats at SCG Detroit

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Re: Cheats at SCG Detroit

If the people think your guilty, then you are. No matter what. They will find evidence in every action you did and do.

I say, lets burn that cheating scum. He doesnt deserve to live any longer.

Honestly, let that kid alone. Maybe he cheated on intention, maybe not. He lost his price and gets a huge shitstorm at the moment. That should be lesson enough.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

Awesome!

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

DCI has an intent component to cheating. Mere sloppy play or making a mistake is not cheating.

When you look at your hand, see an extra card that shouldn't be there, then make the decision not to tell a judge - you have now entered the realm of cheating.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

After reading both sides of the story, I don't think the cheating was premeditated. I don't really buy the fact that he "blacked out" about the fact that he shouldn't have Batterskull in his hand, and therefore neglected to tell a judge, but it's certainly possible. I think it was more likely he got nervous and tried to play it off as though he didn't do anything wrong. I don't think he planned to cheat the Batterskull into his hand all along.

However, I am more inclined to completely believe Elden's story (including the "black out") than the opposing narrative that he was a masterful cheat who planned all the mannerisms in an attempt to deceive his opponent. It would take a lot of skill to pull that off, and I highly doubt someone so skilled in that regard would have the balls (and stupidity) to pull the cheat off on camera in a feature match when he was already extremely likely to win the game, especially since the extra Stoneforge Mystic in hand would have rendered it completely unnecessary.

To be honest, if you play magic the one thing you are constantly aware of is your hand and what you can do with the cards in your hand.
    I for one believe there are only 2 possible scenarios in this story. Either he cheated most likely for the thrill of getting away with it (yes, it is possible) or he accidentally picked up the batterskull and decided not to tell the judge because he didn't want to lose a game he really should have won anyway.

Still I'm wondering if you notice the batterskull being in your hand before you draw a card for your turn and you would call a judge. Shouldn't you only receive a mild penalty since the whole situation can be reversed by shuffling the batterskull back into your deck and drawing a card. I'm not a judge but this would mean that if the second scenario occured (which I think is most likely) the damage could easily have been avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    After reading both sides of the story, I don't think the cheating was premeditated. I don't really buy the fact that he "blacked out" about the fact that he shouldn't have Batterskull in his hand, and therefore neglected to tell a judge, but it's certainly possible. I think it was more likely he got nervous and tried to play it off as though he didn't do anything wrong. I don't think he planned to cheat the Batterskull into his hand all along.

However, I am more inclined to completely believe Elden's story (including the "black out") than the opposing narrative that he was a masterful cheat who planned all the mannerisms in an attempt to deceive his opponent. It would take a lot of skill to pull that off, and I highly doubt someone so skilled in that regard would have the balls (and stupidity) to pull the cheat off on camera in a feature match when he was already extremely likely to win the game, especially since the extra Stoneforge Mystic in hand would have rendered it completely unnecessary.
    Again, under the rules, it's still a DQ under Cheating, because Elden didn't declare it. Now, that penalty can be downgraded to a Match Loss by the Head Judge, but either way Elden wouldn't have been in the Top 8.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Yeah, it's the whole not telling a judge thing that turns it into cheating. Everything up to that point could conceivably be a mistake, but it's hard not to notice the extra card of the 1-of card in your deck in your hand...

Thread Information