Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Free Article] So Many Insane Plays: The Parameters of Land Tax in Legacy

Nov 2010
    Seattle

Re: [Free Article] So Many Insane Plays: The Parameters of Land Tax in Legacy

Batterskull has been the best kill card for me so far.
    "If you're playing Storm in Legacy, you need to believe that what your deck does is better than what their deck does."

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Mine's been Elspeth. Mainly because I run Humility and Moat though. The tax doesn't really come into play other than the later turns. Not much need for draw early on. I wanted to abuse it in the later turns where it's easier to set up the engine.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I posted this from the Parfait Thread:

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As for the actual Tax/Rack Parfait build, I ran a Parfait Build at the local store this Friday. It wasn't a big event, just a random Friday night thing. I did win enough store credit to get a Commander Pre-con (I got the Zedruu the Christmas Goat one).

Here is the list I ran:

10 Snow-Covered Plains
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Chrome Mox

4 Land Tax
    4 Scroll Rack
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Argivian Find
    1 Smokestack

3 Trinisphere
    3 Ghostly Prison
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Terminus

3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Batterskull
    1 Goblin Charbelcher
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard:
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 Cursed Totem
    3 Grafdigger's Cage
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Aura of Silence

Match one: U/R Delver

G1: I win the dice roll. I go for the turn 1 Stoneforge Mystic (Stephanie) (via a Mox that I can't remember). I didn't have Land Tax, Scroll Rack or Tutor. Stephanie gets hit by Chain Lightning. Since my opponent had Volcanic with him, I first assumed that he was on Canadian Thresh. I topdeck Scroll Rack next turn, Scroll into a Tutor for a Land Tax. But I cannot get my draw engine active since he won't play more land ( I am hoping to draw/Scroll into Trinisphere). He eventually gets a double flipped Delver of Secrets with permission backup. (I tried StP three times and a Terminus). I later then realized he was just running U/R Delver because of basic lands. Goblin Guide got there for the win.

Side: +4 Leyline, -1 Smokestack/-1 Jitte/ -2 Terminus

G2: I go for the turn 1 Scroll Rack via City of Traitors. His was a Delver. Turn 2 I Scrolled into a Swords to Plowshares which met a Daze. I later get enough mana (via City of Traitor and Moxen) to get an active Belcher. Belcher deals with Delver and resets my Scroll Rack. He then Shattering Sprees my Belcher and Rack. I then resolve a Trinisphere which met a second SSpree. I topdeck an Argivian Find and use it to get my Belcher back. I then resolved a second Trinisphere ( I had two in my hand from the previous Scroll Rack activation). I hater then resolve Belcher and deal with his Grim Lavamancer. His burn cannot race my Belcher since he is slowed by Trinisphere.

G3: I goes land go. I go for turn one L.Tax which met a Force of Will. I go for a turn 2 Stephanie which gets Lightning Bolted. I then resolved a turn 3 Scroll Rack and activate it on turn four. I main-phase tutor for Land Tax and resolve a 3sphere. I then go for a second Stephanie which grabs a Batterskull. She eats another bolt but I had enough mana off of Moxen and City of Traitors to hardcast Batterskull. Batterskull protected with Trinisphere got there.

1-0 (2-1)

Match two: CounterTop Thopter

G1: I win the dice roll but I ended up mulling to 5 after having a land-flooded 7 and a landless 6. I Tutor for Land Tax on turn one and Land Tax resolves on turn 2. Unfortunately, my opponent has a active Counterbalance + Sensei's Divining Top by turn 3 and by turn 5, he has a active Jace the Mind Sculptor. I scooped at that point.

Side: +3 Phyrexian Revoker/+2 Aura of Silence/ -1 Jitte/-1 Terminus/-2 Prison/-1 Humility

G2: I go for the turn one Land Tax which met a Force. His turn one was a SDTop. On my turn two I resolve a Revoker naming SDTop. I then resolve a turn 3 Stephanie grabbing Batterskull. He then scoop as he was land-screwed.

G3: I resolve a turn one 3sphere. Then for the next 8 turns, I drew into 4 lands and 2 Moxen. He eventually gets a Counterbalance by turn 3. I tried resolving a Land Tax but he blindflips a Swords to Plowshare with Counterbalance. I then resolve Stephanie but it gets StP. I though this was fine because next I can hardcast a Batterskull as he was tapped out from casting a Thopter Foundry. Then next turn, he had a second StP for the Germ token. He then had Sword of the Meek. I eventually scooped.

1-1 (3-3)

Match three: Mono-red Goblins:

G1: He wins the dice roll and goes for the turn one AEther Vial. I go for a turn 2 Stephanie. I think he is land screwed as he is not playing lands (that or someone told him I was running Land Tax and he wanted to play around it). I get a turn 3 Batterskull and Tutor for Ghostly Prison. He later scooped when I resolved a second Prison.

Side: +3 Revoker, -3 Thalia

G2: I mull to 5. His turn one Goblin Lackey connects and drops a Ringleader. On his turn 2, he drops another Lackey. I then drop a turn 3 Stephanie to grab a Jitte. He attacked and I let it go through. He then drops a Siege-gang Commander and used it to get rid of Stephanie. On turn 4 on the face of 8 goblins I topdeck a Terminus. It bought me some but his Goblin Ringleader chains into another Ringleader and a bunch of Goblins and Ringleaders eventually get there.

G3: I go for a turn one Land Tax which met a turn one Vial. I then resolve a turn 2 Rack via City of Traitors and I scrolled for useful cards. My City gets Wastelanded (he now doesn't have lands). I then go for a turn 3 Stephanie for a Batterskull. I later resolve a Revoker on his Vial. He ended up not having non-basic lands on the field (and was unable to play his hate). He tried making blockers for the Batterskull but eventually ran out and was unable to deal with Batterskull in time.

2-1 (5-4)

Match four: Dredge

G1: He wins the dice roll. He mulls to 5 then goes for a turn one Careful Study dumping a Golgari Grave-Troll into his graveyard with something else. I go Land go. He then Dredges into Ichorid and Narcomoeba. Turn two I resolve a 3sphere (via City of Traitors). He starts attacking me with Ichorid. I resolve a turn 3 Ghostly Prison which made him scoop.

Side: +3 Grafdigger's Cage/ +3 Revoker/ -4 Land Tax/ -1 Smokestack/-1 Scroll Rack

G2: He goes for a turn 1 Putrid Imp. I go for a turn 1 Grafdigger's Cage. goes for a turn 2 [cards]Nature's Claim/cards] on my Cage. On my turn two, I go for a 3sphere. He responded with discard. He dredges into crap next turn while I follow up the 3sphere with Prison and Revoker naming Imp. I then get an active Rack which dug me another Cage. He didn't scoop since he wanted to see my deck, little did he know I sided the Land Tax package out. I got there with Stephanie with Batterskull.

3-1 (6-4)

I got top8 won store credit.

--------------------------------------------
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Thread Information