Bryant Cook

Cook’s Kitchen - GP Atlanta Results & Analysis

Article

Enjoy.

Banned

Jul 2012
    Away

Re: Cook’s Kitchen - GP Atlanta Results & Analysis

The Goblin list was wrong. All those do nothing Thalias and Drakes against a meta of RUG and Grisselbrand. I figured that had to be the case since many Standard builds of Goblin decks did extremely well there.

Simple Jack Daniel's
    Apr 2009
    San Diego, CA

I felt like Tragic Slip was a solid call in the zombies deck--most creatures in the format have a small ass right now (this is also obviously why people are running Darkblast again too), and it synergizes well with Goblin Bombardment. Though I agree that it's weird that he's running one and not zero or several.

Other than that, nice read.

One question; what did you make of the TA list that Jesse Hatfield and Dan Signorini were running? My first impression was that it was way cool, but that maybe the deck was a little warped to include Temporal Mastery (I personally would never have run that many cantrips in a deck--but obviously it worked for them).
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Terramorphic Expanse combines well with Urborg, tapping all over the place for black mana and then BOOM you fetch a Plains and blow them out with Ramosian Rally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post
    Man, why won't the Rock just go away? It doesn't even have any friends.

Like, you know that feeling when you are walking outside and you step in dog shit?
    Thats the exact feeling i have when my opponent opens with Land, Mox diamond, Dark Confidant.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by coraz86 View Post
    (I personally would never have run that many cantrips in a deck--but obviously it worked for them).
    The Canadian list from Gaudenis Vidugiris run 1 more cantrip (11) than this T.A. build. I don't see the issue.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Of course he has to take out Thalia when he brings in Sulfur Elemental. You wouldn't leave Thalia in against Maverick anyway.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    Of course he has to take out Thalia when he brings in Sulfur Elemental. You wouldn't leave Thalia in against Maverick anyway.
    Which is why I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by coraz86 View Post
    I felt like Tragic Slip was a solid call in the zombies deck--most creatures in the format have a small ass right now (this is also obviously why people are running Darkblast again too), and it synergizes well with Goblin Bombardment. Though I agree that it's weird that he's running one and not zero or several.

Other than that, nice read.

One question; what did you make of the TA list that Jesse Hatfield and Dan Signorini were running? My first impression was that it was way cool, but that maybe the deck was a little warped to include Temporal Mastery (I personally would never have run that many cantrips in a deck--but obviously it worked for them).
    I didn't care for their deck. Temporal Mastery is just awful, it's too much time and dedication in order to play an partially controllable Time Walk. Not to mention playing forests with Tombstalkers makes me cringe. I have nightmares about my Tombstalkers becoming Submerged. Although, they did have a low forest count in their deck, sometimes it's inevitable to play that land. There are circumstances where that mana is needed and Tombstalker is put on top. Not to mention the extra draw spells and Mastery are taking away counterspell/disruption slots in a combo metagame.

I'm not sure wtf was going on in that Goblins list. The Thalia I can accept, that card is pretty techy. But it's got some bad synergy with MD Pyrokinesis. However, I'd never be caught dead playing three colors and twenty lands. The Blue wasn't even needed. Why play Gilded Drake when you can play more Stingscourgers? Sulfur Elemental? Goblin Sharpshooter is a little better against Maverick and multiples are crazy good. Regardless, it looks like this Goblin comeback is in full swing. I hope people don't play Sawyer's deck though.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    I'm not sure wtf was going on in that Goblins list. The Thalia I can accept, that card is pretty techy. But it's got some bad synergy with MD Pyrokinesis.
    Why does everyone keep saying this? So it costs 1 instead of 0 now... big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Why does everyone keep saying this? So it costs 1 instead of 0 now... big deal?
    Because it's true...? He was trying to take the deck in too many directions, Thalia and PK are good against different decks and play poorly together. The difference between 1 and 0 is huge.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Thread Information