Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BUG Necrotic Ooze

Re: BUG Necrotic Ooze

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    I'm still of my same opinion that there are just too many 1-ofs that are only good in the graveyard plastered to Ooze.
    And I still contest that these creatures are good on their own. They're not individually the strongest options available, but goyf doesn't do any cool tricks that Ooze can use either.

I'll concede on three easily- that Grim Poppet is a "don't lose" card; Oona's Prowler is a flyer, but more often a side-out card against a lot of decks; and that Sturdy Hatchling is a speed bump most often. But the other creatures (excluding Squee, which is a recurring piece of cardboard and not a "battlefield critter") do work whether or not they are on the field or in the yard, exclusion to rule is Cinderhaze Wretch, which is a duplicate effect of Devoted Druid to dodge GY hate (the piece to remove in all scenarios is Morselhoarder, but folks keep going for the Druid or Wretch...)
    I'll concede on three others as off color - Spikeshot, Kiki-Jiki, and Mogg Fanatic. Kiki-Jiki will never get cast. Mogg and Spikeshot only if desperate for a chump blocker. Or, if I know the opponent doesn't have any tricks, still make infi mana with Ooze, cast Spikeshot, still combo out.

Jarad's Orders are an on color version of Gifts Ungiven, with less flexibility and at sorcery speed. Given the option, Gifts Ungiven seems better. That said, Grisly Salvage is much better than Mulch- instant speed, 1 card deeper, options of what to bring to hand if anything.

10+ creatures aren't needed for Ooze to be good, a combo of three creatures plus Ooze can end most games (two if Ooze isn't sick from summoning.) The high variety of creatures makes it so not having Ooze still leaves me in a position to win the game.

The deck is supposed to play loose, which is I know, antithesis of how most Magic is thought of. The high variance leads to flexibility.

For some of the snark in other threads about Legacy dying, Modern is crap, this is a skill intensive deck to play. When to eschew an Ooze combo and just attack with what you have. Which creatures are better for pitching versus casting to trade with opponents.
    Last edited by ahg113; 10-10-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: wasn't done rambling

Re: GRUB Necrotic Ooze

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Is it just me or is a deck focused on Necrotic Ooze just begging for Fauna Shaman and Birthing Pod?
    The creatures casting costs are all over the place. The main combo, Druid+Morselhoarder+Spikeshot is 2, 6, 1. Ooze is a 4. Plus, I never plan on casting Spikeshot for it to be on the field to sack into a 2 drop. Birthing Pod is a build around card, and I chose Ooze to build around instead.

Since I'm trying to get things into the yard, CC was never a concern.
    Last edited by ahg113; 12-28-2012 at 05:18 PM.

I'm excited because I plan on playing in the Philly PTQ tomorrow. Here's the list I plan on using-

Creature
    3 Necrotic Ooze
    3 Fauna Shaman
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Lotleth Troll
    2 Devoted Druid
    1 Morselhoarder
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1 Cinderhaze Wretch
    1 Griselbrand
    1 Thornling
    1 Sturdy Hatchling
    1 Civilized Scholar
    1 Scrib Nibblers
    1 Oona's Prowler
    1 Spikeshot Elder
    1 Fulminator Mage
    1 Mogg Fanatic
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

Artifact Creature
    1 Grim Poppet
    1 Molten-Tail Masticore

Instant
    3 Gifts Ungiven
    3 Grisly Salvage

Enchantment
    2 Zombie Infestation

Sorcery
    2 Unburial Rites

Land
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Woodland Cemetery
    1 Watery Grave
    1 Temple Garden

Basic Land
    4 Swamps
    4 Forest

Side-Board
    3 Timely Reinforcements
    3 Nature's Claim
    3 Beast Within
    2 Ground Seal
    1 Wickerbough Elder
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Withered Wretch

Hopefully I won't just waste $30, and I'll be able to gloat about how awesome this pet deck is, most likely, this will not be the case.

A serious question though- I obviously am not a fan of graveyard hate, but can and have played through it to win. As an anti-anti-tech card, does Leyline of Sanctity make more sense than Ground Seal? I'm seeing less of the targeted removal and more of the Relics & Crypts. However, casting a double white is just something this deck isn't really geared to do, 4 > 2 and Ground Seal not only is a cantrip, but it shuts off Snapcasters and Deathrites. Thoughts?

Cheers,
    at least it will be fun

Oct 2012
    Arlington, TX

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    I'm excited because I plan on playing in the Philly PTQ tomorrow. Here's the list I plan on using-

Creature
    3 Necrotic Ooze
    3 Fauna Shaman
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Lotleth Troll
    2 Devoted Druid
    1 Morselhoarder
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1 Cinderhaze Wretch
    1 Griselbrand
    1 Thornling
    1 Sturdy Hatchling
    1 Civilized Scholar
    1 Scrib Nibblers
    1 Oona's Prowler
    1 Spikeshot Elder
    1 Fulminator Mage
    1 Mogg Fanatic

Artifact Creature
    1 Grim Poppet
    1 Molten-Tail Masticore

Instant
    3 Gifts Ungiven
    3 Grisly Salvage

Enchantment
    2 Zombie Infestation

Sorcery
    2 Unburial Rites

Land
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Woodland Cemetery
    1 Watery Grave
    1 Temple Garden

Basic Land
    4 Swamps
    4 Forest

Side-Board
    3 Timely Reinforcements
    3 Nature's Claim
    3 Beast Within
    2 Ground Seal
    1 Wickerbough Elder
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Withered Wretch

Hopefully I won't just waste $30, and I'll be able to gloat about how awesome this pet deck is, most likely, this will not be the case.

A serious question though- I obviously am not a fan of graveyard hate, but can and have played through it to win. As an anti-anti-tech card, does Leyline of Sanctity make more sense than Ground Seal? I'm seeing less of the targeted removal and more of the Relics & Crypts. However, casting a double white is just something this deck isn't really geared to do, 4 > 2 and Ground Seal not only is a cantrip, but it shuts off Snapcasters and Deathrites. Thoughts?

Cheers,
    at least it will be fun
    Deck looks fun. Let us know how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post

Creature
    3 Necrotic Ooze
    3 Fauna Shaman
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Lotleth Troll
    2 Devoted Druid
    1 Morselhoarder
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1 Cinderhaze Wretch
    1 Griselbrand
    1 Thornling
    1 Sturdy Hatchling
    1 Civilized Scholar
    1 Scrib Nibblers
    1 Oona's Prowler
    1 Spikeshot Elder
    1 Fulminator Mage
    1 Mogg Fanatic

Artifact Creature
    1 Grim Poppet
    1 Molten-Tail Masticore

Instant
    3 Gifts Ungiven
    3 Grisly Salvage

Enchantment
    2 Zombie Infestation

Sorcery
    2 Unburial Rites

Land
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Woodland Cemetery
    1 Watery Grave
    1 Temple Garden

Basic Land
    4 Swamps
    4 Forest

Side-Board
    3 Timely Reinforcements
    3 Nature's Claim
    3 Beast Within
    2 Ground Seal
    1 Wickerbough Elder
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Withered Wretch

Cheers,
    at least it will be fun
    This deck has piqued my interest but I have a few questions about it
    1. Why so many different infinite Ooze combos? It seems like either you would set one up and win or your first one gets disrupted and you lose before you can get to another one. It seems like you want either Morselhoarder + Druid + Spikeshot/Invoker because it can win in the face of removal or you want Kiki Jiki + Mogg Fanatic because it's only 2 cards.
    2. A one-of Scrib Nibbler seems completely pointless
    3. So does the one-of Oona's Prowler
    4. People are unlikely to use MB Surgicals so it seems very odd to have a 1-of maindeck Cinderhaze over another Devoted Druid when the Druid is so much more useful to actually cast (or just use another card entirely). I think if you're worried about grave hate postboard then you need to have some sort of transformational sideboard plan instead of just playing 1 different card for Surgical protection
    5. Why no overgrown tomb(s) MB
    6. The Fulminator Mage seems really odd because I can't imagine you ever want to sacrifice an ooze once you have it in play, although I guess you can just find it with Fauna Shaman and cast it
    7. I think you need some sort of maindeck Deathrite hate because the most popular deck in the format plays 4 of it and so do a host of others because it's a good card on its own and it just does so much more against this deck than most

Re: BUG Necrotic Ooze

PTQ Philly Shaming

There should've been a booby prize, then it would've been better. I came in last for those that didn't drop through the finish of 8 rounds. 8 rounds - 2-6. With one no-show win, I beat Eggs 2-0. My loses were split, 3: 1-2, and 3: 0-2. In my loses, I typically won the first game by turn 5 or 6, then brutally lost to hate in games 2 & 3. Notes are sparse, still getting use to recording and playing at the same time.

Rd 1 vs. Ian, Kiki-Pod
    Game 1, me on play, him mull to 6 - The life totals ended up at Me 16, Him 14 before I combo with Ooze (Hoarder, Druid, Elder) - T4 Probably played a Lotleth Troll or Zombie Infestation as a discard outlet. He had played a Cannonist, 2 Birds and a Noble.

Game 2, me on draw (kept crap hand) - I didn't know what he was playing yet (thinking Bant, Naya, or 4c). He applied early pressure and kept it going. The ultimate play was a Linvala off of chord of calling. Pretty much reason to scoop, as I hadn't added any Beast Within for the game. By going the beats route, I did get him to 8 life before croaking.

Game 3, me on play (kept ? hand, no note) - life totals got to M - 10, H - 6, and he combo Kiki-Pod for the win. I had a Beast Within in hand, and obviously picked a sequence too late in the chain to disrupt his combo, but it was a close game. We were both just counting down to who could combo first.
    0-1; 1-2

Rd 2 vs. Zach, GW Beats
    Game 1, me on play - I take beats to 14 before combo on turn 5. I use Ooze with Kiki, Druid and Thornling in the yard. He hadn't taken damage yet, and cast 2 Birds, a Noble and a Qasali Pride.

Game 2, him on play - game gets to M - 12, H - 16, his damage is mostly self inflicted with sac & shock lands. Beaten down with Loxodon Smiter and Wilt-Lief Liege. And it was a sad day.

Game 3, me on play - he had a Relic which makes life tougher, but popped it with still leaving me many options. Unfortunately, he played a Linvala just before my critical turn and I get locked out effectively. M - 7, H - 16 Seriously considering Leyline of Sanctity here, as I am a hater of Relic, what seems to be the most used gy hate.
    0-2; 2-4

Rd 3 vs. Michael, Jund
    Game 1, him on play, mulligan - I take beats to 5 before combo (maybe turn 4/5) with Ooze, using Kiki, Thorn and Mogg Fanatic. He was at 17 at combo.

Game 2, him on play - stupid beats. Game ends with him at 15, prolly self inflicted.

Game 3, me on play - due to early disruption, I lose this game. Snagging things like Grisly Salvage put me in a bind with not a lot of good plays. Before death, scoreboard was M - 9, H - 12
    0-3, 3-6

Rd 4 vs. Mitch, Reanimator something
    Game 1, him on play - beats, lose to something reanimated. M - 4, H - 15

Game 2, me on play - durdle with Ground Seal, nerf DRS, win with Kiki and Druid combo via Ooze. Fauna Shaman is discard outlet.

Game 3, him on play, me mull to 6 - This one was there for the taking, and I punted it away. The game was at 12 - 12 and with Fauna Shaman I go get a creature, that should've been Withered Wretch, but instead is something irrelevant. I've opted to switch to beat down for this game. At my eot, he Gifts for Rites and Elish, which basically means he wins. Had I grabbed the Wretch, I could've nuked that plan because I had a mana open... too many options, lost site of what would hurt me.
    0-4, 4-8

Rd 5 vs. Billy, Eggs
    Game 1, I win on T6'ish with a Kiki Druid Ooze combo

Game 2, after much gnashing of teeth and grinding of gears, the Eggs player had two turns of mind numbing boredom but ultimately fizzled both times. He had gotten me to 14 before he scooped to damage on board. He had went to 18, 17, 12, 9. During his first attempt, he got about 3 cycles in and asked if I wanted to scoop, to which I calmly replied, I'll wait, let's play it out. I don't think he expected opponents to have the patience to wait that out. I wish more people were playing Eggs...
    1-4, 6-8

Rd 6 vs. Matt, no-show
    Rd6.5 vs. Sam, Reanimator (for non-fun types of great fun)
    G1 - Lost to Elish
    G2 - Lost to Iona (unsideboarded)
    G3 - Lost to three DRS, I had two DRS. Jiminy-Crickets that guy is tough...
    2-4, 8-8

Rd 7 vs. Shawn, White Enchantment Control (Shawn is a friend of Sam from the previous round and knew what I was playing before hand. I saw him playing against my Eggs opponent and knew somewhat his deck before we started.)

Game 1 - Lost in the face of sooo much hate. 2 Suppression Fields, a Ghostly Prison, the new Enchantment that is Ghostly Prison X, where X = number of enchantments. He then cast a Consecrated Sphinx and... onto game 2

Game 2 - More of the same, but this time I got him down to 12.
    2-5, 8-10

Rd 8 vs. Tom, U/W control Beats

Game 1 - Yeah, even if I were mentally there, his deck just rolled me. Nothing much to say.

Game 2 - Ditto.
    2-6, 8-12

It was a decent day, I had wanted to get to .500, and then just played to play. G0t my $30 worth (it did happen, Rd 1, 6.5 and 7 were good fun games. Beating Eggs was just satisfying, against the pilot and the deck. the other ones, not bad, obviously could've been better.) Would make many changes to deck, but not sure what. I'm in love with it's zaniness, but it's weak to hate, and gy hate is around in spades. The Enchantment deck was a novel pain as well.
    I feared playing tribal-aggro and robots, and saw neither. Would've liked to play other combo decks, and didn't play those either. Such is life.

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    This deck has piqued my interest but I have a few questions about it
    1. Why so many different infinite Ooze combos? It seems like either you would set one up and win or your first one gets disrupted and you lose before you can get to another one. It seems like you want either Morselhoarder + Druid + Spikeshot/Invoker because it can win in the face of removal or you want Kiki Jiki + Mogg Fanatic because it's only 2 cards.
    I was a kid in a candy store putting the deck together. It was at first Druid + Quillspike, and Grimgrin + Bloodline Keeper. Seeing as how that required Ooze to stay out a turn, and involved the red zone, I decided against wanting to do that, and attempted to find more non-interactive pieces. Just never knew when to say when. Bloodrite Invoker is a good addition, in my deck it is a similar spot as Molten-Tail Masticore. Masticore included because if in play, acts as a discard outlet.

2. A one-of Scrib Nibbler seems completely pointless
    Scrib Nibbler is another combo, but yes, it is an under performing slot. I liked the application of killing the opponent via another means than damage, hence it's initial inclusion. Casting him as a speed bump with slight disruption was the other appeal.

3. So does the one-of Oona's Prowler
    This is a flier to replace Birds of Paradise as a chump blocker when desperate, and also a discard outlet, akin to Lotleth Troll.

4. People are unlikely to use MB Surgicals so it seems very odd to have a 1-of maindeck Cinderhaze over another Devoted Druid when the Druid is so much more useful to actually cast (or just use another card entirely). I think if you're worried about grave hate postboard then you need to have some sort of transformational sideboard plan instead of just playing 1 different card for Surgical protection
    Not sure of a good transformative sb that doesn't involve yard. But yes, it is Surgical/Extirpate/Memori cide/Slaughter Game protection. In rare instances, he's used to force discard.

5. Why no overgrown tomb(s) MB
    Didn't have access to the card cheaply at the time, didn't want to take too much damage from lands making myself more susceptible to attack and burn, a problem this deck experiences.

6. The Fulminator Mage seems really odd because I can't imagine you ever want to sacrifice an ooze once you have it in play, although I guess you can just find it with Fauna Shaman and cast it
    It's more so to take care of problem lands, Tron in particular. Also, because Modern has a greedy manabase, Mage+Kiki will nuke most opponents land base. If not MD, then SB.

7. I think you need some sort of maindeck Deathrite hate because the most popular deck in the format plays 4 of it and so do a host of others because it's a good card on its own and it just does so much more against this deck than most
    From the PTQ, I'm less in love with Gifts as a Fatty+Rites Tutor, so I'm def inclined to play Ground Seal. That card is obv. a nonbo with DRS, but shuts down the dude hard, plus makes Snappy irrelevant. Also don't have access to Damnation right now, but there were times I wanted that card.

As an anti-anti-tech card, Leyline of Sanctity just looks enticing. It feels overboard to have both Leyline and Ground Seal though.

Would definitely entertain changing the deck around after seeing it compete IRL. Cockatrice gave me some great pyrite. Not sure what's a good sideboard without invalidating the MD and not relying on the GY as much.

Cheers,
    thanks for taking an interest

Thread Information