View Poll Results: Pic your favorite combo -or- combo'ish deck you enjoy the most seeing "go off"

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • Painters stone (U/R -or- Red)

10 5.24%
  • Spanish Inquisition

50 26.18%
  • Ad Nauseam Tendrils

9 4.71%
  • Sneak & Show

8 4.19%
  • Hive mind

4 2.09%
  • The Epic Storm

46 24.08%
  • Belcher

8 4.19%
  • Spiral tide

19 9.95%
  • Combo elves

15 7.85%
  • Dredge

22 11.52%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Combo deck poll

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: Combo deck poll

Doomsday or Solidarity, the latter especially when fighting through Emrakul triggers. :)

Cabal Therapist
    Jul 2010
    Dortmund, Germany

I can not not vote for dredge.
    This man is a truthspeaker! You deserve a beer - if you see me in Ghent, you may present yourself to me as The Speaker of Truths and I will buy you a beer of choice

Apr 2009
    UK

I agree that Solidarity and Doomsday should have been on there. In my view, Solidarity & PSI are the decks to watch. Whenever I play any of those decks at a local tournament, I'm the player everyone is gathering around.

Why is this? Partly because both decks virtually auto lose if they fizzle (Solidarity goes off in response to lethal damage and PSI plays cards that read "lose the game" on them) so there is a great deal of tension. Equally, they are draw dependent (or "non linear") decks that have to improvise to win. Decks that win via controllable conditions (IGG loop, Show & Tell, etc) are less exciting because (absent disruption) the result is known as soon as they start to go off.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Doomsday would be the one I enjoy the most looking at someone able to do that, simply because it requires nuts training.

I can't really vote for Dredge because it's usually my side of the table that has it =P

So with the given options, I'd either vote for Elves, because it's fun to see the table getting flooded with small green dudes while the opponent gets pissed (although sometimes I'm the one pissed), and then SI, because well, if someone is running SI, it's already worth noting. xD
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

My top four (I don't really have a favorite) are: Dredge, Reanimator, Elves and SneakShow, because you can have a good chance with fair decks to beat them (not like all kind of storm decks).

But the winner for me is SneakShow, because I love the face when they realise that their Griselbrand gets stopped by a 2/1 creature that they cheated into play with Show and Tell.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ignithas_ View Post
    But the winner for me is SneakShow, because I love the face when they realise that their Griselbrand gets stopped by a 2/1 creature that they cheated into play with Show and Tell.
    Until they start periodically rotating it by 90°.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Oct 2010
    Kingswinford, UK

Awesome topic, although I fear that raising the awareness of spanish inquisition might make it lose its chief weapon...

ALSO boo no doomsday :D

The Spanish Tunnel King

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Until they start periodically rotating it by 90°.
    SneakShow player aren't that smart. They usually scoop when they see something they don't know XD.

Now on a serious note. With my DnT deck my chances to win against SnT are better than 50% and Phyrexian Revoker is one of the reason and the second is strong removal and disruption, pre and post board. So if he can atack with Griselbrand many turns after a resolved Phyrexian Revoker he was usually lucky or activated Griselbrand at least once.

Watching any combo deck go off is the biggest troll ever. Most of the time you know you're beat, but the opponent has to sit there and figure out if he can kill you with 10 mana floating, 8 storm and hellbent Infernal Tutor on the stack. The worst is therefore High Tide, because they can't even say "IT for IT for Tendrils and kill you?", you're not mathematically dead and they have to play it out.

So naturally I picked Dredge just because everyone hates it, even combo players.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    So naturally I picked Dredge just because everyone hates it, even combo players.
    Truth. I picked my deck, because well..I just fucking LOVE (G)rapeshotting for 50-60 after drawing my deck.

The only reason SI is interesting to watch is because it doesn't fizzle once a year and you're left with the thought of, "OMG, is this it?! Is it actually going to work? Aww, shux, nope."

Dec 2011
    USA

Somehow I knew Bryant Cook would pick TES >^,^< Now if we can just get the hatfields to come on here and give high tide 2 more votes ha ha

I really should finish making spanish inquisition myself, noone would expect it at the local metagames I go to, though I am already known for pushing combo or "wonky" decks like prison stax or pox, i just love resource denial when it comes to my opponent having no lands in play

maybe that's my new goal, just make every combo deck available that's viable in type 1.5, though cherri0s would be lol.
    Last edited by feline; 08-12-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

May 2011
    Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    I really should finish making spanish inquisition myself, noone would expect it at the local metagames I go to, though I am already known for pushing combo or "wonky" decks like prison stax or pox, i just love resource denial when it comes to my opponent having no lands in play
    No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!

Dec 2011
    USA

Exactly lol.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

I agree with Bryant, nothing feels better than pulling off a ridiculous grapeshot. It's also nice to swing with Emrakul and/or Griselbrand on turn 2 but that's not as difficult and it doesn't really feel earned.

Dec 2011
    USA

Yea, the "cheat a bomb into play" combo's don't even feel like combo's.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by The Spanish Tunnel King View Post
    Awesome topic, although I fear that raising the awareness of spanish inquisition might make it lose its chief weapon...
    Well... our chief weapon is surprise. Surprise and Fear. So 2 Weapons. Fear and Surprise.. and Ruthless Efficiency. Three Weapons! Fear, Surprise, Ruthless Efficiency.. and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.

Hmm... perhaps I might need to order us some nice red uniforms. So we can have 5 weapons.

Oh and we board in 15 cards to shore up our worst matchup. Surprise!

EDIT:
    I just read some of the above comments. I don't know how it could be fun watching anyone play AdN as engine. Is auto-pilot storm really that interesting to watch? I can, however, see people picking it because they like playing it.

Also, ask anyone who has actually played with blue against the PSI post-board grind plan. Most people I've encountered or read reports about have claimed its the most fun they've had playing magic in a long time (for both players). Sure TES can showboat with Grapeshot, but the harder combo decks to play, granted they might not be as viable as TES, but they are WAY more fun to watch because going off with the deck is literally showboating.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

You left out Cheerios. I would have voted for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    baghdadbob, you're Team Scrubbad's spirit animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    but they are WAY more fun to watch because going off with the deck is literally showboating.
    That word ^ I don't think it means what you think it means.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

No I definitely meant that. Solidarity? Spiral Tide? Dredge? SI? Way more fun to watch than Ad Nauseam engines. Granted, if you're Grapeshotting through Teeg, then thats pretty boss. Otherwise, meh..
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Cephalid Breakfast should definitely be on here. Watching your opponents reaction to combining two almost useless cards to kill with the Mimeoplasm of all things is the best.

but I gotta show the love for all those topdecked grindstones in the meantime

Thread Information