Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Free Article] 5 Tricky Legacy Interactions

Site Contributor
    Aug 2006
    Arizona

[Free Article] 5 Tricky Legacy Interactions

Link

If there are any Legacy interactions that you find odd, quirky, but otherwise relevant in Legacy, feel free to let us know and we'll cover it.
    Magic: the Gathering players in Arizona, click here!
    @mtgtwin1 on Twitter
    3 SCG Open Top 8s
    GP Denver 2013 Top 64
    GP NJ 2014 110th/4001
    AZMagicPlayers.com Legacy Series Tournament Organizer
    Random Brews/Decks Galore!

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Re: [Free Article] 5 Tricky Legacy Interacitons

I saw your article on Reddit. This is really interesting, especially the Leyline/Bridge and Tinder Wall/Chain Lightning interactions. Pretty simple if you think about it, but they're unusual and unintuitive. Thanks for bringing it up!

Attractive and Successful
    Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

Re: [Free Article] 5 Tricky Legacy Interactions

Loved it. Several of these were unknown to me. Even experienced players can learn something from your easy-to-follow explanations.

Jun 2004
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by hi-val View Post
    Loved it. Several of these were unknown to me. Even experienced players can learn something from your easy-to-follow explanations.
    +1
    Conan, what is best in life? - To crush your enemies, see them driven before you... and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas -> Equipment. Most Affinity players who play Tezzeret or choose not to play it are unaware of this interaction. It's most relevant in the mirror when one Affinity player has Tezzeret and the mirror has an equipped Cranial Plating, and it's also relevant against any opponent who has an active Jitte.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Got some pretty obvious ones, but might list them as well: Magus of the Moon still works under Humility.

Painter's Servant on red/blue removes Sword of Fire and Ice from a creature.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

While it's not an interaction strictly - Scryb Ranger and your opponent. They don't often read it and end up losing to its abilities.

Real interactions:
    Circle of Protection: <color> can be used against Progenitus. Same applies for Burrenton Forge-Tender.
    Maze of Ith can be used on attackers after the combat damage has been dealt during the End of Combat step of the Combat Phase.
    Actions can be taken in the Combat Phase prior to Attackers being declared - like Karakas and activating Mishra's Facotry.
    Players can Stifle Animate Dead's EtB trigger to effectively counter the ability. It will remain on the battlefield enchanting the dead creature.

Show & Tell - this one boggles the mind...
    Clones do not work off Show & Tell if the intent is to copy a creature that would also be put into play.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

If a player casts Phyrexian Revoker, an active Jitte with counters can not kill it. I mean, it CAN, but there is no good opportunity to do so. It's owner does not have to choose the card to revoke until after Jitte's controller's last opportunity to use the counters before it may or may not be revoked.

Added bonus if you use Aether Vial. The opponent does not get any chance to respond once the Aether Vial activation resolves. And that happens Before the Jitte player gets to see which creature, if any, comes out of the Vial.

Double bonus if you tap your Vial @ two counters at every opponent EOT while he has an active Jitte and do not use it. (It is optional to actually put a creature otb.). This is particularly effective when the opponent has already been stung by it. Should he use the counters or not? And it works with other cards too, like Diving Top and Mother of Runes. No chance to respond.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

- Misdirection can effectively counter another counterspell by changing the target to the Misdirection even though it's above it on the stack.
    - Wasteland can target itself with its ability.
    - Replicate and Storm do get around Chalice of the Void (only the spell cast is countered)
    - Cost increasing / decreasing effects like Lodestone Golem or Affinity are added before Trinisphere is checked
    Last edited by Di; 07-17-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Apr 2012
    Amazon Jungle, Brazil

If Golgari Grave-Troll is put in the battlefield from the graveyard, it counts itself as one of the creatures in the graveyard, and then gains a counter for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    - Misdirection can effectively counter another counterspell by changing the target to the Misdirection even though it's above it on the stack.
    - Wasteland can target itself with its ability.
    - Replicate and Storm do not get around Chalice of the Void (only the spell cast is countered)
    - Cost increasing / decreasing effects like Lodestone Golem or Affinity are added before Trinisphere is checked
    I think you meant to say that storm and replicate get around chalice of the void but not the original spell. Otherwise shattering spree would be junk against 3sphere and chalice @1 on the table. The way replicate and storm work is the copies aren't cast, so chalice doesn't trigger. Instead the copies are put directly onto the stack so, again, chalice of the void doesn't trigger.

A weird one that was being discussed on the stormboards the other day is aven mindcensor's interaction with doomsday. Still not sure how that one works, then again I honestly don't care as I never see maverick with mindcensor anymore and if I do, dread of night kills it rather easily same with thalia
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    I think you meant to say that storm and replicate get around chalice of the void but not the original spell. Otherwise shattering spree would be junk against 3sphere and chalice @1 on the table. The way replicate and storm work is the copies aren't cast, so chalice doesn't trigger. Instead the copies are put directly onto the stack so, again, chalice of the void doesn't trigger.

A weird one that was being discussed on the stormboards the other day is aven mindcensor's interaction with doomsday. Still not sure how that one works, then again I honestly don't care as I never see maverick with mindcensor anymore and if I do, dread of night kills it rather easily same with thalia
    Er yes, I meant to say they do mostly get around Chalice, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post

Doomsday
    "Search your library and graveyard for five cards and exile the rest. Put the chosen cards on top of your library in any order. You lose half your life, rounded up."

I THINK it works like this. You take the 4 cards of the top of your library and add you graveyard to that. You now choose 5 cards from among those cards and them remove the rest. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by alderon666 View Post
    Doomsday...

I THINK it works like this. You take the 4 cards of the top of your library and add you graveyard to that. You now choose 5 cards from among those cards and them remove the rest. I could be wrong.
    With the old text, you put you graveyard into your library, and then removed all but five cards.

I'm not an authority, but it's arguable that "search your graveyard and library" is not affected at all by Aven Mindcensor. (A bit like Tallowisp not searching for Threads of Disloyalty.)

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by alderon666 View Post
    Doomsday
    "Search your library and graveyard for five cards and exile the rest. Put the chosen cards on top of your library in any order. You lose half your life, rounded up."

This is how I read the interaction to work given the current templating on Doomsday. I know versions of Doomsday have been printed that basically read "exile your library, then find" so it can be confusing if you're not using the Oracle text.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    With the old text, you put you graveyard into your library, and then removed all but five cards.

I'm not an authority, but it's arguable that "search your graveyard and library" is not affected at all by Aven Mindcensor. (A bit like Tallowisp not searching for Threads of Disloyalty.)
    Old card text is inconsequential. Only the Oracle text is the one used in tournament play. Also, Tallowisp can find Threads of Disloyalty. Just like Windswept Heath can find Dryad Arbor.
    Last edited by Koby; 07-17-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    This is how I read the interaction to work given the current templating on Doomsday. I know versions of Doomsday have been printed that basically read "exile your library, then find" so it can be confusing if you're not using the Oracle text.

Old card text is inconsequential. Only the Oracle text is the one used in tournament play. Also, Tallowisp can find Threads of Disloyalty. Just like Windswept Heath can find Dryad Arbor.
    Unless it was changed very recently, Tallowisp couldn't find Threads since the Aura change. Search for some rulings you'll find it.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Unless it was changed very recently, Tallowisp couldn't find Threads since the Aura change. Search for some rulings you'll find it.
    I stand corrected. Fucking MaRo.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Tallowips: "you may search your library for an Aura card with enchant creature"

Threads of Disloyalty: Enchantment — Aura - "Enchant creature with converted mana cost 2 or less"

So the "with converted mana cost 2 or less" makes the difference? Strange rulings. :/

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I have a deck using Magus of the Moon, Humility, Mishra's Factory, Elspeth, Knight Errant, and Koth all in there at once. Yeah, I'm that guy.

Nothing like powering up Mishra's through a Humility as a Mountain with Koth because a Magus is in play, then pumping it with Elspeth to fly over a Moat and hit them. Then you sit back and see if they can figure out how much damage they took. It's kind of sadistic in a way, but fun.

7 if you were wondering.

The Chain Lightning/Tinder Wall came up at GP Atlanta. It's my new favorite interaction (since Withdraw + copy of Elvish Spirit Guide no longer works)!
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Thread Information