Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What card do you think is good against blue?

What card do you think is good against blue?

Salutations folks,

So whenever a deck is being conceptualized, one of the realistic answers it has to have is for blue. Whether or not that’s maindecking or sideboarding, what are some of the better/playable hate cards for the color?

This is more along the lines of SCD, but a multitude of them in one spot.

Obviously, the best card against blue is Great Sable Stag. But aside from that, what are the reasonable cards to include in SBs, or maindeck? The more applicable the card is against a wider field the better, but limiting blue’s ability to be jerks should be foremost.

Off the top of my head I come up with:

Red
    REB
    Pyroblast
    Blood Moon
    Magnetic Island
    Active Volcano
    Goblin Piledriver

Green
    Choke
    Gaea’s Herald
    Spellbane Centaur
    Carpet of Flowers
    Gaea’s Revenge
    Thrun, the Last Troll
    Autumn’s Veil

White
    Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    Grand Abolisher

Artifact
    Defense Grid

Multicolor
    Spiteful Visions
    Vexing Shusher

What else is out there? Cards like Bloodghast or Demigod of Revenge are good too because they don’t “care” about being countered.

I’m trying to shape up a sideboard in RWB, but am also just interested in general. My meta is heavily blue influenced.

Cheers,
    the more playable the suggestion, the better
    Last edited by ahg113; 07-18-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Questions shouldn't end with periods.

Re: What card do you think is good against blue?

I like Scald in addition to everything you listed.

Personally, I would like a reverse version of Chill for red to hose blue with.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Always liked the 1mana discard effects against blue. Thoughtseize, Inquisition of kozilek, duress and Cabal Therapy

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Given people's shitty fear of Blue dominance, I don't understand why REB and friends don't see as much play as StP. No one's ever been able to explain this particular intangibility of Magic to me; people will rock StP even when it sucks, thinking "oh if it's bad i'll just side it out g2-g3", but people won't do a 4x maindeck REB. What's the fundamental difference between "Creatures are good so play Swords" and "Blue is good so play Red Elemental Blast"?

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Because removing a creature can visibily save your life, while countering a brainstorm does not usually promote board position
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Given people's shitty fear of Blue dominance, I don't understand why REB and friends don't see as much play as StP. No one's ever been able to explain this particular intangibility of Magic to me; people will rock StP even when it sucks, thinking "oh if it's bad i'll just side it out g2-g3", but people won't do a 4x maindeck REB. What's the fundamental difference between "Creatures are good so play Swords" and "Blue is good so play Red Elemental Blast"?
    Glassing over the opinion of people’s ‘fear’ of Blue, there is a fundamental difference between StP and REB. It’s a matter of resources, StP excels in maximum effect for minimal effort. Because the opponent sank resources into a board presence that is now removed, the player using StP is ahead. It’s possible that the StP could be compromised (mom effect, counter, etc.), then there is just a wasted mana. When StP is bad, it will remove a man-land at least, or a token for the heck of it.

Contrary, REB is a dead card against all things not blue. While the destroy blue permanent is very relevant, you’re using your “protection spell” as removal, if it gets countered, you’re SoL. The reason you planned on using REB in the first place is to fight counterspells. If it will be used for protection, the player is set back a turn. For as long as the player has the REB, all of his spells are increased by R. And if the blue opponent has more than one counterspell available to cast, then again the player would be SoL.

But I do like the question of why REB/Pyroblast isn’t maindecked more often if the player is weak to blue.

I also like the single black discard effects. But those tend to be boss against anything not dredge/reanimator.

Cheers,
    there are no natural food stuffs that are blue

I think the more relevant question is: Why is Maverick decent to good against various Blue decks. And how can that be duplicated/translated to other decks. Because it doesn't play specific Anti-Blue cards. I think going down that path is a trap that is going to lead you to playing suboptimal cards, even in boards in an effort to deal with something that isn't the root cause of why you're losing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

I'm currently running 4 Carpet of Flowers in all my sideboards, except in Enchantress, where 3 of them go MD. Card is busted and absurdly underplayed.

Site Contributor

Jul 2007
    Europe

I would add to your list Xantid Swarm, Orim's Chant, Silence.

I'm also with Rizso, discard is very good vs blue as a support + counters / removal / bombs. I can also answer this topic: play BWG Deadguy Ale :) When I played it I had very possitive results vs U.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Hymn to Tourach wrecks Show and Tell but only mediocre against decks that smell like aggro.

The thing that annoys me about searching for answers to blue as a color is that it is usually better at co-opting the very measures that beat it than any nonblue deck. Tarmo is a typical example. Cards that buck this trend extremely hard to find, and usually take a nuanced approach to figure out.

Thalia is stupendous in that role because she does not force her deck to be narrow and gets at the heart of what makes blue tick. Aka she won't work with search and counters.

Life from the Loam is actually an anti blue card albeit slow. Blue decks can use it just fine but the design of such a deck is tricky and relegated to slow control. Blue is usually better off with its usual stuff.

That's about all I can think of for cards not relegated to the SB.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Strategic ways to beat blue:

Redundancy
    Consistency
    Threat density

Zoo, for the most part, is very adept at dispatching Blue decks. The problem with Zoo however is the lack of disruption. Tribal also has good matchups against Blue. Maybe the broad definition of "Blue" isn't sufficient to address properly. Within "Blue" exists three branches - tempo, combo, and control. Fighting "Blue" in the broad sense is a worthless effort because you really need to be able to beat all three varieties. Some decks have a better matchup against say Tempo than against Combo.

What people usually refer to "Blue" in the classical sense is control with heavy counters and some cantrips. We haven't seen this style in Legacy very often in the last 2 years outside of Stoneblade and Landstill-esque variants.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Seedtime screws most counters and brainstorms, you just have to be a boss to play it.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Strategic ways to beat blue:

Redundancy
    Consistency
    Threat density

Zoo, for the most part, is very adept at dispatching Blue decks. The problem with Zoo however is the lack of disruption. Tribal also has good matchups against Blue. Maybe the broad definition of "Blue" isn't sufficient to address properly. Within "Blue" exists three branches - tempo, combo, and control. Fighting "Blue" in the broad sense is a worthless effort because you really need to be able to beat all three varieties. Some decks have a better matchup against say Tempo than against Combo.

What people usually refer to "Blue" in the classical sense is control with heavy counters and some cantrips. We haven't seen this style in Legacy very often in the last 2 years outside of Stoneblade and Landstill-esque variants.
    This is the better version of what I was thinking. Much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

I'm surprised noone has said Aether Vial.
    Needs more goyfs.

If blue were only control ... or only aggro ... or only combo ... it might be easy to answer. But blue is the best aggro color with the best creature, it's the best control color and pairs easily with the best removal color, it also enables all of the (non-belcher) combo decks by salvaging bad hands, protecting with brainstorm and occasionally (as with SnS) protecting the combo on the stack.

The best cards against blue are other blue cards since blue is so absurdly versatile.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Cavern of Souls. Elvish Spirit Guide is useful on its own and also pretty good against decks playing Daze.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

What makes blue so great isnt whats in their own color but rather what they can splash in with duals and fetchlands. There isnt really much successful monoblue decks but rather blue-fetch/dualland decks. What makes Thrun so good against blue isnt just that it cant be countered its also good against both lightning bolt and stp's.

An other card I like against blue decks are wastelands.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Gitaxian Probe. Don't see Force? Drop Emrakul, go.

Oh and Extirpate or Surgical Extraction can be pretty brutal. Hit Jace early with a discard spell, follow up and remove the rest of them.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Quote Originally Posted by CorpT View Post
    I think the more relevant question is: Why is Maverick decent to good against various Blue decks. And how can that be duplicated/translated to other decks. Because it doesn't play specific Anti-Blue cards. I think going down that path is a trap that is going to lead you to playing suboptimal cards, even in boards in an effort to deal with something that isn't the root cause of why you're losing.
    Because it's an aggro deck, and blue has problems with those.
    The land of waiting where the dead sit in their thoughts' shadow, by no moon lit.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Awaclus View Post
    Because it's an aggro deck, and blue has problems with those.
    Uncorrect answers. Because it's an aggro deck where most of the creatures represent a threat providing advantages that has to be removed as soon as possible. Mother of Runes will blank removals, Knight will begin fetching Wastelands, Ooze will take away Snapcaster and Goyf fodder; above all, Thalia will provide asymmetrical slow-down. In this scenario, you can't realistically fight each of them going 1x1 through Counterspells. You need parallel form of heavy mass removal (Terminus) or continuous one (Grim Lavamancer), or eventually you'll just lose to their redundancy.

Zoo is an aggro deck, but a modern blue deck wouldn't have problem crushing it, because all its beaters are vanilla dorks. In fact, it's dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Thread Information