Thread: Nether Void

Apr 2011
    Oslo, Norway

Nether Void

Backstory: A long long time ago (2001) I started playing competative Vintage. At first I didn't do very well with my homebrew mono-black control list, but after netdecking a Nether Void list by Zherbus http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=11836.0 I started crushing my local metagame. The deck evolved including green for deed, and my knowledge and skill with the deck improved. After some time I finished top4 each tournement...

Today: I was flipping through my binder and noticed my old Voids. It would be so fun to play that card again! My goal is to make a Void deck for Legacy as competative as possible. The final result might be tier3, but still I want to try. My meta is competative, which mean blade, rug, s'n's, reanimator, tes etc.

This is my first list:

3 Bayou
    2 Swamp
    1 Forest
    2 Twilight Mire
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Cabal Pit
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    3 City of Traitors

4 Lotus Cobra
    3 Thrun, the last troll

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Sinkhole
    3 Pernicious Deed
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    3 Nether Void
    2 Crucible of Worlds

Card Analysis (both cards in list and cards worth testing):

Creatures:

Lotus Cobra: Testing this. Turn 1 Land, Mox, Cobra. Followed by turn 2 land, Void is really nice. It can even be played through Daze (with fetch or Sol-land).

Goyf: Was in the Cobra slots; might go back.

Dark Confidant: I'm worrid about the life loss. I usally play him in black, but not sure if this is the right place.

Thrun: New toy for void. Still cost 4 under void.

Demigod of Revenge: Has been played in the past in experiental Void list. He still cost 5 under the Void if you stack the triggers in the correct order. (Cast Demigod -> Demigod trigger on stack, then Nether Void trigger on stack -> Nether Void trigger resolves and put Demigod in the Graveyard -> Demigod trigger resolves, putting the Demigod back into play).

Spells:
    Discard: Target discard is probably better then hymn as I only care about cards that my opponent actually can play.

Sinkhole: Not sure about this one.

Liliana: Very good. I have enough situational cards to feed her. Crucible is also nice with her.

Cruicble of Worlds: Can lock people out with Wasteland. Help make land drops late game. Support Mox Diamond.

Deed: Your reset button. The reason forthe previous sucsess for this deck.

Mana
    Dark Ritual: Give you explosive starts, but dead later on. Not sure about this one. Also note that Elvish Spirit Guide better support turn 1 Cobra, and Guide also works under Void or as an occasional beater.

Mox Diamond: Help you keep up. The draw back is negated by Crucible. Bad synergy with Deed, but still worth it I think.

Mishra's: Slow down aggro, free creature under Void, survive Deed, recurable with Crucible. No reason not to run the full set.

Wasteland: Best land destruction in the format.

Cabal Pit: Free under Void and recurable with Crucible.

Urborg: Help the mana with all the colorless sources.

Twilight Mire: Fix double green/black.

Sol-lands: City of Traitors and/or Ancient Tomb enable Nether Void a turn faster. With Ancient Tomb you have to look out for your life total; I wouldn't run it along Dark Confidant. I Currently running City of Traitors and so far I have been able to play around the drawback of sac'ing it.

Sideboard:

Leyline of the Void should probably be in there as it can be hardcast pretty fast if you draw it.

Something to fight aggro. Maybe Jitte and spot removal.
    Last edited by NilsH; 07-26-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Fixed typos and and formated the text.

Me? Aggro Player.
    Nov 2010
    Portugal

Re: Nether Void

Basically a mix of The Rock with Pox (Nether Void versions).

Interesting those 2 decktypes have a lot of raw power and this might have some potential.

Good luck.
    Burn

Pox

Affinity

Aggro Elves

BW Control

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

I think Cavern of Souls hurts this deck very much.

4 Wasteland + Crucible of Worlds, should fix the Cavern of Souls.

but you're right, anyway

Jan 2012
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by JanoschEausH View Post
    So does cheating creatures in with aether vial. So what. There will always be decks that are mainbased answers to others.

Have you given any thought to Braids, Cabal Minion?

Apr 2011
    Oslo, Norway

Quote Originally Posted by JanoschEausH View Post
    You might be right. Caverns was obviously not printed when I play the ancestor of this deck a decade ago. Remember that Void still hits their non creature spells. The only decks I know play Caverns are Merfolk (not always because of Daze), Goblins and Maverick. All of them get hit pretty hard by Deed (not sure if that's enough though).

Quote Originally Posted by ghostfire86 View Post
    So does cheating creatures in with aether vial. So what. There will always be decks that are mainbased answers to others.
    The decks that runs Vial usally curves out at 2 or 3 (except Goblins). Hopefully Deed will clear the board.

To both posters: The inclusion of Deed (replacing Powder Keg) was the thing that pushed the old Vintage version from tier2 to tier1/1,5. Deed is really good in this deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Have you given any thought to Braids, Cabal Minion?
    No. Braids will take the deck in a more prison like direction. That might be good. EDIT: I certainly don't dismiss the idea, but I'll try to take deck in a more aggresive midrange direction. Still if someone would like to explore the idea of Braids I'll be interested in their findings. /EDIT

Currently I'm trying another approach:
    1. Take key cards from the opponent with discard
    2. Play Void and Deed
    3. Clear the board with Deed (x<=3 if Void is in play)
    4. Beat down before the opponent assemble enough mana.

I'll try to test a bit during next week, but rather busy at moment with non magic stuff. :/
    Last edited by NilsH; 07-25-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Thread Information