Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Free Article] Tricky Legacy Interactions - Part 2

Site Contributor
    Aug 2006
    Arizona

[Free Article] Tricky Legacy Interactions - Part 2

Link: Judge! - More Tricky Legacy Interactions

We received amazing feedback with part one, so here's part 2. As with the one before, feel free to mention any odd/quirky interactions in Legacy and we'll try to include it in our next article.
    Magic: the Gathering players in Arizona, click here!
    @mtgtwin1 on Twitter
    3 SCG Open Top 8s
    GP Denver 2013 Top 64
    GP NJ 2014 110th/4001
    AZMagicPlayers.com Legacy Series Tournament Organizer
    Random Brews/Decks Galore!

Re: [Free Article] Tricky Legacy Interactions - Part 2

Regarding Show and Tell and Clone:
    The active player puts his or her creature/whatever into play first. So if the second player puts a clone down, isn't the SnT player's card already in play to copy?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

They both enter at the same time. This is why Gilded Drake had become a semi-popular SB card. It uses a trigger.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    They both enter at the same time. This is why Gilded Drake had become a semi-popular SB card. It uses a trigger.
    Ah, they both enter play simultaneously, but the inactive player can see what the active player puts down before choosing a card to put into play.... Partially simultaneous.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2006
    Arizona

When it comes to things like Show and Tell or Liliana of the Veil's +1, players can put the card they choose face down so that their opponent doesn't gain any information.
    Magic: the Gathering players in Arizona, click here!
    @mtgtwin1 on Twitter
    3 SCG Open Top 8s
    GP Denver 2013 Top 64
    GP NJ 2014 110th/4001
    AZMagicPlayers.com Legacy Series Tournament Organizer
    Random Brews/Decks Galore!

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Try putting Humility via your opponent's Eureka. In case the first permanent he puts is e.g. Terastodon or Angel of Despair, he will be able to actually destroy Humility. Note that this doesn't work if he put any of those creatures into play only after you decided to put your Humility.
    Last edited by Jander78; 07-30-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Fixed tags...
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Ah, they both enter play simultaneously, but the inactive player can see what the active player puts down before choosing a card to put into play.... Partially simultaneous.
    The current player chooses first, then each other player chooses in turn order. A player does not have to reveal the chosen card, so long as it is clear *which* card was chosen. After all choices are made, the cards are put onto the battlefield simultaneously.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Use my Tezzeret + Equipment example! I mentioned this interaction in the thread for your first article, but I guess I wasn't specific and I assumed you knew what I was referring to. I'll give you a context so that perhaps you can include it in your next article.

You are playing an Affinity mirror. You're on game 2, and your opponent has the upper hand. You have more life than he does and bigger creatures to block any alpha strikes, yet your opponent has Inkmoth Nexus on the battlefield with a Cranial Plating attached. With 5+ power and the hit it just took on you, you have one turn left to deal with it. You draw a Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas. It's not a flier, and your opponent is just going to kill you instead of attacking Tezz.

What do you do? You cast Tezzeret. Using the 2nd ability, which reads: "-1: Target artifact becomes a 5/5 artifact creature," you target... Cranial Plating! What happens next is neat: the Cranial Plating becomes a 5/5 creature. That doesn't sound good at first, considering you just gave your opponent another beatstick. However, look at Cranial Plating again. It's now a creature, and you can't equip a creature to another creature. Thus, your opponent's Inkmoth Nexus can still animate itself and hit you for 1 poison each turn, but your opponent is going to need more turns now to kill you with infect or it will have to rely on its new 5/5 to kill you. You have big blockers in the example so you can just protect Tezz for a turn and you can just animate an artifact to neutralize the 5/5 if none of your robots are big enough.

Another highly relevant interaction is using Tezzeret to neutralize an opponent's Jitte. Again, you give an opponent's creature deck a 5/5, but considering the nature of Affinity to have big or expendable blockers, it's worth neutralizing one card that can decimate your entire board if left unchecked.

But please, use this interaction in the next article! It's really uncommon. I use this technique against the Affinity mirror alot and most Affinity players never realize that I could Tezz-Animate their Plating.
    Last edited by Shawon; 07-30-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Nov 2007
    Finland

It was a bit of a letdown, since the first article described really interesting and little-known interactions, while the ones in part two are quite well known if you're familiar with the format.

Something to consider in the future:
    -dredging in your draw step while controlling Sylvan Library
    -phasing out a Batterskull token
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

On the Show and Tell and Clone bit, it might have been interesting if you had elaborated on how it works with Hypergenesis/Eureka.

Jul 2010
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    It was a bit of a letdown, since the first article described really interesting and little-known interactions, while the ones in part two are quite well known if you're familiar with the format.

Something to consider in the future:
    -dredging in your draw step while controlling Sylvan Library
    -phasing out a Batterskull token
    I agree with the second one. Phasing out an equipped token creature is a really cool interaction that almost no one knows about.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

When Stoneblade dominated the Merfolk matchup, I actually tested 4 Reality Ripple to combat Batterskull and Umezawa's Jitte. Yes, I was desperate but it actually worked ok.

Warning: Don't try this on Magic Workstation.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

/me humbly bows

Didn't realize I was being attributed to so many odd interactions. Guess Legacy really is about knowing the cards and how they interact, moreso than having the cards.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    When Stoneblade dominated the Merfolk matchup, I actually tested 4 Reality Ripple to combat Batterskull and Umezawa's Jitte. Yes, I was desperate but it actually worked ok.

Warning: Don't try this on Magic Workstation.
    Can you elaborate on this even more please? Thanks.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Sep 2004
    South Florida

My guess is that he was Rippling the Batterskull, killing the token. When the skull returned from phase it does not cause a new token to appear.

EDIT: Isn't there a charm that does it for u?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

His name is not unknown in these woods.
    Aug 2006
    Area 88

If you phase out a token that is equipped, doesn't the equipment stay removed from the game?
    they haunt minds...

Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9 View Post
    If you phase out a token that is equipped, doesn't the equipment stay removed from the game?
    Yep. If something phases out indirectly (by being attached to something that's phasing out), it can only phase in with what it's attached to. If what it's attached to never phases back in, the indirectly phased thing stays phased out permanently. Tokens never phase back in, of course, because they cease to exist once they leave the battlefield.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Sep 2004
    South Florida

Oh of course! That is a nifty play.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

You learn something new every day. I assume the same phasing rule applies to Auras.

Yes, both Equipment and Auras are attached to things.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Thread Information