Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: First piece of power

Re: First piece of power

I got my first piece of power at a Modern PTQ out here los angeles. After scrubbing out I realized that I, in fact, hated the format and wanted nothing to do with a format without broken stuff. Stack of modern staples later I took home a mox emerald and a time twister.
    westcoast degeneracy

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

A beatup Mox Pearl that was just randomly laying around in a gigantic collection (boxes of cards) I bought from a friend for $50 on my birthday.

peace,
    4eak

My first piece of power I ever owned was my gf buying me a mox ruby for valentines day. However, it took me awhile to get my set of jewelry.

In order:

Spring 2003-Spring 2004
    Bought a Recall
    Bought an Emerald
    Bought a Time Walk
    Bought a Ruby
    Bought a Library
    Sold the Emerald
    Bought a Pearl

Autumn 2006
    Bought a Recall*
    Bought a Time Walk
    Bought a Library
    Traded a Recall for two Workshops
    Traded a Library for a Twister**

Autumn 2007
    Sold a Workshop
    Got an Emerald as a present

Autumn 2009
    Acquired a Time Vault
    Traded a Jet from Alpha
    Traded a Sapphire
    Traded a Jet from Alpha for a Jet from Unlimited + Money

Last two months
    Sold a Pearl; Sapphire; Jet; Ruby; Recall; Time Walk; Timetwister; Time Vault (this was about a month ago)
    Traded a CE Recall for cube
    Traded a CE Twister for cube

So currently there's left:
    Mox Emerald (present)
    Workshop & Library (Cube)

Silly thing is, I never played powered in a vintage tournament

*yes, I had two Recalls at that time. I wanted to sell or trade one of them, but didn't have a scanner, so I left it at my girlfriend's, where her D&D-group found it and responded with "DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THIS THING IS WORTH!!1!

** This was through the internet and is the only power I acquired that wasn't made real-live. Sold some online though. The twister was sent to me in an envelope next to one of those free boomerang-postcards, I still own the postcard, because it was some sort of advertisement for donating-money-to-africa and it said "This card can give a village in Sudan food for a week".

Vulvaapje!
    Jun 2007
    The Netherlands

Back in '94/'95 I had an unlimited Mox Pearl (from my first starter) that none of my cousins wanted to trade because who in his right mind plays white. I eventually refused an offer of 50 guilders from some guy and decided to traded it with someone else for crap worth even less. I'm still angry at the guy I traded it with because he told me 50 guilders was too cheap and then decided to screw me hard. It was my first and last piece of P9.
    Quit playing Legacy but could still play Goblins (Rgw, Rg, Rw, Rb)

ジェームス・ブラウン

I'm staring in the mirror looking at my biggest rival.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Mine's a great story.

I bought a Time Walk for $60. It was an Unlimited, beat to crap, bent on one corner, scuffed, and generally awful looking one. I think it was around Visions or so when I got it.

Eventually, I picked up a beta and sold that old Time Walk for $100. The guy I sold it to traded it off and the new owner needed money and came to me to sell it back. I bought it again.

I traded it once more to someone for something and it went out to the world once again. Now here's the funny part. Lather, rinse, Repeat this 11 times. I owned that poor Time Walk 11 times in all.

Eventually, it got sold on Ebay and I didn't see it again. Somehow it came back to our town and found it's way into my hands once again. After that trip it got dubbed "The Chadwalk" after my name. It's pretty easy to recognize it so I know it was the one and the same. I sold it once more and didn't see it again for around 4 years until an old player who hadn't played in a long time sold his collection to me. And there it was again.

Now that Time Walk sits in my collection permanently. I made a really good color copy of it for a proxy and sent that one out to my friends to pass around. It's funny since that proxy found it's way back to me 3 times now. Truly amazing really.

Drinks to much coke
    Aug 2010
    London Ontario

Back in the 90s I opened a jet saph and pearl then got fleeced the first time I opened my binder at a game store (artifact cop for all 3) but meh I was 12

Bought a lotus a few weeks later when I realized how good fast mana was. My mom then found out I'd spent like 50 dollars on a card, decided it was valuable and made me put it in her jewelry box for safe keeping. Years later It just disappeared. I think my dad swiped/sold it when my folks broke up

In the adult ear of my life I have come to own a walk I bought myself with store credit, a lotus I traded for after 2 years of pack to powering, a twister I got with the money I made altering cards, and a drain & Loa I bought when I was feeling low.

If I had it to do over I might start with a white mox so I could do that we null rod deck with a little more gusto

bruizar

First was ancestral recall

Then time walk,

Then ruby,

Then lotus pearl emerald in one go

Then twister

Already had all the other vintage staples (bazaars, shops, drains, loa, beta time vault, regular time vault).

Traded all of my power for a sick amount of revised duals. Had around 120 duals at the time. Traded a bunch of duals away for legacy foils. Now I am at a point where I own nearly every playable foil x4 and I can play the most fringe decks in legacy that no one would ever invest in because the high value cards are only good in 1 or 2 decks. (think spiral tide/12-post/life/cephalidbreakfast/mud, etc). All of those fringe decks are nearly entirely foiled out, and I can still play with the top tier decks too. The most impressive cards I own are artifacts. I'll post a photo of my artifact collection soon (missing power, but I don't want unlimited power if I acquire power now. Alpha or beta only for me).

The only thing I'm searching for right now are avacyn restored foils, some foil fetch and some more portal 3 kingdoms cards. Missed the boat on beta duals unfortunately.

My first piece of power was a unlimited Mox Jet. I traded for it back in 1993 and gave up 3 Shivan Dragons. At the time this was a fair deal.

Trying to trade into power!!!
    Hit me up if you have any unlimited power that isn't creased. Maybe we can make a deal.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

I bought a collection in 2005 of duals, forces, fetches, unlimited mox sapphire, unlimited ancestral recall? maybe and a playset of mana drains. I proceeded to sell the power to pay rent unfortunately a few years later and got most of the money back from the collection leaving me with a ton of legacy playables so I decided I would get into legacy. I miss owning those cards. I never got a chance to play with them.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

If it's still power even I picked up a library of alexandria last year or something for under 150 although it isn't NM I absolutely love library even though it isn't really power anymore.

If I was to pick up a piece of power 9 the first would be mox jet or timetwister for EDH. Mox jet is because I love the art and whenever I play vintage I always play tendrils based combo so mox jet is an auto include. And I'm not a high roller so it would be unlimited sadly and not alpha or beta.

EDIT: I thought shivan dragon was the biggest money card back then Pharmacist? Because it was literally the biggest creature back then and untapping with it was incredible. And I thought people were trading up to get shivan dragon's in pretty much every trade because the card was so coveted. Although I may be wrong on this. I mean I thought back then that you could trade a shivan dragon for, well, anything you wanted pretty much. Practically everyone back then was casual too, so that definitely helped the shivan dragon's cause as they view moxen as basic lands and they view shivan dragon as gigantic fatty of doom that will kill the opponent in two turns.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Won a Recall at Gnome Games last year.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    If it's still power even I picked up a library of alexandria last year or something for under 150 although it isn't NM I absolutely love library even though it isn't really power anymore.

If I was to pick up a piece of power 9 the first would be mox jet or timetwister for EDH. Mox jet is because I love the art and whenever I play vintage I always play tendrils based combo so mox jet is an auto include. And I'm not a high roller so it would be unlimited sadly and not alpha or beta.

EDIT: I thought shivan dragon was the biggest money card back then Pharmacist? Because it was literally the biggest creature back then and untapping with it was incredible. And I thought people were trading up to get shivan dragon's in pretty much every trade because the card was so coveted. Although I may be wrong on this. I mean I thought back then that you could trade a shivan dragon for, well, anything you wanted pretty much. Practically everyone back then was casual too, so that definitely helped the shivan dragon's cause as they view moxen as basic lands and they view shivan dragon as gigantic fatty of doom that will kill the opponent in two turns.
    Mahamoti Djinn was also a top contender back in the days. One of the few creatures that could kill a Shivan Dragon. Clone / Vesuvan Doppelganger were popular too. I remember getting 4 Volcanic Islands for a Mahamoti Djinn during the days of the revised edition. That was pretty fair back then.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

In my first Magic card purchase ever, a starter of Unlimited in fall of '94, I pulled a Mox Pearl. My neighbor friend who got me started sort of flipped out and I sold him the card for $50. I was in middle school and got the starter at the time for $35 so obv it was a good deal by selling one of my cards for more than what I paid for in the original purchase

Aug 2011
    Italy

My dad bought me my first Magic cards in 1996 with this box:

But it was not until 1998 I actually started playing Magic when I met other kids in the school who had or heard of Magic cards. By then I was already too late to the party. A piece of Unlimited Black Lotus was already $300 and as a 14 year-old, accessing the P9 was just not possible with every meaning of the word. Considering there was not a big Magic scene in my country and the only people who had these cards were at least 20 something year-old guys with deep experience in fantasy related hobbies it was also not imaginable to trade for these cards away from them. And even if I somehow did, who'd have the cards to play with me? So obviously I never got a chance to acquire pieces of power or get involved with Vintage but I kept a shy eye towards the decklists every now and then.

But being a grown-up has its advantages. After a couple of "how to/should I get into Vintage" threads and a "who here wants a Vintage subforum" poll later (also multiple glances at the pimp decks thread and altered ponies) this forum gave me the push I needed to finally pull the trigger on a piece of power. So this year for my birthday I got myself this :

So let's see where it goes from here

Apr 2011
    So Cal

Back in the 90s I managed to trade for an unlimited emerald, but sold it when I sold out and got rid of my collection. Recently, I've begun playing vintage and have started collecting power. This time around my first was pearl followed by sapphire, recall, lotus.

Don't phyresis me, bro!
    Sep 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI

I actually found an Unlimited Timetwister in the nickel card box at the old comic shop circa 1998-99 in high school. Yes, I bought it along with a stack of garbage for approximately $3.00 total. And yes, I did feel at least a little guilty... But hey, not my fault it was lazily left in there.

About 6 months later, I was actually hired at that same shop. Primarily to take charge of the shop's MTG sales, ironically. And I found probably $500 worth of Tempest and Urza block valuables in the same boxes of unsorted junk. I guess there's a reason they needed someone!

I actually don't even know what became of the Timetwister. It probably got lost when I sold my entire collection (regret!) in 2002...

May 2011
    Somewhere around earth.

I don't own any power at the moment. I had a chance a while back (kamigawa block I think) to get my hands on a pair of moxen (Ruby and Emerald, iirc) but at the time I had no interest in vintage, and was taking a break from mtg in general.

I've currently got my "Lotus fund" in a jar right now, though, I'm planing to buy into vintage slowly and it seems the best place to start would be a lotus, since it's the most expensive single card and it goes in every deck anyway.
    Meanwhile I'm picking some unpowered broken things as well, while I add quarters ones and fives to the lotus fund's jar (Up to about 300$ so far :D )

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

My first and only piece of power is a UL Timetwister I got in 1995 with a bunch trade-bait, an Illusionary Mask and Berserk being all thing I remember trading away. From that, I had a U/g/w deck that tried to win by recurring Psionic Blasts... Yeah.

Not really power but I just traded about 25 shocklands for a NM bazzar. :D

Thread Information