Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: First piece of power

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

First piece of power

What was your first piece of power, if you already own it?
    What would be your first piece, if you don't already own?

My first power was a Mox Sapphire that I won through a Legacy tournament at Comic Odyssey in Pasadena, CA. I got to the finals with an old Bant list (with only 1 GSZ, oh myyyy) back in March of 2011, and offered the buyout to my friend Harduvel. From there, I got the "bug" and started on a buying spree that finished in GP Anaheim at the end of May 2012. Now I'm fully powered, and mostly broke.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Re: First piece of power

My first pieces of power were a beat-as-hell Library of Alexandria (it was Power then!) and a creased Alpha Time Walk that I got in 2000 when I was a freshman in high school, which I bought from my friend for $20 and $45 each. No one played with those cards, and he had no interest in selling it on eBay; I didn't have any use for it.

Now that I think of it, I bought a Time Vault from that same friend about a year before that when we were in middle school. But that card was useless then, so I think I sold it pretty quickly (probably back to him again). I wanted more Cursed Scrolls at the time!

Anyway, I traded the LoA and the Time Walk to a store for $180 and 4 Tropical Islands in 2006. I had quit the game and hadn't played for several years, but I knew if I ever were to play again, it would be Legacy. I still didn't want to touch eBay and I figured I'd never use those cards, so I didn't mind losing value on the trade. Probably in my favor now.

I ended up buying an Unlimited Mox Ruby (probably VG) for $225 in 2009, but I ended up flipping that for a bunch of smaller Legacy staples after realizing I wouldn't buy it. It had someone's initials written on it in regular red ink. Eww.

No power right now. Probably not for a while.

Aes Sídhe
    Sep 2010
    Williamsport, PA.

I got my first piece of power a bit under a year ago from a friend of mine that sometimes deals in magic. I'd purchased a mint UL Time Vault at GP Providence with trade credit, and wanted to actually break into the Power Club officially, as opposed to with the "10th." So I gave him a whole big pile of bulk and a few legacy staples, and told him to get me things. He found me a miscut UL Jet, and made up the rest of it in some pimp for legacy. I wasn't sure what to think of the Jet at first since it isn't centered, but it's actually grown on me now to the point where when I see it, I'm sad that it isn't miscut more =D such is life I guess. I recently picked up a minty Library, but again, that's vying for the "10th" slot, so for now, the Jet is all I've got. For now....

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Timetwister dropped pretty hard a few years ago. I was able to pick up a pristine one for 180.00 after shipping. From there it went Pearl > Ruby > Sapphire > Ancestral > Lotus > Time Walk. Still need Emerald and Jet. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

My first and only piece of power is a unlimited Black Lotus.

A birthday gift for my 18th birthday. Its currently framed, haha.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

The very first piece(s) of power I got were a pair of UNL Timetwisters I traded off of a friend when I first got started playing MTG (end of UNL, beginning of Revised).

One of my very early games, I lost through getting milled out by a Millstone and so I wanted to keep looping Timetwisters to keep that from happening!

Traded a Revised Shivan Dragon and Revised Demonic Hordes for the pair of them. I kept them for quite a few years, but ended up trading them off awhile back.

My first pice of power was a Time Walk. It was a Christmas gift from my parents. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    It's a core set, this is essentially bitching about a new Tonka Truck line while owning a collection of actual monster trucks.

May 2011
    Fullerton, CA

My first piece of power was an UNL Time Walk opened in my very first starter deck (which also contained a USea and Sol Ring).

I was swindled out of the Time Walk by a "friend" right before Revised was released.

The only other power I have owned are a couple of Time Twisters and a Library, that I traded away or sold a long time ago. I don't currently own any power, but since I started playing magic again about a year ago I have got into Legacy and am now looking at getting into Vintage.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

I'm trying to decide if I should acquire power first or just go with Bazaars and try and win power however unlikely. I'm pretty sure my wife would not be happy with me buying a set of P9 outright, she's been great about me buying into legacy, and the BoBs will be the least expensive way to a legal deck.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by rxavage View Post
    [...] the BoBs will be the least expensive way to a legal deck.
    As opposed to the least legal way to get an expensive deck...

Sorry, couldn't resist pulling that

I myself don't own any power. People left and right of me got so much power, I usually borrow right about anything. Last Vintage tournament I went to, I somehow couldn't get hold of a Time Vault but some guy whom I had never met before was very willing for me to borrow his one. Great guy :-)
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

My first piece was an unlimited Ancestral Recall. I traded for it back in '95 or '96 (Old Man of the Sea, Diamond Valley, revised Vesuvan Doppleganger), so it has a lot of sentimental value. That was my only power (other than Library of Alexandria when that was still considered the 10th piece of power) until around 2002-3, when I picked up an alpha Time Walk, then Sapphire, Jet, and Ruby (all alpha). I quit playing when the card face changed at 8th Edition/Mirrodin and didn't start again until Zendikar. Over the course of the next couple of years, I got an unlimited Black Lotus and finally finished the alpha Moxes. The last piece was an unlimited Timetwister about a year ago. I also acquired a signed unlimited Time Vault for about $30 back in 2003, which I guess counts as power now.

Dis iz da WAAAGH!
    Jan 2007
    Chicagoland

Unlimited Recall I bought off eBay in '08 I think. I still have it. I slowly put a 20 here and a 10 there into paypal and when it was enough to get a piece of power I pulled the trigger. I remember when I got it in the mail I took a loupe to it and just ran it over for like 5 minutes to see if it was fake. First time I played it was in a 3 player game with my high school friends that I still kept in touch with and the reaction was "I'm really not surprised you went and bought a piece of power."

I just want to say of my P9, Recall, Ruby, and part of the Lotus are the only ones I paid cash for. The others were credit for judging and trade. My Lotus was 200 cash and a few events of judging.
    DCI Lvl II Judge

May 2011
    New Zealand

First piece (I actually got): Mox Emerald, traded in at LGS about... 2 months ago?
    However, First piece I traded for was a Mox Jet traded from MOTL.

Currently have 7 pieces (-mox ruby) + time vault.

Stop looking at my shiny purple helmet...
    Apr 2008
    London UK

I won my first piece of power in about 2004, when I entered an online quiz to will £200 store credit with a UK store. The question was " What is the most printed non-land card in Magic?" Answers on a postcard please...

I bought a Mox Emerald with the winnings and immediately sold it for a profit. Later that year, I bought a Pearl, Sapphire, and Timewalk with some money I came into, and then had to sell them when I had spent the rest of my money and needed to make rent.

In 2007, I started collecting Eternal staples seriously and started buying power. Again, I started with an Emerald, then a Pearl, Ruby, Ancestral, Timetwister, trade up Twister for Sapphire, then Jet, Beta Time Walk, and then my wife bought me an Unltd Lotus for my 35th birthday (best wife ever!!!!!) and then traded my Time Walk for an Unltd Time Walk, Timetwister, and 50 euros. Somewhere in amongst all that, I also pick up my Drains, Library and Time Vault.

It felt so good to turn up to BOM V with my Vintage deck complete and ready to rock!
    "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon

Sep 2008
    Bellingham, MA

So what was the answer to the quiz? Was it Stone Rain? I bet it was Stone Rain.

My first piece of power was from playing Poker. I won a bunch of Standard cards playing 3 handed Hold'em. The guy showed up the next day, saying he needed his cards back. I didn't understand what he meant, and then he put a binder full of Vintage goodness on the table and asked to trade. I gave him back his pile of Birds, Wraths, Uzra's Rages etc... for a Mox Emerald and a Calzone. I had him throw in the Calzone because I knew I'd be telling the story for decades, and wanted the story to have some pizazz to it.

Stop looking at my shiny purple helmet...
    Apr 2008
    London UK

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    Give that man another Calzone!
    "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

My NM- Beta Recall I bought 2ish years ago for 3 Bazaars and a set of Dark Confidants.

-Matt

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post

My first piece of power was from playing Poker. I won a bunch of Standard cards playing 3 handed Hold'em. The guy showed up the next day, saying he needed his cards back. I didn't understand what he meant, and then he put a binder full of Vintage goodness on the table and asked to trade. I gave him back his pile of Birds, Wraths, Uzra's Rages etc... for a Mox Emerald and a Calzone. I had him throw in the Calzone because I knew I'd be telling the story for decades, and wanted the story to have some pizazz to it.
    This is exactly what this thread is about :D
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    This is exactly what this thread is about :D
    The question now is whether or not we need our own Vintage only pimp thread separate from the one containing "Legacy Decks".

The devil on my left shoulder tells me that we need it, but the devil on my right shoulder thinks it's better to shame the non-Vintage pimps in their own thread. (full disclosure: my definition of pimp is different than yours. Also, foils don't belong next to power.)

Site Contributor

Jun 2011

MY first, first piece was either a Lotus or Walk back in '94. Then my ex-wife happened and my wonderful collection was lost to the past.

Currently my first piece was a Sapphire, during Caw-Blade's reign. I traded 4 Force of Will & 3 Jace TMS for it.

At GP Austin I traded my judge comp & gutted my binder for an Emerald, Pearl, and Time Vault.

This past Saturday at a PTQ I picked up a beat to hell Ruby by using the combined judge comp from 2 of my fellow judges.

I hope to be on staff for GP San Antonio so that I can try to get another piece or 2.

Thread Information