Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: First piece of power

Re: First piece of power

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I wanted to share the story of my first piece of power (and making an account was probably long overdue anyway).

I started playing when I was very young, and 4th edition was still on the shelves. My brother and I used to hang out at the local card shop, where we would play our janky piles with the cool older players, and lose horribly. I remember even back then being aware of beta, dual lands, and the power 9 -even though they seemed like some kind of mysterious unattainable myth. I had never seen any power in person, only in the inquest magazines that the store owner let us look through. I didn't think I would ever see one, let alone own a piece.

I played casually for a while, before packing my cards away for years, until I rediscovered them in my last year of high school. I had a couple close friends that I started playing with, and it happened that one of them was super into broken combos (he taught me about prosbloom) and old cards...looking back now it was definitely him that started my love for Legacy. We didn't have a meta, but he had a few dual lands and other powerful cards like Oath of Druids and Gaea's Cradle that he was always beating me with. So I decided to up my game a little. Over the next few years I saved up here and there and collected some duals, Onslaught fetches, Cradles, and other stuff. I wasn't even aware of Legacy then, or even competitive Magic really, but I knew these cards were super good and I wanted to own them. Looking back now, I'm really glad I picked them up when I did.

Anyway, I moved to the 'big city' for university, and soon discovered the tournament scene. It was very small and super casual, but it was a scene with more than two other players, so I was happy. Over a couple of years I started playing small events here and there, and picking up more Legacy stuff. It was around then I discovered The Source, and began reading about Legacy. I had still never played the format, but it seemed like this was the place to be...I was always frustrated not being able to play my dual lands and fetches in Standard. But, I played a little bit of Standard here and there.

When Jace was printed I was playing Standard and as soon as he was spoiled I knew I wanted to play with a set of him. I picked up a set, and ended up building UWr 'Super Friends', which I played at a local event. I did pretty well before getting smashed by Vampires (seriously, that match-up was so hard). Looking back, the deck was pretty cash...it had 4 Jace, a foil Espeth, and 8 blue Zendikar fetches along with Colonnades and paths and other goodies.

After the tournament I thought for a long time about selling the deck before the cards rotated. I knew that I would want to keep the Jaces and fetch lands, but had planned to pick them up again just after rotation. I listed the deck on a local forum.

I didn't get any serious cash offers on it, but there was a guy who said he has a spare Mox Pearl, which he would happily trade for it, with a bit of cash. I hadn't seriously thought about owning power before, but it immediately took me back to that card store when I was young, reading Inquest Magazine and turning Erhnam Djinns sideways. He sent through a scan, and although it wasn't in very good condition, it was power! We made the trade, and I couldn't believe it when it arrived. It was literally a childhood dream come true, and such a rush.

Since then, I have picked up a few more pieces. I bought my Recall around 3 years ago, and a Library and Workshop at about the same time. Just a couple weeks ago I picked up a Sapphire, Jet, and a Time Walk. I would like to pick up the Lotus next, it’s just a matter of finding one for a good price…

At this stage they are all white-boardered which may not be the most 'pimp' but to me they are definitely special. I may attempt a Beta set one day, but I think I'll always hold onto the Mox Pearl I traded for.

And with the mox ruby..

Now let's think if I want to downgrade the walk to unlimited, or upgrade the other pieces..

Nov 2011
    Krems an der Donau, Austria

Signed Time Walk is pretty nice! I like it much!!

After the amazing Eternal Weekend in Prague, I am much more closer to the set of Power!

I've been tempted to post this the past few weeks and am a little surprised no one else has yet

In case there are complaints, here are some analog preciouses for your viewing pleasure

My power story isn't very interesting. I bought a couple unlimited pieces back in 2001. Not all of them showed up because internet auctions were a lot more wild west style back then. Then within a year prices doubled and sold most of my stuff. I made another UNL attempt around 2006 and even managed to upgrade a few moxes to Beta, but then I fell in love and decided to move across the country and everything had to go...

In 2009 or 2010, it's a bit hazy, I hustled up these BB beauties and while the temptation to cash out is at an all-time high, they are incredibly hard to part with.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I'll post the rest soon!

Apr 2014
    phillipines

how much it costs the power9 on MTGO? btw thanks..
    Live and Let Live

Quote Originally Posted by big_ticket View Post
    how much it costs the power9 on MTGO? btw thanks..
    It has varied a lot so far. The top end I saw was about 1100 and it has been down to 500. It has been going back up lately.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
    It has varied a lot so far. The top end I saw was about 1100 and it has been down to 500. It has been going back up lately.
    I wish I wasn't dealing with moving expenses right now... Well, looks like I'll just have to pay more in a couple months, but I plan on buying in.
    Great pictures and stories everyone.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Well I was able to get my online power before the re-spike in prices. I only got Black Lotus, Mox Ruby, Mox Sapphire, A Recall, and Timewalk though, as I sold the rest of my drafts to trade into those.

If you're looking to get in I think the prices are going way up again though so I honestly don't know if now's the time or not. Here's a decent site to track prices (note they mark the average price though, which is really dumb because you can easily sway that number with outliers, and people never buy at the average price when given the chance). http://mtgowikiprice.com/card/vma/4/black-lotus

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

First of the three most expensive cards to my mono-blue collection obtained last Saturday.

...the advance of computerisation, however, has not yet wiped out nations and ethnic groups...

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Nice Offler!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Well I was able to get my online power before the re-spike in prices. I only got Black Lotus, Mox Ruby, Mox Sapphire, A Recall, and Timewalk though, as I sold the rest of my drafts to trade into those.

If you're looking to get in I think the prices are going way up again though so I honestly don't know if now's the time or not. Here's a decent site to track prices (note they mark the average price though, which is really dumb because you can easily sway that number with outliers, and people never buy at the average price when given the chance). http://mtgowikiprice.com/card/vma/4/black-lotus
    I'm quite happy that VMA was extended back to Khans. Hopefully the increased time-period, supply, etc helps continue to lower the price of Power. I think I am going to try and buy in around the end of August.

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

I decided back at the beginning of the year that I wanted to work on getting a set of Power, but I was only going to do it if I was able to get the Lotus first since it was the most expensive and would make it a downhill journey. On February 2/3, 2014, I made this trade with my LGS:

Both are played, but they're real which is what mattered to me.

After that I eventually bought 3 pieces (Sapphire, Walk, Ancestral) from online retailers. After that I decided that I was going to go through my cards and de-pimp my EDH decks and get rid of excess cards I wasn't using to see what I could get with them. Almost everything I buylisted I ended up getting more for it than I paid originally. Some were about the same as what I paid. The hardest things to get rid of were the most recent ones because I enjoyed playing them when I did play them (playset of Judge Recruiters and 3 Cradles). But in the end, my priority was finishing my set of Power, plus I had been playing other decks.

Today, my last piece of Power (Pearl) came in the mail along with some other format staples which leaves me with the following 2 pictures:

The Power:

The Staples:

Aside from the Ancestral, Walk, Sapphire & Key, everything in those 2 pictures was traded for. I still need a Library of Alexandria and a 4th Mana Drain, but those can wait. I'm just glad I finished the main goal of Power + Vault. Eventually, my next major goal will be to get a set of Workshops.

See you at Eternal Weekend 2015 (already have plans this year during that time)!

A great trade for the Lotus / Emerald. I also traded for all of my power to my LGS, and overall I ended up giving much more than you for my Lotus, which looks like yours. When you look at the pic a few years down the line, you'll realize that trade will no longer be possible at all. Apart from Chains/Candles, all the rest can be reprinted and will definitely be.

A nice looking set here, congrats! :)

Here are the rest, and with p9 available online I don't see myself finishing this set.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

That is some CLEAN beta power. Funny how I need a Jet, Emerald, Pearl, Recall, and Walk to finish my set....

-Matt

That is indeed some nice beta power. Big fan. Power online is so much cheaper in comparison where an unlimited ancestral recall costs more than a set of 9 online unless it's foils.

That trade for the emerald and lotus is insanely good for you. Other than candelabra, karakas, and chains all that stuff looks to be pretty irrelevant at least price wise in a few years when it's all being reprinted and lotus is just going up to infinity.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

I found an unlimited mox ruby at my local store at price of around 728 USD. The front is very clean and the back is SP according to Cards Condition at SCG. I don't know if it is a good price or not, because I don't want to buy any power at a high price, so I need your helps....
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinZ View Post
    I found an unlimited mox ruby at my local store at price of around 728 USD. The front is very clean and the back is SP according to Cards Condition at SCG. I don't know if it is a good price or not, because I don't want to buy any power at a high price, so I need your helps....
    With the significant increase in the price of power, that price is reasonable. Assuming that Very Nice translates to SCG SP, you could offer the equivalent of $700 USD.

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

Completed my set yesterday (minus Timetwister, plus Time Vault), will share pictures later. Was feeling pretty mediocre compared to the pimp being thrown around here, after seeing the increased prices I'm feeling like a baller now. VMA did impact the prices afterall..

Edit: Here you go
    Last edited by Higgs; 02-20-2015 at 07:01 AM.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

The quest begins...

I'm about to move to Boston from central IL for grad school and decided to turn my extra legacy stuff and my cube into power to get ready for the vintage scene there! My Mox Sapphire arrived yesterday in the mail and I love it. More is on the way for my Doomsday deck, so I'll upload some pictures when they all get here!

Thread Information