Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: First piece of power

Re: First piece of power

Quote Originally Posted by afb0032 View Post
    Beautiful, your wife did a great job with that mat choice. Congrats on finishing up the black bordered power!

Cheers. I did choose, arrange and pay for the mat. My wife / daughter wrapped it and "surprised" me with it on my birthday :)

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Congrats, KIP! That is a very nice set of cards and playmat!

This mat looks gorgeous indeed, and the beta power isn't too shabby either!

Jul 2011
    California

Quote Originally Posted by dunk View Post
    Is it just me or does this look super fake?
    Apologies for the super late response. Haven't checked the thread in some time obviously. I'm fairly certain it isn't fake, the lighting from the camera does look a bit odd though. It passes the light test, has the correct dot pattern, and has the blue 'dots' on the sides of the card indicating the presence of the blue paper inner layer. If you know of any other tests I can perform without damaging the card I'd appreciate the input.
    Legacy: Miracles

And with this ancestral that is on the way home I'll take my vintage nonfoil pool is quite finished

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Hey fellas. I have four Tabernacles in good shape, four Candelabras in various shape, four unused copies of this thing: Capture of Jingzhou (those silly cards are sold out at $400 a pop at SCG), two Chains of Meph, two Bazaars, and various other expensive cards that I could see myself parting with if I had to. I am wondering if the Vintage players think I would be wise to grab some power to replace them. I have not owned any of it since like '96 or something, and I can't see myself spending cash on the cards. And I am unlikely to play Vintage at all, so I am not in any hurry to acquire the cards. Just wondering about opinions.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Hey fellas. I have four Tabernacles in good shape, four Candelabras in various shape, four unused copies of this thing: Capture of Jingzhou (those silly cards are sold out at $400 a pop at SCG), two Chains of Meph, two Bazaars, and various other expensive cards that I could see myself parting with if I had to. I am wondering if the Vintage players think I would be wise to grab some power to replace them. I have not owned any of it since like '96 or something, and I can't see myself spending cash on the cards. And I am unlikely to play Vintage at all, so I am not in any hurry to acquire the cards. Just wondering about opinions.
    Honestly, to me the answer is clear; would you rather have the ability to play a few fringe Legacy strategies or the ability to play Vintage.
    The thing is though, P9 is super expensive right now. Depending how you sell and acquire, that stack of cards might not be worth a Lotus (assuming NM).
    Owning power is awesome, but it is very expensive to complete. As long as you are comfortable with the fact that you still have 8k worth of cards after you pickup the Lotus, I'd say go for it

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    As stated, the issue is that you should start with lotus and a MP Lotus is 4-5K. Another option would be 4 bazaars which I think will be 500+ by next eternal weekend.

I'd suggest Ancestral + Walk + Sapphire + Ruby and you can build UR Landstill or UR Gush aggro. At least this way you'll have a competitive Vintage deck, not just a random Lotus.

Also, with Dack Fayden in the format, I'd rather not play with full Power.

LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Apr 2008
    Czech Republic

Begin with Lotus.

1) Lotus is the hardest one to borrow from friends
    2) all other cards are crazy cheap! (After you pay for Lotus....)

If you want to play legacy at a vintage event play u/r delver.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    If you want to play legacy at a vintage event play u/r delver.
    And I'm "totally" sure that Delver is up Finn's alley lol

5 color unviable decks or bust

Shops might be up Finn's alley since the prison versions play somewhat similar to Death and Taxes. You don't necessarily need a Lotus in Shops. Five Moxen and 4 Workshops works fine. Pretty sure that pile would trade across for that, or at least come very close.

I would say in general that it's best to start with the Lotus, but it also depends on what you're wanting to play. I started with Lotus and Ancestral because then I could play a functional Doomsday list while looking for a clean Sapphire, Jet, and Walk at decent prices. You could play UR Delver without mana rocks and prioritize Ancestral and Time Walk over Lotus.

But if the ultimate goal is the full set, then I'd start with the Lotus as its price is the highest and the most volatile. Everything feels easier after that.

Anyone not playing lotus is just poor, dumb or bad at math. It's about an 8% chance of having your lotus in your opener ... does it lose value on the draw? I guess but the same can be said for almost any spell. Lotus is the best most versatile card to have for vintage. It should go in any deck that wants mana. Dredge is so laser focused and the spells are typically not meant to exceed 1CC (or are free).

I single handedly lost my 2 matches at Eternal Weekend because my opponent either had black lotus in his opener or went land / crypt trinket mage lotus (i.e. had the lotus to go get). This is a shop players perspective. Please please please please don't have your lotus on the play.

Lotus enables, the straightest storm kills, the most absurd turn one shop plays, land lotus jace which won vintage champs twice I believe, absurd interactions with other cards (bomberman, delve cards, trinket mage). I've watched it in Derp Delver autowin by enabling turn one double pyromancer.

If you want to play paper vintage and you have an opportunity to obtain a lotus in your budget you should start with BLACK FUCKING LOTUS.

Nedleeds is right, get Lotus first. Any deck is better with it. Which brings me to this...

I have a question for you, fellow Vintage aficionados.

What are your thoughts on signed power? I picked up a signed Lotus last year (the only signed card in my power 9) and didn't think much about it. I wouldn't have picked up a signed random Mox, but as the Lotus stands out from the rest, I didn't care much at all. Plus, it was the only copy available locally, so I didn't have much of a choice at the time.

I'm wondering what's the general consensus on signed power, and how it might affect its selling value in the future. I'm planning on keeping it and passing it on to my kids, but was just wondering. I know that for some people, signed cards are immediately HP (akin to sharpied cards) and therefore a no go. Is power, especially Lotus, exempt from such way of thinking?.

Several months/years from now my first power will be a Beta NM BGS 8-9 Ancestral Recall, it will be unsigned/unaltered of course. Followed by two or three beat up Unlimited jewelry, signed or whatever (HP=nobody cares). I'm looking to build quad power Landstill and steamroll those mono (lotus) powered decks who followed nedleeds advice.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds
    It's about an 8% chance of having your lotus in your opener
    I have a greater chance (38%) of FoW'ng your first play.

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

Half a year ago I was talking about how I was selling a bunch of foils in order to afford power. Finally, the first 5 of these sought-after pieces finally made it to me :)

Humphrey is always correct.

Well done, I think those 5 pieces are the most played cards of the P9 now, so this opens many decks for you :)

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Seems wrong to have Cursecatcher next to TimeWalk. Could you take those eyesore commons out and scan the cards again? It would give me warm fuzzies.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information