Thread: Cook’s Kitchen – We have to go back!

Bryant Cook

Cook’s Kitchen – We have to go back!

Article

Standard & Legacies.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: Cook’s Kitchen – We have to go back!

Well, I don't know that this information is exactly something in need of an entire article. But I am perfectly willing to allow for some leeway in my opinions just because Bryant is a guy who has done enough to deserve some special consideration. Besides, I like the idea that a cardinal change in his signature deck should get some element of neon lights. It's nice to have a microphone sometimes.

In a long summer full of doldrums for me, this tiny article was a delightful diversion.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Good stuff. I agree on the changes to both decks. Past in flames is awesome and Empty the Warrens can win games that would've been lost if you hadn't dropped 10 goblins turn 2.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Good article with good thoughts. I like how you're continuously evolving T.E.S. especially with help from the T.E.S. thread.

I also like the rising popularity of Karakas in people's sideboards and how it's more significant than just dealing with Griselbrand but with various troublesome Legends. Cool stuff.

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Hold onto the Karakas, rather than preemptively play it, before bouncing a Thalia/Teeg. Though extremely dope vs. Maverick (unless they deploy one first, of course), I prob wouldn't board in Karakas vs. Reanimator/SnT.

To reiterate, cutting IGG certainly should not be done unless absolutely necessary; it probably should still be in your list.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTrudeau View Post
    Though extremely dope vs. Maverick (unless they deploy one first, of course), I prob wouldn't board in Karakas vs. Reanimator/SnT.
    So if Karakas is in your 75, and when given the option to stop a combo that either kills you in three turns and draws insane numbers of cards (Griselbrand) or shut down half your deck (Iona), you'd rather choose to play the hope game and beat the deck otherwise rather than use the fucking kryptonite? Unless you actually want to lose, then sure, great plan.

Not board in Karakas against Reanimator, good lord. I will not be looking at you for sideboarding advice, sir.

/endrant

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    So if Karakas is in your 75, and when given the option to stop a combo that either kills you in three turns and draws insane numbers of cards (Griselbrand) or shut down half your deck (Iona), you'd rather choose to play the hope game and beat the deck otherwise rather than use the fucking kryptonite? Unless you actually want to lose, then sure, great plan.

Not board in Karakas against Reanimator, good lord. I will not be looking at you for sideboarding advice, sir.

/endrant
    Unless you resolve a Swarm pre-exhumation, the seven cards Elton Brand draws will likely end the game, regardless if it's in play or in the opponent's hand. If a Swarm does resolve before either hits the table, Iona can be bounced/Elton Brand's seven-fourteen cards can just be ignored en route to victory. Hence, don't board it in unless you're certain you have room (which there might be, in which case, ignore what I've said and board it in). Karakas would have been very, very good pre-Elton, certainly, but seems a bit worse post-. TES is not nearly equipped with the same tools that, say, Maverick is, that enable it to ignore the opponent drawing seven cards. I'm not saying Karakas is bad, per se, just maybe not good enough if you're boarding it in as cards six and seven (it very well might be). I could also be wrong in assuming that it's worse than Thoughtseize and Inquisition, in which case it should take precedent over either.

The moral of the story is, I need to get more sleep.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

Jun 2010
    Central NY

I guess I'll be 'That Guy' and point this out... not that it's relevant at all. Just to poke fun.

I've never heard of Mother of Ruins... Where can I find this card?

:P

Thread Information