Thread: [Archetype Discussion] Tron

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

[Archetype Discussion] Tron

What's the best shell for the archetype?

Most of the common splashes I see are:

Green - Ramp/Tooth and Nail

Red - Through the Breach/Wildfire

Blue - support for red/permission

White - support for green

I've lost track of the what's happening in the format. Anyone wanna enlighten me?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: [Archetype Discussion] Tron

I think overall Green/Red has proven to be the best finishing and most explosive of the tron decks. Having Karn maindeck and sometimes hitting him turn 3 is pretty amazing. It also just crushes the mirror match (although that's getting less important). Green/Red gives you consistency in setting up your Tron, and therefore a good deal of speed. Ancient Stirrings and Sylvan Scrying are what really count in this deck, although again, it runs Karns. Some of the decks even run Relics main to randomly blow other decks out or just cycle for 2. Wurmcoil can just win you games against any aggro decks as well.

Blue/White still has some popularity, although I think it is worse. Depending on the version, you can play Remands to buy time, and some of the best creature sweepers, along with a reanimator package, which is nothing to be scoffed at by any deck.

I know HiVal has been working on a UR version to combine the best of both worlds, but I don't know how it went for him. It seems decent on paper though. Found here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...24195-U-R-Tron

Mega Shark VS. Giant Octopus!
    Jan 2009

Yeah, the two successful version of the deck are G/r and U/W.
    If I was going to take one to a tournament I'd choose G/r. The format is pretty well prepared for tron at the moment though.

If I was going to make a new version of tron, it would definitely include green.
    feefox: each card in hand!!!!
    ridicolous
    only fortune

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

On the blue splash,

Has anyone tried Reshape in a more artifact-centric shell (the versions that run Academy Ruins. Also, I keep seeing version that run at most 5 creatures. Is it because it needs that much support to complete the pieces?

PS. I recently won a playset of Tron :)
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Reshape just doesn't seem as good as something like Ancient Stirrings, which can grab you the powerful non-artifacts that the deck runs. I don't think artifacts alone are powerful enough, as things like Karn, All is Dust, and the Eldrazi are basically the backbone of the deck.

5 Creatures are the normal amount because you only usually need only 1 of them to hit play to win, and you have all sorts of ways to find them ( Eye of Ugin, Ancient Stirrings or Thirst for Knowledge in the blue version). You also don't want them clogging up your hand, as getting 2-3 in your opener is pretty much auto-mulligan.

Mar 2011
    Boston, MA

If you're playing UR, you want all 3 Eldrazi to Gifts for Emrakul/Kozilek/Ulamog/Breach. Possibly some number of Wurmcoils in place of Kozilek depending how many aggressive decks you expect to face.

My current RG list has 2 Wurmcoil, 1 Ulamog, 1 Emrakul, 4 Karn, 2 Slaver main with another Wurmcoil in the board. I top 4ed a small (~25 people) event this weekend with RG and I'm still very happy with its place in the metagame.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Playing G/r Tron with Tooth and Nail and maindeck Karns (3.) I also use Through the Breach as my alternate avenue with 4 maindeck Emmys. I really love that setup, its my deck of choice in modern.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information